(Topic ID: 226185)

Friggin work blocked Pinside

By northerndude

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BCA0D791-F82F-44A9-A47F-23BA13F43CBF (resized).jpeg
    b62 (resized).jpg
    a1e (resized).png
    d015c2fabb3bff9f4a28eb4a5e366541 (resized).jpg
    oNoFkb.gif
    2ivl3z (resized).jpg
    There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:Why would someone in IT have to do something like that.

Apparently, it is the aliens that have invaded our planet that would have us humans work like slaves.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

How much time have you spent in this thread? How much did that cost you and/or your company?

Today is my day off. And at least 5 minutes

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Or someone in the IT dept saw a website that wasn’t filtered yet that is tagged with “games” in its detail and they got rid of it because it “came up”?

I guess my point was if the IT dept has to block sites with "games" tag in the title, just tells me that the company has a problem with employees wasting time doing things they are not supposed to be doing on the job. If that makes me a "scumbag or shity boss" for saying that, so be it. If you are doing it on a break, or lunch, whatever I have no problem with that. I guess some companies are ok with it and some aren't.

His obviously is not.

#54 5 years ago

I’m self employed.. nobody can stop me! However, I make a whopping $0/hr while I’m in here

#55 5 years ago

Setup a proxy at your house and browse whatever you want. Connect over SSL or a VPN.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

VERY big "shouldn't be surfing at work" crowd here.

for some; its surfing first, work second.

Quoted from 85vett:

Before you become a smart ass with me and my time now.

#57 5 years ago

Anything related to pinball is blocked at my job! Started about one year ago... I shouldn’t have gotten others hooked.

#58 5 years ago

Wow, that's nice? Mods just straight-up *delete* posts now? LOL. That's new, and hilarious.

Ya'll ready to change the name to VNBoards yet, or do I have to be permabanned twice first?

Quoted from timab2000:

If that makes me a "scumbag or shity boss" for saying that, so be it.

Your attitude (and frankly, ignorance) that employees should do nothing but slave for idiots all day long in obscenely boring office jobs with no way to 'recharge' for a few minutes is the problem, not the opinion that people at work should primarily be doing...you know...work? Key word: PRIMARILY. It's up to management to get off their lazy %)$@*&!es and actually set metrics and standards, and when people AREN'T meeting them, take action. Course, if you're on the interwebz messing around with social media and get fired for making your company look the fool...then you deserve it. But reading CNN, or Pinside, or something pretty benign for a minute or two to clear the cobwebs and drudgery? Yeah, nobody deserves to be fired, or even written up for it.

If you're going to reduce a person to being a "valued employee" vs. "worthless piece of trash get out of my office you slacker" over 325/YEAR in "lost productivity" that you can't even prove (and every recent study has utterly contradicted in terms of web browsing) because they're still hitting or exceeding the targets you set....then yeah...you're pretty much a scumbag running Wal-Mart at that point. Raise the metrics if you want more productivity, but you better be prepared to back it up when everyone on the team suddenly starts failing them because they've become utterly unreasonable and you have no productive way to coach people on how to meet them reliably, since you were so concerned with it.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Wow, that's nice? Mods just straight-up *delete* posts now? LOL. That's new, and hilarious.

No, not new. You are only at stage "1". lol. Although I am a little surprised you haven't seen more of this.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

They could have just fired you. Be glad you are just blocked.

That would be quite the stretch. The $@*$ people have pulled in my 20 years with the company and still are here would BLOW YOUR $%&# MIND THEN, if sniffing around a pinball site here gets you ready for a good firing.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:HA, in a huge union, they could't get rid of me for surfing pinball shit in a million years
    I usually surf around when I go in early for a bit before work starts anyway.

Please stay in Canada, we have more than enough slugs here in the states.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

So are you anti - Union, or anti - lazy person?

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

So, don't look at a pinball site before work?

I'm not a union guy anyway, I'm just in one because I have a career at this company. It's insanely technical, and I prob get more done here in a day than you get done in a week.

#64 5 years ago

Ha, just jokes, it's really slow right now... if you dug a hole 1 ft deep x 1 foot wide x 1 foot long, you might have got more done than me today

#65 5 years ago

Could this be an imamaculate tote blocked pinball website extravaganza?
    It has memes and insults.
    It is a swirling cloud ready to go category 5......

#66 5 years ago

Our last director was nothing but numbers, pie charts and graphs. Before he came we all worked our ass off. After all he started doing was sitting in his office dreaming up "policies" and "sop's" all day everyone started hating him. Guess what happened? People started pencil whipping shit and basically said FU. He's gone now and they will never get the productivity back up.

We charge a set rate for one of our services at an hour. Before he came we could kick ass and get 5 or 6 done in and hour and move on to other orders. After he started that shit my guys do the same 5 or 6 and disappear for the other 4 or 5 hours. "Hey, I got 5 hours time what else can I do?"

Pisses me off when I got 20 work orders sitting there.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I disagree there should be no down time. And if there is send them home, why pay to do nothing???
    Old school thinking...you bet!

And totally wrong. Proven wrong, in fact.

#68 5 years ago

Penny pinching time tracking and shit like “you better be in your seat 9-5” is thankfully dying out.

I get a salary and all that matters is shit gets done - who cares about specific hours? All that gets you is pissed off workers who hate you.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Ok... let's say you spend 5 minutes a day looking a pinside at your job. And let's say you make $15 an hour. What does that cost your employer??
    $15 and hour equals .25 cents a minute times 5 minutes, that's $1.25 times 5 days a week equals $6.25, times 52 weeks equals $325. Get the point??
    Lets say your employer has 50 employees all doing the same thing.....$16250 a year in lost wages.
    Try being an employer and you'll do the same thing, if you do not fire the guy or gal first.
    Something to think about...................

Oh god.....

d015c2fabb3bff9f4a28eb4a5e366541 (resized).jpgd015c2fabb3bff9f4a28eb4a5e366541 (resized).jpg
    #70 5 years ago

This is why I'm self employed.
    I can drop what I'm doing at a moments notice to go look at a machine on CL

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

lots of old school thinkers in here...
    companies should never block the internet from SFW sites like Pinside. Productivity is what matters and retaining good workers by allowing and even encouraging downtime to surf is smart business.

Try explaining that to the military/DoD/government institutions.

Must be nice to poo poo around on the net at work. That shit don't happen where I work.

#72 5 years ago

My work blocked it to. When I try thru wifi says its an unsafe site.....?
    IT guys are smart.

#73 5 years ago

My work didn’t really block it like it does other sites. It just doesn’t load when I try to go to it. It just comes up like a blank screen. If I try to check my lotto tickets on my lunch break the company blocks that page with an official block page.

#74 5 years ago

Just turn off the wi-fi on your phone and use the 4G, might be slow but 'round these parts we all have unlimited data...
    I gotta have my Pinside!

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

My work didn’t really block it like it does other sites. It just doesn’t load when I try to go to it. It just comes up like a blank screen. If I try to check my lotto tickets on my lunch break the company blocks that page with an official block page.

Exactly the same here man, LOL

#76 5 years ago

You guys need to use an internet proxy. Back in High School, our district blocked every website under the sun that didn't have any educational merit to it. Websites with Flash games and YouTube were all blocked. Us lazy ass kids who wanted to pretend we were working discovered those proxy websites that would skirt around the internet blocking the district imposed.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spinape:

those are different?

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

You guys need to use an internet proxy. Back in High School, our district blocked every website under the sun that didn't have any educational merit to it. Websites with Flash games and YouTube were all blocked. Us lazy ass kids who wanted to pretend we were working discovered those proxy websites that would skirt around the internet blocking the district imposed.

Proxy sites, (by A-hole IT guys like me), get blocked right away. As a longtime IT admin, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that it is better to give people enough rope to hang themselves, then it is to try and keep the rope as short as possible. I keep a lot of stuff that isn't malicious (but time wasting) unblocked. It is easy enough for me to run a report for a supervisor if there are concerns of abuse.

#79 5 years ago

the only sites I go to at work are Indeed and Monster.com
    So I can find another job

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

That's great material

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spinape:

Both...Not being lazy is the best representation a worker can have. The number of slugs across the spectrum is so massive now(thanks cancerous, demoralizing and debasing Left), that virtually anybody with a modicum of common sense and drive will excel in the workplace.

#82 5 years ago

Well, isn't that great, you call me a slug a few times already, but amazingly enough i'm extremely active and not lazy at work at all. So apparently this trait is: I will quote: "Not being lazy is the best representation a worker can have" Hmmmmm........

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Must be nice to poo poo around on the net at work. That shit don't happen where I work.

Obviously you are better than everyone here.

#84 5 years ago

I actually was not referring to you again in the post, I was responding to the question Spinape posed. If you are not lazy at work, the odds are that even without union representation, you would not get fired in a million years(to quote you). If my opinion about not being a lazy worker compelled a Hmmmmm from you, can I assume you disagree?

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

This actually made me LOL. Because it’s true!

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Both...Not being lazy is the best representation a worker can have. The number of slugs across the spectrum is so massive now(thanks cancerous, demoralizing and debasing Left), that virtually anybody with a modicum of common sense and drive will excel in the workplace.

Surely you know the importance of unions and what they’ve done for workers over the years?? I don’t need to give you a list I hope? I don’t like lazy people, that’s fine. I’m self employed, so not part of a union, but I’m very aware of they have done through history

#87 5 years ago

I am also very well aware of the history and evolution of workers unions. The importance and activities of unions(most glaringly public sector unions) in the twenty first century developed world is far different from it's roots.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

I am also very well aware of the history and evolution of workers unions. The importance and activities of unions(most glaringly public sector unions) in the twenty first century developed world is far different from it's roots.

Yes, there are some safeguards to some of the public sector unions that shouldn’t exist. I’m more referring to the labour force. Unions are disappearing and the gap between classes has gotten so bad, the last time we saw such inequity was before the two great wars.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

lots of old school thinkers in here...
    companies should never block the internet from SFW sites like Pinside. Productivity is what matters and retaining good workers by allowing and even encouraging downtime to surf is smart business.

+1

There are ways to deal with errant individuals.

To give an analogy, where I work there used to be 3 days of full pay sick leave a year (on top of statutory sick pay). At some point they decided that some, maybe even just one or two people were treating it as 3 extra days holiday a year. Solution? Cancel it completely for everyone. If you're off sick you don't get paid or you have to burn one of your holiday days...

Problem solved right? Except now people who are genuinely ill feel compelled to force themselves to come in during their most contagious days because they can't afford not to, thus infecting others. In many cases people end up having to call in sick because they're just too ill to come in or to drive etc, not get paid and feel upset and disenfranchised with the company because of it. All because it couldn't be dealt with on an individual basis. So this policy impacts more people, and leads to more being off (except now those people are probably looking for other jobs every time they're reminded that they're not being paid), not less.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

+1
    There are ways to deal with errant individuals.
    To give an analogy, where I work there used to be 3 days of full pay sick leave a year (on top of statutory sick pay). At some point they decided that some, maybe even just one or two people were treating it as 3 extra days holiday a year. Solution? Cancel it completely for everyone. If you're off sick you don't get paid or you have to burn one of your holiday days...
    Problem solved right? Except now people who are genuinely ill feel compelled to force themselves to come in during their most contagious days thus infecting others. In many cases people end up having to call in sick because they're just too ill to come in or to drive etc, not get paid and feel upset and disenfranchised with the company because of it. All because it couldn't be dealt with on an individual basis. So this policy impacts more people, and leads to more being off (except now those people are probably looking for other jobs every time they're reminded that they're not being paid), not less.

This is how crap is handled these days. If there is a problem child or two we have a meeting to scold everyone - not the a#^%$5holes causing the problem. So as a Good employee, you get reprimanded for others bad behavior. As has been stated previously, it can be easily reported on someones excessive use of web surfing and whether or not their work is being completed. In todays world we'll just block it so nobody can access it, sending the wrong message here. As a side note, it is ok to go take multiple smoke breaks but not ok to take a quick look at some website,but gee, I don't smoke??

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

thanks cancerous, demoralizing and debasing Left)

Oh f--k off with you...You're free to make your points, except when you wipe yourself with the rules, which clearly are no politics. Nobody else felt the need to breech that here.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Could this be an imamaculate tote blocked pinball website extravaganza?
    It has memes and insults.
    It is a swirling cloud ready to go category 5......

I want in before it goes to the basement

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Obviously you are better than everyone here.

That's a nice compliment. Thanks : D!

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

#95 5 years ago

IBTL I surf the web all day at my job. Pinside is one of my main stops!

#96 5 years ago

I call it on the job training.

The internet is chock full of useful information, most not even job related, that helps expand the mind and make me a better employee at the same time.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I call it on the job training.
    The internet is chock full of useful information, most not even job related, that helps expand the mind and make me a better employee at the same time.

I like they way you think!

#98 5 years ago

I used to to work hard all the time, then they said my erections were inappropriate

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

I used to to work hard all the time, then they said my erections were inappropriate

We have a winner

#100 5 years ago

Just disconnect from the corporate LAN and use the hotspot on your phone. Surfing Pinside is not data intensive.

There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/friggin-work-blocked-pinside/page/2?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.