(Topic ID: 277621)

Freshening up the collection at the museum

By NicoVolta

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NicoVolta.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

As a pinball museum curator with only enough room for about 65 machines, I am tasked with a difficult decision: Which ones stay, and which ones leave? From time to time it is important to mix up the collection every once in a while and keep it fresh, yanno?

Note: It is impossible to please everyone. As an operator for the public, my decisions factor in the pinball pros and collectors (that would be you), tourists, families, older guests, and regulars who play often but aren't quite "pinball enthusiasts"... yet.

Over the last 2 1/2 years I've let dozens go (Black Hole, Comet, D&D, Firepower II, Jungle Lord, Junk Yard, mostly B/B+ titles) in exchange for some absolutely stellar "perma-keepers" (Addams Family, Banzai Run, Iron Maiden, Lord of the Rings... etc).

The current inventory as of September 2020:

Addams Family (Bally, 1992)
    Arcade Legends 2 (multi-arcade system)
    Bank-A-Ball (Gottlieb, 1965)
    Banzai Run (Williams, 1988)
    Beach Queens (Bally, 1960)
    Big Day (Bally, 1964)
    Black Knight (Williams, 1980)
    Captain Fantastic (Bally, 1976)
    Cleopatra (Gottlieb, 1977)
    Creature from the Black Lagoon (Bally, 1992)
    Dixieland bingo machine (Bally, 1979)
    Doctor Who (Bally, 1992)
    Doodle Bug (Williams, 1971)
    Eight Ball Deluxe (Bally, 1981)
    Fireball (Bally, 1972)
    Fleet (Bally, 1934)
    Funhouse (Williams, 1990)
    Getaway: High Speed II (Williams, 1992)
    Ghostbusters (Pro) (Stern, 2016)
    Gorgar (Williams, 1979)
    Gridiron (Williams, 1969)
    Haunted House (Gottlieb, 1982)
    Hi-Deal (Bally, 1975)
    Hollywood Heat (Gottlieb, 1986)
    Hot Tip (Williams, 1977)
    Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure (Williams, 1993)
    Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast (Pro) (Stern, 2018)
    Jokerz! (Williams, 1988)
    Jungle Queen (Gottlieb, 1977)
    King Pin (Williams, 1962)
    Kings & Queens (Gottlieb, 1965)
    KISS (Bally, 1978)
    Klondike (Williams, 1971)
    Lord Of The Rings (Stern, 2003)
    The Machine: Bride of Pin-Bot (Williams, 1991)
    Magic City (Williams, 1967)
    Melody (Gottlieb, 1967)
    Metallica (Pro) (Stern, 2013)
    OFF-ROAD arcade game (Leland, 1989)
    Out of Sight (Gottlieb, 1974)
    PIN-BOT (Williams, 1986)
    Revenge from Mars (Bally, 1999)
    Ringer (Williams, 1970)
    Ripley's Believe It or Not! (Stern, 2003)
    Safecracker (Bally, 1996) - Win a custom RPM token!
    Screwball (Genco, 1948)
    Sheriff (Gottlieb, 1971)
    Silverball Mania (Bally, 1980)
    Skill-Score (Caldwell Novelty, 1932)
    Skyrocket (Bally, 1971)
    SlugFest (Williams, 1991)
    Snow Derby (Gottlieb, 1970)
    Space Mission (Williams, 1976)
    Spanish Eyes (Williams, 1972)
    Star Trek (premium edition) (Stern, 2013)
    Star Trek: The Next Generation (Williams, 1993)
    Strikes & Spares (Bally, 1978)
    Super Shuffle (slide-puck multi game system)
    Surf Side (Gottlieb, 1967)
    Target Alpha (Gottlieb, 1976)
    The Munsters (premium edition) (Stern, 2019)
    Time Machine (Data East, 1988)
    Wheel of Fortune (Stern, 2007)
    Whirlwind (Williams, 1990)
    White Water (Williams, 1993)
    Winner (Williams, 1972)
    Wizard! (Bally, 1975)
    World Beauties (Gottlieb, 1960)
    Xenon (Bally, 1979)

Lately I'm thinking of selling/trading our Ripley's Believe It Or Not. It's a fun game, but we already have "lots of Lawlor" so it won't be a big loss. It has been LED'd and OCD'd and is in good condition. However, it isn't getting as many plays as it used to... and that's my cue that The Public Wants A Shiny New Thing.

So... based upon what we have, if you were me, what would you do? Acquire one of similar value/recency? Or two cheaper but good classics? I do have a new CPR Firepower playfield waiting in the wings... hmmmm.

Did I mention I love my job?

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I always thought it would be nice to have ten or so spare games. Shopped. Stored. When one on the floor drops in income or needs major work. Remove it. Bring in one of the stored games. Shop the one that dropped in income and put it at the back of the stored games and rotate it in again at some point.
    Unless it's one of the games you can't live without and has to stay in the line up.
    LTG : )

Quoted from mbaumle:

If always wondered if a seasonal rotation is something players would look for. i.e. we’re approaching Halloween, so do horror themed games perform better heading into this time of year?
    Same goes for winter, would a game like Wipe Out be more popular among player then?
    Might be something to consider making games “seasonally featured” if it helps the cause.

I had that in mind, but despite the size of our building it has almost no storage space. Alas. Was thinking of rolling out Pioneer, Liberty Bell, and the Freedom prototype around Independence Day. Not many Christmas EM's though. For Halloween there's Vampire... hmmmm. Too bad there isn't a playing cards & billiards national holiday. No shortage of titles there.

Quoted from northerndude:

Have you thought about going with a new modern pin yet? Anyone asking?

Yes. I'd like to have at least one JJP. Probably Wonka because of the mass audience appeal & flips better than WOZ. Alas, covid budget curtailed that idea. Then again, I could sell RBION and a System 11 (probably Jokerz) and get close-ish. But Taxi seems like a better bet for replacing Jokerz.

Quoted from DK:

Wow! Big ups to the unique fun pins!
    -Cleo
    -Skyrocket
    -Out of Sight
    -Fleet
    Awesome

Thanks! But Skyrocket and OOS are heading back to my pinball B&B once the attic is done (big project) along with Surf Side and Snow Derby. But on the upside I'll put a Freedom prototype, 2001, OXO, and Big Brave in their place. Along with a cleared pristine Bow & Arrow.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NicoVolta.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freshening-up-the-collection-at-the-museum?tu=NicoVolta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.