IMG_7483.gif
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 List of remade ramps Posted by Freeplay40 (8 years ago)

Post #200 F-14 ramp mold Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #210 F-14 ramp preview with various colors Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #232 Examples of the F-14 ramp installed in a game Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #241 F-14 ramp finished Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #258 Hurricane ramp form test Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #264 Original Hurricane ramp differences Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #289 Hurricane ramp finished Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #305 Finished hurricane ramp photi Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #310 Finished hurricane ramp Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yellowghost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2488 5 years ago

Is the dr.who cover still available? And can that be made in a different color?

7 months later
#3076 5 years ago

I have a question about your time expandor plastic. Its thicker than original. Will the studs still have enough thread?

1 month later
#3121 4 years ago
Quoted from Demoman1:

Hi Mark,
Do you know when the Demolition Man Ramps will be in the works? Picked up a DM with 2 missing ramps, beautiful pin.

Now wer're talkin'. I think all three of mine are chipped or cracked.

2 months later
#3290 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Sorry, don't know.

Is cutting a new ramp flap something you would be willing to do? For a price obviously. I have acsess to the material and a person who can re-rivit it but he doesnt have the tools to cut it.

1 week later
#3319 4 years ago

Why would it matter if it not shiny on the bottom? Better than a cracked one no?

2 months later
#3587 4 years ago

I need demolition man ramps too but it worries me. To get them in and out , you need to squeeze and pull and yank on them. Thicker plastic might make it darn near impossible to install.

#3601 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I should be done contacting the last folks on the Transporter and Radical lists in just the next couple days. Pretty much everything I have made for both of those projects is out the door so need to assess how many more I need to make to complete this first runs of these two.
As I have said, once done with these projects my primary focus will turn to the new heater. I did say however that I might consider slipping in some work for Black Rose.
Well....I was contacted by a local friend who told me he is just beginning teardown on two Black Rose machines and wondered if I wanted to do the ramps. Timing is everything, eh? I'm not totally familiar with the ramps on BR but he is going to send me some photos tonight so I can see if there are any I can't do right now. Either way, I think I will get the ramps from him and at least start making the molds for them...even if any of them are too large as I could follow up with those on the new heater.
So...BLACK ROSE RAMPS...
I would appreciate your feedback as to which ramps are needed/desired.
No rest for the weary!

Is the material you use to form ramps available in any different translucent colors? Just curious.

#3607 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I really only use two types of plastic....Black ABS for just a couple things I make and predominately several thicknesses of clear PETG. I can dye the PETG in some colors. I did yellow for GNR, transparent orange for the Comet Cork Screw, I've done quite a few pieces in transparent red and blue (Even one in transparent red AND transparent blue....PINBOT), and a couple pieces in a lighter blue (turquois)
I could do the Whirlpool in blue...Generally charge an additional $10 for the color.

What does the " lighter blue" look like? That sounds nice.
And when its dyed, can the color be scratched away over time?

#3642 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Absolutely. I wasn't sure if the 3M decal transfer tape would work for the underside decals....this confirms it for me. I have been successful at removing original decals just using Goo-Gone and slowly working them loose and then cleaning the remaining glue off also with Goo-Gone.....and whenever I remove one I scan it!
I was going to next experiment with adhesive backed reverse imaged clear vinyl then backed with white vinyl, but now I see no need to do that since the 3M transfer tape works so well. So I am now just going to test print to white vinyl and just use the 3m transfer tape.
I recall years ago when I was applying a factory stripe to one of the early Mazda rotary engine cars. In that installation you simply spray Windex on the car then apply the decals over the Windex which allows you to slide it around until you get the alignment just right. Then you just squeegee out the Windex and voila!... perfect application. That is probably one of the first things I will try with the 3m tape.
Just seems impossible to get the license holders to make decals available so best if we figure out how to just do our own.
Thanks again for the link.

That 3m stuff is hard to work with. I always end up with what looks like tiny air bubbles. Its not noticeable when lights under the ramp shine thru it though. If you find a good way to apply it, please share. As for removing the decals, I use the duster cans and remove them the same way as mylar.

#3648 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

Mark
Forgive my naivete but I don't understand the decal issue. Since you said it was hard getting the license holders to create decals but your scanning decals as you're able to save them why can't you just start printing them out or are you saying individuals can basically print their own for personal use if they have a useable decal to scan?
For "Comet" for instance, how is it that people can buy the dunk the dummy, million shot and rabbit and duck decals but not a center ramp decal? Did the license holders authorize the release of those or are people just reproducing them without permission? I just bought a million shot decal from Marco and have in the past bought a dunk the dummy from another source. Repopped decals for cars come to mind for instance, as you mentioned above. I know people repop decals and offer them for sale on a car website I'm on. Is it just because some companies or license holders don't have a hard-on for going after people making them?
I know because a lot of decals stick to the bottom of the ramp people have said they might not be easy to scan but why couldn't they be stuck to a thin piece of PETG or similar material like playfield protectors are made of and then scanned? Would that work? I ask because I have a NOS Comet center ramp decal and if I can get away with it and figure out a good way to do it I'd start cranking them out since it seems like there's a demand.
Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

The decals that I've found under plastics are silkscreened on some type of thin mylar. Even if you scan them, I don't think its possible to reproduce them and look like the originals.

1 month later
#3778 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Is there a timeframe for DM? Where would you get the ramp stickers from?
Edit: Stickers are available at Marcos.

The original decals are not difficult to remove and re-use.

1 month later
#3875 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Don't want to hijack the thread, but few pics with normal and blue GI:[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome. Was the original color green? Makes more sense as blue

3 months later
#4027 3 years ago

I have experimenting with tinting 2 component autobody clearcoat and spraying it on the bottom of the ramps. Doesn't look as good as your're tinted ramps but maybe that could be a option. Sounds like the dying process is very labourious.

2 weeks later
#4035 3 years ago

In regards to Radical, lower left and upper left ramps have been replicated. Any chance that the upper right and lower right will be available in the distant future? I realized that the one with the divertor cannot be done with your current apperatus

2 weeks later
#4060 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

No, but I did just make the Joker ramp...[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks amazing.

3 months later
#4167 3 years ago

What was the process of creating ramps with those old molds?

#4188 3 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

Yes between the 2 molds it’s all there. Now there a question of ownership and who’s running what. I didn’t get this from PPS. I got it from twisted pins when they went under. I basically saved all this from hitting a landfill. Where twisted got it I have no idea. That was a long time ago. I just assumed I’d give the stuff back to PPS after that buyout.

I dont understand too much about PPS or what they own, but it the person who owned the stuff sold it before PPS bought all the bally stuff, then its not theirs anyway.

2 months later
#4258 3 years ago

Will the new radical ramps be only available as a set?

3 weeks later
#4301 3 years ago

Will the Bally radical ramps be available only as a complete set, or the option to buy only the ramps needed.?

1 week later
#4312 3 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I'd definitely like to be on the list for the larger Radical ramp with the funnel. Still hoping that someone will eventually make the decals for that ramp...can't seem to find them anywhere.

You can remove the decals from the old ramp no?

#4317 3 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I wasn't aware you could without a high risk of damaging them

You can use air-duster to freeze them too. Same as removing mylar.

#4337 3 years ago

The modes look like they are silkscreened on the cyro-claw plastic. You would need to hope somebody can produce a decal.

#4348 3 years ago

Freeplay-40. You have dr.who time expandors and radical lower left ramp in stock?

#4359 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Also just secured the remaining donor pieces for Radical and Demo Man so hope to pick those up this week so I can get started on the molds.

You reckon they will be ready in 2021? Or 2022?

#4361 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Ye of little faith...

Just curious if I should order the small ones now or wait until the big ones are ready and order all 3. Maybe order all 3, and pay shipping only once?

#4378 3 years ago

Do I need to add myself to your list for radicals ?

#4382 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

We discussed the Vertical ramp and a Doctor Who Time Expander cover....Do you now want to wait until all the Radical ramps are available?

Yea correct. It will be cheaper in the end, shipping-wise.

#4384 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Picked up the remaining pieces for Radical today!
[quoted image]

Those look awesome!!

2 months later
#4465 3 years ago

I am reckoning that demolition man is next after comet.

1 week later
#4485 3 years ago

Those look badass.

#4489 3 years ago

If you grinded down the bottom so it sits more flush, with a dremel. It will become thinner but will not the metal piece protect it from direct hits?

#4491 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Well, I would not go that route. You're talking about sanding down the underside of the ramp to a consistent approximate 1/16" which at the back edge would transition to the thicker plastic, but at the edges of the part where the hold down screws are you will have lost the additional strength at the lower edges which again with a female molded ramp are typical failure points. I have the entrance metal protector for this donor ramp that was loaned to me and the leading edge of that protector is pretty hammered which indicates it is or was very close to the playfield level or even slightly above it. If I was to install, I would want that leading edge of the protector to be at or very slightly below the playfield level.
Too bad there is text on the playfield right in front of the ramp....I think a traditional flap might provide a smoother entry.

My bad. I assumed those ramp were installed with "flaps" . Yea. I see now that removing materiel from the plywood is what is needed.

3 weeks later
#4531 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The plastic is super thin, and breaks if you even breathe on it.[quoted image]

If there is a market for the ramp, maybe there is a market for a thicker, more robust ramp plastic as well?

4 weeks later
#4554 2 years ago

That looks gorgeous!

4 months later
#4626 2 years ago

Good to hear!

1 month later
#4664 2 years ago

Could you add me to the radical ramp list
?

1 month later
#4698 2 years ago

He responded to me today after a few months. Probably really busy. Shirley, you will hear back eventually.

4 months later
#4748 1 year ago

Great news!

1 week later
#4765 1 year ago

Love that blue. Dont need ramps but I am considering that claw ramp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 34.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Carrollton, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yellowghost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps?tu=yellowghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.