IMG_7483.gif
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,098 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 102.
#3951 3 years ago
Quoted from whizz:

What kind of riveter do you use?I need a good one.

I use two methods to rivet. First, I built a press just like the one that PinRestore sells......

http://pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

...Harbor Freight arbor press and purchased the dies from Hanson Rivets. However, I do not use the lower (head) die as shown in the Pintrestore photo. Instead I have a 3/8" bolt threaded through the bottom piece that is drilled to accept the head die. I did this so that I could adjust the height of the lower die. Just makes a difference when fitting certain pieces into the press.

The other method I use....probably as much as the press...is the hand roll over die. On the PinRestore sight above, just scroll down two items and you will see it. While the press is nice and preferred, sometimes due to the position of the rivet, the press won't work.

The hand roll over die can really be used to do all your riveting...Just need to be able to very solidly support the rivet heat when using it.

Couple years ago I posted a video showing how I use the hand roll over die....First post on this page...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swords-of-fury-custom-ramps/page/8

#3952 3 years ago

Mark,Thanks for the info.You are the best.

#3953 3 years ago

Is the complete set of Radical ramps still in the queue? Thanks!

#3954 3 years ago
Quoted from SkaterVet:

Is the complete set of Radical ramps still in the queue? Thanks!

Yes, the other ramps are in the queue for the new heater.

#3955 3 years ago

Finally got a chance to shop out Space Station and add my new ramp. Thank you, Mark!!!

IMG_20200430_134013 (resized).jpgIMG_20200430_134013 (resized).jpg
#3956 3 years ago

Comet center ramp sold on Ebay for $300... PLEASE MAKE THESE... and not for $300...

#3957 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I use two methods to rivet. First, I built a press just like the one that PinRestore sells......
http://pinrestore.com/Riveting.html
...Harbor Freight arbor press and purchased the dies from Hanson Rivets. However, I do not use the lower (head) die as shown in the Pintrestore photo. Instead I have a 3/8" bolt threaded through the bottom piece that is drilled to accept the head die. I did this so that I could adjust the height of the lower die. Just makes a difference when fitting certain pieces into the press.
The other method I use....probably as much as the press...is the hand roll over die. On the PinRestore sight above, just scroll down two items and you will see it. While the press is nice and preferred, sometimes due to the position of the rivet, the press won't work.
The hand roll over die can really be used to do all your riveting...Just need to be able to very solidly support the rivet heat when using it.
Couple years ago I posted a video showing how I use the hand roll over die....First post on this page...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swords-of-fury-custom-ramps/page/8

I'm surprised you don't use the press made from a Pony Clamp. It has a very wide reach and I believe it's suitable for just about any rivet job. Best of all, it's way more portable than the arbor press.

#3958 3 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

Comet center ramp sold on Ebay for $300... PLEASE MAKE THESE... and not for $300...

I sold a NOS Comet center ramps on eBay for $249 last year

#3959 3 years ago

Got my Black Rose Ramps super fast Mark!!!
Thank You so much!!!!
Worth the wait. Not ganna lie. Be a few weeks before i get these in and figure out decals.

#3960 3 years ago

Good morning...……...I kinda stumbled onto this thread investigating the repair I am going to make to a ramp today. A ton of good info here.

I'm making a solvent glue repair to a cracked in half main ramp on a Judge Dredd.

I see Freeplay40 is in the ramp making arena. Black magic to me at this point in my knowledge set.

Some posts ago in this thread there was mention of maybe making JD ramps. Curious if this is still a possibility. This mention was a few months ago and a lot has changed in the world since then but I thought I'd post this message anyway and see if it goes anywhere.

#3961 3 years ago

Check with pinball spare parts in Australia. IPB was sitting on a ton of JD ramps and they bought out their inventory. That large ramp is a beast.

#3962 3 years ago

Pinball Spare Parts Australia has 4 of the Black Out ramp for $124.08 (Australian dollar). The current exchange rate to the US dollar is $1.00 AUS dollar equals $0.65 US dollars. So even with some spending shipping, that ramp cost in US dollars would be $80.65

As far as me doing anything for Judge Dredd....likely at some point in the not near future.

#3963 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Pinball Spare Parts Australia has 4 of the Black Out ramp for $124.08 (Australian dollar). The current exchange rate to the US dollar is $1.00 AUS dollar equals $0.65 US dollars. So even with some spending shipping, that ramp cost in US dollars would be $80.65
As far as me doing anything for Judge Dredd....likely at some point in the not near future.

Exchange rate pretty good for us right now. My Black Out ramp is the ONE ramp that actually looks decent on my machine. Might consider it anyway as these are the last of the last that I've even seen.

As far as your last sentence there, did you mean to say "likely at some point if not in the near future" ?

Because if so, I'm gonna say rad. I rarely use that word but this would be radical if you were considering it.

#3964 3 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

That large ramp is a beast.

And yes, that large ramp is a beast.

#3965 3 years ago

You could count me in on JD ramps as well sometime down the road. The main ramp is a monster of a ramp but that poor little exit part at the end by the right flipper was so poorly designed. I have neoprene washer on my end piece to give it a little flex also, seems to help with absorbing some of the impact.

#3966 3 years ago

I received my lift ramp for Pinbot late last week and I want to commend Freeplay40 for the quality. It's outstanding.

#3967 3 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

As far as your last sentence there, did you mean to say "likely at some point if not in the near future" ?

Well really the same either way...not anytime soon. This COVID-19 crap has prompted many to work on their machines and....order new ramps! Thought I'd feel a little lull so I could devote more time to the new machine but it's actually been very busy.

I vowed not to take on anymore new projects until I complete the new machine....then there are several I already want to do. As I get closer I will likely get started on some of the molds. Of course the Comet Center ramp will be first up and then I think I'm going to take a shot at the TMNT ramp. I'm anxious to try out a new mold material.

#3968 3 years ago

any chance you would ever do the joker ramp on the 1989 data east batman? my joker has a broken nose lol

#3969 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

This COVID-19 crap has prompted many to work on their machines and....order new ramps! Thought I'd feel a little lull so I could devote more time to the new machine but it's actually been very busy.

Good thing to be busy...……..as long as people pay the invoice when you are done!

#3970 3 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

any chance you would ever do the joker ramp on the 1989 data east batman? my joker has a broken nose lol

I used Mylar and epoxy to fix the Joker's Skee-Ball ramp.
Data East really did not want this part to last;
way to thin plastic was used.

#3971 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I used Mylar and epoxy to fix the Joker's Skee-Ball ramp.
Data East really did not want this part to last;
way to thin plastic was used.

ya mine is falling apart, the nose portion is broken and both sides of the entrance are gone. ive put larger rubbers at the entrances to both the ramps to try to stop the ball from hitting the ramps

#3972 3 years ago

Woo Hoo ! New Ramp for Black Rose!

Pop Quiz: Can you tell which is the better made ramp with better guides and which ramp is an example of Frankenstein's monster that I've lived with up to this point?

IMG_5145D (resized).jpgIMG_5145D (resized).jpgIMG_5146D (resized).jpgIMG_5146D (resized).jpg
#3973 3 years ago

Old decals, new ramp. Looks perfect!

IMG_5148D (resized).jpgIMG_5148D (resized).jpg
#3974 3 years ago

Fits like a dream!

IMG_5164 (resized).jpgIMG_5164 (resized).jpg
#3975 3 years ago

So....how do you dye a two color ramp? Very scientifically! Takes two plus days. I make them 6 at a time.

IMG_1647 (resized).JPGIMG_1647 (resized).JPG
#3976 3 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

I believe I have a brand new Joker ramp that I could lend for copying purposes.

#3977 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

It would be awhile before I could get to it. Any chance you could post a photo of it?

#3978 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

It would be awhile before I could get to it. Any chance you could post a photo of it?

That's a small ramp. I'll see where I put it.

#3979 3 years ago

Dont forget the demolition man ramps!!

#3980 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Dont forget the demolition man ramps!!

Definitely in the queue. I have the ramps here so may dig them out and get started on the molds.

#3981 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Definitely in the queue. I have the ramps here so may dig them out and get started on the molds.

JovialCheerfulAlabamamapturtle-max-1mb (resized).pngJovialCheerfulAlabamamapturtle-max-1mb (resized).png
#3982 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

would you be willing to sell it? do they reproduce the joker decals for that ramp? might be an issue if new ramps were made

#3983 3 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

would you be willing to sell it? do they reproduce the joker decals for that ramp? might be an issue if new ramps were made

Sorry, not for sale as mine has a broken nose also. I was waiting for decals before I switched it. Somebody in the Playfield overlay thread had said they were going to make them but it never happened.

20200509_161956 (resized).jpg20200509_161956 (resized).jpg20200509_162003 (resized).jpg20200509_162003 (resized).jpg
#3984 3 years ago

Interesting piece. Are the rings around the eyes and the mouth glued on? Suppose if I got around to making it, some soul out there would remove the decals and scan them. Lotta decals on that one.

#3985 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Interesting piece. Are the rings around the eyes and the mouth glued on? Suppose if I got around to making it, some soul out there would remove the decals and scan them. Lotta decals on that one.

Fairly sure it's one molded piece. I can pull it out again if needed

#3986 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Fairly sure it's one molded piece. I can pull it out again if needed

Appears to have been formed on a female mold, but the sharp edges around those circles (underside of ramp) is hard to achieve. In order to achieve that level of detail might require a pressure assist forming. In addition to simply being vacuum formed, pressure assist is accomplished by another chamber on top of the plastic that can be pressurized during the forming process to attain that level of detail. I envision someday incorporating pressure assist onto my new machine, but well down the road.

#3987 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Sorry, not for sale as mine has a broken nose also. I was waiting for decals before I switched it. Somebody in the Playfield overlay thread had said they were going to make them but it never happened.
[quoted image][quoted image]

thats a beauty, but it looks naked without the decals lol. i havent seen anyone out there who reproduces them and there are quite a few.
the ramp is definitely all one piece i have mine out right now, trying to epoxy the front sides back together and fill the hole in the jokers nose

#3988 3 years ago

Gonna cast my vote for this also.

I think the holes were achieved by overextruding that area and cutting them off with a band saw.

I've tried thinking about how to protect with some kind of cliffy. Haven't come up with anything.20200509_193105 (resized).jpg20200509_193105 (resized).jpg20200509_193118 (resized).jpg20200509_193118 (resized).jpg20200509_193129 (resized).jpg20200509_193129 (resized).jpg

If you agree to this one, I will do what I can to reproduce the decals

#3989 3 years ago

Really like your work
Silly question perhaps, but how do I place orders? I sent a pm over two months ago but no response.

#3990 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

sharp edges around those circles (underside of ramp) is hard to achieve.

I think the cutoff of the holes was done with a belt sander.

#3991 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I think the cutoff of the holes was done with a belt sander.

Actually since this is molded on a female mold, those edges can be achieved. The eye/mouth holes are similar to what I deal with on the Strange Science main ramp, but they are formed on a male mold...I too cut them off first with a band saw, then finish them on a belt sander.

I'll be willing to give this a shot, but I've promised everyone I would not take anything new on until I get the heater done. Work is going slowly with it as this COVID-19 thing has prompted many to buy ramps to work on machines during this stay at home time....It's been reeeeealy busy.

Generally I use plastic that is either .118" (generally referred to as 1/8") or .150" which is nice to use to beef up some ramps. My preference is to mold on male molds whenever I can...just stronger and more durable overall. In some cases female molds simply cannot be avoided and this, like the Space Station ramp is one of those. When you form on a female mold, as the plastic is drawn down into the mold it thins as it stretches. This can be overcome some with the use of a plug assist. Plug assist general leaves marks in the plastic but given the decals on this piece, that probably wouldn't be a problem. As I said, I usually use .118" and .150" PETG.....I also have a bunch of .177" thick stuff.....it's really thick. It's what I use for the Radical pieces.

Not sure what the original thickness of the piece is, but I suspect it is 1/8". Maybe thicker. If the game could handle the thick stuff (.177") that would certainly be an upgrade.

If an when the time comes I may have to search out a local machine to see what could be used.

#3992 3 years ago

All I know, is that the deep drawn plastic is very thin and gets hit with the ball...
and thus breaks.
I was thinking of added clear plastic to beef up the side walls.
The skee ball ramp was not designed very well from an engineering
point of view... I'm exited to see what you can come up with.
Thank you for making long gone vacuum formed parts available again.
Much appreciated.

#3993 3 years ago

I’m still convinced this virus was created in a lab to slow progress on the new heater.

#3994 3 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I’m still convinced this virus was created in a lab to slow progress on the new heater.

LOL!

#3995 3 years ago

Let me know if you want to take a shot at the Joker ramp and I'll send it to you

#3996 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Friggin sweet. I'm going to pick up a Demo Man tonight!

#3997 3 years ago

Would be interested to see if the Y ramp for Road Kings could be made. Mine has been repaired at some point in its life. I understand you are busy, so it's more of a wish list type item.

#3998 3 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Was laughing when i saw this posted. Yes the new found ramp orders Freeplay40 is doing now does slow down the new heater but i look at this way he's making more ramps to feed the need. With all this practice making other ramps you get better in production as you hone the skills. Which intern leads a better process. Improvement is always a good thing. Who knows doing this enough will maybe make the crazy nasty ramps well all want the quote impossible ones just a little easier to pull off when the new heater is done. Also hopefully helps soften the cost of money already spent on the new heater and still needed to finish it.

#3999 3 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

Please, please, another vote for Batman Forever ramps. I'm performing a complete restore. My ramps are in not the best of shape. Cracked out near the screw holes and many scratches. I understand the difficulty with the mold, but you said you may revisit it.
I assume you are super busy with a real job and then trying to make as many people happy as you can with new ramps. Your work looks beautiful!
Is there anything any of us can do to have you visit this sooner rather than later?

I just got a Batman Forever. ramps are in good shape but I would certainly buy a second set just to have them.

#4000 3 years ago

I'd love a CBW ramp replacement...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 5,098 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 102.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/80?hl=cobra18t and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.