20230720_145129 (resized).jpg
IMG_6173 (resized).JPG
IMG_6175 (resized).JPG
IMG_6211 (resized).JPG
IMG_6154 (resized).JPG
IMG_7234 (resized).JPG
IMG_7233 (resized).PNG

#1 7 months ago

When I got my Friendship 7 I thought the backglass image looked like a teenager instead of John Glenn. But the artist apparently copied the news photo fairly closely - still too young, but same pose and equipment. Plus freckles!

IMG_7233 (resized).PNGIMG_7233 (resized).PNGIMG_7234 (resized).JPGIMG_7234 (resized).JPG

#2 7 months ago

What are the odds of 2 1962 Friendship 7’s being within 10 miles of one another? I have to play mine as it’s been awhile.

#3 7 months ago

It may have been one of the very first pinball machine themes based on an actual event.

#4 7 months ago
Quoted from hjh632:

When I got my Friendship 7 I thought the backglass image looked like a teenager instead of John Glenn. But the artist apparently copied the news photo fairly closely - still too young, but same pose and equipment. Plus freckles!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Is that an original backglass?
Not very many good originals around.

#5 7 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

It may have been one of the very first pinball machine themes based on an actual event.

After I posted I was trying to think of other games based on real people and events. All I came up with was 'modern' games based on bands (like Kiss) or movie themes and actors. Nothing from real news events. Any other examples?

Quoted from jrpinball:

Is that an original backglass?

Not certain but I think it must be a repro. It's too mint to be a 1962 original. The rest of the game was in terrible shape. Here is a list of problems and fixes:

Hooked up loose wires on coin door and fuse panel, now starts with dime. (But not every time)

Cabinet is stripped to bare wood, old contact paper, and duct tape gunk.

Backglass is excellent.

100 reel nonfunctioning, gapped switch on 100 point relay.

Ball count unit subtracted all remaining balls at first ball drain. One spring in wrong place and two gummed up shafts oiled. Escapement now rocks back and forth as it should.

Only adds 3 or 4 balls at start up. Now does 5 every time.

Flippers very weak. Filed all contacts, relays, and gapped EOS. Flippers now reach game top.

No lights in backbox. Cleaned Jones plugs.

Ball in play lights not working. Cleaned BCU rivets.

Replaced backbox lights and flashers.

Chime coil burned and stuck plunger. Bell coil plunger clogged. Knocker plunger sticks. Cleaned bell and knocker, all good; chime coil burned and melted with plunger frozen inside. Installed new chime coil.

Ball release did not always work. Cleaned right-most trough switch.

Roll under switch not working. Changed trigger gap.

BCU running on and on at start up. Cleaned and gapped zero position switch.

Worked on 1, 2, 3, 4 lanes not always tripping relays. Reset bar was not retracting, blocking relays from tripping. Put on stronger spring and adjusted individual switches.
But still did not give free ball until score motor ran by being triggered by scoring 30 points, etc. Found switch on # 2 relay not quite making and regapped to immediately run score motor and score free ball.

Right slingshot did not score. Adjusted switch.

Shortened return spring on 100 point reel, was returning very slowly or not quite making it, hanging up halfway.

Top bumper lights and roll under switch lights did not rotate. Cleaned and gapped make-break switch on Change Relay.

High tapped, labeled all relays.

Inked blue on pop bumper caps incised lettering.

Yellow bumper lights very dim. Adjusted "on" yellow relay make-break switch.

Made pinwheel patterns, mixed paint, and painted backbox, cabinet.

Replaced tilt light socket, fooled with wires and Jones plugs until it worked.

Cleaned inserts from underneath.

New front and back locks.

Wired in and installed door 'start' button.

1000 reel sluggish. Was rubbing on backglass because hairpin was in crooked.

Game wouldn't start or would quit mid game. Lock relay was releasing. Cleaned kick-off switch.

Game started normally and added 5 balls. But would add to ten if hit start button again instead of counting back to zero and up again. Game relay was not tripping (releasing). Cleaned switch on game relay that activated game relay trip coil.

Top right roll through did not score. Every other single point score any where would lock on 10's score reel. Was misadjusted switch at roll over.

Tilt light won't come on. Adjusted switches.

#6 7 months ago
IMG_6154 (resized).JPGIMG_6154 (resized).JPGIMG_6211 (resized).JPGIMG_6211 (resized).JPG
#7 7 months ago

I'm definitely no expert at restoration but got it much closer to presentable.

IMG_6173 (resized).JPGIMG_6173 (resized).JPGIMG_6175 (resized).JPGIMG_6175 (resized).JPG
#8 7 months ago

Nice work!
That backglass must be a BG Resto. Their reproduction glass has very nice deep colors.
The original repro run of this glass lacked the deep flesh tones; Glenn's face is quite pale. That's why I thought maybe yours was original.

#9 7 months ago
Quoted from Mank:

What are the odds of 2 1962 Friendship 7’s being within 10 miles of one another? I have to play mine as it’s been awhile.

I've owned three of them.
I'm going to visit a friend today who has one of them set up in his basement gameroom.

#10 7 months ago

I restored one for a friend, and bought the Shay replacement backglass - it's very nice! And as JR said, the flesh-tones of John Glenn's face are nice and warm. I usually only put warm white LED's behind the bg, but on this one, I put 2 yellow LED's behind his face and it really warmed it up nicely.

It's post #5 of this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1962-friendship-7-back-to-life

The coil for the 100's chime in the head burned out twice while it was in a public arcade - the ball tends to get stuck under the wire of the rollunder and in a public space when it's on free play, people just walk away from it like that....coil fries. It's in a private home now, so hopefully that won't happen again.

#11 7 months ago
Quoted from paulace:

I put 2 yellow LED's behind his face and it really warmed it up nicely.

I remember that post - I always read everything on the forum about a new game that I get. I'll get those yellow bulbs next time I'm ordering something at PBR. Thanks for that tip.

#12 7 months ago

My friend's copy is quite nice, but it has the washed out looking repro backglass.

20230720_145129 (resized).jpg20230720_145129 (resized).jpg
#13 7 months ago

I can confirm that the backglass above (it's mine) is a BGResto, the friend I bought the game from told me he had it done. I love the colors in hjh632's backglass. Greener greens in the space capsule and the face isn't all pasty. Even the sample on the BGResto website looks way better than my actual backglass.

Please don't take this as a knock on BGResto, I've used him several times and compared to what I originally had, I'm very happy.

20200510_181908 (resized).jpg20200510_181908 (resized).jpg
#14 7 months ago
Quoted from RWHjunkie:

I can confirm that the backglass above (it's mine) is a BGResto

Here's my Friendship "7" backglass. I'm pretty sure this was the very first backglass
I bought back in the 90s. I'm thinking it came from California. I believe it was from a
run of 12. It maybe looks a little peel, but much better than the original it came with..
I see you have a Vagabond set up. Recently, someone complimented on Vagabond.
I'm thinking maybe about digging mine out..

IMG_0743 (resized).JPGIMG_0743 (resized).JPG
#15 7 months ago

This is definitely an original backglass.

IMG_6447 (resized).jpegIMG_6447 (resized).jpeg
#16 7 months ago

Boy, those colors are nice on that original bg!

#17 7 months ago
Quoted from paulace:

Boy, those colors are nice on that original bg!

Yeah. Much better than the repro, but thankfully it was done. Many of these games had trashed backglasses.

#18 7 months ago

Yes, my original was in bad shape. I was grateful someone made replacements because they didn't sell all that many F7's - about 800.

#19 7 months ago

Years later after picking up my first Friendship "7", I stumbled upon another with a very poor backglass,
so I had one made from my repro. This was done only from scanning. It came out decent enough that I
had to look back up at my original repro to tell it's the one on the right that I had done from scanning.
Or at least I'm pretty sure it is..

IMG_0178 (resized).JPGIMG_0178 (resized).JPG
#20 7 months ago
Quoted from hjh632:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Such a great glass. Besides the spiffy artwork, the add-a-ball countdown is a perfect fit for the theme: 10…9…8…

#21 7 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Quoted from hjh632:

After I posted I was trying to think of other games based on real people and events. All I came up with was 'modern' games based on bands (like Kiss) or movie themes and actors. Nothing from real news events. Any other examples?
"on

Great point. A couple of honorable mentions come to mind…

1958 WMS Satellite came out a few months after Sputnik. Another spacey type example!

And then GTB World Fair came out in April 1964, coinciding with the opening of the New York World’s Fair.

ADD7A19E-F5BE-4ED2-BEAF-7C6936401D6F (resized).jpegADD7A19E-F5BE-4ED2-BEAF-7C6936401D6F (resized).jpeg
#22 7 months ago

Coronation (1952) was released to coincide with QEII.

#23 7 months ago
Quoted from AndrewP:

Coronation (1952)

Nice catch, AndrewP. I had never heard of the game. I was 2 years old when it came out!

#24 7 months ago
Quoted from AndrewP:

Coronation (1952) was released to coincide with QEII.

Absolutely correct!

#25 7 months ago

Would love to find one of these machines for sale in CA.

#26 7 months ago

I got mine in Buffalo, NY for $200 since it was in such bad shape (See problem list in post 6 and pictures in post 7.) Once in a while you can still find a deal!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/friendship-7-backglass-art-inspiration?hl=hjh632 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.