Topic Stats

• 4,055 posts
  • 636 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Freeplay40
  • Topic is favorited by 371 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 524 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0537 (resized).JPG
IMG_0414 (resized).JPG
IMG_1670 (resized).JPG
IMG_1669 (resized).JPG
20200625_195120 (resized).jpg
20200625_142252 (resized).jpg
20200625_133502 (resized).jpg
IMG_0170 (resized).jpg
IMG_0169 (resized).jpg
20200602_164241 (resized).jpg
20200602_164326 (resized).jpg
20200602_164247 (resized).jpg
ramps (resized).jpg
20200509_193129 (resized).jpg
20200509_193118 (resized).jpg
20200509_193105 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 List of remade ramps Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #200 F-14 ramp mold Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #210 F-14 ramp preview with various colors Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #232 Examples of the F-14 ramp installed in a game Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #241 F-14 ramp finished Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #258 Hurricane ramp form test Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #264 Original Hurricane ramp differences Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #289 Hurricane ramp finished Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #305 Finished hurricane ramp photi Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #310 Finished hurricane ramp Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaytrem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1762 2 years ago

I'm hoping to need a Comet Corkscrew soon.

1 week later
#1815 2 years ago

239.50 was the final eBay price, crazy!

1 week later
#1859 2 years ago

Picked up a Comet yesterday. So +1 for the Corkscrew. Thanks!!!

I'm also going with the hardtop install in about a month or so.

#1866 2 years ago

Anybody planning on painting the corkscrew ramp orange when it comes out? I'd love to have an orange one, but would prefer to have somebody who actually knows what there doing to paint it for me. Would be willing to pay of course. Translucent orange ones should be interesting, can't wait to see how those look.

Thanks!!!

1 week later
#1878 2 years ago

Looks great. If you can make the corkscrew as orange as that is red, it should look awesome. Got my Comet hardtop in the mail today, now if only I had a nice new corkscrew.

#1880 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

It's coming...I just want to get the Guns and Roses run done.

I'm not really in any hurry, very excited though. I do appreciate your work!

1 week later
#1914 2 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Almost done with my Comet playfield restoration. I sure would love to be able to put a new corkscrew ramp on it rather than patching up the crappy broken original. How's it going with that one?

Playfield done yet? That was looking great, would love to see more pics as the project moves along. The work you put into that is amazing, can't tell you how impressed I am. Should be starting mine own soon, going the lazy man's route and using a hardtop.

Here's the link, in case anybody would like to see what I'm talking about...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-restoration-project

#1917 2 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I'll be doing a Hardtop install also on my Comet taking my playfield to a local guy tonight to fix up and clear the shooter lane so it will be ready for the Hardtop
A nice new corkscrew ramp will be great.
Going to order a new right jump ramp from Starship then the last piece would be a center ramp at some point and Comet will look awesome.

Cool, we'll have to compared notes. Bad news on the cycle jump, Starship is out of stock, think it's been that way for a while. Can't find it anywhere else either. Previous owner modified mine with a home made cover type thing, not overly noticeable, but I'd love a new one.

That's great about the Comet center ramp, mine is in pretty good shape, just a bit of damage where the ball drops. Will still be happy to pick one up from you. Thanks again for keeping our pins looking and playing good!!!

1 week later
#1942 2 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Someone made those not too long ago. I picked one up from Marco last year. Looks like they are out of stock now.

Yup, seems like everybody is out of stock. If somebody would make them again, I'm sure they'd sell a bunch. And probably good to have an extra even with the tougher plastic.

1 week later
#1970 2 years ago

Me three for all three!!!

#1979 2 years ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

Spin out rampis available in blue and red. No yellow. I have them and so does bay area amusements.

Any chance you'll be doing a run of the Comet ramp? Seems to be a demand and I think Mark mentioned he doesn't like to do black. Thanks.

#1982 2 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Transparent red would look good.

Just took a look at mine, I agree, I think red would look good. Not so sure about green.

1 week later
#2003 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

See photo and let me know what you think of the orange.

Looks great!!!

#2049 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I have quite a few requests for this one. At the moment I have formed 22 and will be forming more today. Looks like I can dye about 12 a day. Once dyed they will then be finished. So I still have a few more days work before I can start selling them. New ramps will include both new flaps as well. Price? Have not set it yet (I prefer to see what the failure rate is) but thinking the clear for $65 for those wanting to paint their own and the orange for $80 at most.

Great timing, the crack in my current one is getting bigger every day. Thanks again for making them!!!

Done with taxes, time for some pinball.

#2061 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

A little Cork Screw Candy....

Middle stack, 2nd from the bottom looks extra nice. Can I get that one please? Seriously though, they're going to look awesome. Can't wait to see one installed.

#2063 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Comet made me SO much money back in the day, literally buckets and buckets of cash.
And even a few years ago when James "King of Cranes" and I put it and a bunch of pins in a bar for 20 year olds, it out earned everything, including AFM

Any thoughts on why they did so well? Theme? Simplicity, just enough features to be attractive? Shorter game time, with an obvious but not often attainable million point shot, keeps players dropping in more coins? Sorry to go off topic, just interested in why it would beat out AFM and others in earnings. Thanks.

#2088 2 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Transparent green, if you can match it well enough.
If you look at the playfield nothing else makes more sense. Orange trail leads to the orange corkscrew ramp. Green trail leads to the jump ramp.
For originality it makes sense to keep it black, but we're already getting away from that with the transparent corkscrew ramp.

I agree, yellow trail goes to the funhouse, so I wouldn't want that. Green does make sense but nit sure how good it will look. Red might be okay, it would go with the playfield below it. If given the option I think I would stick with black. How about red, white and blue to match Dillons outfit?

#2101 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

OK. When I get to this one I will plan on showing it in a few color variations.....That said, it look like black might be desired as well. I just checked with my supplier and he had black ABS in 1/8" and the next thickness he had was 3/16". I would have liked something in the middle, but thought what the hell...I ordered a sheet of the 3/16". That will reeeeealy increase the strength. Hard to say what the original thickness was on the factory ramp as the thickness changes when formed, but I would guess it was .060....what I just ordered is .187...so basically three time as thick!

Awesome, thanks for doing that. Will be interesting to see the other colors, but my gut says I'll stick with black.

#2128 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Please bear with me...all just takes time. Although I am retired I have some work I need to do to one of my mother's homes which are rentals that pay for her adult care. The icing on the cake is that my brother is coming from Costa Rica on the 26th for one of his visits, which always seem to come at the worst times. While it is always good to see him, I just wish it would happen during a lull in production!

Family is way more important than our corkscrew ramps. I think most of us are just thrilled that you're making them at all. And now the cycle jump, and eventually the Comet!!! You're already my hero!!! Take as much time as you need. And thank you!!!

On a personal note, tomorrow is my birthday and self imposed deadline for start of the Comet project. So I'll play my last game for a while tomorrow before bed. Hope I can end it with a million point cycle jump!!! Super excited for the hardtop install, hopefully it all works when I'm finished. Got just about everything working perfectly now, bit reluctant to stop playing and tear it apart.

#2141 2 years ago

Anybody else notice the cycle jump on ebay? Starting bid of $150, no bids yet. Not sure if it's a repro or NOS. Either way Mark may have killed the bidding on that one.

#2151 2 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I will buy corkscrew ramp and a cycle jump ramp please

Me too please. Project is officially under way. Playfielf sure looks nice where the mylar was, the rest not so much.

15241908361791774708820 (resized).jpg

#2160 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Jaytrem, the one I just bought looks a lot like yours. The area covered with mylar looks nearly perfect, everywhere else is trashed. Are you planning on doing a hardtop or actually fixing that all up?

Hardtop all the way!!! All ready have it in hand ready to go. Amazing job pinheadpierre did, way beyond my skills though. I'll be lucky if I can get that thing back together. I was surprised how easy the mylar came up and did almost no damage. I didn't freeze it at all since there was really no reason to be careful. Couldn't believe how nice it was underneath.

Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Any of you Comet guys have a good backglass that can get scanned

There's a Comet jigglymartian is possibly bringing to Pinfest that is supposed to have a real nice one. Mine is not bad, some fade but not terrible, a couple scrapes near the fireworks that kinda blend in, and one annoying bright dot on a front row kid. I'll be away that weekend so can't make it to Pinfest (bah), else would possibly try to make a trade.

Quoted from Freeplay40:

Have you number 11 on my list....

My favorite number, thanks!

#2173 2 years ago

I'll be happy to pay for the corkscrew now, but I don't mind waiting to ship it until the cycle jump is also ready. I suspect you'll have it done before I'm ready to use it.

If the smoke cycle jump looks as good as the corkscrew it will be a tough decision.

Thanks!!!

#2175 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Better to just wait. There may be a price difference between black ABS and dyed PETG.

Will do, thanks.

#2184 2 years ago

Just curious, has anybody expressed interest in the clear ones? Or is everybody going orange? Thanks.

1 week later
#2210 2 years ago

Kydex sounds good to me, thanks.

#2222 2 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Hey Mark I don't want you to have to eat the cost of making all the rest of us a much needed part. If it takes another $10 or $15 to make sure you are compensated for all your hard work so be it. The cycle jump ramp gets the hell beat out of it so if I can get one made of kydex for a little more $$$ ghen i'm in.

+1, 100 years from now my great great grandchildren will appreciate the kydex.

#2233 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

After a few trial and errors and the Kydex Cycle Jump ramp successfully formed. In the photo below is a ABS on the left and the two on the right are Kydex. Setting up jigs now for the machining. Getting close!

Nice!!! Any chance you can use the cutouts to do some strength testing? I'll still go Kydex, just curious to see what happens when pressure is applied. Like does Kydex bend where ABS crack or vice versa? No need to be super scientific, just squeeze with pliers and see what happens. Thanks!!!

#2255 2 years ago

Looks great!!! Can you make me a custom Kydex with the opening on the opposite end? That million point shot is just to darn hard. Kidding of course, it's much easier to just swap the switches. Thanks for your hard work!

#2264 2 years ago

Feel free to bump me down the list a bit for the Kydex ramp. Very excited to get that and the corkscrew, but kidney stones have slowed down my project progress. I'm finally about ready to sand the playfield so I can do my hardtop install. Hopefully start on that this weekend. Anyway, I'll be happy to pay now or when ever, but probably won't be able to use them for a good month. So no hurry to get mine out. Thanks!

#2282 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Trying to get a bunch of stuff done today and then going in for a minor day surgery tomorrow morning.

That sounds exactly like my day. Good luck with yours!

#2292 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Home from surgery and feeling great!

Glad to hear that. Mine went well too, but I'm considering changing my username to Richard_Hertz.

Also, in an effort to keep my mind off of no eating and drinking I managed to sand my playfield this morning. Woohoo, making progress!

#2297 2 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Also very glad to hear that both yours Mark and jaytrem's surgeries both went well.

Thanks, first and also hopefully last.

#2302 2 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Vasectomy? You should do that in March so you can lay on the couch and watch the college basketball tournament.
I get one every year.

, no such luck, kidney stone removal. But at least I get another day off so can do more work on my Comet.

#2321 2 years ago

I think that red looks too nice to pass up! Any chance I can also go with the "Malenko Plan", 1 red + 1 Kydex? I'm thinking long range though, I'd keep both. The red looks amazing, but if there was ever a place where Kydex might be needed it could be there. So if after 10 or 15 years and the ball finally smashes through the red, I be all set with the Kydex. Thanks!!!

Malenko, I really like the way those extra lights light up the Comet plastic. Thanks for sharing the pics, no doubt have to steal your idea.

1 week later
#2356 2 years ago

Got my ramps, they look great, thanks!!!

1 week later
#2380 2 years ago

Getting close, ramps look great! Thanks Mark!

Comet ramp even cleaned up pretty well.

20180610_213942 (resized).jpg
#2385 2 years ago

It's a hardtop, I'm very happy with it. So far I would highly recommend it to anybody with a trashed playfield. Hopefully it holds up nicely.

Mark, your cycle ramp made a nice catch tonight....

20180612_173332 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#2676 1 year ago

Me three for the Comet! Mark is already making me a Comet ramp for my Hurricane (picked up a nice one last week). Very excited for that. Would also be happy to participate in the new heater crowd funding. Still think the red cycle jump odd the coolest thing ever!

#2679 1 year ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

It's not a matter of money it's a matter of time.

I was looking at it as more of a "thank you" gesture than chipping in because it will get it done quicker thing. I don't know for sure, but I suspect other feel the same way. I'm continually amazed at the cottage industry that takes place in the pinball world. Seems like everything else can be purchased on Amazon, but not all cool pinball stuff, pretty awesome! Love to support all those folks any way I can.

2 weeks later
#2696 1 year ago

Oh no, hole in the box!!! Luckily the ramp is perfect. Thanks Mark!

20181119_180747[1] (resized).jpg20181119_181316[1] (resized).jpg
#2698 1 year ago

Now if I can just figure out where it goes.

20181119_190552[1] (resized).jpg
#2701 1 year ago
Quoted from pintime:

That is comet ramp for comet game it's not the comet ramp for cyclone ,that one is made by starship fantasy

Actually it's a Hurricane Comet, not a Comet Comet, my Cyclone Comet is indeed one of the Starship ones. If it was Comet Comet Mark would probably be getting 20+ requests tonight, including me. Then again if it was a Comet Comet from Mark, I guess I wouldn't need another. Really I'm just trying to figure out where the 2 black post sleeves go on the Cyclone, previous owner added more black. Hurricane is the next project, but still need to order some more stuff.

#2704 1 year ago

Fits perfect...

20181120_165036[1] (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2709 1 year ago

Hurricane ramp finally in the correct machine. Big improvement, thanks Mark!

20181121_183301 (resized).jpg
#2711 1 year ago

Thanks, just need to find that dummy plastic.

#2713 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I actually had two different Hurricane ramps when I made these. The one I went with had the drop whole about 1/2" further towards the front of the machine. I'm guessing you had the shorter one as that orange plastic under the ramp was added to keep the ball from hitting the pop bumper....So you could remove that plastic if you wanted to.

You're right, my old one does appear to be a bit shorter. Thanks for the tip. I bet it would look a bit nicer with that plastic removed. I just replaced some clear caps with the ones that match the LEDs. Love the new look, so it would be nice to see them a bit better. I'm going to take the whole thing apart soon anyway. Just couldn't resist putting in the ramp and the caps.

2 weeks later
#2746 1 year ago

NOS Comet ramp on ebay...

ebay.com link » Williams Pinball 1985 Comet Main Ramp Nos Nice

Mine is in pretty good shape, so I'll wait for Mark's.

3 months later
#3035 1 year ago

I'd be in for the lower Hurricane. If you didn't make such a nice looking center ramp my lower wouldn't look so bad!!!

2 weeks later
#3050 1 year ago

If I was Mark I'd be thrilled that people here were spreading the word on other ramps. Cuts down on the nagging. And maybe gets him a little closer to his ultimate goal of the Comet center ramp! Also, it's not like Jody made the initial post about his ramps, and he's not making ramps that compete with what Mark makes. Seems all good to me.

#3066 1 year ago

As much as I love Mark's colored ramps, I think the Hurricanes are best in clear. Only because you kinda what to see through them. A red Hurricane might look pretty cool though. Hmmmmm.

1 month later
#3145 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Might still be possible, but this GnR run is killing me!

Welcome to the jungle!

#3150 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

that's going to be the prettiest hurricane west of the Mississippi!!! thanks again mark!

Can't wait to see that in the machine. Please post pics. Thanks!

4 weeks later
#3218 1 year ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

I have most of the original Williams molds. Most are made of Aluminum or cast aluminum and are water cooled. Marc can make a mold for far less cost than mailing my monsters up and back.

Cool, any chance you can post a picture of one? Would love to see what they look like. Thanks!

1 month later
#3349 11 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

As I complete the ramps for Black Belt and Radical, I will be pausing new ramp development and focusing on the heater.

Nice! Getting closer to Comet time!

#3367 11 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm new to this thread but am going to buy Comet ramps. Just trying to decide if I should get the red or black cycle ramp. Or perhaps both?

I bought both the red and extra strong black. The red looks amazing, but it nice to know I have a spare. The red is much tougher than the original but who knows if it can stand up to another 20 years of hits.

#3370 11 months ago
Quoted from chad:

I do like that red on Comet.

And it looks even better in person! Really "wowed" me when I put it in.

1 week later
#3399 10 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

There was a guy a couple years ago that offered me an obscene amount of money for a Black Belt ramp. Told him it just didn't work that way and he should just wait for either me or someone else to reproduce it.

That's too bad. I was going to offer you 1 MILLION Rupiahs for a Comet center ramp.

Ramp looks awesome!

2 months later
2 weeks later
#3702 7 months ago

Happy birthday ramp man!

#3721 7 months ago

Sorry for your loss. She's in a better place for sure. Glad you found her a nice place. My wife works in a few nursing homes, seems like the quality is all over the map.

1 month later
#3761 6 months ago

Can't post Comet pics right now. But most of my center ramp damage is at the exit hole. Still works fine for now, but I've seen some with home made fixes that I may have to do at some point. I've also seen a bunch that are smashed pretty good on the sides of the entry area. Mine is still pretty nice there, just a but of cracking I think.

1 month later
#3867 5 months ago

That blue ramp flap looks awesome! Didn't realize that was an option.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Braselton, GA
$ 50.00
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 259.99
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 137.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Boards
PCB Emporium
4,950 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Plymouth, MN
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Natalia, TX
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaytrem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside