New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 150775)

Freeplay40 Ramps

By Freeplay40

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,204 posts
  • 658 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by lrosent345
  • Topic is favorited by 381 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 550 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1454[1] (resized).JPG
PXL_20201014_035222609 (resized).jpg
20201016_073304 (resized).jpg
IMG_1451 (resized).JPG
IMG_6476 (resized).jpg
DSCN7277 (resized).JPG
C63BD060-53DA-4BAB-B23E-B4AB6846980B (resized).jpeg
B9986BE6-D7BB-4111-B986-92D9FDDD5573 (resized).jpeg
7ADD8B22-B002-49E5-B053-BED57831A558 (resized).jpeg
0BEC1DEC-4804-43CF-9A9F-DB63124C606D (resized).jpeg
02E0ACCC-6BE7-4118-8100-FC32ABA4D9EF (resized).jpeg
2526D699-A6C0-4ED7-9D3F-DAA89D6DB916 (resized).jpeg
20200704_111740 (resized).jpg
20200827_010139 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 List of remade ramps Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #200 F-14 ramp mold Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #210 F-14 ramp preview with various colors Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #232 Examples of the F-14 ramp installed in a game Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #241 F-14 ramp finished Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #258 Hurricane ramp form test Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #264 Original Hurricane ramp differences Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #289 Hurricane ramp finished Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #305 Finished hurricane ramp photi Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #310 Finished hurricane ramp Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lordloss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#533 4 years ago

+1 for the data east time machine ramp. I need both back ramps if anyone has a broken worn out of either one.

#547 4 years ago

What did you end up deciding on the time machine ramps?

1 week later
#580 4 years ago

I have access to a NOS time machine ramp, would that help with getting that one off the ground?

3 months later
#947 3 years ago

You up for a real challenge?

The speaker housing is plastic for early Data East Machines. I wouldn't mind a clear or colored replacement.

20161129_195059[1] (resized).jpg

#960 3 years ago

Hey Freeplay, have you ever done anything with those liquid chrome applications? You know those kits that you spray a base coast of black on, then the next coat turns that fake silver reflective color adhere to plastic?

I'm trying to see if there would be any luck getting this thing colored again

20161203_094538 (resized).jpg

#970 3 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

I have done this liquid chrome paint teqnique before. It looks nothing like chrome, more of a shiny silver. It has no depth, I was very disappointed with the results.

I'd just like a non spray paint alternative for my chrome looking data east speaker panel. A lot of the color flaked off and it looks dingy.

3 weeks later
#1027 3 years ago

Can you add me to the WABAC ramp list please?

2 weeks later
#1101 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Haven't set the price yet. There are two unique brackets on the factory ramp which I would have preferred to offer, but given these small production runs, I doubt I could get a reasonable price to have those brackets produced. I expect I could make the switch bracket but then the issue is only half resolved.
That said, I expect I will offer just the ramp itself, predrilled for installation, or the ramp with a new flap installed. This will leave you with two options for the two brackets.... Either remove and install them yourself (or maybe you have a friend with a rivet press) or you could send the two brackets to me and I would install them on a new ramp for free.
So price?...OK
Just the ramp $105
Ramp with new flap $115
Shipping $15 (Domestic US)

Got any of those data east button housings left to go with the WABAC ramp?

#1105 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Oh, those... Thought I was missing something on the Wabac ramp. I don't have any at the moment. I have the plastic and can make some in time to ship with a Wabac if you want.

If you can that'd be great. I'll take one.

#1114 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

WABAC Ramps are now available for purchase. Please find details here....
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rocky-and-bullwinkle-new-wabac-ramp#post-3568876
Thanks....Mark

Payment sent, looking forward to ramp #2 when your bigger set up is finished.

#1121 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Yes I could probably do that one. Can you measure the longest length of the second section?

I'd be in for the full ramp if you get your larger machine up and running.

#1132 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Checkpoint will have to wait for the new machine.

Dont you love how data east made it a point to make ramps that were either extra large or impossible to replicate?

#1166 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

From another thread

Mark, If I pay to ship the Radical molds to you and then back to Starship fantasy, would you take them on?
Maybe we should talk about a commissioned run where I pay to ship you the molds and you pull off 20 sets of ramps for me. I deal with all the reselling and risk associated with it.

I admire your dedication to get this done

#1168 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

certain titles will NEVER get done if people done step up to make it happen. Sometimes rather than complain I try to take action
Hoping Mark is up for it.

What needs to happen is the starship guys and mark need to make a list of the molds in existence, molds lost, plastics that will be made, won't be made etc.

So the community has a realistic idea of what is possible and what's not

#1169 3 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

What needs to happen is the starship guys and mark need to make a list of the molds in existence, molds lost, plastics that will be made, won't be made etc.
So the community has a realistic idea of what is possible and what's not

I wonder if any of the data east molds still exist. Seems like every DE game has been mentioned here.

#1193 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

checking on that and hope to hear back from starship

See if you can grab an pic of the mold, would be fun to see that. It'd also help people realize how hard it is to make a ramp even with a mold.

1 week later
#1220 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Looks like if i measure diagonally it is almost 24". Maybe this will be better. the squares are 1". sorry i couldn't get a little better, i can't remove because the led strip is hardwired to the playfield.

Looks like each piece is about the size of the wabac ramp is that helps in deciding weather to wait for the bigger machine or not.

20170211_132221 (resized).jpg

#1223 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

unfortunately from what i see, it wouldn't fit in that space. if you look at the pic i posted with it on the grid its bigger that that. Even going diagonally, it looks lit it would need at least 22". Lordloss the piece you are missing from the end of the 2nd part is a decent size. Looks to be about 6" x 2".

Yes, but its also a separate piece. So it would need its own mold.

#1229 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

My large ramp part is 1 piece. The 6" piece missing from yours is part of the big section on mine, not a separate piece.

Odd, mine has brackets to connect the two together. This makes a lot more sense.

#1232 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I have another thread specific to the Wabac ramp and in that thread someone asked where to get decals. I emailed Marc at Marcos and he replied back this morning that he would get right to work on the decals...Sweet!
Thanks, Marco's!

huh... didn't even know that was possible. Its good to know you can reach out for requests.

1 week later
#1259 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Possible but not on my current machine

I have an idea for your current machine. Rocky and Bullwinkle has a 3 bank plastic target set. The plastic square targets are no longer made. They make a wider version (or still have NOS) for the data east star wars targets. But as far as I know these plastic yellow targets are nowhere to be found.

If you were to make these, I'd buy a dozen for my current machine and future spares.

#1262 3 years ago

good find, these might do the trick. Marco has been making more and more parts lately, these were nowhere to be found a year ago. I'll look into it more

3 weeks later
#1311 3 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

Didn't know anyone loved Hook that much. The shine on that playfield is beautiful. Almost hate to see a pinball on it.

We have a HOOK on route near me and I guess it does really well.

#1326 3 years ago

I have a set of NOS rocky and bullwinkle ramps coming in, the other two that you haven't done yet. If you ever decide to do these, I can send these over as a sample.

1 month later
#1364 3 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

$146 shipped and that may be not even be in USD.

Seems like a fair price. When my wife says something costs too much I ask her how much it's supposed to cost.

146 seems in the ballpark freeeplay would charge for a bigger ramp

3 weeks later
#1455 3 years ago

+1 for a Jurassic park ramp on the new machine

3 weeks later
#1485 3 years ago

Freeplay, I have a NOS Jurassic park subway. This item is prone to breakage. If you're interested once you're back up and running let know.

Good luck with your operation!

1 week later
5 months later
#1706 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Pinbot is a definite at some point......need larger heater. As far as color, I could do it in the new blue or the turquois.

Most likely, but as with Pinbot Space Shuttle....need bigger heater.

I need to apply to be your apprentice, help you get that new machine off the ground and learn the trade

1 month later
#1821 2 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I need the subway ramp for Jurassic park. I just looked at mine and it's toast...

I have a nos ramp for the subway if freeplay is interested.

1 week later
#1844 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Yikes!.....That's a whole lotta ramps!

Then it arrives and they tinted it wrong and you're SOL

#1845 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Can you post a photo of the Jurassic subway ramp?

20180129_154853 (resized).jpg

20180129_154801 (resized).jpg

20180129_154757 (resized).jpg

20180129_154752 (resized).jpg

#1846 2 years ago

This should have been a metal subway like Tommy or Rocky. It attached to the VUK and often gets damaged at the end right there.

1 month later
#1962 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Yes I could do them but I have quite a few to get to first. This is the first I've heard of anyone needing it, so that doesn't help.

I'd take one.

3 months later
#2445 2 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Add me to the list of folks that would buy a reproduction Data East Time Machime warp ramp.
I would also offer to help fund the R&D on this one as well to help both myself and others get access to new ramps for this awesome game.
If the issue holding back a potential remake is the investment I would offer seed money (no strings) and look for a few other like minded Pinsiders to join me as well
I do understand that this ramp is complex so it may not be as simple as costs ...

My NOS one could be used as a model, but freeplay has said it would a cold day in hell before he finds time to do that ramp. ( not his actual words)

#2456 2 years ago

Lets get that bigger machine done!

#2458 2 years ago

Here is a good request for Freeplay, the TOMMY pinball topper. Its made of plastic, then chromed up in a secondary process. I'm sure sure there are a LOT of people who could use the topper.

4 weeks later
#2562 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

WOW! How long have you had them?

Long enough that he only cared to mention it when someone else took matters into their own hands

#2566 2 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

PM’d about Data East Jurassic Park Ramp.
No availibility and i think the JP club(s) would buy several!!

In b4 machine too small.

2 months later
#2687 1 year ago

i have all the donors ready and waiting for this.

1 week later
#2700 1 year ago
Quoted from pintime:

That is comet ramp for comet game it's not the comet ramp for cyclone ,that one is made by starship fantasy

Hehehe

4 weeks later
#2753 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

I always picture Mark building ramps in some kind of Willy-Wonka-esque factory with a bunch of tiny orange helpers.

I'll quit my job and takeover his house/ramp factory. I do have the golden ramp ticket.

1 week later
#2798 1 year ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I'm pretty sure Starship Fantasy is going to focus on what sells quick.
Ramps and forms no one is making anymore:
Space Shuttle Ramp
Grand Lizard Head
Grand Lizard Ramp
Bride Of Pinbot Helmet
What else?
There should be a list of Ramps & Parts no one will ever see. If someone doesn't step up.
We should have some HERO status on pinside of anyone who fills the gap in a public domain kinda way
that won't pisss off anyone.
We should be having Ramp Maker classes at all the Major Pinball fest.

Starship is lazy and cant produce.

#2801 1 year ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Mark has been asked about how he makes them but he hasn't told anyone. Why would he tell potential competition?

Its gotta be lucrative, but also time consuming.

#2820 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I found it a little funny that on the internet you either see homebrew, shop vac forming or industrial forming...very little in the middle...like me. I had to do a lot of fabrication and testing to get something that would work. You guys that have been following me since the beginning have seen photos of my first machine attempts.
The homebrew stuff can form the smaller ramps in thin material....not to make fun of, but there was a guy here on Pinside that was trying to make the Comet center ramp. His first attempt didn't look too good and the plastic he used was so thin that to finish the ramp, he was able to cut it out with scissors! I did try to help him, but he very quickly disappeared.
One very important component to this is the power of the vacuum. These homebrew guys use shop vacs for the vacuum. Vacuum power is measured by how far a vacuum machine will pull mercury up a tube. A typical shop vac will pull the mercury 6"-8" up the tube. My machine's vacuum power would pull the mercury 25" up the tube...I actually have a vacuum gauge on my machine. It's easy to vacuum form say a car body for a remote controlled vehicle out of 1/16" plastic with these home brew set ups...however the thicker plastic will need more "suck" to get the necessary detail.
Like I've said...not rocket science...but maybe more of an art and the actual forming is the easy part. Most of the work is in the making of the mold and the finishing. I don't do any CNC finishing. I use either "jigs" or simply finish them by hand. The finishing is where I lose the most pieces which is really frustrating sometimes since you have formed it, possibly dyed it and then you screw it up!

Freeplay do these molds of your go bad after so many pulls?

#2853 1 year ago

Demo man ramps will print money

#2875 1 year ago

Freeplay, your'e gonna have a mutiny on your hands if you keep waiting on the larger heater.

#2880 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Why do I get the feeling that would make you happy?...

You just gotta be careful about expectations. Easy to get hopes up and get burned out.

2 months later
#3048 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

It's not about someone or anyone being touchy, it's entirely about courtesy!!
If you start a thread about making Gottlieb ramps i doubt you will have any worries getting the word out to the pinball community.

Freeplay has always said he doesn't want to do duplicate efforts... so if he hasn't seen that he may or may not reconsider that ramp now.

#3068 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Ooooohhh….Green...Haven't done a good green yet.

You'll need a Godzilla sized heater!

3 months later
#3275 1 year ago
Quoted from RobF:

HS owners might be interested in a stoplight replacement that I am working on that should be an alternative to relocating the stock housing. Full credit to Freeplay, this was his idea
More info here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over/page/53#post-5082176[quoted image]

You can buy the stock housing now at pinball life.... It's no longer unobtanium

1 week later
#3299 1 year ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

Almost all of my tools are aluminum or cast aluminum. If I make a tool it is always made of epoxy. Some epoxy works. Some don't. Much depends on how many ramps you can get off a tool. So far the tools I have made have been excellent but I haven't made more than 100 pulls.

You could do a kickstarter. It's basically a presale. If you don't get enough, not big deal.

7 months later
#3895 8 months ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

Do you have Phantom of the opera subways?

I could sell you my NOS one for $100 plus shipping

7 months later
#4136 16 days ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

The original molds for judge dread are sitting here in my shop

Quoted from JodyG:

I didn't know the originals were in existence still...I made the Road Show ramps this summer.

Isn't doing anyone any good just sitting there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Bellevue, WA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lordloss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside