Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jlm33
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180628_233917 (resized).jpg
    20180629_020321 (resized).jpg
    20180630_081654 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Family has a trip planned to Paris early part of this summer. I've been to Paris before, rest of my family hasn't. Need some advice.

These Saturday protests in Paris are starting to get me worried. We were going to rent an Airbnb in Paris (cost & more real experience), but now I'm wondering if I look at hotels for the mere safety factor of security, if protests continue to worsen. I know they're only Saturday protests, but they are on 18 in a row and seemingly worsening (US point of view perspective).

I do not want to cancel my Paris leg of the trip. I like Paris and want my teenage kids to experience France. Suggestions welcome.

Is there an area you guys would recommend we stay - away from the protests? Planning to do Louve, Eiffel tower, Notre Dame and Normandy Beach (and lastly, yes Euro Disney).

Thanks in advance.

#3 5 years ago

Don't stay near the Champs-Elysées on saturday, that's all. These are mainly leftwing troublemakers presently, they even come from Belgium and Germany for the show, not very numerous though. It's like everything, it's way overemphasized on the news.

For instance they were supposed to demonstrate in Nantes on saturday but I had to attend a tournament in the center. I played and didn't even notice anything around.

For a place to stay, I am not a Parisian, but I would advise places like Montmartre or the Jardin du Luxembourg.

You won't have anything to fear in Normandy, although I would do Brittany instead

#4 5 years ago

We stayed in an Airbnb in Chaillot a couple of years ago that was pretty inexpensive. You had to walk a little bit to get in the thick of things, but it was still very close and we always felt safe.

Have fun!

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

US point of view perspective

You said it all. Nothing to be afraid of.

#6 5 years ago

Don’t go to Eurodisney, seriously, waste of money...
    If you’ve been to one in the US, you’ll find the same stuff.
    It’s getting old, expensive..
    I did Orlando (got family there) and we went to the Paris one a few months after; whole family said « never again »; rather fly to Orlando...

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobmorlock:

You won't have anything to fear in Normandy, although I would do Brittany instead.

Pretty sure that Americans would want to see Omaha Beach over Brittany. I was there on June 6th twenty years ago and the smoke from the twenty-one cannon salute wafting gently past the rows of white crosses while two buglers played echo taps (one by the field of crosses and the other answering from beyond the tree line) made for one of the most chilling memories in my entire lifetime.

#8 5 years ago

I travel a lot and Paris is one of my favorite stops. I agree you should skip Euro Disney. There is a ton of stuff to do in Paris that is unique to the city. I would recommend the Catacombs tour. Can't really do that anywhere else.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I travel a lot and Paris is one of my favorite stops. I agree you should skip Euro Disney. There is a ton of stuff to do in Paris that is unique to the city. I would recommend the Catacombs tour. Can't really do that anywhere else.

I read the same thing time and again regarding Euro Disney. We did the city pass for Paris. You can easily spend more than 1 day in the Louvre and with the city pass you can come back another day. Catacombs was cool, but show up early or you are going to be waiting in a long line.

#10 5 years ago

Good tips guys. Opening this thread up to other things to do while in Paris. Any favorite restaurants? Is the moulin rouge worth it?

#11 5 years ago

I'd grab a Rick Steve's guidebook. Very nice to have a book to reference when cell and wifi are spotty. There is a pretty inexpensive cafe near the Louvre believe it or not (it's referenced in the book). There's a market near the Catacombs that was really good too (lot's of Turkish vendors).

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Family has a trip planned to Paris early part of this summer. I've been to Paris before, rest of my family hasn't. Need some advice.
    These Saturday protests in Paris are starting to get me worried. We were going to rent an Airbnb in Paris (cost & more real experience), but now I'm wondering if I look at hotels for the mere safety factor of security, if protests continue to worsen. I know they're only Saturday protests, but they are on 18 in a row and seemingly worsening (US point of view perspective).
    I do not want to cancel my Paris leg of the trip. I like Paris and want my teenage kids to experience France. Suggestions welcome.
    Is there an area you guys would recommend we stay - away from the protests? Planning to do Louve, Eiffel tower, Notre Dame and Normandy Beach (and lastly, yes Euro Disney).
    Thanks in advance.

Will you be there in July, for the Tour? If so, would be nice to visit a small town nearby where the race was finishing that day.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:Good tips guys. Opening this thread up to other things to do while in Paris. Any favorite restaurants? Is the moulin rouge worth it?

The Moulin Rouge is a great time but not cheap and not something you want to take kids to. I think 2 tickets with the champagne is 300 euros.

#14 5 years ago

There is an EM museum that sometimes offers private viewings. Pretty amazing collection with focus on 60s wedge heads.

#15 5 years ago

Paris Pinball Museum is a must!

#16 5 years ago

Yeah the Catacombs are great !

#17 5 years ago

Just take a look at Paris on the pinside map. Can you see that empty area in the West with absolutely no pinballs? That is where the demonstrations take place.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

Paris Pinball Museum is a must!

Bruno owns Paris Museum.
    A must stop for any pinhead.
    They only have a facebook page.
    Must email Now, and arrange appointment.
    There is close to 300 pins.

20180630_081654 (resized).jpg20180630_081654 (resized).jpg
    #19 5 years ago

Nothing to worry really , still if there's some riot going on just go the opposite ...
    Last time I went to Paris Pinball Museum a year ago or so ( I live 15 minutes from it ) it had to be booked in advance a day or two before by phone..
    Raphael Lankar's babies ( an amazing and unique collection of 300 oldies from the 30's to the 60's mainly ) will be in an exceptional shape and all playable.
    The guy tells you anything and everything about every machine and details few people nowadays know really about..
    Take a look at the gold book on the way out too, see who 's been there before...

#20 5 years ago

the man speaks english if you understand him well too...

#21 5 years ago

Don't do the Moulin Rouge, too kitch.

There are too many restaurants to name. But for touristic reasons let me tell you my favorite Tourist from hell things that I like in Paris:

1/ The George: It is at the Pompidou Center. The BEST view of Paris if you are seated outside weather permits. Have lunch there, so you can have whole Paris to admire. And don't miss the contemporary art section at the Pompidou center.
    2/ Saint Germain: Have a drink at Les Deux Magots.
    3/ Montparnasse: La Coupole

These are very touristic choices but have such a huge past/history. Look at these places websites.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from MPRAMONE:

the man speaks english if you understand him well too...

My favorite part was when he asked my wife how old she was and then told me maybe it was time to start looking for a younger one. LoL

2 weeks later
    #23 5 years ago

Thank you all so much for the sharing of info. My planning so far:

1. Identified Le Marais in Paris as a strong contender for renting an AirBnB (will scan for video cameras ) Interested in thoughts. Was told by friend very safe area, many restaurants, .5 miles to Norte Dame, LGBT & Jewish area. Still debating hotel but prefer little more room.

2. Looking into Normandy beach but Saturday is day we're trying to go. So many awesome local tour guides with deep knowledge but don't support transportation from Paris and don't do weekends. Reason shared: Train schedule or something like that. Still trying, may do big tour company for bus ride but will lose local experts.

3. Added catacombs to our itinerary

3. Tried talking family out of Euro Disney but over ruled. They want to go and check it off their lists.

Looking for local recommendations for good restaurants. I'm a bit of a foodie and also want to expose my teenage daughters to real experience. My business trips in Paris never allow for much exploration and dinners are always pre-arranged by business partners. I never kept a log of where they took us.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobmorlock:

For a place to stay, I am not a Parisian, but I would advise places like Montmartre or the Jardin du Luxembourg.

Thanks. Doing research on Jardin du Luxembourg stay choices.

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I would recommend the Catacombs tour. Can't really do that anywhere else.

Great call. I totally forgot about this being in Paris. Added to list.

Quoted from mcluvin:

I'd grab a Rick Steve's guidebook. Very nice to have a book to reference when cell and wifi are spotty. There is a pretty inexpensive cafe near the Louvre believe it or not (it's referenced in the book). There's a market near the Catacombs that was really good too (lot's of Turkish vendors).

Solid recommendations. Picking up the book to review.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Will you be there in July, for the Tour?

Going earlier.

Quoted from Pinslot:

There is an EM museum that sometimes offers private viewings. Pretty amazing collection with focus on 60s wedge heads.

Investigating. May let wife and daughters go shopping while I take a break if pinball museum allows my visitation. Thanks

Quoted from bladerunner:

1/ The George: It is at the Pompidou Center. The BEST view of Paris if you are seated outside weather permits. Have lunch there, so you can have whole Paris to admire. And don't miss the contemporary art section at the Pompidou center.
    2/ Saint Germain: Have a drink at Les Deux Magots.
    3/ Montparnasse: La Coupole

Much appreciated!

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Identified Le Marais in Paris as a strong contender for renting an AirBnB

In terms of what we did in Paris, you will be in the thick of it. That should be a very good location.

#26 5 years ago

Sometimes, the best way to discover a city is to get lost in the small streets and avoid main touristic places. Get a travel book, go to the paris office web site to get ideas, dicover and transportation passes. Have a café and croissant in a typical bistrot the morning, discover small parisians restaurants by yourself.
    And if you have time, here are few more ideas to visit: musee du Louvre, musee d'orsay, opera garnier and chateau de versailles...( great experiences).
    From the airport, prefer the air france buses (way cooler)

#27 5 years ago

Welcome for your coming in France.
    Paris is like the big apple in the US... It's not really representing the rest of the country... Nevertheless, you may have fun there... Lot of theater there. Sacré Coeur is a must to see, like the old Paris.
    Don't disturbed for the protesting... It will weaken until then...
    Personnaly, I would say August is the better time visiting as all Parisian go out for summerbreak into the south (sun attract)

#28 5 years ago

Hi,

PM me when in Paris - I now live again close to the City of Light (when not travelling to China).
    Don't worry about protests - you may have to ask for the location of Saturday afternoon demonstrations, but there are only a few places to avoid for a few hours.

Had a wonderful Sunday afternoon in Montmartre yesterday (be aware of pickpockets though). Visited the Dali museum and exhibition which is really cool. The "risk" is to come home with a lithography - some of them are less expensive than a NIB pin

Raphael Lankar Pinball museum is not far away (and worth a visit, but you must plan and ask in advance).

NB: I had a wonderful AirB&B experience in Paris center a few years ago when I was living far away. An nice apartment with a spectacular view on Notre Dame... But can't find it online anymore!?

#29 5 years ago

... and with over 200 museums and 1,000 art galleries in Paris, you can make sure your teenage girls will hate you forever after bringing them there

Food... there are superb restaurants but pricey. Depends on your budget (and time you want to allocate to eating - this is a serious business here!).

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Visited the Dali museum and exhibition which is really cool. The "risk" is to come home with a lithography - some of them are less expensive than a NIB pin

NOOO! GREAT Dali Museum.
    But do not buy those expensive lithographs! There is retail, and High end retail pricing, doesnt mean your getting a better product by paying more.
    Also, do not buy art on Cruise Ships. The buying art thing because its a whim purchase on vacation is always a bad investment.
    Plenty of Good, Real Dali on internet. Always do your research before buying art.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Reason shared: Train schedule or something like that.

France is not a public transportation country. You will never reach the beaches by train and bus.

You better rent a car in Paris and drive there (just need your mobile phone or a GPS). Maybe consider taking the car the day before to depart early in the morning - it's about 2.5h drive depending where you go. Colleville Cemetery, Pegasus Brigde, Arromanches and Omaha are a good start. Caen Memorial Museum is a must for history information (but if you choose to go there it will be at least a 2 days trip).

No need for tour guide - it's mostly sightseeing. Should you really want information you can probably found a good guide book in USA before to leave.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from valentin27:

France is not a public transportation country. You will never reach the beaches by train and bus.

Whaaaaaaaaat ?!? Did you see that on Fox News ?

I've just searched train tickets from Paris to Deauville (Nice Beach town, North of France), there are 10 trains going there from 6 am to 7pm, tickets are around 30€, but yeah no you're right, you will never reach the beaches by train or bus....

#33 5 years ago

Valentin knows **a bit** about France in general and Normandy
    Yes, you can actually go to Deauville by train and enjoy the city by the sea. But to see Arromanches, Omaha Beach, Colleville cemetery, etc you would probably need a car or find a guided tour?

Another silly idea: go to Bordeaux by train (2h04 best travel time), spend two days in the city, have lunch (*) in a one star Michelin restaurant (Le Pavillon des Boulevard, or by taxi to le Saint-James in Bouliac) then visit the city and perhaps La cité du vin. Find a guided tour of the vineyards for the next day by bus. Visiting Saint Emilion would have my preference.

(*) 35 /49 € menu per person, 40/64 € with wine and coffee. Dinner is FAR more expensive. Menus are here
    https://lepavillondesboulevards.fr/la-carte
    http://www.saintjames-bouliac.com/pdf/restaurant/cartes-restaurant.pdf (check for "Le tour de Magie" - this is a very nice restaurant and luxury hotel, but this menu which changes every week is affordable)

Basically you can have Lunch in a gourmet restaurant (with their "savoir-faire" / "savoir-vivre") for what you would pay for dinner in a regular (and often mediocre) restaurant.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Valentin knows a bit about France
    Yes, you can actually go to Deauville by train and enjoy the city by the sea. But to see Arromanches, Omaha Beach, Colleville cemetery, etc you would probably need a car or find a guided tour?

I was born and raised in Paris and lived there for 40 years until I moved to SF three years ago, I’m sligthly French too

#35 5 years ago

I too will advocate for the pinball museum in Paris, seriously awesome! I must have gotten lucky, I did not realize that you had to make appointments beforehand and called the morning before I wanted to go. Raphael was very awesome and accommodating! There was only 2 solid state games when I went, both Monster Bash. Other than that, Museum D' Orsey was my favorite place I visited out of the 2 times I have gone.

#36 5 years ago

Some more thoughts from being there in 2016:

+1 on the train to get around. High speed trains will make you jealous

La Coupole was our favorite restaurant. Art Deco painted ceiling and Indian/French

My wife and I really enjoyed this bike tour with a large group seeing the sights without the hassle of checking a map.
    https://www.fattiretours.com/paris/tours/paris-day-bike-tour

#37 5 years ago

Heading to Paris in early June with my family so thanks for all of the recommendations. It’s been 12 years since my wife and I last went and the first for my 8 year old.

#38 5 years ago

My heart is sad. Im in shock.

20180628_233917 (resized).jpg20180628_233917 (resized).jpg20180629_020321 (resized).jpg20180629_020321 (resized).jpg
    #39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

My heart is sad. Im in shock.

What a shame! I hope they got everyone out.

#40 5 years ago

Terrible to see that on the news here. My heart broke seeing the ceiling collapse. Just terrible.

#41 5 years ago

Sainte-Chapelle is near Notre Dame. Beautiful stained glass windows.

3 months later
    #42 4 years ago

Forgot to ask: how was your trip to Paris?
    Next time don't hesitate to PM me, I'll be happy to share a drink and give a few addresses!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/french-pinsiders-advice-?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.