4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Inser damage #2 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I am researching before I am going ahead with my first pinball restoration. It is my Whitewater and among other things, it needs airbrush and new water slide decals on chipped inserts. I know you can purchase a decal set for inserts and Wet Willies (don't know about the quality though), but it doesn't cover all I need; picture example 'BIG FOOT HOT FOOT'.

So my question for forum is this: Do some of you use any good freeware design software to make your files to print water slides on? I know you can use Illustrator/photoshop software. But the license is so expensive. And I guess for making decals that software must be a bit like 'shooting a bird with a cannon' - a lot more features than you need? I have come across names on freeware like GIMP, BoxySVG and others. But I am a rookie, so I am not sure exactly what I am looking for. One important feature I guess must be adding text in different fonts?

This is why I call out for your help.

In advance, thank you forum for your kind help

Best regards, Thomas

Inser damage #2 (resized).jpgInser damage #2 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

I use Inkscape. Not exactly easy to use but it does the job assuming you want vectorized artwork. I also use a Doxie scanner, and the HP 4670. GIMP I find impossible to use!

#3 4 years ago

The good software typically has a learning curve. For freeware, I find GIMP to be the most similar in function and form to Photoshop. GIMP will pretty much do everything you throw at it, but it will take you a bit of Googling for awhile to get used to it.

#4 4 years ago

dr_nybble and ralphwiggum thank you for your advice. Since the German forum has the same advice regarding Incscape, I guess I will throw my attention on that, for starters.

BTW, do you have links for good quality water slides? I have been warned against Chines products.

Have a great weekend.

1 week later
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Adams_Tales:

dr_nybble and ralphwiggum thank you for your advice. Since the German forum has the same advice regarding Incscape, I guess I will throw my attention on that, for starters.
BTW, do you have links for good quality water slides? I have been warned against Chines products.
Have a great weekend.

Following. I'm doing the same currently on a Robo-War playfield restoration.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

17,250 (OBO)
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,780 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeware-for-water-slide-design-any-recommendations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.