IMG_7483.gif
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 103.
#401 7 years ago

$200 for the time machine ramp ok by me. Yes cheaper would be nice but you have a business to pay for equipment,parts and yourself. Would a single ramp with a add in divider be possible or two separate ramps? Yes I'm sure everybody would like a stock factory look but if that's the only way possible i can live with it. I have seen some of these ramps that have been trashed out due to game play so anything would be an improvement. Sadly like many games heavily dependent on ramps with out them the machines are not playable and end up parts boxes.

#402 7 years ago

Got my red F-14 ramp in the mail. It looks awesome.
Thanks for making these unobtainable parts.

#403 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

On another note, since I'll be pondering the Star Warp ramp, I'd like to do the Strange Science Anti-Gravity ramps. I posted something locally for a donor but got no takers.....So looking for a set or ramps to be loaned so that I can make molds. Originals along with a free set of new ones to the donor... I need a fairly intact set to make molds from so that I can be sure of all the proper mounting. Let me know if interested.

Mine has the typical damage or I'd be pulling it for you today.

#404 7 years ago

I am more than happy to pay $200 for DETM ramps!

#405 7 years ago

No wonder all the star warp ramps are all broken. I wouldn't have hurt feelings with a redesign. And $200 wouldn't stop me from ordering.

#406 7 years ago

Something new I made for a friend locally...

CP_Punch_ramps_(resized).JPGCP_Punch_ramps_(resized).JPG

#407 7 years ago

I would pay $500 for an NOS or NEW Gottlieb Excalibur ramp! Hint, hint....................

#408 7 years ago
Quoted from swanng:

I would pay $500 for an NOS or NEW Gottlieb Excalibur ramp! Hint, hint....................

Duly noted. A little too big for my current machine but will keep in mind when I get the new machine running.

#409 7 years ago

200 for a piece of plastic for time machine ramp.... well... so be it.

#410 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Something new I made for a friend locally...

Hey Mark is that the green dye you were waiting for? From the picture it looks close for BF.

#411 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Mark is that the green dye you were waiting for? From the picture it looks close for BF.

Sorry Paul.... That is an underside painted piece. I may display some dyed ones just for fun. The dye I'm waiting for won't be here until mid next week.

#412 7 years ago

Had a request for the Data East Star Trek 25 subway ramp. However, he does not have a donor ramp. Anyone else interested in this that has a ramp to loan?

#413 7 years ago
Quoted from cp1610:

$200 for the time machine ramp ok by me

Same here.

#414 7 years ago

I'll send you the trek subway along with the GnR ramps this week.

#415 7 years ago

Thank you scottmaggie.

#416 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Sorry Paul.... That is an underside painted piece. I may display some dyed ones just for fun. The dye I'm waiting for won't be here until mid next week.

I see.

#417 7 years ago

We have quite a few machine shops around here. Is it possible to have one make an aluminum mold? What about using wood?

#418 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

We have quite a few machine shops around here. Is it possible to have one make an aluminum mold? What about using wood?

Having a mold made of aluminum is simply cost prohibitive. Given the complexity, I would expect a mold like that to cost several thousand. If someone wants to have the mold made I would be more than happy to form them. As far as wood, just imagine something like a wooden ruler bent around the radius of that thing. In order for a molded ramp to be released from a mold there must be at least something like a 5 to 7 degree angle. The trouble with this one is that there is a substantial amount of these very thin areas which in total compounds the release and would put a lot of stress on whatever material other than polished metal. I doubt that the mold would survive one forming if those were made of wood.

I'm not giving up on this yet, but expect that if I could make a mold it would be a bit of a hybrid and involve shaped metal possibly combined with spreading out the ramp a little.

My biggest concern is that I end up spending months on this only to fail.

#419 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

On another note, since I'll be pondering the Star Warp ramp, I'd like to do the Strange Science Anti-Gravity ramps. I posted something locally for a donor but got no takers.....So looking for a set or ramps to be loaned so that I can make molds. Originals along with a free set of new ones to the donor... I need a fairly intact set to make molds from so that I can be sure of all the proper mounting. Let me know if interested.

I have a decent set on my game you could use, however, I think the blue lower is cracked at the bottom, I don't know if I have ever seen one that is intact.. ha.. if you want me to shoot a pic first just let me know..

#420 7 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

I have a decent set on my game you could use, however, I think the blue lower is cracked at the bottom, I don't know if I have ever seen one that is intact.. ha.. if you want me to shoot a pic first just let me know..

Thanks! You can be my back up. Another Pinsider has a spare fully populated playfield that he is checking out this weekend.

#421 7 years ago

I'm in for $200 for a DE Time Machine Ramp for sure! Hell, I'll prepay now.

#422 7 years ago

Hey Freeplay40,

I am good friends with the owners of a local machine shop. Not quite good enough to ask them to throw me this as a freebie but definitely good enough friends where I have access to use all of their tools and they will help me do stuff. I'm not sure what would be involved with milling the entire mold but would it be sufficient if we just milled that one divider out of aluminum? You also mentioned that you use bondo a lot.. would fiberglass be a possibility? I'm willing to step in an help get this done as I can.

#423 7 years ago
Quoted from MDK:

I'm not sure what would be involved with milling the entire mold but would it be sufficient if we just milled that one divider out of aluminum?

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but really an aluminum tool should only be made for making thousands of ramps, not dozens or even hundreds. You have to realize that even if you had full access to a CNC milling machine, someone would have to provide the 3d data. The most likely path (to ensure you got it right the first time and didn't waste a $500 chunk of aluminum billet) would be to make a positive mold from the original in say plaster, then spend money on scanning that geometry (with software like Autocad 123d this is getting more affordable than say a laser scanner or stylus CMM). Then after that geometry is captured, you still need to clean it up (many more hours) in order to create toolpaths. THEN, after you actually mill said tool, someone would have to spend hours meticulously polishing all the cutter marks from the tool.

I believe the 2 ramps made for JPOP's magic girl were about $2k, and that was with favors, and actually having the original solidworks CAD data. Amortize that over even 50 ramps, it still adds $40 to the price of each ramp (assuming all the initial work is free).

#424 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Almost any ramp will be possible once the new machine is up. Have been several requests for this one. Is that ramp all one piece?

The TMNT ramp(s) is all one piece. I would love to see this made, my TMNT ramp is cracked at the entrance. I also have a feeling it is warped because of the weird way balls are rejected from it despite a good shot.

#425 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but really an aluminum tool should only be made for making thousands of ramps, not dozens or even hundreds. You have to realize that even if you had full access to a CNC milling machine, someone would have to provide the 3d data. The most likely path (to ensure you got it right the first time and didn't waste a $500 chunk of aluminum billet) would be to make a positive mold from the original in say plaster, then spend money on scanning that geometry (with software like Autocad 123d this is getting more affordable than say a laser scanner or stylus CMM). Then after that geometry is captured, you still need to clean it up (many more hours) in order to create toolpaths. THEN, after you actually mill said tool, someone would have to spend hours meticulously polishing all the cutter marks from the tool.
I believe the 2 ramps made for JPOP's magic girl were about $2k, and that was with favors, and actually having the original solidworks CAD data. Amortize that over even 50 ramps, it still adds $40 to the price of each ramp (assuming all the initial work is free).

Well said!

#426 7 years ago

What I believe is that every Data East Time Machine owner will offer up $200 per ramp if made. That is how badly we need them

#427 7 years ago

Has anybody thought about contacting Stern to see if they could help with offering info on DETM ramps? That would be pretty cool if they just had a mold lying around.

#428 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Has anybody thought about contacting Stern to see if they could help with offering info on DETM ramps? That would be pretty cool if they just had a mold lying around

If stern still had old molds from data east days, you would think they would get into that business. They've already cut a piece of the mod cake market.

#429 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

If stern still had old molds from data east days, you would think they would get into that business. They've already cut a piece of the mod cake market.

Yes but they want to sell NEW games not keep old ones going. Keeping old ones going makes buying new ones not very attractive. $200 for a new ramp for an old game or $5-9 thousand for a new game.

#430 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yes but they want to sell NEW games not keep old ones going. Keeping old ones going makes buying new ones not very attractive. $200 for a new ramp for an old game or $5-9 thousand for a new game.

Exactly. NASCAR is less than 10 years old. Stern isn't producing ramp replacements. I understand this is not as popular as some games out there but Stern isn't even supplying companies like Marco with replacement ramps.

#431 7 years ago

Hey Marc,
I could use a center Dr Dude ramp, looks like an easy one.

IMAG2940_(resized).jpgIMAG2940_(resized).jpg

IMAG2942_(resized).jpgIMAG2942_(resized).jpg

#432 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Hey Marc,
I could use a center Dr Dude ramp, looks like an easy one.

Looks like it is too long for the current set up. Will have to wait until I finish the new machine.

#433 7 years ago

Scientific testing of colored PETG.... This is the UV test.....Basically through it out in the yard!

IMG_1160_(resized).JPGIMG_1160_(resized).JPG

#434 7 years ago

Make sure when you post the results you are wearing your scientific looking lab coat so its official....

#435 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

.Basically through it out in the yard!

Humm...Black Hurricane ramp...You would have to leave it out there a year to get fade.

#436 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Humm...Black Hurricane ramp...You would have to leave it out there a year to get fade.

That's actually the first green I tested that I let go very dense just to see what depth of color was achievable.

#437 7 years ago

How's this look Paul? Actually no stock green comes close to what we want. This is a mix of two colors. I dyed a piece of a Genesis right ramp for CaptainNeo.

IMG_1161_(resized).JPGIMG_1161_(resized).JPG

#438 7 years ago

Here's another shot with an acrylic blue just for comparison.

IMG_1163_(resized).JPGIMG_1163_(resized).JPG

#439 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but really an aluminum tool should only be made for making thousands of ramps, not dozens or even hundreds.

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel

Polished Bronze is the cheapest availablePolished Bronze is the cheapest available

#440 7 years ago

that's fine, I've actually bought many metal objects from shapeways, all SMALL objects. A gas cap in stainless cost me $150 but for argument sake let's go ahead and model a simple 12" straight shot ramp (positive) with minimal material.

Solid = 490 cm^3, or $2450
Shelled (1/8) = $645

I can't imagine what the cost of a simple and reasonable ramp would cost.

simple_12_inch_ramp_mold_(resized).jpgsimple_12_inch_ramp_mold_(resized).jpg

#441 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

How's this look Paul? Actually no stock green comes close to what we want. This is a mix of two colors. I dyed a piece of a Genesis right ramp for CaptainNeo.

Well it "looks" good but you'd have to compare it side by side with an original. Thanks for doing that.

#442 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

that's fine, I've actually bought many metal objects from shapeways, all SMALL objects. A gas cap in stainless cost me $150 but for argument sake let's go ahead and model a simple 12" straight shot ramp (positive) with minimal material.
Solid = 490 cm^3, or $2450
Shelled (1/8) = $645
I can't imagine what the cost of a simple and reasonable ramp would cost.

#443 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

that's fine, I've actually bought many metal objects from shapeways, all SMALL objects.

Yes, the small object in question is the part of the mould he needs that needs to be metal. The rest of the ramp could be wood and body filler.

Not the whole ramp.

#444 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yes, the small object in question is the part of the mould he needs that needs to be metal. The rest of the ramp could be wood and body filler.
Not the whole ramp.

If some sort of hybrid mold could be made the, metal pieces needed to stand up to the process would still need to be reverse engineered from the mold which is not something I am capable of nor interested in doing for what will probably be a short to modest production run.

At this point what I see is the only avenue to get this done would involve a bit of redesigning. Instead of forming this as one single ramp in a female mold (note female molds are done with an upright mold and the plastic is pulled down into the mold and thins and thus weakens as it goes down) what I see is to cut the ramp into two separate ramps...an inner and outer ramp that fit nicely together. Doing it this way I could very likely form these as male molds. Male molds yield the thickest plastic at the bottom of the ramp, generally where it is needed. Separate ramps would also allow the installation of sidewall protectors on both sides of each entrance lane where they are now only on the outside of each lane.

I also see a potential redesign of the inner ramp to end in more of a vortex (Like the WH20 Whirlpool ramp).

I'm not saying this is the only way it could be done, but having studied this ramps many times, I think it is safe to say that I would not reproduce it exactly like it is.

One other note, pertaining to the orange piece that is glued onto the bottom of the ramp. That was most likely installed to add strength to that area which has the thinnest plastic. Forming it in an inverted male mold would yield the thickest plastic at the bottom.

#445 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

If some sort of hybrid mold could be made the, metal pieces needed to stand up to the process would still need to be reverse engineered from the mold which is not something I am capable of nor interested in doing for what will probably be a short to modest production run.
At this point what I see is the only avenue to get this done would involve a bit of redesigning. Instead of forming this as one single ramp in a female mold (note female molds are done with an upright mold and the plastic is pulled down into the mold and thins and thus weakens as it goes down) what I see is to cut the ramp into two separate ramps...an inner and outer ramp that fit nicely together. Doing it this way I could very likely form these as male molds. Male molds yield the thickest plastic at the bottom of the ramp, generally where it is needed. Separate ramps would also allow the installation of sidewall protectors on both sides of each entrance lane where they are now only on the outside of each lane.
I also see a potential redesign of the inner ramp to end in more of a vortex (Like the WH20 Whirlpool ramp).
I'm not saying this is the only way it could be done, but having studied this ramps many times, I think it is safe to say that I would not reproduce it exactly like it is.
One other note, pertaining to the orange piece that is glued onto the bottom of the ramp. That was most likely installed to add strength to that area which has the thinnest plastic. Forming it in an inverted male mold would yield the thickest plastic at the bottom.

That sounds like what they should have done from the factory. Would both ramps be supported well enough do you think?

#446 7 years ago

I am game for whatever you make as a solution!

#447 7 years ago

Your the only solution Mark, if the ramps aren't made the rest of the game is useless. Obwon....I mean Mark....Your our only hope!

#448 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Your the only solution Mark, if the ramps aren't made the rest of the game is useless. Obwon....I mean Mark....Your our only hope!

Because if it's left for me to do yes i'll do it but it would be a year or more from now when i have free time to custom brew. It will not be a vacuum formed ramp. lexan or similar like product and in numerous pieces. It will be my typical over built stuff or go balls out and use copper sheet and polish it to a mirror finish making it totally non stock but look good. I only home brew with materials i can use with hand tools since i have no access to a machine shop or the necessary machine shop skills to use such equipment. [now if some one would like to step up and teach me this stuff i'll be set.] As i'm writing this post just thought why not go stainless it's shiny has a grain to it to hide ball marks and its easy to bend curves. Only problem is going to have to use fairly thick stock just so it can be welded together by hand My guess there would very little interest if i go this route other then ooh look.

#449 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Scientific testing of colored PETG.... This is the UV test.....Basically through it out in the yard!

Hilarious!!! Nothing like real world testing.

#450 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Hey Mark, would you send that to me so I can compare it to my ramps, I'll pay shipping. Unless that is you have a ramp you can compare it to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 18.95
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.