(Topic ID: 226185)

Friggin work blocked Pinside

By northerndude

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BCA0D791-F82F-44A9-A47F-23BA13F43CBF (resized).jpeg
    b62 (resized).jpg
    a1e (resized).png
    d015c2fabb3bff9f4a28eb4a5e366541 (resized).jpg
    oNoFkb.gif
    2ivl3z (resized).jpg

There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Try explaining that to the military/DoD/government institutions.
    Must be nice to poo poo around on the net at work. That shit don't happen where I work.

You guys do know that when I typed that, it's because DoD has our computers on lock down so damn tight sometimes it's amazing they even boot up...?

It takes Windows 10 sometimes 5 to 7 full entire minutes to load because of all the security software they install. Sometimes, it can take 30 seconds or so to see Google even load.

I wasn't implying that I'm some kind of slave driver....me and the rest of my workmates are the ones being told "You want Internet? Yep, nope." If it ends with a ".com" and is not a secure page, kiss it goodbye.

I'm ALL ABOUT having a lil' personal freedom at work to unwind and relax. What I meant was "I don't get to do that...."

#102 5 years ago

There is no right or wrong answer to this argument honestly. Some people are good workers and they are fine if they check in on pinside occasionally and they will do a good job for their employer and be happy that they have the freedom to surf pinside occasionally.

Then you got dead beats that if you give them the freedom to have internet access they are going to take advantage of their employers generosity and they will be surfing the internet or be on Pinside all damn day and not get shit done. Those kind of people are of no value to their employer and they indeed do need a slave driving boss on their ass constantly in order to get anything done.

Its more of a people problem than anything and the dead beats ruin it for the good employees also so the company just takes the Internet away from everyone, because God forbid you single our some lazy azz POS that wont do his job, we cant have that in todays world can we? Its a people problem plain and simple. Some people need slave driving bosses and some people are self motivated and dont need a boss at all.

#103 5 years ago

Print out the latest posts before work and read the paper copies at work. Note your witty and helpful comments in the margins and then transcribe them when you get home/online.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Print out the latest posts before work and read the paper copies at work. Note your witty and helpful comments in the margins and then transcribe them when you get home/online.

Haha I wonder if there is genuinely anyone out there that does that?

#105 5 years ago
    a1e (resized).pnga1e (resized).pngb62 (resized).jpgb62 (resized).jpg
    #106 5 years ago

Work time blown browsing and social media on mobile devices is costing all economies around the world hundreds of millions if not billions.

I am guilty as charged

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Work time blown browsing and social media on mobile devices is costing all economies around the world hundreds of millions if not billions.
    I am guilty as charged

So does March Madness, but a lot of companies seem to be fairly supportive of that.

#108 5 years ago

I think this post shows why you do not see labels that say, "Made in Canada"

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Americans favourite made in Canada !

BCA0D791-F82F-44A9-A47F-23BA13F43CBF (resized).jpegBCA0D791-F82F-44A9-A47F-23BA13F43CBF (resized).jpeg
    #110 5 years ago

That's funny

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mark66:

As a side note, it is ok to go take multiple smoke breaks but not ok to take a quick look at some website,but gee, I don't smoke??

Isn’t that the damn truth!!

#112 5 years ago

There is a word for using company time and resources for personal use...

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Then you got dead beats that if you give them the freedom to have internet access they are going to take advantage of their employers generosity and they will be surfing the internet or be on Pinside all damn day and not get shit done.

There's a simple solution - you do performance reviews to see if people are getting their work done or not. Either their work is getting done and on time, or it isn't. Has nothing to do with internet access or how employees spend their time.

General productivity goes up the more relaxed and engaged an employee is. Nothing destroys productivity like useless restrictions and micro-management. If they require constant vigilance then maybe they should be fired.

#114 5 years ago

Amen to that.

#115 5 years ago

Now I live in fear I block it at my work.

No tech support, no Pinside. No "The Ranch".

I'll be sad.

LTG : )

#116 5 years ago

Man some of you have to lighten up.

Goofing off at work is as old as work itself.

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

There's a simple solution - you do performance reviews to see if people are getting their work done or not. Either their work is getting done and on time, or it isn't. Has nothing to do with internet access or how employees spend their time.
    General productivity goes up the more relaxed and engaged an employee is. Nothing destroys productivity like useless restrictions and micro-management. If they require constant vigilance then maybe they should be fired.

Yes! I get it that if people are doing something task oriented (e.g. assembly line work) than less time means less widgets produced.

It if f'ing nuts to think that you can or should manage a knowledge worker that way. I have days/weeks where I am flat out and barely have a chance to eat lunch and I have days where I go for coffees and mess around on the web before I head home early. The important thing though is to get shit done if you are then why not make work as pleasant as possible?

#118 5 years ago

Way too many pissed off minimum wages here. Maybe the guy doesn't have some shitty job at his local walmart and actually has educated himself to the point that he has a job affording him his leisure time. Millennial or not, most people aim to do work they enjoy. Nobody enjoys punching a clock. That's why those jobs are easy to get. Spend your time and money to better yourselves and you dont have to bitch about those more fortunate than yourself. Also, this guy never "bitched" about being booted, he just was letting people know to see how they feel about it.
    On another note, are you his boss? Then who cares what hes doing. Focus on your own sad lives

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah, it's not like the 80s where we did lines of blow and had three martini lunches before going back to work to fix the brakes on your wife's car.

#120 5 years ago

I made 7 grand pooping on overtime last year.

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, it's not like the 80s where we did lines of blow and had three martini lunches before going back to work to fix the brakes on your wife's car.

Ahh, The good ol'days.

#122 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Ahh, The good ol'days.

It carried over into the 90s when I took a job at another auto shop.

The day I started one of the other mechanics asked me "Listen motherf#ker, do you smoke weed?" I said "why?" "Because if you don't, we don't need you here"

#123 5 years ago

I'm amazed my work doesn't have any filters on it. With that said, I am usually too busy at work and only typically visit pinside either at lunch, or in the bathroom.

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

only typically visit pinside either at lunch, or in the bathroom.

Those are the times I don't visit pinside. I hate to interrupt a good thing.

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

I am also very well aware of the history and evolution of workers unions. The importance and activities of unions(most glaringly public sector unions) in the twenty first century developed world is far different from it's roots.

I'll agree with you that the missions that were the union's in the 20 Century have evolved. I also realize that all of the reasons that gave rise to the unions still exist. Those types that hated the unions in the 1930s still hate them today. Take away the rest of the unions that are still left and see how fast we would revert to cheap labor, no benefits, no overtime pay, you get the idea.

And then consider that the same people who would do away with the unions would like to give Social Security the boot, too.

Consider that these people that I speak of are the same too rich, privileged bastards, that Franklin Roosevelt hob nobbed with. They hated him for the New Deal. They hated him for starting Social Security. They hated him for allowing unions to flourish. And they are still out there with their all-for-me-none-for-you attitudes.

Pro-Union.

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Nothing destroys productivity like useless restrictions and micro-management.

you mean like... over-moderation?

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Did your employer hire you to look at Pinside as part of your job??? If not I do not blame them. Spot screwing around and do what they hired you to do.

I read you post. And reread it. Then read it again. Aren't you guilty of making several rather heroic assumptions here?

1) You don't know what his employer hired him to do.

2) You don't know if he is an hourly wage slave or a salary man.

3) You have no idea what standards and restrictions he works under.

4) Is he a production worker or is he sitting behind a desk? You don't know because you did not ask.

You made that fatal mistake of assuming. Of assuming everyone lives like you. Assuming everyone has a job like yours.

When I was a kid I worked in a fast food joint. If we were not serving hamburgers we were constantly wiping down the counter to look busy. That's what the boss wanted. We could have stood there with our arms crossed until the next customer walked in and would have been just as productive but the boss wanted to see "busy" work.

My girlfriend works in a hospital lab. Sometimes they are covered up with patients getting blood tests and all sort of things a lab does for sick people. Other times there are no patients and not a damn thing to a lab tech to do. There is a custodial staff that mops the floors. There is a maintenance staff to change out the light bulbs. So, no patients equals downtime. When your job is what comes across your desk and nothing is coming across your desk what would you suggest a person doing a job like my girlfriend supposed to do? Is she supposed to start wiping down the counters so the boss can see that she is "busy"? She is doing what she was hired to do. If the work is not there, by your standards, what is she supposed to do? Look at an empty screen on the computer that sits on her desk?

EDIT: I almost forget this: My brother-in-law used to work for a pipeline that pumps gas to your hot water heater. His job was the compressor station where four huge diesel engines compressed the gas and pushed it through the pipes. His job was to monitor the valves and switches and gates to make sure all was well. He had to make the rounds once an hour which involved turning his chair around and looking at some brass weights that actually did the work.

He was a regular customer of the city library. When I went to visit him one time he had six books stacked up to read. All on the company's dime.

But there were those other times when one of those huge diesels would fail and for the next three days it was balls to the wall repairing 25% of your compressing power. Or a gas line would collapse and it would be a crew out digging up a blown pipe and replacing it and working all day and all night until the job was done.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Oh f--k off with you...You're free to make your points, except when you wipe yourself with the rules, which clearly are no politics. Nobody else felt the need to breech that here.

LOL, 2 of my posts were moderated as political. I agree with you that they were not political. I think you may have meant broach instead of breech, but no matter. I do not quite understand how I am wiping myself with the rules, and I will gladly f--k off with an acceptable candidate. I absolutely reserve the right to be judgmental with who I f--k off with.

3 weeks later
    #129 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think those that need to lighten up....are probably those that are the enforcers for work productivity that block their employees computers...except their own PC.

#130 5 years ago

I work at a large govt facility in the DC area. They have a public WiFi system. If I try to get on Pinside, it’s blocked because of the content. I think they think it’s used for gambling or something.

#131 5 years ago

Typically filtering takes place by category, not by somebody needling through hours of your web history to see what inappropriate sites are being visited. If they have a public WiFi system, they may be required by the government (themselves?) to filter to a certain standard to receive public tax dollars for said service.

Sucks that it was blocked. Time to use your phone's data plan, get on board with a VPN, or ignore this site during business hours.

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

I think those that need to lighten up....are probably those that are the enforcers for work productivity that block their employees computers...except their own PC.

Stop it. You and I aren't supposed to agree on anything.

#133 5 years ago

Can't block my Mobile Network on my personal device. Luckily I can multitask during compiles.

2 years later
    #134 3 years ago

Resurrecting this thread!! Company got a new mcafee security going through the browsers, most stuff still locked up, but pinside back baby!!!!

#135 3 years ago

Welcome back during work hours!

#136 3 years ago

I do all my pinsiding at work, on a company phone.

#137 3 years ago

I remeber this thread. Hard to believe it has been 2 years.

#138 3 years ago

Just look at it on your phone.

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I almost spit out my coffee when I read this. Friggin hilarious!!

#140 3 years ago

I am at work right now!

#141 3 years ago

The OP got off easy. One large company I worked for long ago warned us about
    excessive personal phone calls and internet use. A couple of months later, during a
    staff meeting we were reminded of the policy. Our d-bag supervisor then proceeded
    to read a transcript of a conversation between a very hard core Mormon guy in our
    group and his wife. Dead silence. I thought the guy that was the target was going
    to rip the head off his boss. Half hidden spy cameras started showing up
    soon after that. Many, including me, quit.

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

HA, in a huge union, they could't get rid of me for surfing pinball shit in a million years
    I usually surf around when I go in early for a bit before work starts anyway.

as a proud union member in a right to work state with hardly any unions left I strive to be the the hardest and fastest person on the job site to eliminate that negative stigma, that statement you made kinda pisses me off man. WE are lucky to be union, dont take it for granted

#143 3 years ago

oh shit, didnt realize this thread is old.

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

The OP got off easy. One large company I worked for long ago warned us about
    excessive personal phone calls and internet use. A couple of months later, during a
    staff meeting we were reminded of the policy. Our d-bag supervisor then proceeded
    to read a transcript of a conversation between a very hard core Mormon guy in our
    group and his wife. Dead silence. I thought the guy that was the target was going
    to rip the head off his boss. Half hidden spy cameras started showing up
    soon after that. Many, including me, quit.

That’s messed up.

#145 3 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Resurrecting this thread!! Company got a new mcafee security going through the browsers, most stuff still locked up, but pinside back baby!!!!

Couldn't you just use your cell phone to look at pinside.

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

as a proud union member in a right to work state with hardly any unions left I strive to be the the hardest and fastest person on the job site to eliminate that negative stigma, that statement you made kinda pisses me off man. WE are lucky to be union, dont take it for granted

oh shit, didnt realize this thread is old.

Don't worry about it. I paid dues for 25 years. I understand where you are coming from. Every company, every industry has its share of no-loads. And when it is union, the ones who bust their ass take the heat the no-loads generate.

#147 3 years ago

It wasn't a knock at being in a union. Holy fuck, I just couldn't see pinside on at work for a couple years. I usually check it early in am.
    I use my brain and work for my money. if your such a proud union guy, then you know how the fucking plugs get by and never get the axe. I'm not one of those.

#148 3 years ago

Nothing could be further from the truth that Union workers are lazy and have it made. That was true back in the 60' 70's and early 80's maybe but it's not true at all in today's world. I am not pro union but unions need to make a comeback because middle class workers are getting shit on so bad right now that it's not even funny.

I am in a union and I work hard and we also get treated like shit. Unions have no power at all today. People are treated bad and are losing their pensions right and left. . Also for anyone who thinks you cant get fired in a union, come to work where I do and they will show you how wrong you are. Union workers today are some of the hardest working men and women that I've ever seen.

#149 3 years ago

Sometimes the people who should get fired, that the union gets them their job back is because the company didn't follow the protocols that they agreed to in the union contract. i know of one place in particular, that wouldn't write anyone up, but would then try to fire them. Usually there is a way to fire someone, you just have to follow the correct procedure.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

Sometimes the people who should get fired, that the union gets them their job back is because the company didn't follow the protocols that they agreed to in the union contract. i know of one place in particular, that wouldn't write anyone up, but would then try to fire them. Usually there is a way to fire someone, you just have to follow the correct procedure.

Teachers unions won't touch the lamest teacher. If you have tenure, you are golden. Sweet benefits and a pension to boot.

There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/friggin-work-blocked-pinside/page/3?hl=eagle18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.