New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 150775)

Freeplay40 Ramps

By Freeplay40

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,197 posts
  • 657 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by StrangeSubset1
  • Topic is favorited by 379 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 550 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1454[1] (resized).JPG
PXL_20201014_035222609 (resized).jpg
20201016_073304 (resized).jpg
IMG_1451 (resized).JPG
IMG_6476 (resized).jpg
DSCN7277 (resized).JPG
C63BD060-53DA-4BAB-B23E-B4AB6846980B (resized).jpeg
B9986BE6-D7BB-4111-B986-92D9FDDD5573 (resized).jpeg
7ADD8B22-B002-49E5-B053-BED57831A558 (resized).jpeg
0BEC1DEC-4804-43CF-9A9F-DB63124C606D (resized).jpeg
02E0ACCC-6BE7-4118-8100-FC32ABA4D9EF (resized).jpeg
2526D699-A6C0-4ED7-9D3F-DAA89D6DB916 (resized).jpeg
20200704_111740 (resized).jpg
20200827_010139 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 List of remade ramps Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #200 F-14 ramp mold Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #210 F-14 ramp preview with various colors Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #232 Examples of the F-14 ramp installed in a game Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #241 F-14 ramp finished Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #258 Hurricane ramp form test Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #264 Original Hurricane ramp differences Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #289 Hurricane ramp finished Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #305 Finished hurricane ramp photi Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #310 Finished hurricane ramp Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago

If you made replacement left / right ramps for Fire!, people would kiss your feet.. Even if they weren't painted or decaled.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Jokerz are very doable...However the artwork is an issue. I would produce in clear only. Are those decals available? I didn't see them on Bay Area or Planetary.

Most decals are salvagable if you're careful. They will need to be cleaned of adhesive, and then a new strip of clear 3m double sided tape attached:

2 months later
#120 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

This new machine can handle plastic up to 24" by 48".

sheesh! you could vacuum form a playfield!

2 months later
#318 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Typically with newly produced colored ramps, the color is actually paint. PETG in colors is no longer available domestically. I'll know more after I get a good look at the ramp.

I wouldn't paint it (though candle apple paint is translucent). I would dye them:

That way you can choose the opacity based on time dipped, and you can do color on demand so you don't have to stock specific colors. Dying will embed the color into the plastic unlike paint.

#322 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Soaked a ramp at about 140 degrees for an hour and no color absorbed. Will research further but unless simple to do, I seriously doubt I will get into it....just another big step and expens

if you watch the video, they got color within 7 minutes. They also said in the comments that RIT dye from a typical store does not work well, you need to buy Idye poly:
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/idye.html

#334 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

This took about 30 minutes to get to this color. I was initially concerned as to whether or not the result would be transparent and it is

That video seemed to get decent results in the first 7 minutes. I would try another batch at like 10 minutes, I bet you get a nice translucent coating of color while still being nice and transparent. I would also post some photos with a bulb or two behind it in a somewhat dark room to see how much line shines through it.

#336 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Mark, thanks for thinking about BF but that green is just all wrong. I wonder where they got that color green plastic for the game.

looks like there is only green and kelly green in the poly:
amazon.com link »

The plain green looks closer:
http://kcpinballshop.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/IMG_2182_1280x853.jpg

not sure which one you bought. I'm assuming water was cleaned out between tests? It almost looks like some blue dye bled into the green? Getting colors to match the original exactly could be tricky if not impossible with the limitations of dyes.

1 week later
#423 4 years ago
Quoted from MDK:

I'm not sure what would be involved with milling the entire mold but would it be sufficient if we just milled that one divider out of aluminum?

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but really an aluminum tool should only be made for making thousands of ramps, not dozens or even hundreds. You have to realize that even if you had full access to a CNC milling machine, someone would have to provide the 3d data. The most likely path (to ensure you got it right the first time and didn't waste a $500 chunk of aluminum billet) would be to make a positive mold from the original in say plaster, then spend money on scanning that geometry (with software like Autocad 123d this is getting more affordable than say a laser scanner or stylus CMM). Then after that geometry is captured, you still need to clean it up (many more hours) in order to create toolpaths. THEN, after you actually mill said tool, someone would have to spend hours meticulously polishing all the cutter marks from the tool.

I believe the 2 ramps made for JPOP's magic girl were about $2k, and that was with favors, and actually having the original solidworks CAD data. Amortize that over even 50 ramps, it still adds $40 to the price of each ramp (assuming all the initial work is free).

#428 4 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Has anybody thought about contacting Stern to see if they could help with offering info on DETM ramps? That would be pretty cool if they just had a mold lying around

If stern still had old molds from data east days, you would think they would get into that business. They've already cut a piece of the mod cake market.

#440 4 years ago

that's fine, I've actually bought many metal objects from shapeways, all SMALL objects. A gas cap in stainless cost me $150 but for argument sake let's go ahead and model a simple 12" straight shot ramp (positive) with minimal material.

Solid = 490 cm^3, or $2450
Shelled (1/8) = $645

I can't imagine what the cost of a simple and reasonable ramp would cost.

simple_12_inch_ramp_mold_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#495 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Looks like you are right...so I probably won't do them. Like to do ones that are not available anywhere else.

While I would like you to do EVERY ramp, I agree you should focus on the unobtainable ramps (FIRE! cough cough!)

3 weeks later
1 week later
#570 4 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

Sounds like you may be working harder than ever in retirement.

I'm willing to bet freeplay is making his time worth it. He's probably making pretty good money from all this, and he deserves it. Who was it that was making ramps before? Whoever it was, no way they were pumping out new ramps at this rate. Void filled.

1 week later
#681 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

It's getting to the point where I need to seriously consider a website for these.

You really do need a website now. Showing photos, and maybe a video of it installed. If you need help let me know.

1 week later
#723 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

What I originally thought was food poisoning turned out to actually be a stroke

ouch! definitely take it easy now. Keep that heart rate low, avoid meat.

#730 4 years ago

I hate to preach, but this documentary helped change my eating habits. I still cheat, but for the most part I eat veggies and might have some fish with it.

3 weeks later
#850 4 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

We are focused on creating repeatable processes to get more people making rad new pins

I was going to just 3d print all my ramps, but I may take you up on some professional vacuum formed ramps at some point.

1 month later
#941 3 years ago
Quoted from vidgameseller:

correct, thats what im building,just got a bunch of stuff from powdercoating back today, planning on bringing it to MGC in April

did you find a backglass? I assume there's no custom sound roms?

1 week later
#962 3 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

liquid chrome applications? You know those kits that you spray a base coast of black on, then the next coat turns that fake silver reflective color adhere to plastic?
I'm trying to see if there would be any luck getting this thing colored again

This stuff?

If you want true chrome, the process is: Coat in a conductive carbon paint, then use electroplating to adhere copper to the surface. Once you have that, any chroming company should be able to chrome it.

2 weeks later
1 week later
2 weeks later
#1077 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

can you tell or point to a thread that tells the best way to do this. I have the same question

1 month later
#1244 3 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I'm interested in doing some molding work at our company for some low volume parts that typically don't price out very cost effectively at suppliers

What kind of low volume molds do you do?

4 weeks later
#1301 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

If any of you are attending the TPF, check out the Buffy the Vampire Slayer pins that Pinsider Nelly is bringing. Beautiful machines! Buffy is a remake of Swords of Fury and I provided him the ramps. So if you are curious what my dyed ramps look like check out his machines.

Saw it at chicago expo, it's beautiful. Looks way better when you can semi see through to the playfield.

2 months later
#1385 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I seriously need to get off my ass and get that new machine finished so I can do the larger ramps

What size do you think you would go up to with the new machine? I think you may have mentioned it at one point but I don't remember. If I remember right, it could vacuum form an entire playfield?

1 month later
#1469 3 years ago

any heart surgery is scary, especially multiple by-pass. But the statistics doctors give out are usually accurate, and I'd say you have really good odds. Get well, forget about pinball, and rest up!

6 months later
#1741 2 years ago
Quoted from mima:

If it where so, would that pose a problem for vacu-molding?

from my experience with vacuum forming at work, pulling something that tall would thin out the walls a lot, and would require a lot of pressure to get a good pull.

4 months later
#2206 2 years ago

freeplay40 you're going to make comet a very hot title.. great job making both ramps for owners!

Quoted from vid1900:

Kydex might be be easier to pull from the mold, and more impact resistant.

Holy crap!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kydex

1 week later
#2241 2 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

will that new mold allow you to cast both versions of the ramp? Sorry if this sounds ignorant but wasn't sure if 1 mold was for the kydex and 1 was for the abs or if the molds were interchangeable

Typically you buy sheet stock for the size of your vacuum, so to prevent waste (especially with a higher priced kydex) you want to maximize how many parts you get out of each sheet. You could cut it down, but doing one part at a time sucks for cycle time. I'm guessing he wants to spend the least amount of time forming parts.

1 month later
#2420 2 years ago
Quoted from twenty6point2:

the blue Space Station ramp I got looks amazing!

If you make some more of these, put me down for one

1 month later
#2496 2 years ago

man that blue/red ramp is killer! It's a shame pinbots are so expensive these days.

4 months later
#2810 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

the actual forming is the easiest part! Vacuum forming is not rocket science...however expect a great deal of trial and error. Early on I had one hell of a time figuring out how best to do the ramps for Genesis. I lost count of how many trials I threw away, but it was close to 100.

/\THIS/\
I think a lot of people don't realize what goes into making a part, ESPECIALLY low volume parts. When I make a 3d printed mod, the customer has no idea how many hours went into modeling the part, having to tweak features because something doesn't print well, and even if the model is optimized there are still the typical 3d printing issues (nozzle gets clogged, bed isn't calibrated, prints won't stick), and you're tossing away partial or ruined finished prints (if you're printing overnight), and that doesn't cover all the other wear items on the printer (extruder teeth, worn belts, worn PEI sheet on the bed).

Even in manufacturing there is fallout (injection molding machines have bad fill, too much heat burns the plastic, bad ejections cause marks, tools wear out after so many cycles).

5 months later
#3213 1 year ago
Quoted from pb456:

I'm going to verify, but I do know someone who can 3D scan and clean up the objects - but they were telling me clear objects will not scan correctly.

If you have a clear object, you simply dust it with powder so it makes it opaque. Ramps really aren't that hard to model up, I did it for BTTF but I can't seem to find a reasonable vacuum former vendor (and I know freeplay can't handle a ramp that big yet):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bttf-club-whoa-this-is-heavy/page/5#post-4079139

Even 3d printed it in chunks to verify fit:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bttf-club-whoa-this-is-heavy/page/6#post-4185632

9 months later
#3925 7 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Well, I guess it was inevitable. Washington State now in lockdown state wide. Going to slip out tomorrow and get a couple orders shipped. Not sure what the Post Office is doing, but I ship most of my stuff domestically via Priority Mail which I can have picked up at my house. Havne;t done that before, so guess I'll have to check that out.

All shipping services should remain open everywhere. There may or may not be a front desk open, but the self serve machines should still be running and you can drop off your packages through the drawer.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside