IMG_7483.gif
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 103.
#4451 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Yes, I have a list and you are now on it!

EC91BBE8-F095-4EB6-BC11-0D4EA000C6F9.gifEC91BBE8-F095-4EB6-BC11-0D4EA000C6F9.gif
#4452 3 years ago

Would you happen to have a ramp for swords of fury, and a ramp for f14 colored for both.
Thanks

#4453 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I've got my hands very full

You know we appreciate it al though so it’s ok!

#4454 3 years ago

Comet center ramp update....

The molds are poured and are now curing which basically starts the clock on production. While I will do some finishing work on them as they cure, I do not expect them to be ready for actual ramp production until probably around the 10th to 12th of this month. Due to the geometry of this ramp, I will actually form them two at a time.....it's a yin/yang thing.

The donor ramp I was given was actually a very nice example with the only apparent damage being at the drop hole and that was just a crack in the end wall. This is very typical on ramps with drop holes that were originally formed on female molds as the heated plastic thins when pulled down into the ramp mold...in the case of Comet, it has thinned to less than 1/16". I've posted the photo below before of one of the Transporter ramps with this same type of thinning and how reverse molding to a male mold significantly increases the thickness of the formed plastic at the drop hole. Reverse forming will also strengthen the entrance at the bottom as well.

The original ramp has rolled over upper edges which are also the result of female forming. I expect my top edges to be either flat or just slightly curved over (Also shown in the attached Transporter ramp photos). It is difficult to uniformly get significantly rolled over edges like the original when forming on a male mold.

In addition to reverse forming this ramp for greater strength at the bottom of the ramp, I will also be increasing the thickness of the plastic by about 50%. This will result in the thickness of the entrance being quite a bit thicker than the original so I expect I will form two test ramps and then go back to my friend who has the game to test fit it. I do not want to sacrifice any of this greater thickness, so I expect worse case scenario would be that where the ramp fits down into the playfield might need to be increased in depth, probably <= 1/16...but in the end worth it for the greater strength.
IMG_1569 (resized).JPGIMG_1569 (resized).JPG

#4455 3 years ago

So you saying I should hang around Washington for an extra week??? Wish I could, having a great time!

#4456 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

So you saying I should hang around Washington for an extra week??? Wish I could, having a great time!

Weekday weather is just getting nice!...The weekend weather takes a little longer in Washington!

#4457 3 years ago
Quoted from Godpinzilla:

Would you happen to have a ramp for swords of fury, and a ramp for f14 colored for both.
Thanks

Sorry for the slow reply....sending PM now....

#4458 3 years ago

I cold my Comet last Fall - dang this is great news for Comet owners with a busted up center ramp!!

o, and hello 'neighbor'!

ATB - R

#4459 3 years ago

Hey did you have me on the list for the full Demo Man ramp set. How’s the postage to Australia?

#4460 3 years ago
Quoted from Chuckie089:

Hey did you have me on the list for the full Demo Man ramp set. How’s the postage to Australia?

Yes you are on the list. Don't know how much the postage will be until I actually have the ramps. Whenever I can I try to ship in boxes no larger than 18" x 12" x 6" so I can ship First Class. Sometimes it's cheaper to ship in two smaller packages vs one larger package.

#4461 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Yes you are on the list. Don't know how much the postage will be until I actually have the ramps. Whenever I can I try to ship in boxes no larger than 18" x 12" x 6" so I can ship First Class. Sometimes it's cheaper to ship in two smaller packages vs one larger package.

Perhaps a group buy/shipment for Aussie Demo Man ramps might be a worth while. I'd be happy to co-ordinate/distribute once here in Australia. Please let me know if I can help once you are in production on these.

#4462 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Perhaps a group buy/shipment for Aussie Demo Man ramps might be a worth while. I'd be happy to co-ordinate/distribute once here in Australia. Please let me know if I can help once you are in production on these.

I'm in for a group ship! In Victoria as well so could even come pick up if you are ok with that?

#4463 3 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

I'm in for a group ship! In Victoria as well so could even come pick up if you are ok with that?

Great, I'm sure we could work something out when the time comes. Hopefully other Aussie's will be interest too.

#4464 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Great, I'm sure we could work something out when the time comes. Hopefully other Aussie's will be interest too.

Yeah I’ll be interested. I’m in WA

1 week later
#4465 3 years ago

I am reckoning that demolition man is next after comet.

#4466 3 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I am reckoning that demolition man is next after comet.

Yes... The molds are nearly ready for Comet, then I will likely make both the Demo Man and Radical ramp molds at the same time.

#4467 3 years ago

I can only beg for a Indianapolis 500 left ramp - they are always damaged...
Anyways, nice work with the ramps.

#4468 3 years ago
Quoted from Pindrew:

I can only beg for a Indianapolis 500 left ramp - they are always damaged...
Anyways, nice work with the ramps.

You're in luck, no need to beg any more...should be available in May.

20210410_162143 (resized).jpg20210410_162143 (resized).jpg
#4469 3 years ago

That is beyond awesome

#4470 3 years ago

Freeplay40
lrosent345
Guys, any chance for Corvette ramps? Race track ramp and Skid Pad ramps are not available.
With decals would be good, but clear ramp would be also a huge help.

17aa5c1d1171deb4d7fd60ac35918124246d556f (resized).jpg17aa5c1d1171deb4d7fd60ac35918124246d556f (resized).jpg2b15d1932bb600ec3185fa856814164ed280958f (resized).jpg2b15d1932bb600ec3185fa856814164ed280958f (resized).jpg
#4471 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Freeplay40
lrosent345
Guys, any chance for Corvette ramps? Race track ramp and Skid Pad ramps are not available.
With decals would be good, but clear ramp would be also a huge help.[quoted image][quoted image]

Larry... Do you happen to have molds for those?

#4472 3 years ago

I do and planning to run them next.

#4473 3 years ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

Ah!.... Good news!

Thanks Larry.

#4474 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Larry... Do you happen to have molds for those?

Quoted from lrosent345:

Thank you!

#4475 3 years ago

I love seeing the 3 ramp makers working together. Good job guys!!

#4476 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I love seeing the 3 ramp makers working together. Good job guys!!

With so many needed, the last thing we need is duplication of effort!

#4477 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:Perhaps a group buy/shipment for Aussie Demo Man ramps might be a worth while. I'd be happy to co-ordinate/distribute once here in Australia. Please let me know if I can help once you are in production on these.

Quoted from Pinballer73:

Hi, I am very interested in a set of Demolition Man ramps too, I'm in Brisbane. How can this be organised?
Cheers
Ray

#4478 3 years ago

Monopoly ramps would be nice.

#4479 3 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swords-of-fury-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/28#post-6227737

Hey Mark - Just wanted to follow through for other SOF owners...are you going narrow on the center ramp shoulder, or is Cliff going wide on the clip protector- he was asking...

Matt

#4480 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swords-of-fury-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/28#post-6227737
Hey Mark - Just wanted to follow through for other SOF owners...are you going narrow on the center ramp shoulder, or is Cliff going wide on the clip protector- he was asking...
Matt

As I replied to your email, they will be narrowed going forward.

#4481 3 years ago

Been a while since I shot a photo of a ramp on the hot tub, but with the gorgeous sun out today....why not.

First test pull of the Comet Center ramp. Came out beautiful! This ramp will be hand finished then I will arrange for a test fit at my friend's shop.

IMG_1725 (resized).JPGIMG_1725 (resized).JPG
#4482 3 years ago

Nice !

#4483 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Been a while since I shot a photo of a ramp on the hot tub, but with the gorgeous sun out today....why not.
First test pull of the Comet Center ramp. Came out beautiful! This ramp will be hand finished then I will arrange for a test fit at my friend's shop.
[quoted image]

64FB840F-83AC-4302-A572-B7241A481843.gif64FB840F-83AC-4302-A572-B7241A481843.gif

#4484 3 years ago

Well done Mark I'm so excited!!!

#4485 3 years ago

Those look badass.

#4486 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

First test pull of the Comet Center ramp. Came out beautiful!

I couldn't be more excited for this!

#4487 3 years ago

New Comet Center ramp #1.

I've finished the first test Center ramp and am awaiting contact with the donor so I can test fit.

Differences from the original....

*Ramp was reverse formed to address the thin plastic at the bottom of the ramp, most notably at the entrance and the exit drop hole.
*Plastic upgraded to .150"...Resulted in approximately a 35% increase in the weight of the ramp.

*See attached photos showing the effect of reverse forming has on the thickness at the bottom of the ramp on both the entrance and Drop hole.

*Original ramp has rolled over edges on the top of the ramp....basically a result of original female molding which also simplifies the "cut-out" from the form. You can see on many female molded ramps the rough saw cuts left behind. New ramp has smooth flat top edges.

While the increased thickness nicely addresses the inherent thinning at the drop hole, it also increases the thickness at the entrance which may result in the ramp entrance raised to the point where it will affect ball travel into the ramp. I could sand the bottom of the entrance down, but why sacrifice the increase thickness/durability? I will know for sure if this is an issue as soon as I can test fit the ramp in the game. If the ramp entrance is higher (honestly I expect it will be), upon installation, where the entrance meets the playfield, the "recess" in the playfield may need to be shaved slightly deeper to insure a smooth transition. Small price to pay for the added thickness.

Center Drop hole new (resized).JPGCenter Drop hole new (resized).JPGCenter Drop hole original (resized).JPGCenter Drop hole original (resized).JPGComet Center (resized).JPGComet Center (resized).JPGComet entrance new (resized).JPGComet entrance new (resized).JPGComet entrance original (resized).JPGComet entrance original (resized).JPGNew Center bottom (resized).JPGNew Center bottom (resized).JPG

#4488 3 years ago

That won’t be a problem , easy fix for something that will last . I like it!

#4489 3 years ago

If you grinded down the bottom so it sits more flush, with a dremel. It will become thinner but will not the metal piece protect it from direct hits?

#4490 3 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

If you grinded down the bottom so it sits more flush, with a dremel. It will become thinner but will not the metal piece protect it from direct hits?

Well, I would not go that route. You're talking about sanding down the underside of the ramp to a consistent approximate 1/16" which at the back edge would transition to the thicker plastic, but at the edges of the part where the hold down screws are you will have lost the additional strength at the lower edges which again with a female molded ramp are typical failure points. I have the entrance metal protector for this donor ramp that was loaned to me and the leading edge of that protector is pretty hammered which indicates it is or was very close to the playfield level or even slightly above it. If I was to install, I would want that leading edge of the protector to be at or very slightly below the playfield level.

Too bad there is text on the playfield right in front of the ramp....I think a traditional flap might provide a smoother entry.

#4491 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Well, I would not go that route. You're talking about sanding down the underside of the ramp to a consistent approximate 1/16" which at the back edge would transition to the thicker plastic, but at the edges of the part where the hold down screws are you will have lost the additional strength at the lower edges which again with a female molded ramp are typical failure points. I have the entrance metal protector for this donor ramp that was loaned to me and the leading edge of that protector is pretty hammered which indicates it is or was very close to the playfield level or even slightly above it. If I was to install, I would want that leading edge of the protector to be at or very slightly below the playfield level.
Too bad there is text on the playfield right in front of the ramp....I think a traditional flap might provide a smoother entry.

My bad. I assumed those ramp were installed with "flaps" . Yea. I see now that removing materiel from the plywood is what is needed.

#4492 3 years ago

Looking really great Mark

#4493 3 years ago

I can’t wait to place my old warped, burned out Comet ramp in my driveway and run over it repeatedly with my truck.

#4494 3 years ago

Just went and test fit the Comet Center ramp. Basically the fit was perfect and as expected the thickness of the bottom of the ramp will necessitate some minor work to deepen the recess under the ramp entrance. I have a little work to do to prepare both molds for forming so expect to begin the actual forming of the center ramps ramps by Sunday or Monday. After I've formed a bunch it will take me a couple days to set up the machining and then it will just be head down until I get everyone covered.

On another note, while at the donor's house for the Comet Center ramp, I also picked up the remaining pieces for Demo man....the car tunnel, the subway and the Cryo-Claw.

IMG_1734 (resized).JPGIMG_1734 (resized).JPG
#4495 3 years ago

Awesome!!! Wonder if the hardtop machines won't need any playfield work done.

#4496 3 years ago

That's great news for Comet owners. Even better news for us Demo Man owners!

#4497 3 years ago

love it well done Mark

#4498 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Awesome!!! Wonder if the hardtop machines won't need any playfield work done.

Honestly, probably less work but I'd bet still some would be needed. I don't have a Comet to actually do the install so will be interested in someone who has confidence doing the install and making the necessary modifications to the playfield and be willing to share the experience.

#4499 3 years ago

I would be willing to give it a look and see what all would be involved. . . I don’t think it would be that hard to do . . .

#4500 3 years ago

I have a hardtopped Comet that is still being assembled. I'm on your ramp list and would be happy to document and test installation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
West Palm Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/90?hl=nascarrey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.