IMG_7483.gif
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 List of remade ramps Posted by Freeplay40 (8 years ago)

Post #200 F-14 ramp mold Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #210 F-14 ramp preview with various colors Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #232 Examples of the F-14 ramp installed in a game Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #241 F-14 ramp finished Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #258 Hurricane ramp form test Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #264 Original Hurricane ramp differences Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #289 Hurricane ramp finished Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #305 Finished hurricane ramp photi Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Post #310 Finished hurricane ramp Posted by Freeplay40 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jodyg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3042 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Jody Gontero posted on Facebook that he is making Hollywood Heat ramps and they will be ready to ship in a couple of days.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1413885755408760/permalink/1463600537103948/?sale_post_id=1463600537103948&rt=11
OP: The Hollywood Heat ramp factory is in production this weekend. Made up a purple tinted experiment, and will try teal as well as pink this week!
Me: If you aren't on Facebook pm me and I'll ask the seller for his email address.
All of these Pinsiders expressed interest in a Hollywood Heat ramp.
pinballer22
jay
@xanther
pinchatt
wpgpins
racer_x

I also have ramps made for Arena. Gold Wings is about 2 weeks out and Spring Break is on deck after that.

Added over 5 years ago:

Peace out.

#3046 5 years ago

There's a reason I didn't post pics here...mentioning them here was a courtesy so they don't get duplicated. But I'll go back to the old way of keeping everyone in the dark if it pleases the crown. Way too many touchy people here.

1 year later
#4020 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Everyone need ramps. There are so many needed and frankly so few doing it...The reason so few do it is that it very labor intensive. There is a skill set required to do it. Just exactly what those skills are is hard to explain.....and investment. The investment is both money and a lot of time....a lot of time. I've been doing this for going on 6 years I guess now....and I still cannot make them fast enough.
I've seen many attempt this, only to disappear...until now.
Please welcome JodyG to the ramp making effort. JodyG has already produced several needed pieces. JodyG and I have had some wonderful discussions about making ramps, and he is the real deal and will grow to be an asset in the ramp making effort. I will support him any way I can.
JodyG also feels the same way as both myself and Larry at Starship do with respect to duplication of efforts. No sense at this time with so many ramps needed to duplicate efforts, so we will all work toward producing the unobtaniums.
Please join me in welcoming, JodyG to the wonderful world of ramps.

Thank you for the kind words, Mark. I look forward to continuing to help the pinball community attain the hard to find parts they need to keep machines not only running, but looking great! The three of us combining our different skill sets and experiences should make for a lot of satisfied pinball fans. As was touched on above, there is no playbook out there on how to successfully make pinball ramps. Tons of trial and error go into the process for each ramp, and no two projects ever seem to be the same. That is how I arrived at the Ramp-O-Matic name...a play on the fantasy that some magical machine spits out a finished ramp with no more than a idea and the push of a button. Reality could not be farther from the truth!

Right now I am specializing in some of the oddball ramps that do not have a ton of demand for bigger runs. I have a soft spot for System 80B games, as you may be able to tell. I currently work as a journeyman Tool & Die maker and CAD Designer, but I do not do mold work in my normal duties. I probably have a solid 25 years before I will be able to retire...so my time is somewhat limited in the ramp department compared to Larry and Mark.

Thanks everyone!

4 weeks later
#4044 3 years ago

Yep, that is my problem child, but I think it will be worked out soon thanks to some great help from Freeplay40!

1 week later
#4066 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I just checked and the batch I have at the moment measures .165". My ".150" which is one of my favorite thicknesses measured .139". The batch of what we refer to as 1/8" which is actually +/- .118" measured .112".

My 3/16" is .181", my 1/8" is .118" and I have some .100" that measures .091". I guess the nominal size includes the protective plastic?

3 weeks later
#4084 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

I have a question for Starship Fantasy, JodyG, and Freeplay40. Have any of you considered making the subway ramp for #Data East Jurassic Park ? I know the originals were made in a thin material that's not very robust. Thanks.

I was going to do this at the beginning of the pandemic...but the guy that was going to loan me his hasnt been around to meet up. Im still willing to turn this around for someone if they have one I can borrow.

#4086 3 years ago
Quoted from Juicerc51:

Whats the time frame for something like this? I could lend mine out since im restoring my JP.

PM'd you.

#4090 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

I have also a question for lrosent345, JodyG, and Freeplay40.
Is there any chance for the Air Raid ramp for Judge Dredd?
It's a small ramp (probably the smallest I have seen), and almost always broken at the entrance.
Thanks.
[quoted image][quoted image]

If nobody else wants to do it, I am willing to take it on. I would need someone stateside with one I could borrow though. I'm always looking for small ramps to fill in around the big ones, which keeps the costs lower for all.

2 months later
#4135 3 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

Roadshow and high speed and pin bot here too

I didn't know the originals were in existence still...I made the Road Show ramps this summer.

20200704_111740 (resized).jpg20200704_111740 (resized).jpg
#4149 3 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

I think this is JD. 5 parts
[quoted image]

This mold looks super easy to separate into individual ramps. These pics are great, thanks for sharing!

#4171 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

The term Water Line was mentioned earlIer. What is that?

On high production tools, they will drill passageways into the molds to run a cold water line through and help dissipate heat in the mold. This will allow you to get more parts per hour off the mold by allowing the parts to cool faster. Not much of a concern for us guys making 6-12 parts at a time...but if you are running a 1000 part order, time is money!

#4195 3 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

I am going to have to bring this one up again. Last Action Hero Blue Tar Pit Ramp.
It's an underrated pin that is gaining more popularity since you can still get it for a decent price, but I would guess at least 25% to 50% of all of them have a partially broken tar pit ramp.

I have a local guy lined up to loan me his to make a mold from, but I have not gotten around to deciding if I can even do it or not. I am not sure if Freeplay40 has had that one his radar or not, but its definitely an interesting piece that may require some new techniques to make.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4201 3 years ago
Quoted from cobra18t:

Do you guys ever CNC probe scan a ramp and then CNC a new mold from the scan? It seems like that could be a nice way to do it with lower risk to the donor ramp. You would then have the ramp scan or mold 3D model that you could propagate to other people if you wanted.
Sincerely,
-A pinball enthusiast jonesing for those Demo Man ramps

I am sure its possible, but CNC cutting a ramp mold would be very costly. You would need to sell hundreds of them to get your money back.

1 month later
#4235 3 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Gonna ask this here because this seems like the place that people might know. Does anyone make the horseshoe ramp for bally Atlantis. Freeplay40 was nice enough to get me a new lift ramp but I'm finding the entrance on that upper ramp is pretty beat and I would like to get a new one if anyone makes it.

I have someone lined up to send me a donor to make this one. This is a reminder that I need to have them send it over.

2 months later
#4386 3 years ago

That main Radical ramp looks like it has a lot going on!

2 months later
#4468 3 years ago
Quoted from Pindrew:

I can only beg for a Indianapolis 500 left ramp - they are always damaged...
Anyways, nice work with the ramps.

You're in luck, no need to beg any more...should be available in May.

20210410_162143 (resized).jpg20210410_162143 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4504 2 years ago
Quoted from koops:

hey Freeplay40 there was mention about tron ramps in this thread here not sure if you saw it or not.
A donor offered access to their nos ramp ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-anyone-want-to-reproduce-the-tron-legacy-right-ramp#post-6245927 )
vid1900 asked a good couple of general questions about new ramps too "Still patent protected for another 9 years? Still too new to have enough demand?".
Are ramps patent protected from being reproduced by people like yourself?

I highly doubt Stern patented the ramps. Max a patent is good for is 20 years, so any game before 2001 is already no issue.

6 months later
#4645 2 years ago

The buildings are tough as it is. I

Quoted from fastpinball:

His body is getting older and his brain tells him "make more ramps!" I think it takes the physical distance from the ability to make ramps to force a little break.
When I was up there last I got to see the Radical! development. That one made ME want to take a break.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

I got to play a Radical today, and I thought of him as I gave a closer look at the big ramp he is working on. Definitely a big, but worthy headache!

7 months later
#4798 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Cliffy has them...Just not on his website. Just reach out to him.

FYI if Cliffy is out, I have them. Gottlieb part number is 25056.

1 year later
#4967 8 months ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

What he said and the Grandchildren.

Me three...its been a great summer of not doing much ramp stuff for the first time in a few years. I painted myself in a bit of a corner the last two autumns with promised projects for some persistent customers. That will not be happening this year. I'll re-evaluate new projects in November at the earliest.

4 months later
#5039 4 months ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Any tips on applying the 3m? It’s super thin and from my experiences , difficult to keep it from not peeling together.

I clean the ramp decal thoroughly with alcohol, peel one side of the 3m backer off, apply the decal to the 3M material. Then trim around the decal with scissors or an x-acto knife. Then remove the other side of the adhesive backer when you are ready to apply.

If you have trouble getting the old goo off the decal all the way, Goo Gone will make quick work of it and not damage the decal. Just be sure to clean the Goo Gone residue off with alcohol before applying.

1 month later
#5059 75 days ago

Ive had a couple "sweaty palm" moments myself when making ramp molds from an irreplaceable ramp I borrowed from someone. One way or another, it always works out though. As we have said many times, every new ramp project is different from the previous ones!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Carrollton, TX
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jodyg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps?tu=jodyg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.