Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Pinterest
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

_12.jpg
    SAup.jpg
    ring_blower.png
    Hobby_Air.jpg
    airsupply.jpg
    hobbyair.JPG
    $T2eC16hHJGsFFMujnuuZBR8Cum(9+g--60_57.JPG

#1 8 years ago

Hi All - I have decided to buy a hood and fresh air pump to use when painting / clearcoating. These two seem to be the most affordable units available. Does anyone use either of these or have experience with either? Not sure which one I'll end up with.

Thanks!

$T2eC16hHJGsFFMujnuuZBR8Cum(9+g--60_57.JPG$T2eC16hHJGsFFMujnuuZBR8Cum(9+g--60_57.JPG
    hobbyair.JPGhobbyair.JPG

#2 8 years ago

try this alsoairsupply.jpgairsupply.jpg

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from TZ68:

try this alsoairsupply.jpg

LOL - I might prefer poison fumes!

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

LOL - I might prefer poison fumes!

Don't knock them. Chicks in the 80's dug em.

#5 8 years ago

I haven't used it for clearcoating and don't know if I plan to, but I have the HobbyAir rated for 80 feet of hose. I've used it in my basement while working with resins and solvents and such. I just have the partial mask that covers your mouth, but have read it can be used under a hood and would still create the positive pressure in the hood that you'd want to keep stuff out.

I haven't had to replace it yet, but it uses a HEPA filter that looks like a filter from a mask. I haven't been able to track down replacements other than through a HobbyAir distributor.

#6 8 years ago

Just to follow up, I get the impression most hobbyists spraying clears aren't doing it the safest way possible and investing in supplied air respirators and such. You might get a bigger sampling of opinons on options on car painting forums.

#7 8 years ago

When I tried urethane, I used a respirator, goggles, and long gloves. I worked in a spray booth and only at 45 second intervals. I came out unscathed. If I was doing it more, I might invest in something like you have pictured or a whole suit.

Those that don't use any form of protection are just stupid or extremely ignorant. Google Bhopal Disaster.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks Winter -

What do you use it for and why would you NOT use it to clear a PF?

I'm buying one because $400 seems cheap to protect your lungs and health.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

Thanks Winter -
    What do you use it for and why would you NOT use it to clear a PF?
    I'm buying one because $400 seems cheap to protect your lungs and health.

It's not that I wouldn't use the respirator for clearcoating, but more that I've read too much scary stuff about potential hazards and don't know that I've got a good space for spraying.

I do other stuff that creates fumes you wouldn't want to breathe. I'll also use it for future woodworking projects and such. Basically anything I'd have used a cartridge respirator for.

#10 8 years ago

I have the breathe cool system. I have only used it twice but I am happy with it so far.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

It's not that I wouldn't use the respirator for clearcoating, but more that I've read too much scary stuff about potential hazards and don't know that I've got a good space for spraying.
    I do other stuff that creates fumes you wouldn't want to breathe. I'll also use it for future woodworking projects and such. Basically anything I'd have used a cartridge respirator for.

Ok - thank you - so can you do me a favor and take a picture of the hose ends on your Hobby Air?

I am thinking that the hose on the Hobby air looks like hose one could buy seperately and save some $$. (I would like to place the machine 100-150' away from where I'm spraying...

Thanks!

Mike

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

Ok - thank you - so can you do me a favor and take a picture of the hose ends on your Hobby Air?
    I am thinking that the hose on the Hobby air looks like hose one could buy seperately and save some $$. (I would like to place the machine 100-150' away from where I'm spraying...
    Thanks!
    Mike

I don't know if they have any rated for that length of hose (edit: just checked and looks like they do have some rated higher http://axispro.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1 ). I think it's 40' capacity for the cheapest standard unit and 80' capacity for a higher price. I could be wrong, but I think you're not just paying for the included hose, but the capacity of the pump. You might want to check on that to be sure.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of hose this comes with. I know the cheapest versions don't come with NIOSH approved hoses, but they are made of something they think won't be an issue in a home-use situation. I think for commercial applications, you'd have to have a NIOSH approved system. You wouldn't want a DIY hose made out of something that's going to contaminate the air you're breathing.

I had read of people doing complete DIY supplied air systems with just a cheapo air compressor without any thought put into the air quality coming out of the compressor.

2 weeks later
    #13 8 years ago

Ok - so I found a great buy on Flea-Bay and grabbed it!

Ended up with a Hobby Air Half Mask Respirator with a hood.

Hobby_Air.JPGHobby_Air.JPG

$250 with free shipping! Guy said it only has about 3.5 hours of use.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

I had read of people doing complete DIY supplied air systems with just a cheapo air compressor without any thought put into the air quality coming out of the compressor.

I'd think air volume would be more important than air compression for a use like this.

You could probably build your own with an air blower, rather than an air compressor.

ring_blower.pngring_blower.png

#15 8 years ago

I built mine with a vacuum cleaner motor, spray hood, and 40' of PVC hose. Don't have pictures but I built a wooden box as a housing. The important thing is to get a motor where the blower is isolated. I got one rated for the same CFM as the commercial units. Cheap and works fine.

#16 8 years ago

How many CFM?

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from TZ68:

try this alsoairsupply.jpg

I'm partial to this one
    air supplyair supply

#18 8 years ago

It's packed up in storage so I can't check exactly. It's overrated so I have a little diverter in the box to control air flow.

In my notes, I wrote "NIOSH says 4 CFM for a tight-fit mask or 6 CFM for a loose hood". I believe the little box units put out around 8 CFM or so (???).

Oh and one other thing you need is a filter on the intake. I was pumping mosquitoes into the suit at first.

#19 8 years ago

This is the PVC hose I used. Except I paid $30 for 40 feet shipped.

www.ebay.com/itm/AVIZA-TECHNOLOGY-815020-427-MCMASTER-CARR-5500k999-Hose-PVC-SUPER-FLEX-25-ft-/161538369726

$_12.JPG$_12.JPG

#20 8 years ago

Time for another Vid Guide on building a fresh air respirator maybe??

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

It's packed up in storage so I can't check exactly. It's overrated so I have a little diverter in the box to control air flow.
    In my notes, I wrote "NIOSH says 4 CFM for a tight-fit mask or 6 CFM for a loose hood". I believe the little box units put out around 8 CFM or so (???).
    Oh and one other thing you need is a filter on the intake. I was pumping mosquitoes into the suit at first.

Yes, that is correct - the Hobby Air is rated for 8 CFM.

1 week later
    #22 8 years ago

Okay - so I got curious with all of the talk and wanted to get to the bottom of this - so I opened up my Hobby Air unit to see why these cost $500-$600.

My suspicion is that much of the cost of this unit is to cover legal fees when some idiot uses the product improperly and confirms evolution (by removing them self from the gene pool).

I'll put together a parts list and see how much you could build one for.

#23 8 years ago

I'd be interested to see the guts of that thing

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'd be interested to see the guts of that thing

You will see the Vid - Vid - very soon

#25 8 years ago

I see.

Not too much to it.

Does it smell Chinese when you breath the air from it? Like when you walk into Harbor Freight?

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

Okay - so I got curious with all of the talk and wanted to get to the bottom of this - so I opened up my Hobby Air unit to see why these cost $500-$600.
    My suspicion is that much of the cost of this unit is to cover legal fees when some idiot uses the product improperly and confirms evolution (by removing them self from the gene pool).
    » YouTube video
    I'll put together a parts list and see how much you could build one for.

Nice!

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I see.
    Not too much to it.
    Does it smell Chinese when you breath the air from it? Like when you walk into Harbor Freight?

ROFLH!

No - no Chinese smell - but I'll bet I can make one that has it if that's your thing!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fresh-air-supply-which-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.