(Topic ID: 237330)

Freezer works fridge doesn't - wait, now it does!

By Topher5000

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Topher5000
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I've got a Kenmore fridge (exact same as the Whirlpool in the garage) with the bottom freezer. Last summer the fridge started making thunking noises & then the fridge stopped working but the freezer worked fine. Unplugged it for a few days to defrost, but that didn't help. I didn't bother fixing it as I used the garage fridge & had other stuff to spend money on.
    The other week, I stuck my hand inside the fridge & it was working, but now it's stopped again. Not exactly warm, but not cold.
    Thanks to the internet, I know there are a few reasons that this happens, but I think I can rule out anything electronic related as we all know that if a cap, resistor, etc., go bad, they don't better over time. So I'm thinking it's either the damper control or the evaporator fan. Concur?
    Anyone know where either are? Is the evap fan behind the cover in the fridge & the damper behind the cover in the freezer?

#2 5 years ago

First step, pull the cover off the back, usually at the bottom and get ALL of the dust/dog hair/etc off the coils. Blow it off, vacuum it, whatever - start with that. My Samsung did that last year, fired up the compressor, blew all that shit off and back in the race.

#3 5 years ago

Tried that when it first went on the fritz.

#4 5 years ago

defrost timer motor?
    Clogged evap coil?

#5 5 years ago

Defrost heating element stuck on ?

Plastic bag blocking vent under bottom drawer in freezer?

Damper stuck closed in freezer vent? (is that what was clunking?)

#6 5 years ago

It could be a number of things but if its in your garage and its cold in there the cold can mess with the thermostat but normally that would cause the freezer to not stay cold enough and the fridge part would work fine. There is a $7 part to fix this

#7 5 years ago

Is the evaporator fan motor running? Open the door and push the door switch closed with your hand.
    Do you hear the fan motor inside running or feel any air movement?

#8 5 years ago

This just had this happen to me. I fixed it by doing this. Parts stores charge $250 for the parts. Ebay has them for $38. Easy install.

ebay.com link: 0

YouTube has instructions to install.

#9 5 years ago

abracadabra defrost timer motor? - Doubt it has to do with the defrost. I defrosted at first & it's been running ever since, plus the fridge started working again.
    Clogged evap coil? - I'm thinking the evaporator could be the culprit.

vid1900 Defrost heating element stuck on ? - see above.
    Plastic bag blocking vent under bottom drawer in freezer? - I had totally cleaned it out.
    Damper stuck closed in freezer vent? (is that what was clunking?) - I'm leaning towards the damper. Could have gotten unstuck & it started working again.

Don44 - The one in the garage is the one working.

kuelman Is the evaporator fan motor running? Open the door and push the door switch closed with your hand. Do you hear the fan motor inside running or feel any air movement? - The fan is running now. It wasn't when it wasn't working though. Even now that the fridge is getting warm again, I can hear it running.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

This just had this happen to me. I fixed it by doing this. Parts stores charge $250 for the parts. Ebay has them for $38. Easy install.
    ebay.com link

The thing is, it quit, months later worked for two weeks & now seems to have stopped working again. Would something electronic behave this way?

#11 5 years ago

My best guess in order of where I would start first, however your "clucking noise" has me perplexed sounds like a worn compressor. How cold is the freezer exactly in measurement of temp...? , cold is not an answer btw.

Damper Control Assembly
    Thermistor
    Evaporator Fan
    Defrost Timer
    defrost thermostat
    Evaporator Coils

I have my 609 cert... I thought about getting my 608 III. I always liked working refrigeration.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Topher5000:

abracadabra defrost timer motor? - Doubt it has to do with the defrost. I defrosted at first & it's been running ever since, plus the fridge started working again.

faulty defrost timer motor will cause the evaporator to clog with ice since the automatic deforst does not work anymore. This prevents cold air from getting to the refrigerator section.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Topher5000:

The thing is, it quit, months later worked for two weeks & now seems to have stopped working again. Would something electronic behave this way?

Exactly. I had a repairman come three times. Got it working, then went out. Once I swapped that I was fine. Read the Amazon reviews. This is your problem. My freezer was frosty and frozen, fridge 60 degrees. Put new board in. Leave freezer open over night to defrost. Plug in next morning, be done with it. Watch the YouTube video because you have to snap the new pcb in two pieces.

#14 5 years ago

Great info everyone. I'll take a look at it this weekend, clean it & see if there's anything blatantly wrong with it. I'll report back with what I find.

#15 5 years ago

I’d go with the evap fan. I had similar issue. Clunks & screeching. Work then didn’t. Bearing on the old fan gummed & clogged. You may hear the fan running but at what speed? Replaced the evap fan and good as new. Easy fix just a bunch of screws in the bottom back panel.

#16 5 years ago

I checked the damper in the fridge compartment & the flaps move when adjusting the temp dial. I don't know how to check if it actually works though. It wasn't blowing any air when I was checking it.
    I'll take the freezer compartment covers out tomorrow & check the evap fan first & go from there.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from camcamaro1991:

How cold is the freezer exactly in measurement of temp...? , cold is not an answer btw.

Unfortunately I don't have a suitable thermometer.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Topher5000:

I checked the damper in the fridge compartment & the flaps move when adjusting the temp dial. I don't know how to check if it actually works though.

Looks like I need to take the damper off & put the spring in some ice & see if it moves.

#19 5 years ago

Can you post the model # for the refrig?

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

ebay.com link

If it is not a genuine part, you no longer have a UL rated appliance. If your house catches on fire and it can be traced to the fridge, your friendly insurance COmpaNy will do everything they can to not pay.

Quoted from Topher5000:

Unfortunately I don't have a suitable thermometer.

$15 for the Laser type from China Freight. Perfect for refrigeration system repairs. I use one treasure differential temps of the suction & discharge lines on refrigeration systems & A/C units.

#21 5 years ago

Didn't get around to checking the evap fan last weekend. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend.

Quoted from frunch:

Can you post the model # for the refrig?

frunch it's a Kenmore MOD# 596.69872990, MFG # P130701WW. The Amana in the garage is MOD# BR18VW, MFG# P1320703WW.

#22 5 years ago

Ok, so given that the problem is still freezer cold/refrig warm, it's typically 1 of 2 things, as has been covered plenty already: evaporator fan, and defrost system. You should hear the evap fan running most of the time the refrig is on, as long as it isn't in defrost mode. It *may* also be run through the freezer door switch so you might have to push the switch to get the fan to run if the freezer door is open. It's tricky to find schematics for Kenmore sometimes, is there any schematics tucked away perhaps behind the kick panel near the condenser coils? Might be on the right side once you get the kick panel out of the way. If evap fan is running, you'll need to remove the rear panel from the freezer. Usually 4-8 screws holding it on. If the coils are completely caked up in frost, you likely have a bad defrost thermostat and/or timer and/or heater (though it's often just the thermostat). It's also possible it's the damper you were looking at. Easy way to tell is if the damper door is open (as long as refrig section is warm, damper door should be open).

#23 5 years ago

I hear a fan running, are there any other fans?
    The damper at the top of the fridge is a folding cover (with a hinge down the middle) that has a plastic pin pushing down on it. When the temp control is turned to warmer, the pin moves up allowing the fastened down side of the cover to pull up thereby pulling the outer half of the cover in. I think I'll pull the damper & stick the coil in ice to see if it moves.
    I'm slow at work so I may take Friday off & pull the back off the fridge. When this first happened, I pulled the fridge out & vacuumed it, so it shouldn't be too dirty.

#24 5 years ago

There's the evaporator fan in the freezer, and another fan behind/under the refrig next to the compressor (the condenser fan). If the evaporator fan is working ok, I'd pull the back wall out of the freezer and post a pic of the evaporator coils. Looking at how the frost is formed on the evaporator coils, we can try to determine if it's the defrost system, sealed system (freon, compressor, etc), or something else...

Looking at the back wall of the freezer, do you see a layer of frost on it?

So just to be sure, the freezer is freezing cold now, and the refrig section is warm/room temp?

1 week later
    #25 5 years ago

So, it was the evap fan. It had lots of play side-to-side & front-to-back. The thunking was probably the armature striking the brushes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freezer-works-fridge-doesn-t-wait-now-it-does?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.