By hapsreplays

9 months ago

Stats

• 21 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Deoirvin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TJ Playfield4 (resized).JPG
    TJ Playfield3 (resized).JPG
    TJbackglasss (resized).JPG
    TJ ball shooter cover (resized).JPG
    TJfrontdoor (resized).JPG
    TJrightside (resized).JPG
    TJ leftside (resized).JPG
    TJ Cam 2 (resized).JPG
    TJ Cam 1 (resized).JPG
    TJ Heart (resized).JPG
    TJ Ball Kick 2 (resized).JPG
    TJ Ball Kick 1 (resized).JPG
    TJ Playfield2 (resized).JPG
    TJ Rail (resized).JPG
    TJ Side (resized).JPG
    IMG_0682 (resized).JPG

#1 9 months ago

I bought a Bally Twin Joker Bingo Pinball for $225.00 It worked but was covered in 40 years of tobacco on the cabinet and playfield. Once I got it cleaned up, I put it back together knowing it would work. Well, in my haste to get it put back together, I hooked up the three cabinet electric connection bars upside down, meaning....I missed one set of connectors on all three bar connectors. When I fired it up, I heard hissing sound and then smoke. I quickly shut it down but when I investigated, the transformer was oozing a wax like substance from the top and bottom. I did not attempt to start it up once I discovered my grave and well.....dumb mistake.

My Question? Can this transformer still be good and operate? If not.....where can I get a replacement? The machine looks almost new and I am so bummed. Any help will be appreciated.

#2 9 months ago

I've got a good story about burning up a bingo transformer myself... But I'll save it for now.

In answer to your question, no, I don't think I would try to run this transformer. The wax that oozed out insulates windings of the transformer from each other.

You can likely get a replacement from Joe in Utah - bingo55joe@hotmail.com

One thing to note is that the transformer typically has a separate Jones Plug - if this is upside down then you'll get 120V fed into the 6V or 17V windings - burning up the transformer (the part without the wire bundle goes to the bar that sticks up out of the female side. Often, the transformer JP is installed upside-down compared to the others).

I've never worked on a Twin Joker, so don't know the internals of that specific game.

Good luck!

#3 9 months ago

Thank you so much for the post and I am grateful for the information. If I had a nickel for every single lesson I've learned I pinball repair over the last 20 years I'd be able to buy another classic pin. Bingo machines may just be my next proving ground. I'll let you know how this one turns out

#7 9 months ago
    Quoted from sophie390:

I missed one set of connectors on all three bar connectors. When I fired it up, I heard hissing sound and then smoke.
    Sophie
    (website link deleted)

Spam bot

#9 9 months ago

Having trouble finding a replacement transformer for this pinball. Haven't gotten a reply from Joe at the e-mail sent. The original transformer is 37-7330 12P6. Does anyone know of, or have a replacement transformer for this? Can anyone tell me the voltages used? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#10 9 months ago

You can also call him at the number listed here: http://bingo.cdyn.com/market/resources.html

or try one of the other folks on that list.

Voltages - well, not sure, but probably 110V input, 50V, 6v and 17V output. Any of those transformers can be setup within this game.

Just about any bingo transformer should do. You will likely have to modify your transformer jones plug. Make sure you -verify- the connections if you get the part from a different machine.

It will be tempting to just drop in a replacement by swapping the transformer, but the jones plug may be supplying different voltages on different pins from the original.

#11 9 months ago

Thanks again bingopodcast! Joe has answered and has been a very big help. I have also ordered the schematics and game operation manual from Pinball Resource. Once I have all the information I need in order to "not" fry another transformer or the game, I will move forward and post a follow up. Right now? I have a beautiful, 300 lb. paperweight.

2 weeks later
    #12 8 months ago

New transformer on the way via Joe Bingo. He is a great help. This is my first Bingo game and the game (which worked when I bought it for $225) inexplicably, has had all the fuse block removed. Yes....I should have been more aware when I saw his wiring "hack" but I have seen many over the years in older machines. The fuse map below it might have been an indicator. This is why my mistake with the "foreign to me" connectors allowed the transformer to fry. I now have schematics and will replace fuse block before firing up the replacement transformer. Heh...just being honest...this is how I learned a lot about 80's & 90's pinball repair....mistakes.

I meant to buy this machine, clean it up and sell it but now? It's growing on me and I may find a place for it in the house. Just giving sn update and thanks to those who have assisted me. I'll update with pics when I get it all worked out.

IMG_0680 (resized).JPG

IMG_0681 (resized).JPG

IMG_0682 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #13 8 months ago
    Quoted from hapsreplays:

I meant to buy this machine, clean it up and sell it but now? It's growing on me and I may find a place for it in the house. Just giving sn update and thanks to those who have assisted me. I'll update with pics when I get it all worked out.

Find a place in your house. Everybody needs a Bingo. Show it off - educate friends and other pin buddies what a Bingo is about !

Hope you get it going again soon.

1 week later
    #14 8 months ago

Hello Again,

I am in the process of replacing the burnt transformer with a replacement from Joe. I will post pics tomorrow but am now needing advice. The fuse buss, as it was apply labeled before it was removed, clearly states 15A - 6V...15A - 6V...10A - 50V.....but.....I get the amps ratings but do I need to get the standard 250v fuse and match the Amps?

Also....On the AC line fuse.....can you guys tell me the amperage and volts fuse needed as it does not clearly state on the fuse guidance strip pictured. I don't want to burn another transformer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Much.

#15 8 months ago

The voltage rating is for the bus it protects. Using standard 250V fuses is completely fine/safe.

AC line fuse - every bingo used a 10A line fuse.

1 week later
    #16 8 months ago

Attached are a couple pics of the TJ before I cleaned it up. I got the replacement transformer installed and will test the machine with new fuses soon. If all goes well, I'll post pics of the restored machine soon. Thanks for all the assistance!

TJ Side (resized).JPG

TJ Rail (resized).JPG

TJ Playfield2 (resized).JPG

#17 8 months ago

I got the transformer replaced and everything powered up with no frying. Thanks Bingo Joe and all that helped! First issue that did not occur before I fried the original transformer.....The ball eject motor will not stop. It ejects all five balls once you hit the start button and then keeps running. I have checked all switches; ball trough, cam and they are opening and closing properly (I think, as far as I can see and using a multi-meter. I even unhooked the spring attached to the unit to see if that was affecting it but no....it just keeps on running.

Any suggestions? I don't want to wear out my welcome but would sure like to get this machine's inner parts working to match the outside. Thanks in advance.

TJ Ball Kick 1 (resized).JPG

TJ Ball Kick 2 (resized).JPG

TJ Heart (resized).JPG

#18 8 months ago

Additional Cam pics. Is the cam divot too worn? Even though it worked fine before the fried transformer?

TJ Cam 1 (resized).JPG

TJ Cam 2 (resized).JPG

#19 8 months ago

Simplest thing: the ball lifter gets the signal to stop from the switch right beside the lifter on the playfield.

Check that switch and make sure it is closing. The game will happily lift all five balls of the playfield is up or out otherwise.

#20 7 months ago

Not feeling the Twin Joker these last few days. I checked the switch bingopodcast (by the way, thanks for sticking with me...you've been a great help!) suggested and it was stuck closed. I fixed it and tested it good. Ball kicker kept running. Then, all of a sudden, the ball kicker motor would not go around a full rotation. When I would pull up on the housing attached to the cabinet, it seemed to help relieve this "stall" but not fully. I looked and saw that the rubber grommets in the motor housing screw holes to mount it to the cabinet were crumbled dry. I replaced those grommets...don't ask me why I had some of those lying around. Installed motor back....still gets stuck 1/4 turn after tripping the inner switch, not the main wheel catch switch. (I know the wording isn't correct).

I then removed the motor, save for the power connections to see if it would run on it's side, with no restrictions. It ran fine and even gave much resistance when I attempted to hinder it's movement. I checked on the ball kicker mech and it doesn't seem to have hang ups. I am at a loss....and bummed. I know I can't test the rest of this machine if I can't even get past this initial stage of testing after the new transformer install.

Anyway, I posted some pics of the machine. It's a fine looking paper weight and I have replacement start buttons to install, will sand blast and re-paint the legs with new black leg levelers already purchase. The playfield glass is new also and PF glass frame polished and refurbished. The cabinet was cleaned with Magic Eraser, vinegar and baking soda.....and a ton of elbow grease!

As always, any help will be appreciated.

TJ leftside (resized).JPG

TJrightside (resized).JPG

TJfrontdoor (resized).JPG

TJ ball shooter cover (resized).JPG

TJbackglasss (resized).JPG

TJ Playfield3 (resized).JPG

TJ Playfield4 (resized).JPG

#21 7 months ago

Playfield also cleaned from the tobacco residue with vinegar, Majic Eraser and baking soda. I then used NOVUS 2 and a buffer. Didn't even put wax on it as it was so smooth and fast.

#22 7 months ago

What's happening is that the ball lifter is getting stuck near the opening to the shooter lane.

This can happen if the playfield is partially sitting on a bundle of wire or otherwise obstructed. It doesn't take much to get in the way of the lifter.

You can take off the red cover and observe and I am near-certain you will see where the lifter platform is hitting a part of that routed out wooden area on the playfield.

...Or it could be something totally different,but that's a good place to start.

#23 7 months ago

And the cleanup turned out fantastic! Great job!

2 months later
    #24 5 months ago

Hello. I have a Twin Joker machine that is not functioning, but in overall good condition. How can I find out it's value as is? Its doing nothing but take up space in my garage. The board that is for the bulbs which light up the specific card is damaged. But the internal board is not. The machine itself is in good shape. Color and all look good.
    My email is dsiskm2028@gmail

I couldn't figure out how to add pictures here, but can do so on my email. Thank you

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 239.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 110.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 43.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    € 3.95
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 53.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.