New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 150775)

Freeplay40 Ramps

By Freeplay40

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,219 posts
  • 665 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by PinDeLaPin
  • Topic is favorited by 380 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 554 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E8FE1304-E52F-4002-9362-1466CE54E507 (resized).jpeg
124572184_358916842005717_8168906729087502350_n (resized).jpg
124554767_679766266076734_2112385640318771999_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20201103_011621444 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1454[1] (resized).JPG
PXL_20201014_035222609 (resized).jpg
20201016_073304 (resized).jpg
IMG_1451 (resized).JPG
IMG_6476 (resized).jpg
DSCN7277 (resized).JPG
C63BD060-53DA-4BAB-B23E-B4AB6846980B (resized).jpeg
B9986BE6-D7BB-4111-B986-92D9FDDD5573 (resized).jpeg
7ADD8B22-B002-49E5-B053-BED57831A558 (resized).jpeg
0BEC1DEC-4804-43CF-9A9F-DB63124C606D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 List of remade ramps Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #200 F-14 ramp mold Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #210 F-14 ramp preview with various colors Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #232 Examples of the F-14 ramp installed in a game Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #241 F-14 ramp finished Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #258 Hurricane ramp form test Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #264 Original Hurricane ramp differences Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #289 Hurricane ramp finished Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #305 Finished hurricane ramp photi Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Post #310 Finished hurricane ramp Posted by Freeplay40 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bertodrink1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1243 3 years ago

I would be in for both Black Rose ramps, I really need the left ramp as mine is cracked but I'd be in for a new whirlpool ramp also.
I got access to a good left ramp if you need it also. My whirlpool ramp is fine just yellowed.

11 months later
#1811 2 years ago

Great news on the Comet ramp just saw that, I'm going to be starting a Hartop install soon.
I'll be in for a corkscrew ramp for sure and if the center ramp could be at some point that one also.
Would the corkscrew ramp be made of clear or could it be done in color red might work they did them in Orange mine is in black.

#1813 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

The "stock" corkscrew is orange plastic. The one I was loaned has a black rim painted on it. I certainly won't be doing it in orange opaque plastic. I will do it in clear for those who want to paint it orange to match the original. I anticipated dying the plastic orange (transparent), but red, yellow, blue or turquois are also possible.
I guess I should be starting a list!

I'll take it in clear just to keep it simple. It would look good with a color changing led under it.

With the Hardtop playfield decals being made for it and if you get to the corkscrew ramp that is going to save a lot of Comets, the original ramps where poorly made and I think they where painted with crayons . If you could do the center ramp wow that would be awesome. There is a new old stock center ramp a Pinsider put on eBay and it's at $200 bucks already I was watching it but I'm sure it's going to go well over $300 out of my price range for it.
Thanks for doing these ramps and saving pins.

1 month later
#1915 2 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Playfield done yet? That was looking great, would love to see more pics as the project moves along. The work you put into that is amazing, can't tell you how impressed I am. Should be starting mine own soon, going the lazy man's route and using a hardtop.
Here's the link, in case anybody would like to see what I'm talking about...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-restoration-project

I'll be doing a Hardtop install also on my Comet taking my playfield to a local guy tonight to fix up and clear the shooter lane so it will be ready for the Hardtop
A nice new corkscrew ramp will be great.
Going to order a new right jump ramp from Starship then the last piece would be a center ramp at some point and Comet will look awesome.

#1920 2 years ago

Oh that sucks at least I still have mine but it is old and made out of terrible plastic. I wonder what could be done to it to help it last a little longer.
Great news on the corkscrew though.

1 week later
#1943 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I'll consider those, but I just don't like doing black plastic.

Like the Corkscrew I'd take one in any color. The original plastic on the Comet Corkscrew and this jump ramp was terrible very thin. I'd buy a couple of any of the ramps you make for Comet. I'll take a clear one maybe a died one also or I would try and paint one spare one black from the bottom.

1 week later
#1968 2 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

I am in for any Comet ramps.

^This, me too

2 weeks later
#2008 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I also wanted to mention that I had another visitor the other day. Ryan with Comet Pinball was in the area last week and had time to visit. Spent a couple hours together just chatting pinball. Good times.

Played a couple games with Ryan at TPF (Alice Cooper and JJP Pirates) good guy and Love their LED's

#2050 2 years ago

I'm in for the Orange Comet ramp it looks great.

If or when the Black Rose whirlpool ramp can be made I'd be in on that one also. But the one I think a lot of people might need is the Black Rose left ramp but that one is pretty long. Mine was broken a couple pieces busted out be the entrance luckily when I shopped it out I found all the pieces and was able to at least glue it all together so it plays OK just doesn't look great.

#2076 2 years ago
Quoted from squad8:

I have a spare cycle jump ramp that I offered, if you need it.

It would look GREAT in transparent Yellow

#2107 2 years ago

I like that Smoke also for the jump ramp better than just black, at least it will make it easier to see the saucer under it. But in the end any thing new would be better than the flimsy thing I got now even a new stronger black one would be fine.

Ordered my Hardtop for Comet going to start that install next week can't wait for the new cork screw ramp, and new jump ramp would be great also

#2142 2 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Anybody else notice the cycle jump on ebay? Starting bid of $150, no bids yet. Not sure if it's a repro or NOS. Either way Mark may have killed the bidding on that one.

Yeah had that come up a month or so ago I might have bought it myself but now I'll wait for a better one.

#2159 2 years ago

I can wait for the Corkscrew until the jump ramp is ready. I think I'll go with a Smoke jump ramp also looks good.

I'm doing a Hardtop install and i'm going to re-stencil the cab now if only I can find a back glass with color as mines has none and BGresto hasn't found one to scan to reproduce it yet. Any of you Comet guys have a good backglass that can get scanned

#2162 2 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

My glass is mint, but I dont have a scanner. Someone local is welcome to come scan it.

Thanks guys I messaged BGresto to get some info I'll see what they say.

#2186 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

So far it's orange all the way. There is one guy who initially expressed interest in 2 clear and one orange, but he has not responded yet.

If the center ramp can get made I would try a complete set in clear but my center ramp is to yellowed to have nice clear ramps next it.

1 week later
#2219 2 years ago

So what are the differences in strength and also color?
Kydex: I'm assuming is the strongest but is that in Black only also
ABS: Black VS PETG clear or died

Smoke would still be my choice if it's an option but again not a deal breaker if the Black options are much better. I agree with an above comment that the smoke would match the transparent orange better also.

1 week later
#2253 2 years ago

These Ramps are Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Put me down for a Kydex ramp also. If the smoke comes out OK I'll take one of those also.

#2267 2 years ago

Do you think sets can be ready by the 1st week of June? I am planning on taking mine to the Atlanta Southern Fried Gaming Expo the 8-10th.
Going to start cabinet stencils this week

#2323 2 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Steal away! I ran the wires to the underside of the PF and tapped a GI wire. The wires run near the one way gate leaving the shooting lane, its poking out in the top pic, but its completely covered by the Comet plastics. I'm probably going to find a way to light up the red ramp without over doing it, same for the new corkscrew.
I was going to buy 2 but I think I'm going to have to limit myself to just the red, I have a ton of other little things to buy and its starting to add up (like replacing all the star posts in my comet)

Another thief here also Love that strip of lights. I'm probably going to put a Comet LED Fire bulb inside the Red tube and see how that looks should give it a nice effect, I've got a couple of those in a few random spots. I'll probably also just toss in a couple clear posts with the post lights under them near the Jump ramp and maybe the Corkscrew ramp for extra lighting we'll see not quite there yet lights hope another week or so trying to be finished by the 8th.
After the show I'll probably grab a red ramp also for personal use and that Kydex when I take it to shoes might drag this Comet around for a few shows now with the Hardtop and new ramps it's will be solid.

#2345 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Whew! Over the hump now on the Comet ramps. Many thanks to those who have purchased so far. I've just sent out emails to those I have not heard from yet as a courtesy. Couple more days and full speed ahead on Pinbot!

Can you come back around to the Comet ramps at a later date?

5 months later
#2674 2 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Excellent! My Comet is waiting patiently.

Mines also

#2675 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Yes, I'm just really slow. I have everything I need to build a zoned ceramic heater which would accommodate plastic sheets up to 24" by 36" (first phase) and can be expanded to do 24" by 48"

If i was closer i would volunteer to help you build it also. I would gladly donate to getting you the parts also if needed

2 months later
#2897 1 year ago

I'm in on

Demo Man ramps

Black Rose Whirl Pool ramp. I really need the main ramp on BR but I know that's to big right now, just hate the thought of folding up my BR till a main ramp gets made someday.

And of Course the Comet center ramp

So far of the ramps that can possibly be in que

1 week later
#2924 1 year ago

Has the Road Kings main Y ramp ever been brought up? So many of those are broken, not sure if it's to big also.

3 weeks later
#2962 1 year ago

Had my sons end of basketball season party at my house last weekend and my Black Rose ramp cracked even more.
I'm in dier need of that left ramp.

#2965 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

For the time being, you could repair it with plastic bonder, or weld it together with a soldering iron from underneath

Yeah i did Gorilla glue and mylar when I Orginally got the game before I learned about the plastic bonder. I'm going to pull it out clean it up and do that this time, just going to have to move the pin so it gets less plays just a game for me till something comes along.

1 week later
#3002 1 year ago

I know there in the thread somewhere but are there pics of the F14 ramp installed in the different colors? I'm on the wait list for a new repo playfield so that project will be coming up soon and I wanted to ad one of these new ramps also.

#3003 1 year ago

Sorry I found them didn't see then the last time I looked.

1 month later
#3051 1 year ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

If I was Mark I'd be thrilled that people here were spreading the word on other ramps. Cuts down on the nagging. And maybe gets him a little closer to his ultimate goal of the Comet center ramp! Also, it's not like Jody made the initial post about his ramps, and he's not making ramps that compete with what Mark makes. Seems all good to me.

I agree with this also. The end game is to help fix games no one is going to get Rich making replacement ramps.
I don't have any Gottlieb games in need of those ramps but Now I know someone is doing them and Now I can help spread the word should I find someone looking for those ramps and I definitely know a few people with those games.
Spamming someone else's thread with there for sale stuff wouldn't be cool but just mention it seems like it's not a huge deal.

#3063 1 year ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Agreed!!
Mark when the new heater gets finished and the new Comet center ramp rolls off the assembly line any thought on the 2nd ramp? Have you ever considered or had requests for the left ramp on monopoly?

Black Rose main ramp would be nice. There is also a Pre-order list for the Black Rose repro playfield so that could definitely lead to several restores and new ramps and new playfields are a perfect match

2 months later
#3194 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

So...I think I am actually catching my breath with ramps. Pretty much wrapped up the Guns' 'N Roses...I seriously doubt I will ever do those again! Focusing on just filling orders for existing stuff and working on the molds for Black Belt and Transporter. I have almost finished prepping the Blackbelt donor ramp for casting. Will probably hold off casting the Blackbelt until I get the Transporter ramps ready...btw...going to do all three of them. Once I have all of them cast, I will probably be taking some time off to enjoy a little summer in the mountains while the molds cure. I chose to set up the Blackbelt mold first 'cause it was a bitch!
You all know I get lobbied for ramps a lot. Over the past couple years I have pretty much promised certain ones that I have not gotten to yet. The hardest part and probably my least favorite, is making the molds. I did get a request for one of the ramps for Radical, and I explained that it just was not on any near term radar. He asked if it would help if he made the mold...uh, yeah. So we talked a few times and he took a shot at it. He sent it to me just a week or two ago. He did pretty well....probably 90% there for me. He worked on it a long time and said he never wanted to do that again. I spent today tweaking his handiwork and have it ready to form. Hoping to pull the first one tomorrow. Attached are two photos...How he sent it to me and how I modified it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

With the Black Rose Whirlpool ramp a possibility in the near future I would be interested in helping do a mold for the main ramp. It might be to long for your current set up but if it takes as long to make a good mold it would hopefully get done by the time you have your larger rig ready and that way you could offer a set for BR, again with reproduction playfields hopefully available in the near future also and how much I personally Love BR I would give it a whirl since that is the main ramp I need for my personal pin.
Does the molding process damage the ramp used to make the mold? Mine is repaired but complete and functional, not sure though since it's repaired if it's a good candidate for molding.

#3201 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I can do that one with the current. Black rose is probably next up for me to do, so I will probably do both. At the moment, I am working on the molds for Black Belt, Transporter and we slipped in the one ramp for Radical that dung assisted with. The Radical ramp was cast a few days ago, the Black Belt ramp and the Transporter ramp cover were cast last night. I am working on the other two Transporter Ramps today. I hope to have those cast in just a couple days. Once those are all cast, they need to cure for 12-14 days. Once cured and finished I will produce all of them. Another game I want to work on is Demo Man. I can presently reproduce two of the three ramps. The third will require the new heater and will be one of the first ramps up when I get the heater done.

Glad it can be done with your current set up. Mine blew out at the left entrance like that also, luckily I found the 2 other parts when I shopped it and put it all back together.

I'd be in on the Demo Man Ramps also mine are fine but anything can happen with ramps that are 20+ years old at any time.

2 months later
#3425 1 year ago
Quoted from johndheretic:

I got my Ramps and got them installed yesterday and they look and function awesomely!!! Thank you so much freeplay40 !!!!
And please put me on the list for the Center Ramp too!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That Red jump ramp looks great. I'm very happy with my Kaydex ramp but might want a red jump ramp also when the center ramp is ready also.

1 month later
#3518 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

One of the other two pieces for Radical is larger than my current heat source can handle...I can form larger plastic, but just not set up yet to heat larger plastic. What I'm doing right now is working to complete the two Radical ramps and the Transporter pieces. Once that is basically done, I will continue to get regular orders for stuff I've already made, but I will pause new ramp development (Considering slipping Black Rose in) while I finish the work on the new heat source. Once the new heater is operational, the first pieces I will do are the Comet center ramp and the two remaining Radical Ramps....after those probably Space Shuttle.

Where you going to be able to do the left main ramp on Black Rose also? I definitely am in need of it. I would take a new set for BR.

3 weeks later
#3605 1 year ago

I need the Left Black Rose ramp as mine is cracked at the entrance. I'll buy a whirlpool just cause anything you make for a pin I own I'll buy because yours are better than the originals.
I'm on the list for a Repro BR playfield also hopefully that's done sometime next year so all new ramps would be awesome. The guys doing the playfield also plan on doing the cannon plastic so the more new parts available the better I like new parts.

#3637 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Local friend stopped by today and brought me the Black Rose Whirlpool and left ramps to model from. Spent some time discussing the failures on these ramps and I see some simple modifications that will make them much stronger/more durable. Appears the originals were formed on male molds (The best way) and probably out of .118"/.125" plastic. First off I will definitely go to the .150" plastic. Secondly, while they had the forethought to put protectors on both sides of the entrances to both ramps, the position of the two rivets in each protector are too close to the entrance and due to ball impact close to the rivets, the ramps are developing cracks starting at the rivet holes. What I will do on the left ramp is to extend the protectors about an additional 2" (Up to the decal) and then I can rivet further up the ramp. For the Whirlpool ramp, I will extend the left protector all the way to the cut-out and extend the right protector about 1.5".
Since these protectors are all riveted to the ramps, I think it best if I provide new installed ones....but that will add to the cost. I will also offer a new Lexan cover for Whirlpool. As you all know by now I do not provide decals. As a side note, since I cannot sell the decals I do intend to do some experimenting and already have some ideas to recreate/reuse existing underside decals and if I come up with a simple effective method I will gladly share that knowledge with anyone interested.
The Whirlpool ramp has one unique piece that would be difficult for me to reproduce cheaply. This is a bracket at the top of the ramp where the ramp connects to a wireform. This is something that I would offer to install for you for free if that piece was sent to me.
Probably about a month away.....This is the last project I will start for the time being as my focus turns to the new heater....and...If I don't get busy on that, I fear some Pinsiders will start making death threats or at the least an IMPEACHMENT inquiry!
Cheers...[quoted image]

You are the BEST Mark. YES YES YES to all your ideas to improve the ramps. I have no problem pulling that whirlpool piece and sending it to you to put on for me.

2 weeks later
#3715 1 year ago

Sorry to hear that Mark, take care of you first we'll be here when you are ready to get back at this.

1 month later
#3774 11 months ago

I think I need one also if I'm thinking of the same plastic, is there a Pic somewhere?

Also do you have any clear F14 ramps available? I could use that for my playfield swap.
Berto

4 weeks later
#3855 10 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I'll consider it after the new heater is built. I've committed to no new ramps while I build the heater....that everyone has been waiting on, for......yes......YEARS!

i would be in on one also.

I put Comet Fire LED's behind mine so it looks like there is a fire inside the ship. a smoke clear i think would be nice for this plastic as lights could still be put under it to accent it.

#3857 10 months ago

Sure is a Nice clear ramp there. Just have it installed with that decal mod for now I'll go through Comet's site and try doing something with lighting in that corner and remove that cover and see how it goes.

20200129_144926 (resized).jpg
#3860 10 months ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

That decal is great ! Need one for mine
Did you make it?

The guy that made it sells them on eBay. It looks great and therr are decals for the other side also. I went a long time with just the right side sticker so I can see the balls getting hit by the drivers so we'll see if it says now.

20200129_152521_HDR (resized).jpg
3 months later
#3965 6 months ago

You could count me in on JD ramps as well sometime down the road. The main ramp is a monster of a ramp but that poor little exit part at the end by the right flipper was so poorly designed. I have neoprene washer on my end piece to give it a little flex also, seems to help with absorbing some of the impact.

4 weeks later
#4025 5 months ago

Look at these fresh new beautiful ramps. My original ramps were busted up. Thanks Mark for saving one of my favorite pins.

20200602_164241 (resized).jpg20200602_164247 (resized).jpg20200602_164326 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#4102 3 months ago

I would be in for all the Judge Dredd Ramps from whoever makes them I Love our JD

2 months later
#4160 42 days ago

I'm not seeing all the ramps. In the Molds I don't see the Largest main ramp.

The Pic with the ramps on the board doesn't have the Stake Out ramp.

I'm I wrong?

There are 4 ramps
Main ramp
Black Out
Air Raid
Stake out

Plus the subway right.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 37.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bertodrink1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside