Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b7bf3cc6bfe8d9389e896966e0883412160f932f (resized).jpg
    A312B380-A302-41E1-A7A8-A855D792F5E1 (resized).png
    f7460f91873803f935cd58b3c341a28dbd514185 (resized).jpg
    e807e3baa3db6dd69ff3e1213fba8df493a069bd (resized).jpg
    dc4f364f2c70e5e72d595dd59c7ad61f6d418a31 (resized).jpg
    20200206_123949 (resized).jpg
    20200206_123958 (resized).jpg
    There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

From what I’ve read, Stern doesn’t need help with dropping off $8500.00+ worth of trash on people’s doorsteps.
    All jokes aside, I’ve been having issues with freight companies in general (mishandling, product not showing up etc). I’m in the market for a couple new pins, but because of all this QC and shipping bs going on I want to see in person/test before purchase

#52 4 years ago

In the future I will drive to pickup pins,
    As of now, the distributor worked with me to get me the other pin on my list a Star Trek Premium Vault.
    I found a HUO IMDN about 30 miles from my house, infact the guy that bought my Munsters Premium had one, so that will be here in a day or two as well.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Next time ,You can go 70 miles south and pick up a Stern game from Hemispheres . No need to ship .[quoted image]

Highly recommened. Hemisphere is the only dealer i use. Top notch service

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Highly recommened. Hemisphere is the only dealer i use. Top notch service

I second this. Kurt is a no bullshit guy that will take care of you. Been dealing with him for years. Always easy to get a hold of as well.

#55 4 years ago

Good to know, I will put them at the top of my list in the future.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Next time ,You can go 70 miles south and pick up a Stern game from Hemispheres . No need to ship .[quoted image]

I purchased two Sterns from Kurt at Hemisphere. The AC/DC came in and the box looked just like OP's. I wouldn't accept delivery and Kurt and Mark handled it from there. A new back cabinet was put on and it was sent back out with no issue. Be sure to get insurance.

Purchased a pin from a guy on here who said he would pallet the game and make sure it was packed professionally. Got the game on its legs. Fortunately there was no damage but that will be the last time I purchase from him.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

I second this. Kurt is a no bullshit guy that will take care of you. Been dealing with him for years. Always easy to get a hold of as well.

I havent bought a pin here, too far, but have dealt with them on few purchases. Top notch guys

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

I purchased two Sterns from Kurt at Hemisphere. The AC/DC came in and the box looked just like OP's. I wouldn't accept delivery and Kurt and Mark handled it from there. A new back cabinet was put on and it was sent back out with no issue. Be sure to get insurance.
    Purchased a pin from a guy on here who said he would pallet the game and make sure it was packed professionally. Got the game on its legs. Fortunately there was no damage but that will be the last time I purchase from him.

Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I havent bought a pin here, too far, but have dealt with them on few purchases. Top notch guys

I bought my Iron Maiden Prem and Elvira LE from them. Very easy to deal with, very reasonable with their rates. I hope to purchase another pin from them soon as well.

#59 4 years ago

My understanding is a benefit of shipping with legs in tact is a decreased chance of forklift damage. Received my last game that way from a reputable forum member without issue.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from xian222:

My understanding is a benefit of shipping with legs in tact is a decreased chance of forklift damage. Received my last game that way from a reputable forum member without issue.

Personally I think its the exact Opposite. A freight loader will Never opt to hand carry a game into a truck. Having the game on its legs elevated 2 feet off the ground you can be Certain they are using a fork lift to skewer load that game. Making sure to DRAGGGGG the forks out after touch down. Any option to let them use a pallet jack and hopefully only damage a skid is Much better. I personally hate when people ship with the legs on. Those leg bolts were designed to hold the game in the air motionless. Not designed to hold a game as it jack hammers down the freeway.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Personally I think its the exact Opposite. A freight loader will Never opt to hand carry a game into a truck. Having the game on its legs elevated 2 feet off the ground you can be Certain they are using a fork lift to skewer load that game. Making sure to DRAGGGGG the forks out after touch down. Any option to let them use a pallet jack and hopefully only damage a skid is Much better. I personally hate when people ship with the legs on. Those leg bolts were designed to hold the game in the air motionless. Not designed to hold a game as it jack hammers down the freeway.

Should remove levelers at least if leavin legs on

#62 4 years ago

I'd also expect the cabinet has bigger risk to split at the corners when transporting with legs on.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from xian222:

Regardless of the pros and cons of shipping with or without legs, we had an agreement and the seller did not honor his word. That puts him on my "do not buy" from list.

#64 4 years ago

Regardless of the pros and cons of shipping with or without legs, we had an agreement and the seller did not honor his word. That puts him on my "do not buy" from list.

The argument is old and lame. 25 plus years at this shit.
    I'm telling you....
    NEVER, Ever ship a pin on its legs.
    Been there, done that. Seen the damage it does. This should be a dead idea at this point.
    Yet, countless fools risk it weekly.

#65 4 years ago

Totally agree, I would never consider shipping on it's legs. IF I were to ship a game, playfield or backglass (which I wont anymore) then it would be in a wooden crate that would be harder to break into then Fort Knox, I kid you not. The buyer would pay for all the wood and it would be on a skid (not a pallet) that was larger then the game itself so that when it gets shoved around the game doesn't come off the end of the skid to get damaged. Plus it would be laying down flat and not standing on end as that makes it too top heavy. Shipping a game is the worst possible experience in the pinball world so why make it easy for someone ruin your game by going cheap and easy?

John

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

At least yours showed up lol...
    Roadrunner freight lost my Jurassic Park LE a week ago and they don't know where it is.

Roadrunner I call roadcrawler. They suck but they normally find the freight.. Here is the bad news, its likely been all over the country on a rail car. DO NOT SIGN until you unbox it.

I dont care how good the box looks

#67 4 years ago

Even if I had to drive 10 hours each way I would go to the distributor to pick the game up. And if I was purchasing a Stern or JJP I would un-box it there before loading, to check the playfield. That way you are there, and if you see pooling and all that you can on the spot demand a refund or open another box to see if that game is ok or not.

I did not used to think like that, but now I do. Just too much money to gamble on a freight company messing up, or a manufacture messing up(and then offering a unpopulated playfield).

BUT, if you want/need it shipped, just make sure to buy plenty of insurance on it, and use a credit card for even more protection.

But if you have the time, make a road trip out of it, save the shipping money and possible hassles, and check the box and game out while you are there.

#68 4 years ago

Last 2 I bought NIB I paid with my Cashback Credit card for the added peace of mind.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Totally agree, I would never consider shipping on it's legs. IF I were to ship a game, playfield or backglass (which I wont anymore) then it would be in a wooden crate that would be harder to break into then Fort Knox, I kid you not. The buyer would pay for all the wood and it would be on a skid (not a pallet) that was larger then the game itself so that when it gets shoved around the game doesn't come off the end of the skid to get damaged. Plus it would be laying down flat and not standing on end as that makes it too top heavy. Shipping a game is the worst possible experience in the pinball world so why make it easy for someone ruin your game by going cheap and easy?
    John

I’ve had Rixzilla on here send me games on the extra long pallets. You can get them at Lowe’s or Home Depot. They are the perfect size to ship a game with the head off laying down flat. So if you do palletize a game. Considering getting one of those. They usually ship windows and doors on them and get them in weekly, so stopping in and asking nicely will usually net you some awesome pallets!

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Roadrunner I call roadcrawler. They suck but they normally find the freight.. Here is the bad news, its likely been all over the country on a rail car. DO NOT SIGN until you unbox it.
    I dont care how good the box looks

Great idea. I am going to have the guy help bring it inside and unbox it before I sign for it, thats for sure. Thanks!

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Great idea. I am going to have the guy help bring it inside and unbox it before I sign for it, thats for sure. Thanks!

They won't do that. maybe to a garage if you are lucky

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

I've been able to get them to bring it in, unbox it, take the box and the pallet with them if I tip them $100

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

When my IMDN box arrived damaged I gave the driver two choices. He could wait until I unboxed it and inspected it or he could take it back with him. He brought the game in the garage for me and I cut the box open and he didnt mind at all and said he didnt blame me. No way in hell am I accepting a damaged box without knowing if theres any damage to the game.

#74 4 years ago

My stranger things pin was delivered a few weeks back. The guy from the freight service didn't have a dolly and asked to use mine then proceeded to truck from one of the do not truck sides. I told the dude before he moved the pin not to but he didn't speak much English and was just rushing. I offered to move it myself but he said I can't touch the truck. He then shoved it in my garage and drove off while I was just shocked at the incompetence. Luckily no damage but wow.

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Not pin related, but I have a side business selling DVDs on eBay and Amazon. One time I ordered a liquidation of about 60000. They came on an 18 wheeler with no lift gate or anything. They're in boxes of 30, so 2000 boxes. Me and the truck driver unloaded them by hand to my garage, with him parked in the road so we had to walk up my driveway with each load. It took over 2 hours. He had me sign a thing for his boss saying why he was there so long.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

When my IMDN box arrived damaged I gave the driver two choices. He could wait until I unboxed it and inspected it or he could take it back with him. He brought the game in the garage for me and I cut the box open and he didnt mind at all and said he didnt blame me. No way in hell am I accepting a damaged box without knowing if theres any damage to the game.

Completely agree!

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

They came on an 18 wheeler with no lift gate or anything. They're in boxes of 30, so 2000 boxes. Me and the truck driver unloaded them by hand to my garage

Years ago, a friend of mine is at work. His boss comes around the corner with another guy that my friend has not seen before. Boss points at my friend and says "There it is" and walks away. Friend asks the other guy what's going on. Other guy says "I'm a truck driver with a load to deliver here. I just asked your boss "Where's the forklift?". They had a fun day.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When is Stern going to start shipping games in titanium or lead coffins? Like the ones they buried those guys in the Chernobyl series in? MORE COST CUTTING!

Stern does not sell directly to buyers pinhead

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

This is the only way to ship a pin.
    I dont know where these pics came from

At least one would be my garage. And I believe this was my Skateball from Pinballmania in Utah. Shipped by Pilotdelivers.
    b7bf3cc6bfe8d9389e896966e0883412160f932f (resized).jpgb7bf3cc6bfe8d9389e896966e0883412160f932f (resized).jpg

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

At least one would be my garage. And I believe this was my Skateball from Pinballmania in Utah. Shipped by Pilotdelivers.
    [quoted image]

Ive saved about 10 of these type of pics of pin shipping. There is just the right way, and the take a chance way.

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Ive saved about 10 of these type of pics of pin shipping. There is just the right way, and the take a chance way.

I've had four or five of these crates delivered from Robert. He takes great pride in his restorations and makes sure they will be delivered as safe as possible. Even a less expensive game like my EM Big Daddy came in one. Hundreds of screws hold the thing together so I break out a drill with a phillips bit to get them open.

On the last game I got from him, my Bally Frontier, it looks like somebody at least tried to wreck it with a forklift, but it only put a small dent in the crate.

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freight-companies-trashing-pins/page/2?hl=flippinjimmy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.