IMG_7483.gif
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 103.
#4501 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Yes, I have a list and you are now on it!

I also want them. I’m I. The list? thanks

#4502 2 years ago

hey Freeplay40 there was mention about tron ramps in this thread here not sure if you saw it or not.

A donor offered access to their nos ramp ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-anyone-want-to-reproduce-the-tron-legacy-right-ramp#post-6245927 )

vid1900 asked a good couple of general questions about new ramps too "Still patent protected for another 9 years? Still too new to have enough demand?".

Are ramps patent protected from being reproduced by people like yourself?

#4503 2 years ago
Quoted from koops:

hey Freeplay40 there was mention about tron ramps in this thread here not sure if you saw it or not.
A donor offered access to their nos ramp ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-anyone-want-to-reproduce-the-tron-legacy-right-ramp#post-6245927 )
vid1900 asked a good couple of general questions about new ramps too "Still patent protected for another 9 years? Still too new to have enough demand?".

I don't even need a set yet and I'd buy them.

#4504 2 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I highly doubt Stern patented the ramps. Max a patent is good for is 20 years, so any game before 2001 is already no issue.

#4505 2 years ago
Quoted from koops:

My plate is very full at the moment, so not really considering anything seriously until I get through the Comet, Radical and Demo Man pieces...might slip in some others.

As far as patents on ramps, generally the ramp itself can be reproduced without issue, but the art work is protected by the license holder. Some vacuum pieces are considered artwork themselves, like the Lizard Head in Grand Lizard.

#4506 2 years ago

Do any of the ramp makers have the main POTO ramp on their list to remake? Other than the red color, these seem pretty straight-forward and not very large?

#4507 2 years ago

Im in for a comet center ramp when there ready. Ill pm you

#4508 2 years ago

Really hoping that someone out there has the mold for the elevator ramp on Who Dunnit and is willing to share it with the community to make these desperately needed ramps.

Which one of you jokers is hiding that mold in your basement?!
Such a mystery.
Hahahaha.

#4509 2 years ago

I should probably keep my mouth shut but, I have the tools. No time soon.

#4510 2 years ago

Looking forward to the demo man ramps been looking for such a long time

#4511 2 years ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

I should probably keep my mouth shut but, I have the tools. No time soon.

Totally understand not having the time to work on these anytime soon.
It's at least good to know that the molds/tools are around (not M.I.A.) and this ramp could one day be reproduced!

#4512 2 years ago

dang - that's making me wish I had held onto my Comet. Excellent work!

FYI - should you need access to the ramps for Johnny Mnemonic, I'm just 10ish minutes up the street from you. Not sure what you need to do to scan/capture the ramp geometry, but I could lend mine if you're in need.

ATB - R

#4513 2 years ago
Quoted from Broomstick:

Looking forward to the demo man ramps been looking for such a long time

Years amigo. Over a decade easily.

#4514 2 years ago

I heard Dredd might be on the list. Just touching base with a +1. Thanks.

#4515 2 years ago

Hi Mark
i'm on your list for the Comet center ramp, please also add me to the list for the Radical ramp set please.
cheers
Trevor

#4516 2 years ago

Interested in left monopoly ramp please!

#4517 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Honestly, probably less work but I'd bet still some would be needed. I don't have a Comet to actually do the install so will be interested in someone who has confidence doing the install and making the necessary modifications to the playfield and be willing to share the experience.

I'd bet that some wood will still have to be removed, hardtop or not.

It was the same process a decade ago when the heavy duty space shuttle ramps came out:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-repo-ramp-modification-guide

#4518 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd bet that some wood will still have to be removed, hardtop or not.
It was the same process a decade ago when the heavy duty space shuttle ramps came out:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-repo-ramp-modification-guide

Thanks for posting that Vid... The playfield cutout on Comet is the same as the one on Space Shuttle. I also agree that in addition to the depth being greater, the back of the cutout will also need to be extended maybe 3/16" - 1/4".

#4519 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Thanks for posting that Vid... The playfield cutout on Comet is the same as the one on Space Shuttle. I also agree that in addition to the depth being greater, the back of the cutout will also need to be extended maybe 3/16" - 1/4".

If one crosses my path I'll of course document how much material had to be removed.

Don't let it scare you guys, it's not hard to do at all.

#4520 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If one crosses my path I'll of course document how much material had to be removed.
Don't let it scare you guys, it's not hard to do at all.

I'm wondering how to do it best? What's the right tool(s) for the job? I know you could chisel it out by hand likely, but there must be a better/easier, less risk for messing up way to do it. Any first hand experiences out there to try? OR anything to avoid?

#4521 2 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

I'm wondering how to do it best? What's the right tool(s) for the job? I know you could chisel it out by hand likely, but there must be a better/easier, less risk for messing up way to do it. Any first hand experiences out there to try? OR anything to avoid?

I use a trim router.

#4522 2 years ago

I’ll just put this out the mail

Replacement Gilligan’s Island ramp
Be amazing !!

#4523 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Been a while since I shot a photo of a ramp on the hot tub, but with the gorgeous sun out today....why not.
First test pull of the Comet Center ramp. Came out beautiful! This ramp will be hand finished then I will arrange for a test fit at my friend's shop.
[quoted image]

That plastic that covers the dummy target is missing the entire right side that butts up against the comet ramp. I am thinking the repo ramp wont fit in a good plastic due to the width without hogging out the plastic. don't wanna do that to a brand new cpr plastic tho.

#4524 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

New Comet Center ramp #1.

You should auction off the most coveted pinball ramp in history.

#1 Signed Edition

#4525 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You should auction off the most coveted pinball ramp in history.
#1 Signed Edition

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors ramp!

#4526 2 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors ramp!

Could give the auction money to that cool fund that pays for Veteran's funerals from Covid.....

#4527 2 years ago
Quoted from Kixslash:

That plastic that covers the dummy target is missing the entire right side that butts up against the comet ramp. I am thinking the repo ramp wont fit in a good plastic due to the width without hogging out the plastic. don't wanna do that to a brand new cpr plastic tho.

Can you elaborate or send a photos???

#4528 2 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

I totally agree with Vid. I have several trim routers I use for finishing these ramps and a trim router is exactly what I would use....Basically, infinitely adjustable to get the depth just right. If you do not have a trim router you can razor the edges of the recess and then use a very sharp chisel to shave material away. If you go too far, you could use Bondo to smooth it.

#4529 2 years ago

The plastic is super thin, and breaks if you even breathe on it.

$_12.JPG_5b890539d882f8.66010602 (resized).jpg$_12.JPG_5b890539d882f8.66010602 (resized).jpg
#4530 2 years ago

You will use a trim router endlessly in pinball and guitar repair.

There are no more 25% off coupons at HF, so you really have to spend $29.

Lousy US tariffs on Chinese goods - sucks!

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-24-amp-trim-router-62659.html
62659_I (resized).jpg62659_I (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#4531 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The plastic is super thin, and breaks if you even breathe on it.[quoted image]

If there is a market for the ramp, maybe there is a market for a thicker, more robust ramp plastic as well?

#4532 2 years ago

That would be up to Planetary Pinball.

#4533 2 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

If there is a market for the ramp, maybe there is a market for a thicker, more robust ramp plastic as well?

You can use plastic protectors as well... just a clear plastic that is usually slightly larger than the real plastic. No idea if anyone makes a set for Comet but pretty easy to make your own.

Also don’t breathe on your plastics like vid does.

1 week later
#4534 2 years ago

Comet Center Ramp Update...

Well, I've had quite a few frustrations getting this ramp produced. In addition to getting myself "acquainted" to how the new machine works, I suffered some major setbacks with the molds for this this ramp. Generally I use a ceramic for my mold material, which takes up to two weeks to cure each time you pour one. First attempts to mold the ramps went OK, but after just a few formings, the new machine destroyed the molds four times...basically snapped them. So I had to regroup and use another mold material backed with 3/16" aluminum plate bases. Been working on these for a while and just yesterday finished last night about 7:30 the final tweaking on the molds as well as how they fit onto the new machine. Was going to call it a day, but decided to fire up the machine to at least do a test pull. Went perfectly, so kept on forming and produced 24 perfect formings before retiring for the evening.

So appears I am back on track now to get these moving. Will spend the next couple days perfecting the machining/finishing of these ramps and will then start shipping.

#4535 2 years ago

Sounds awesome...Thanks for all your hard work Mark

#4536 2 years ago

Wow sounds like a pain, but 24 more of these unobtainium ramps exist... that’s exciting!

1 week later
#4537 2 years ago

Update on the Comet Center ramp. I began shipping the first ramps yesterday and will be working my way through the list. Moving a bit slowly right now due to significant back pain, but appears to be on the mend. Will be forming the bulk this coming week.

IMG_1739 (resized).JPGIMG_1739 (resized).JPG
#4538 2 years ago

Baywatch ramps would be amazing. I would buy a set just to have on hand, my current ramps are showing their age. I couldn't click "Add to cart" quick enough.

#4539 2 years ago

Got my new ramp installed. Looks and plays great.

B1F3D799-A39F-430E-AA63-B69C51574178 (resized).jpegB1F3D799-A39F-430E-AA63-B69C51574178 (resized).jpegF18E18DC-B904-4C27-9A2B-BE6923BB404B (resized).jpegF18E18DC-B904-4C27-9A2B-BE6923BB404B (resized).jpeg
#4540 2 years ago
Quoted from Dvan77:

Got my new ramp installed. Looks and plays great.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Can't wait until I get mine.

I see that you didn't reinstall the metal part at the beginning of the ramp. Was that on purpose? (Looks better that way as you can see the entire COMET ramp sticker that way)

#4541 2 years ago

It’s thicker and sturdier than the original.

#4542 2 years ago

Was a replacement ramp and whirlpool made for Surf n' Safari? I haven't checked on the thread in over a year.

#4543 2 years ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

Was a replacement ramp and whirlpool made for Surf n' Safari? I haven't checked on the thread in over a year.

I don't think any of us have Surf n' Safari on our radar. Not sure what kind of plastic was used for it either.....May not be available. Guessing any reproduction would be different....maybe a transparent color or clear. Given it is a Gottlieb, Starship most likely would not be interested in doing it. JodyG has probably the greatest love for Gottlieb's but again any reproduction would likely differ significantly from the original....at least on the yellow ramp.

#4544 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I don't think any of us have Surf n' Safari on our radar. Not sure what kind of plastic was used for it either.....May not be available. Guessing any reproduction would be different....maybe a transparent color or clear. Given it is a Gottlieb, Starship most likely would not be interested in doing it. JodyG has probably the greatest love for Gottlieb's but again any reproduction would likely differ significantly from the original....at least on the yellow ramp.

I see. I can understand there not being much demand for it, since there were only 2,004 machines produced. Is there a way I could maybe reinforce the plastic ramp and whirlpool you think with like a resin or something? They are intact, but there are various cracks at certain spots that have been taped.

#4545 2 years ago

The link below is to a plastic cement I use on ramps. It has the consistency of thick maple syrup. It sets up very fast....like so fast you need to put the cap back on the tube immediately. This a cement that is primarily for acrylic, but also works on many other plastics...it's what they glue aquariums together with. While it is good to actually get some of this stuff into the actual crack, I usually just lay a bead over the crack. It's really handy for reinforcing those lower edge entrance cracks. Sets up in just a couple minutes and fully cures in 24 hours. Dries clear.

https://www.amazon.com/SCIGRIP-10315-Acrylic-Cement-Low-VOC/dp/B003HNFLMY/ref=sr_1_2

You can also find it as some hardware and hobby stores. I get mine locally at a retail plastic seller.

#4546 2 years ago

Got my Comet center ramp. It's awesome! It's crystal clear. I know that sounds stupid but I had a NOS ramp and it wasn't as clear. The extra thickness is great, can't wait to install it. I've waited 25 years for a better center ramp! Thanks Mark.

#4547 2 years ago

Now that I'm in the market, if you're up to doing rollergames still, could use a set as well. Both the main ramp as well as the ball lock cover.

Too bad they aren't able to ship to the USA, because Pinball Center in Europe is making a decal set for the ramps.

#4548 2 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Now that I'm in the market, if you're up to doing rollergames still, could use a set as well. Both the main ramp as well as the ball lock cover.
Too bad they aren't able to ship to the USA, because Pinball Center in Europe is making a decal set for the ramps.

Get on user Zitt ’s list for his next group purchase. Looks like you just missed his most recent order. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballcenter-parts-needed/page/3#post-6326228

#4549 2 years ago

Seeing that center ramp installed has got me extra excited. Comet is the last machine on my row that needs work and it's pretty much all down to popping in the new ramp.

#4550 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Get on user Zitt ’s list for his next group purchase. Looks like you just missed his most recent order. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballcenter-parts-needed/page/3#post-6326228

I'm a bit over-budget at the moment for pinball expenses. So I'll have to wait a bit probably.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/91?hl=hydrogenhuman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.