Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by johnwartjr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I just received a new CPU EPROM for Austin Powers (after installing a newly burned EPROM upside down!). It still does not boot. I get garbage on the DMD and neither LED next to the CPU is lit.

Did I manage to damage something else when I installed the other one backwards? What is the most likely culprit?

Thanks!

MK

#2 11 years ago

Probably not. I've had a few customers install game roms upside down, and all it ever did was ruin the EPROM.

What happens if you put your old CPU ROM back in?

Look to see if you bumped any connectors on the board.

Look to make sure the EPROM is fully seated, no legs rolled under the chip, or hanging out the edge of the socket

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

What happens if you put your old CPU ROM back in?

Same thing.

I reseated all the cables and connectors, to no avail.

I did notice, however, that I had also managed to install the 4 sound roms upside down

Fixing those did not help, although I imagine they are toast now as well.

Even with these blunders, shouldn't I still be getting the 5V led?

I'm not above reseating everything again if you think it would help.

Thanks for the reply!

edit:if it helps, the GI is comming on

#4 11 years ago

99% of the time, installing an EPROM upside down will ruin it.

I don't have many whitestar games, so my troubleshooting ability is questionable beyond basic stuff. Are all the fuses good? Perhaps you have no +5 LED because you have no +5?

The GI is powered by its own transformer winding, and will come on whether the game boots or not.

#5 11 years ago

Good call! Sure enough F23 is blown.

Could that be a direct result of my carelessness with the EPROMS?

Also, do you sell unprogramed eproms on the cheap? It looks like I will have to replace all of the sound roms.

I still can't belive I did this

#6 11 years ago

I have another Whitestar game I can steal a fuse from. Would it be worth throwing it in?

My wishful thinking that maybe it blew a fuse from the CPU being installed incorrectly and the sound roms might be OK. (Very wishful thinking)

I'm just paranoid I have damaged something else.

#7 11 years ago

You have John Warts attention...and thats a good thing. He knows his stuff. I blasted a board on LOTR and had problems with it for a couple of years until I replaced the EPROM on the display board too. That finally took care of the last of the problems.

#8 11 years ago

Keeping my fingers crossed that my bone-headed moved caused the fuse to blow. I can live with a $50 mistake, I just don't want to have to perform any major board work.

#9 11 years ago

I don't see how you can damage your board doing this.

But the display rom and CPU rom need to be kept in sync (same version). Are they?

#10 11 years ago

In theory they are. That is, if I didn't install that one backwards as well. I'm about to find out. I'm gonna swap the fuse and see what happens...........

#11 11 years ago

Thank you John (and everyone) for the input!

I have played a few test games and it would seem that the following happened (please correct me if I am missing a potential problem):

Installing the CPU EPROM backwards blew the F23 fuse. It seems that this blew before it could reach the incorrectly installed sound roms. I replaced the fuse (after reinstalling all the eproms the correct way) and, voilà, everything seems to work!

All seems to be working fine. I get very paranoid when a fuse blows. I cannot tell you how ecstatic I am that it is working again.

My girlfriend and I wish to exclaim a hearty spasiba!!

MK

#12 11 years ago

Great news. Perhaps this is one of those few times it was really 'just a fuse'

Early on, in my collecting 'career', I bought a 'project' Taxi for about $400 shipped. It, too, turned out to be 'just a fuse', new mains fuse and it fired right up.

Enjoy it. Glad you get to Play it all weekend instead of waiting on parts!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cloverdale, CA
Boards
PinSound

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Palm Beach, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Valley, NEBRASKA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fried-eprom-leading-to-other-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.