IMG_7483.gif
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 103.
#3601 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I should be done contacting the last folks on the Transporter and Radical lists in just the next couple days. Pretty much everything I have made for both of those projects is out the door so need to assess how many more I need to make to complete this first runs of these two.
As I have said, once done with these projects my primary focus will turn to the new heater. I did say however that I might consider slipping in some work for Black Rose.
Well....I was contacted by a local friend who told me he is just beginning teardown on two Black Rose machines and wondered if I wanted to do the ramps. Timing is everything, eh? I'm not totally familiar with the ramps on BR but he is going to send me some photos tonight so I can see if there are any I can't do right now. Either way, I think I will get the ramps from him and at least start making the molds for them...even if any of them are too large as I could follow up with those on the new heater.
So...BLACK ROSE RAMPS...
I would appreciate your feedback as to which ramps are needed/desired.
No rest for the weary!

Is the material you use to form ramps available in any different translucent colors? Just curious.

#3602 4 years ago

I'd be in for the whirlpool and left ramp as well! Any chance of doing the whirlpool ramp in transparent blue?

#3603 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Is the material you use to form ramps available in any different translucent colors? Just curious.

Quoted from jrockne:

I'd be in for the whirlpool and left ramp as well! Any chance of doing the whirlpool ramp in transparent blue?

I really only use two types of plastic....Black ABS for just a couple things I make and predominately several thicknesses of clear PETG. I can dye the PETG in some colors. I did yellow for GNR, transparent orange for the Comet Cork Screw, I've done quite a few pieces in transparent red and blue (Even one in transparent red AND transparent blue....PINBOT), and a couple pieces in a lighter blue (turquois)

I could do the Whirlpool in blue...Generally charge an additional $10 for the color.

#3604 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I didn't really answer this question. PETG can be sourced in almost any color...However in order to do so, the order must be placed overseas and the minimum requirement for an order is several thousand pounds...Just not economically feasible.

#3605 4 years ago

I need the Left Black Rose ramp as mine is cracked at the entrance. I'll buy a whirlpool just cause anything you make for a pin I own I'll buy because yours are better than the originals.
I'm on the list for a Repro BR playfield also hopefully that's done sometime next year so all new ramps would be awesome. The guys doing the playfield also plan on doing the cannon plastic so the more new parts available the better I like new parts.

#3606 4 years ago

Closing the Radical Ramps list today. I believe I have notified everyone who indicated interest. If I did not hear back from you I have deleted you. If I've missed you let me know. Will be making the last pieces I need for this run today and tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's support on this project.

Mark

#3607 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I really only use two types of plastic....Black ABS for just a couple things I make and predominately several thicknesses of clear PETG. I can dye the PETG in some colors. I did yellow for GNR, transparent orange for the Comet Cork Screw, I've done quite a few pieces in transparent red and blue (Even one in transparent red AND transparent blue....PINBOT), and a couple pieces in a lighter blue (turquois)
I could do the Whirlpool in blue...Generally charge an additional $10 for the color.

What does the " lighter blue" look like? That sounds nice.
And when its dyed, can the color be scratched away over time?

#3608 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

What does the " lighter blue" look like? That sounds nice.
And when its dyed, can the color be scratched away over time?

The dye does penetrate the plastic to some degree. I've been dying ramps for several years now and have yet to hear of any loss of color. As far as the lighter blue, see attached photo of some piece I did for Strange Science in the light blue.

IMG_1253 (resized).JPGIMG_1253 (resized).JPGIMG_1255 (resized).JPGIMG_1255 (resized).JPG
#3609 4 years ago

This are some samples of the darker blue I use...

IMG_1101 (resized).JPGIMG_1101 (resized).JPGIMG_1323 (resized).JPGIMG_1323 (resized).JPGIMG_1324 (resized).JPGIMG_1324 (resized).JPG
#3610 4 years ago

I've just sent out the last notifications for interest in the Transporter pieces to see how many more pieces I need to make to cover all who are interested. I will also be closing this list in the next couple days. If I missed you, let me know.

Trying to wrap up both this project and the Radical projects so I can move on to the HEATER!

#3611 4 years ago

You will enjoy and endless amount of opportunities and requests for ramps that fit your current setup. Hopefully the temptation to do “just one more” with the current heater will not win out over finally getting the big unit into production! I’d be curious to see if the big unit makes you more efficient, too, by allowing smaller ramps to be formed concurrently with large ramps if there’s room on the sheet. Heater! Heater! Heater! Yay!

#3612 4 years ago

I wonder how that darker blue would look on space shuttle. When you guys determine who is making the space shuttle ramp, keep us updated. I have to believe at this point it is going to be a best seller.

#3613 4 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I’d be curious to see if the big unit makes you more efficient, too

With mine I find I'm far less productive, but far more popular.

#3614 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

I wonder how that darker blue would look on space shuttle. When you guys determine who is making the space shuttle ramp, keep us updated. I have to believe at this point it is going to be a best seller.

or clear with some led strips

#3615 4 years ago

You will enjoy and endless amount of opportunities and requests for ramps that fit your current setup. Hopefully the temptation to do “just one more” with the current heater will not win out over finally getting the big unit into production! I’d be curious to see if the big unit makes you more efficient, too, by allowing smaller ramps to be formed concurrently with large ramps if there’s room on the sheet. Heater! Heater! Heater! Yay!

The new heater will force me, at least for the forming process, to be more efficient as running the new heater is just like having your dryer running...just the heater will pull approximately 35-40 amps. So the forming process will become a "planned" event. Mostly due to the fact that the molds build up and retain heat, so when doing a forming event I would need to plan on several different molds being executed during the event. Typically in a high volume production, the molds are often "plumbed" so that coolant can be circulated through them....just not feasible for the size of runs pinball ramps require.

#3616 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Blue had been my plan all along. Larry had indicated he would certainly do the black ABS, and possibly a clear, but no mention of a blue.

#3617 4 years ago

Actually, I will keep my existing machine and the associated heating process as, at least as far as heating the plastic, it is very efficient. I do envision at this time to build the new heater and still use my current machine for the forming as the machine I have can already handle larger plastic. In the end I will have two complete machines.

#3618 4 years ago

Based on the feedback, at this point I think I am going to do just the Whirlpool and left ramp for Black Rose. Doing these two now won't really slow me down much. Since I do intend to do them, at least getting the molds made sooner than later makes more sense to me as they simply get stronger over time (Recently, due to the power of my vacuum setup, I had a couple molds that were reinforced with steel rebar actually snap under the pressure)

#3619 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Based on the feedback, at this point I think I am going to do just the Whirlpool and left ramp for Black Rose. Doing these two now won't really slow me down much. Since I do intend to do them, at least getting the molds made sooner than later makes more sense to me as they simply get stronger over time (Recently, due to the power of my vacuum setup, I had a couple molds that were reinforced with steel rebar actually snap under the pressure)

#3620 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

The dye does penetrate the plastic to some degree. I've been dying ramps for several years now and have yet to hear of any loss of color. As far as the lighter blue, see attached photo of some piece I did for Strange Science in the light blue.[quoted image][quoted image]

Wouldn't call that a light blue but rather a very nice turquoise!
Would be a killer color for some pins like wcs94.

#3621 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Wouldn't call that a light blue but rather a very nice turquoise!

Concur....definitely a turquois!

#3622 4 years ago

Cant wait for demoman. I'll take a set.

#3623 4 years ago

If you ever make the lower ramp for Hurricane count me in!

#3624 4 years ago
Quoted from snextime:

If you ever make the lower ramp for Hurricane count me in!

I think the best chances for the other Hurricane ramps is with Starship. Larry and I recently talked about the changes that were made in the design of the center ramp and he actually shared a photo of the Hurricane ramps mold...huge mold with all the ramps on one form.

#3625 4 years ago

Count me in for Both Black Rose ramps Mark.

#3626 4 years ago

Larry with Starship shared a photo of an original Williams mold for Hurricane with me. Monstrous heavy pieces with all the pieces on one mold. Thought some of you might find this interesting. For those of you who have followed the development of my Hurricane center ramp, you may recall that I discovered there were two different versions of this ramp with respect to the position of the center drop hole. If you look closely at the center ramp portion of this mold (Upper left) you can see that the mold was modified (Extended) for the newest, correct version.

5cbc34cfd8b096523e1c8b8fd0d7ef287e3eb5e6 (resized).png5cbc34cfd8b096523e1c8b8fd0d7ef287e3eb5e6 (resized).png
#3627 4 years ago

I have started an official list for Black Rose. I picked up the names of those who indicated interest in the last couple pages of this post. If anyone else is interested just drop me a pm.

#3628 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I had indicated I would do Space Shuttle, but I think Larry at Starship is gearing up for those (Yes we do talk, but mostly to avoid duplication). Really no sense in both of us making the same ramp since so many others are needed. If he doesn't make the Space Shuttle ramp, I will.

I have purchased several of Larry's ramps and will do so again. Larry's quality is top notch.

For sure duplication is silly. But I've been hearing 'soon' from Larry on Space Shuttle ramps for I want to say three years now.

Would you be comfortable in giving a deadline/timeline on that? Maybe like, if he doesn't make Space Shuttle ramps by May 2020 you'll do a run?

#3629 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Larry with Starship shared a photo of an original Williams mold for Hurricane with me. Monstrous heavy pieces with all the pieces on one mold. Thought some of you might find this interesting. For those of you who have followed the development of my Hurricane center ramp, you may recall that I discovered there were two different versions of this ramp with respect to the position of the center drop hole. If you look closely at the center ramp portion of this mold (Upper left) you can see that the mold was modified (Extended) for the newest, correct version.[quoted image]

WOW! That’s one big ####### mold!

#3630 4 years ago

How do I contact Larry?

Quoted from Freeplay40:I think the best chances for the other Hurricane ramps is with Starship. Larry and I recently talked about the changes that were made in the design of the center ramp and he actually shared a photo of the Hurricane ramps mold...huge mold with all the ramps on one form.

#3632 4 years ago

Um....Space Shuttle???

#3633 4 years ago
Quoted from AgentX:

Um....Space Shuttle???

Space Shuttle would be awesome. Maybe Back to the Future one day (its huge i know!)

#3634 4 years ago
Quoted from AgentX:

Um....Space Shuttle???

I've been following space shuttle here and Larry's thread (couple posts up).

Freeplay suggested a short while ago he thought larry was going to give it a go and if he doesn't, he would do it.

After reading Larry's thread, i'm not getting the feeling that he's ready to do it, so it could be a big wait.

Sounds like it's a difficult build.
If they had to add some money to it, to make it profitable, me personally, i'm cool with that.

#3635 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Sold out for now.

I assume this includes the Pinbot ramps, too?

I like how he says “...for now.” Maybe start a preorder list? I’ll will be in for one of everything you make for Pinbot. My buddy is gonna sell me his soon, and I’ll upgrade it all when I get it.

#3636 4 years ago

Local friend stopped by today and brought me the Black Rose Whirlpool and left ramps to model from. Spent some time discussing the failures on these ramps and I see some simple modifications that will make them much stronger/more durable. Appears the originals were formed on male molds (The best way) and probably out of .118"/.125" plastic. First off I will definitely go to the .150" plastic. Secondly, while they had the forethought to put protectors on both sides of the entrances to both ramps, the position of the two rivets in each protector are too close to the entrance and due to ball impact close to the rivets, the ramps are developing cracks starting at the rivet holes. What I will do on the left ramp is to extend the protectors about an additional 2" (Up to the decal) and then I can rivet further up the ramp. For the Whirlpool ramp, I will extend the left protector all the way to the cut-out and extend the right protector about 1.5".

Since these protectors are all riveted to the ramps, I think it best if I provide new installed ones....but that will add to the cost. I will also offer a new Lexan cover for Whirlpool. As you all know by now I do not provide decals. As a side note, since I cannot sell the decals I do intend to do some experimenting and already have some ideas to recreate/reuse existing underside decals and if I come up with a simple effective method I will gladly share that knowledge with anyone interested.

The Whirlpool ramp has one unique piece that would be difficult for me to reproduce cheaply. This is a bracket at the top of the ramp where the ramp connects to a wireform. This is something that I would offer to install for you for free if that piece was sent to me.

Probably about a month away.....This is the last project I will start for the time being as my focus turns to the new heater....and...If I don't get busy on that, I fear some Pinsiders will start making death threats or at the least an IMPEACHMENT inquiry!

Cheers...

IMG_1578 (resized).JPGIMG_1578 (resized).JPG
#3637 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Local friend stopped by today and brought me the Black Rose Whirlpool and left ramps to model from. Spent some time discussing the failures on these ramps and I see some simple modifications that will make them much stronger/more durable. Appears the originals were formed on male molds (The best way) and probably out of .118"/.125" plastic. First off I will definitely go to the .150" plastic. Secondly, while they had the forethought to put protectors on both sides of the entrances to both ramps, the position of the two rivets in each protector are too close to the entrance and due to ball impact close to the rivets, the ramps are developing cracks starting at the rivet holes. What I will do on the left ramp is to extend the protectors about an additional 2" (Up to the decal) and then I can rivet further up the ramp. For the Whirlpool ramp, I will extend the left protector all the way to the cut-out and extend the right protector about 1.5".
Since these protectors are all riveted to the ramps, I think it best if I provide new installed ones....but that will add to the cost. I will also offer a new Lexan cover for Whirlpool. As you all know by now I do not provide decals. As a side note, since I cannot sell the decals I do intend to do some experimenting and already have some ideas to recreate/reuse existing underside decals and if I come up with a simple effective method I will gladly share that knowledge with anyone interested.
The Whirlpool ramp has one unique piece that would be difficult for me to reproduce cheaply. This is a bracket at the top of the ramp where the ramp connects to a wireform. This is something that I would offer to install for you for free if that piece was sent to me.
Probably about a month away.....This is the last project I will start for the time being as my focus turns to the new heater....and...If I don't get busy on that, I fear some Pinsiders will start making death threats or at the least an IMPEACHMENT inquiry!
Cheers...[quoted image]

You are the BEST Mark. YES YES YES to all your ideas to improve the ramps. I have no problem pulling that whirlpool piece and sending it to you to put on for me.

#3638 4 years ago

You’re going to make a fortune in the ramp market. We have been waiting for someone with these talents forever!!

#3639 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Cheers...[quoted image]

Mark, I recently saw in the HEP thread where he showed reclaiming a decal for reuse. Hope this is of use to you!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/92#post-5171979

#3640 4 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Mark, I recently saw in the HEP thread where he showed reclaiming a decal for reuse. Hope this is of use to you!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/92#post-5171979

Absolutely. I wasn't sure if the 3M decal transfer tape would work for the underside decals....this confirms it for me. I have been successful at removing original decals just using Goo-Gone and slowly working them loose and then cleaning the remaining glue off also with Goo-Gone.....and whenever I remove one I scan it!

I was going to next experiment with adhesive backed reverse imaged clear vinyl then backed with white vinyl, but now I see no need to do that since the 3M transfer tape works so well. So I am now just going to test print to white vinyl and just use the 3m transfer tape.

I recall years ago when I was applying a factory stripe to one of the early Mazda rotary engine cars. In that installation you simply spray Windex on the car then apply the decals over the Windex which allows you to slide it around until you get the alignment just right. Then you just squeegee out the Windex and voila!... perfect application. That is probably one of the first things I will try with the 3m tape.

Just seems impossible to get the license holders to make decals available so best if we figure out how to just do our own.

Thanks again for the link.

#3641 4 years ago

Just an FYI. Nobody makes a fortune in the ramp market, especially true for Mark. I'll bet if he calculated his hourly rate, it's less than $1 per hour.

#3642 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Absolutely. I wasn't sure if the 3M decal transfer tape would work for the underside decals....this confirms it for me. I have been successful at removing original decals just using Goo-Gone and slowly working them loose and then cleaning the remaining glue off also with Goo-Gone.....and whenever I remove one I scan it!
I was going to next experiment with adhesive backed reverse imaged clear vinyl then backed with white vinyl, but now I see no need to do that since the 3M transfer tape works so well. So I am now just going to test print to white vinyl and just use the 3m transfer tape.
I recall years ago when I was applying a factory stripe to one of the early Mazda rotary engine cars. In that installation you simply spray Windex on the car then apply the decals over the Windex which allows you to slide it around until you get the alignment just right. Then you just squeegee out the Windex and voila!... perfect application. That is probably one of the first things I will try with the 3m tape.
Just seems impossible to get the license holders to make decals available so best if we figure out how to just do our own.
Thanks again for the link.

That 3m stuff is hard to work with. I always end up with what looks like tiny air bubbles. Its not noticeable when lights under the ramp shine thru it though. If you find a good way to apply it, please share. As for removing the decals, I use the duster cans and remove them the same way as mylar.

#3643 4 years ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

I'll bet if he calculated his hourly rate, it's less...

Well then let's not suggest that Mark calculate that rate lest he choose to quit! More seriously, thank you both for your work for the pinball community.

#3644 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

That 3m stuff is hard to work with. I always end up with what looks like tiny air bubbles. Its not noticeable when lights under the ramp shine thru it though. If you find a good way to apply it, please share. As for removing the decals, I use the duster cans and remove them the same way as mylar.

Once you have the decal applied, say to the underside of a ramp, wrap a rag or cloth around a fingernail and rub hard on the decal. It should look close to perfect by the time you're done.

#3645 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Maybe we should all quietly whisper "Space Shuttle ramp" over and over again...

Keep up the great work Mark! I haven't started my SS teardown and hardtop install yet because I'm missing one critical piece.

#3646 4 years ago

Mark
Forgive my naivete but I don't understand the decal issue. Since you said it was hard getting the license holders to create decals but your scanning decals as you're able to save them why can't you just start printing them out or are you saying individuals can basically print their own for personal use if they have a useable decal to scan?

For "Comet" for instance, how is it that people can buy the dunk the dummy, million shot and rabbit and duck decals but not a center ramp decal? Did the license holders authorize the release of those or are people just reproducing them without permission? I just bought a million shot decal from Marco and have in the past bought a dunk the dummy from another source. Repopped decals for cars come to mind for instance, as you mentioned above. I know people repop decals and offer them for sale on a car website I'm on. Is it just because some companies or license holders don't have a hard-on for going after people making them?

I know because a lot of decals stick to the bottom of the ramp people have said they might not be easy to scan but why couldn't they be stuck to a thin piece of PETG or similar material like playfield protectors are made of and then scanned? Would that work? I ask because I have a NOS Comet center ramp decal and if I can get away with it and figure out a good way to do it I'd start cranking them out since it seems like there's a demand.
Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

#3647 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

Mark
Forgive my naivete but I don't understand the decal issue. Since you said it was hard getting the license holders to create decals but your scanning decals as you're able to save them why can't you just start printing them out or are you saying individuals can basically print their own for personal use if they have a useable decal to scan?
For "Comet" for instance, how is it that people can buy the dunk the dummy, million shot and rabbit and duck decals but not a center ramp decal? Did the license holders authorize the release of those or are people just reproducing them without permission? I just bought a million shot decal from Marco and have in the past bought a dunk the dummy from another source. Repopped decals for cars come to mind for instance, as you mentioned above. I know people repop decals and offer them for sale on a car website I'm on. Is it just because some companies or license holders don't have a hard-on for going after people making them?
I know because a lot of decals stick to the bottom of the ramp people have said they might not be easy to scan but why couldn't they be stuck to a thin piece of PETG or similar material like playfield protectors are made of and then scanned? Would that work? I ask because I have a NOS Comet center ramp decal and if I can get away with it and figure out a good way to do it I'd start cranking them out since it seems like there's a demand.

I'll send you a pm directly...

#3648 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

Mark

The decals that I've found under plastics are silkscreened on some type of thin mylar. Even if you scan them, I don't think its possible to reproduce them and look like the originals.

#3649 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

The decals that I've found under plastics are silkscreened on some type of thin mylar. Even if you scan them, I don't think its possible to reproduce them and look like the originals.

I honestly haven't played around with decals for several years. I recreated some plastics for my High Speed years ago with reverse image water slide decals which were then shot with white paint for the translucence. It took some experimenting to get the color saturation just right but in the end, they looked great. The hardest part was to get the black dense enough. I handled that by simply making an exact duplicate of the plastic image and removed all color except the black. I then just ran the decal through the printer again only printing black over the already printed decal. Printer (Ink Jet) lines it up perfectly for the second pass of just the black.

Bottom line is I think good quality reproductions can be made with a bit of tinkering if necessary.

#3650 4 years ago

Reached out to Rick at Planetary , anybody have the decal numbers so that they can reproduced ? These are for the left and Whirlpool Ramps on Black Rose

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 72.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/73?hl=agentx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.