• Latest reply 10 years ago by Hyperion
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0228.PNG
#1 11 years ago

So I was working on my 1981 Stern Lightning, replacing a flipper coil on the upper playfield. I got it in and turned on the game tested it and blew 7amp fuse, thats when i realised I put it in backwards! AARGH! I thought no big deal just take it out flip it & replace the fuse. But after doing that the displays and the game still wont start up .... which way do I go now?

#2 11 years ago

You can jump some points on the board on my ID4 and check to see if the board needs work. I am not sure if it is the same on that board. I am sure somebody has the info.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

So I was working on my 1981 Stern Lightning, replacing a flipper coil on the upper playfield. I got it in and turned on the game tested it and blew 7amp fuse, thats when i realised I put it in backwards! AARGH! I thought no big deal just take it out flip it & replace the fuse. But after doing that the displays and the game still wont start up .... which way do I go now?

Check the selonoid power fuse on the power board. If it is blown the game will not boot as the CPU will look for 43v DC before continuing.

Did you put the wires on backward on the flipper coil? If so, and the coil has a diode, the diode is now shorted and will need to be replaced.

Parker

#4 11 years ago

What parker said.

Watch the MPU led flash up. If it only flashes 6 times and fails to go into attract your solenoid fuse is blown. I think it is f4.

#5 11 years ago

Check BR3, might have gotten taken out when the wires were switched. Check for 43vdc at TP5

// Error: Image 50934 not found //

#6 11 years ago

Oops, here's the schematic...

IMG_0228.PNGIMG_0228.PNG

#7 11 years ago

You'll need to replace the diode(s) on the flipper coil. They probably were toasted.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#8 11 years ago

For sure diodes are smoked, whenever you run them backwards they short.

#9 11 years ago

I did something similar on my first pin, a BK2K. After popping fuses because of incorrect wiring, I posted to the forum and have now replaced the diodes on the coil, and rewired it correctly. I have yet to turn the machine back on as I am confirming that I didn't mess anything else up in the process. But I was told by several others that the diodes are probably cooked.

8 months later
#10 10 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

What parker said.
Watch the MPU led flash up. If it only flashes 6 times and fails to go into attract your solenoid fuse is blown. I think it is f4.

I just got around to working on this game ( bought 2 more games since) and the game when switched on just lights up the top playfield lights and backglass lights nothing else no displays no under lights and checked the mpu led for flash on start up and nothing... no flash at all plus self test does nothing... what now? oh yeah I checked the fuses all look good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 69.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fried-something-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.