(Topic ID: 356758)

Friend that 'slaps' the flipper buttons on my machines. Good or Bad?

By KING-HENRY

55 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 54 days ago by Medisinyl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1937FC30-3E81-4352-9318-CE77720CE022 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20240518_202659 (resized).jpg
    #1 55 days ago

I have a friend that comes over to play my pins (on occasion). He is pretty gentle with my machines, only with a little nudging here and there (which is normal!)..but I have to ask the community here if slapping the flipper buttons almost constantly is a 'bad' thing for new/old machines..in my educated guess, slapping the buttons put more power demand (wear and tear) on the leaves/coils? Can it wear out the conductive ends of the leafs faster? Does it produce more heat to the coils? I honestly want to know, before I start pitchforking him, lol. Any pros that know want to chime in? I'd love to know!
    Thanks in Advance.

#2 55 days ago

My guess is wouldn’t matter I would say holding the flippers would charge the coils more then slapping them

#3 55 days ago

I do not like button slappers...

#4 55 days ago

Nothing will wear out any sooner.

Slapping only helps player push the buttons in faster than normal

I actually only find it to be annoying and loud.

#5 55 days ago

Your pins, your rules.

From a maintenance standpoint, excessive finger rubbing wear on the area around the flipper buttons will wear the paint off the stickers there, eventually leaving some evidence that the machine has been played a lot. There are 'button protectors' that keep the wear from people's hands from showing.

You are flexing the metal 'leaves' of the 'leaf style' button switches inside. Eventually you could have breakage by metal fatigue...

But honestly, your pinball is a commercial duty piece of equipment. It's designed to be played A LOT and not wear out or break.

The leaf switches will take decades of remarkably heavy play before failure.

The coils won't get more heat than pressing the button gently the same amount of time/times would produce.

I tell people about 'nudging' the pinball: "It never hurt the machine, it annoyed the bartender".

You have a very expensive pinball machine. As the host, you have the right to ask people to be respectful of your property, without any explanation, or rationale at all.

Your pins, your rules.

#6 55 days ago
    Quoted from KING-HENRY:

but I have to ask the community here if slapping the flipper buttons almost constantly is a 'bad' thing for new/old machines

Nah.

The inside of the flipper buttons technically might wear slightly faster over time, but nothing that's really noticeable. Any moving parts for the flipper button switches may also wear faster, but again, not really enough to worry about.

If you're concerned about the cab art at all around the flipper button area, just wax it and add mylar.

Personally, I see no reason why I would to ask someone to change their playing style if they are a button slapper and playing one of my games.

#7 55 days ago

i haven't noticed it on flipper buttons, but i have had issues with the action buttons on newer Stern games becoming jammed (especially BK:SOR for some reason); i think those see overall less use but more hard slaps and smashes from all sorts of players, not just the slappers. i've had this problem with stock buttons as well as ones purchased from Marco and PBL but they probably get them all from the same source anyway.

i added a metal washer inside between the button insert and the body under the spring on BK:SOR last week to keep it from pushing down quite so far; it does weaken the backlighting of the button a little but if it works to keep the insert from jamming into the body, i might see about locating some clear washers or having some custom cut.

#8 55 days ago
    Quoted from mc300baud:

i have had issues with the action buttons on newer Stern games becoming jammed (especially BK:SOR for some reason)

I encountered that issue on an EHOH at a show recently. It seemed like the button and housing of the flipper button were just getting hung up on each other. I imagine just replacing the button would fix it.

#9 55 days ago

i dunno i told folks not to be rough with my games.

id probably get the armor for the buttons in case a ring catches the decals, scratches or dents the cab.

#10 55 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I encountered that issue on an EHOH at a show recently. It seemed like the button and housing of the flipper button were just getting hung up on each other. I imagine just replacing the button would fix it.

i replaced the stock button with two from PBL; both did the same thing within a few months or even weeks. then i tried a new button from Marco and had the same problem. in this case these were all Action buttons and not flipper buttons, but four failures in a fairly short amount of time.

so far my only problem with flipper buttons has been the failure of the plastic retaining lip, but i now reinforce buttons on new games with an e-clip just above that lip to keep the two halves from separating.

#11 55 days ago

Maybe try to change his style of play by telling him that a more controlled push of the button will improve his game play. My friends are more direct and we would be laughing and be more like, "bro wtf you doing? It's not your boyfriend's ass. Play right!"

#12 55 days ago

Meh. It's fine. Maybe if they're wearing a ring they might scratch the cabinet.

#13 55 days ago

Don't be a diaper rubber; buttons are there to be pressed, slapped, rolled, clicked, penciled etc etc.

#14 55 days ago

I personally slap the shit out of mine and I also do it to nudge the ball at the same time if necessary. I hate the players that hold and caress the damn buttons like it’s the only date they’re ever gonna have.

My only rule is if you’re a slapper and you wear rings you have to take them off then you’re free to slap until your heart’s content, just don’t do it to your significant other.

#15 55 days ago

It sounds like you're just looking for fodder to get this guy to stop slapping your game- just tell him not to slap your game. Don't need a reason.

#16 55 days ago

slap it like will smith would.

#17 55 days ago

Ask him if he slaps his wife's ass like that. He may realize you dont like it.

#18 55 days ago

Slapping the game will break the flipper buttons over time. The inner piece and spring will pop out from the abuse. New flipper buttons only cost a few bucks tho so I wouldn't be so uptight. It's part of the game and not generally considered abuse by any reasonable person.

#19 55 days ago

Ya bud it’s your games it’s up to u to say something if u don’t like it just say something

#20 55 days ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Ask him if he slaps his wife's ass like that. He may realize you dont like it.

Sounds like a sad weekend for you

#21 55 days ago

Are we talking about slap saves when necessary or slapping with every contact of the flipper button?

#22 55 days ago
    Quoted from AssaultSuit:

Are we talking about slap saves when necessary or slapping with every contact of the flipper button?

Sounds like every time

#23 55 days ago

Not going to hurt anything but I don't like the sound and hate it when people do it.

#24 55 days ago

Slapping the button IN may add minimal wear, but what I've found on newer Sterns is that if you are someone that likes to slide your finger off a down flipper button so is SPRINGS back up unimpeded, that will wear down the molded "keeper" ridge that acts as a button stop. In some cases it doesn't take long for the that ridge to wear down and the button to come flying completely out. I know this because I have a bad habit of doing that, and I've had several buttons come flying out on me! I just push them back in and use a hot soldering iron to create a new ridge. Fixed. Moving on,

#25 55 days ago

If it's slap saving then that's a pinball skill and I use it all the time on my personal machines and on location.

#26 55 days ago
    Quoted from dyopp21:

Slapping the button IN may add minimal wear, but what I've found on newer Sterns is that if you are someone that likes to slide your finger off a down flipper button so is SPRINGS back up unimpeded, that will wear down the molded "keeper" ridge that acts as a button stop. In some cases it doesn't take long for the that ridge to wear down and the button to come flying completely out. I know this because I have a bad habit of doing that, and I've had several buttons come flying out on me! I just push them back in and use a hot soldering iron to create a new ridge. Fixed. Moving on,

Eclips added to the end works too.

#27 55 days ago
    Quoted from dyopp21:

This is good advice and exactly what I was talking about about when referring to damaging the buttons. I am going to try and melt the stem next time. That's a hot tip "no pun intended".

#28 55 days ago

Godzilla movie is taylor swift.
    aa

Added 54 days ago:

Kids posted this sorry!

#29 55 days ago

Have you ever played track n field, won't hurt the buttons at all. He probably doesn't now how to play pinball, little kids slap the buttons. I set my tilts pretty tight so if people play like that they will tilt alot and be more kind to my machines.

#30 55 days ago
    Quoted from mzhulk:

Have you ever played track n field, won't hurt the buttons at all. He probably doesn't now how to play pinball, little kids slap the buttons. I set my tilts pretty tight so if people play like that they will tilt alot and be more kind to my machines.

Yes I do the same thing tilts are really close so if they play hard it will tilt and yes little kids slap the buttons all the time

#31 55 days ago

I've found in commercial use slapping tends to break cap on the outside off.

LTG : )

#32 55 days ago

I have adults that like to nudge and beat my games up quite a bit, and I have kids that love to pound the flippers nonstop.

Never once thought about any of them doing any damage or wearing components out faster. I like to wrench under the playfield, so it doesn't matter if I do need to replace a coil stop or flipper crank. It’s just as much part of the hobby for me as playing.

Everyone’s having a good time, and that’s all that matters to me.

They’re commercial grade machines. I’m not worried.

#33 55 days ago

As a guest in someone’s home, I would never have the balls to do this.

#34 55 days ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

As a guest in someone’s home, I would never have the balls to do this.

No me ether I never would do that

#35 55 days ago

Tell him you have sensory issues and the sound of a hand slapping a cabinet makes your balls tingle.

As for me, I find it annoying but it’s in the realm of a reasonable playing style and I wouldn’t say anything. I’d just be happy to have a buddy in my gameroom having a good time. It won’t hurt the game.

#36 55 days ago

Played like 15 games on the pristine, restored Royal Rumble at my favorite metal bar this weekend. That back left ramp is SO hard to hit and by the end I was slapping the shit outta that button to make that shot.
    Do what ya gotta do. Not abuse. If I see someone abusing a machine we're gonna have some words.

#37 55 days ago

Potato cam lol. She's a beaut Clark

IMG_20240518_202659 (resized).jpgIMG_20240518_202659 (resized).jpg
    #38 55 days ago
    Quoted from AssaultSuit:

Most of the time..not a save (which we all do).

#39 55 days ago

I’ll just say, “Don’t be a Will, Bro!” He’s like what?? Will..Will Smith. Problem solved. Lol. On another note, just installed the flat iron building on GB and just scored this…without slapping that bitch up. (Yeah, my machines are nice and I play the fk outta them, but I also keep a nice thing, well, nice.

EDIT: not sure why the downvotes …I’ll edit the previous sentence to read Id treat machines on location the same”. Which is what I was alluding to.
    1937FC30-3E81-4352-9318-CE77720CE022 (resized).jpeg1937FC30-3E81-4352-9318-CE77720CE022 (resized).jpeg

#40 55 days ago

I wouldn't sweat it. A friendship isn't worth a 99 cent flipper button being the worst case scenario.

No big deal.

#41 55 days ago

Probably just be thankful you have a friend coming over if you are that anal about the machine. How many games would he play on each machine when coming over 5? 10? it is peanuts in the grand scheme of things not going to hurt the pin.

#42 55 days ago
    Quoted from KING-HENRY:

...On another note, just installed the flat iron building on GB and just scored this…without slapping that bitch up.

Playing worries you, but mods are super exciting.

This is all checking out as assumed.

#43 54 days ago

Your house, your rules. If it bothers you, tell him. I was lucky enough to get an invite to play Vic Camp's collection in N Jersey on an overnight trip to NYC for work. They are some of the nicest Gottlieb EM's you could ever play. I was very respectful, these games are pristine and dialed in. While I was playing Vic asked why I didn't nudge them. "Being respectful, they are so nice." I got scolded and watched him play. They are meant to be played hard. I changed my tactics and rolled over his C37 which was great.

Again, your house, your rules.

#44 54 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Playing worries you, but mods are super exciting.
    This is all checking out as assumed.

You assume wrong. I play my machines for damn sure. I don’t have 10K posts here, so I do have fun. Believe it or not.

#45 54 days ago

I’ve noticed I’m a flipper button slapper. Two of my machines I’ve had for 9 years now ( bought both of them new). Not a scratch on either machine and have never replaced any parts.

#46 54 days ago

Button slapping???!!
    Who gives a shit.
    If a buddy of mine started a goofy thread like this talking about me, I’d call him a doosh.

#47 54 days ago
    Quoted from kklank:

Button slapping???!!
    Who gives a shit.
    If a buddy of mine started a goofy thread like this talking about me, I’d call him a doosh.

I’m not saying you’re a doosh though.

#48 54 days ago

Just happy if people are enjoying playing the games. Slap 'em, throw 'em around until they tilt, have fun...

Have a couple aggressive friends vs my own playstyle, and nothing has been damaged, and I'm confident I could fix anything that could get worn (ultimately happens no matter how careful, and flipper components aren't likely to go before something else fails [unless one of Stern's weak coil stops ]).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.