IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif
IMG_1870 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,092 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 102.
#3551 4 years ago

Transporter ramp update....

Well, I'm finally done....finished some of the last piece last night. Over the years (wow...how time flies!) I've, on several occasions, discussed the differences between male mold and female molds. Sometimes you simply have no choice but to form a new ramp the same way as the original, simply due to the design...Space Station for example was formed on a female mold and cannot possible be formed on a male mold. Whenever I can I opt to form on male molds. The reason is it simply puts more plastic at the bottom of the ramp where it is needed for strength (thicker!)

The Transporter upper left and the right ramp were formed on female molds. I converted both of these to male molds. When formed as female molds as I mentioned, the plastic thins incredibly as it is pulled down into the form. If you look at the thickness of the plastic at the drop hole on the right ramp for example, you will see that the plastic there is only about 1/32" thick and as shown in the photos below, where that ramp is failing. The side by side photos of both the entrance and exit to that ramp demonstrate the improvement by forming on a male mold. Both the upper left ramp and the right ramp had portions of the top edge "rolled over". This is difficult to reproduce when forming on a male mold. I was successful in "pulling" this off on the upper left ramp, but the right ramp fought me every step of the way. The right ramp has some of these rolled over edges, but I simply had too many failures to continue to make them exactly as the original. This was compounded by the fact that I chose a thicker plastic than the originals as well. So, I simply eliminated the rolled over parts of the right ramp....this is how I would have designed this ramp. The result is simply better all around.

I will announce pricing shortly and begin shipping tomorrow.

IMG_1568 (resized).JPGIMG_1568 (resized).JPGIMG_1569 (resized).JPGIMG_1569 (resized).JPGIMG_1570 (resized).JPGIMG_1570 (resized).JPG
#3552 4 years ago

Transporter pricing...

Individual piece pricing...

Upper left ramp $135 (Includes new entrance flap...not installed yet in photo below)
Right ramp $80
Cross-Over Bowl cover $80

Order all three for package price of $275

Shipping:

All three pieces $22
Upper left and right ramp $22

Upper left ramp only $16
Right ramp only $16
Cross-Over Bowl cover $11

I have not made enough to cover everyone on my list, but as soon as I start shipping and get a better idea of just how many I will need to complete this run, I will make the necessary pieces I need to finish this project....at least for now.

IMG_1571 (resized).JPGIMG_1571 (resized).JPGIMG_1572 (resized).JPGIMG_1572 (resized).JPGIMG_1573 (resized).JPGIMG_1573 (resized).JPG
#3553 4 years ago

I forgot to mention... The upper left ramp has a switch bracket riveted to the ramp. That will be included.

#3554 4 years ago

Oh beautiful day. Message sent

#3555 4 years ago

Received a pm asking about the thickness of the Transporter upper left ramp. First as I explained above, by reverse forming this ramp on a male mold, we get much thicker plastic at the bottom of the ramp....this is especially important at the entrance of the ramps, specifically at the two bottom edges. Additionally, best guess the original was made from .118" or .125" plastic at best and I formed it with .150" plastic.

See photo below of the original ramp verses my reproduction at the entrance.

IMG_1575 (resized).JPGIMG_1575 (resized).JPG
#3556 4 years ago

Great work ... Nice to see you healthy and back at doing what you do so well ....
All the best Larry
Regards
Rob

#3557 4 years ago

Do you still have the upper left ramp with vuk cut out
Not on the list please let me know
Thanks anthony

#3558 4 years ago

Sorry its for radical

#3559 4 years ago
Quoted from Godpinzilla:

Do you still have the upper left ramp with vuk cut out
Not on the list please let me know
Thanks anthony

Yes...Sending PM

#3560 4 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

All the best Larry

BTW....Larry is the other ramp guy!

#3561 4 years ago

Did the Jack bot ramp sell?

#3563 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

BTW....Larry is the other ramp guy!

But your good friends call you Larry, right?

#3564 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

But your good friends call you Larry, right?

It's the thought that counts!

#3565 4 years ago

Do you plan on doing T2 ramps? I'm only asking because I'm about to start a play field swap and would be more than happy to send you the stock ramps while I do the top and bottom side tear down, cleaning, and swapping

#3566 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Do you plan on doing T2 ramps? I'm only asking because I'm about to start a play field swap and would be more than happy to send you the stock ramps while I do the top and bottom side tear down, cleaning, and swapping

Haven't really considered T2 ramps yet...Sorry

#3567 4 years ago

I dont need any, mine are fine I was just tryin to help others

#3568 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

It's the thought that counts!

It's a Canadian thing...

#3569 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tar-pit-blue-ramp-new-old-stock

just saying....these are very rare. If there is one in one year, it is a lot, but a lot of people looking

#3570 4 years ago

Got the Transporter The Rescue Ramps installed!!! So nice and very well manufactured! I’m very impressed with the work Freeplay40!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! A million times thank you!!!

0B858B50-4F0A-49D6-9A48-C0153FA05D1B (resized).jpeg0B858B50-4F0A-49D6-9A48-C0153FA05D1B (resized).jpeg3314FFDD-C69B-42FA-8758-D70E8DC09131 (resized).jpeg3314FFDD-C69B-42FA-8758-D70E8DC09131 (resized).jpeg9297ABE5-AEF7-4251-A7A7-F5C475BB0584 (resized).jpeg9297ABE5-AEF7-4251-A7A7-F5C475BB0584 (resized).jpeg
#3571 4 years ago

Hey there Freeplay40 I haven't read through the entire (72 page!) thread here, but I was wondering, how do you go about choosing what games to repro parts for? I have a Jokerz! and I know a couple of other people who do, and we're all lamenting the fact that the left, right and center ramps are not available to buy anywhere, and no repros seem to be being made.

Do you do one-shots (or small batch, as it were)?

#3572 4 years ago

Received my Transporter rams this past week. Freeplay - I can't thank you enough. Great work as always.

#3573 4 years ago

Bump for Jokerz

#3574 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

Do you do one-shots (or small batch, as it were)?

Well, back in more recent pages, I have discussed that in addition to reproducing ramps that I can expect enough orders to make the it worth the time it takes to bring and produce a particular ramp....yes, economically, that I occasionally like to do what I consider "favors to the community". These are projects that I do not expect many sales on but if I did not do them, no one else ever would. I'm just wrapping up a couple of these now.....specifically the ramp for Blackbelt and the 3 pieces for Transporter the Rescue. Planetary was able to get the Transporter Cross-Over ramp done. This is an injection molded piece. Since they did that I decided that I would make the other three vacuum formed pieces to complete some of the most needed pieces for that game.

I also like making clear or colored ramps for games that had black plastic ramps....love the System 11's. Clear and colored ramps with the LED lighting that is available can make dramatic changes in a game.

I enjoy doing this and it is always challenging and I like making small changes in the ramps to improve strength. I really only show my stuff here on Pinside and have gotten tremendous support from the folks here...honestly it is what keeps me going.

As far as doing one-offs....Don't do that. I'm retired and I work on this stuff more than full time. It takes about a month to bring just one piece to production. Generally I just do one game at a time. Just recently, and all at pretty much the same time, I produced Black belt (Actually 2 pieces), Transporter (3 pieces) and initially one but evolved to 2 pieces for Radical. Concurrent with those I still produce pretty much everything I have ever made basically on demand.....I keep very little inventory.

One note on Black Belt. A couple years ago I was approached and offered $1500 for 2 Black Belt ramps. I just couldn't bring myself to, one, stop what I was doing to cater to one individual, but mostly because I would never expect anyone to have to pay that much. Told him to wait and see if I or anyone else ever decided to do that one....fortunately for him I also have a friend that wanted one, so I decided to do it. He never found a replacement, but did see I was making them and of course ordered....He sent me $500 for one....Couldn't accept that so I refunded the difference...well all accept for $19 which I did keep as a "tip"!

For those that have followed me for what is now years!, I have been saying forever that I have to build a bigger heater so I can do larger pieces. I am actually catching my breath here and have been casually working my way through the Transporter and Radical lists. Once I get through those, my main focus will be on finishing the heater. First up on the new heater will be the Comet center ramp (since I already made the Cork Screw and Cycle jump) and I think I will do the rest of the ramps for Radical. I had indicated I would do Space Shuttle, but I think Larry at Starship is gearing up for those (Yes we do talk, but mostly to avoid duplication). Really no sense in both of us making the same ramp since so many others are needed. If he doesn't make the Space Shuttle ramp, I will.

Cheers!

#3575 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Well, back in more recent pages, I have discussed that in addition to reproducing ramps that I can expect enough orders to make the it worth the time it takes to bring and produce a particular ramp....yes, economically, that I occasionally like to do what I consider "favors to the community". These are projects that I do not expect many sales on but if I did not do them, no one else ever would. I'm just wrapping up a couple of these now.....specifically the ramp for Blackbelt and the 3 pieces for Transporter the Rescue. Planetary was able to get the Transporter Cross-Over ramp done. This is an injection molded piece. Since they did that I decided that I would make the other three vacuum formed pieces to complete some the most needed pieces for that game.
I also like making clear or colored ramps for games that had black plastic ramps....love the System 11's. Clear and colored ramps with the LED lighting that is available can make dramatic changes in a game.
I enjoy doing this and it is always challenging and I like making small changes in the ramps to improve strength. I really only show my stuff here on Pinside and have gotten tremendous support from the folks here...honestly it is what keeps me going.
As far as doing one-offs....Don't do that. I'm retired and I work on this stuff more than full time. It takes about a month to bring just one piece to production. Generally I just do one game at a time. Just recently, and all at pretty much the same time, I produced Black belt (Actually 2 pieces), Transporter (3 pieces) and initially one but evolved to 2 pieces for Radical. Concurrent with those I still produce pretty much everything I have ever made basically on demand.....I keep very little inventory.
One note on Black Belt. A couple years ago I was approached and offered $1500 for 2 Black Belt ramps. I just couldn't bring myself to, one, stop what I was doing to cater to one individual, but mostly because I would never expect anyone to have to pay that much. Told him to wait and see if I or anyone else ever decided to do that one....fortunately for him I also have a friend that wanted one, so I decided to do it. He never found a replacement, but did see I was making them and of course ordered....He sent me $500 for one....Couldn't accept that so I refunded the difference...well all accept for $19 which I did keep as a "tip"!
For those that have followed me for what is now years!, I have been saying forever that I have to build a bigger heater so I can do larger pieces. I am actually catching my breath here and have been casually working my way through the Transporter and Radical lists. Once I get through those, my main focus will be on finishing the heater. First up on the new heater will be the Comet center ramp (since I already made the Cork Screw and Cycle jump) and I think I will do the rest of the ramps for Radical. I had indicated I would do Space Shuttle, but I think Larry at Starship is gearing up for those (Yes we do talk, but mostly to avoid duplication). Really no sense in both of us making the same ramp since so many others are needed. If he doesn't make the Space Shuttle ramp, I will.
Cheers!

This sir, is what makes you a good man to deal with here.

I have bought several (space station, high speed, swords of fury, genesis, transporter ) ramps from you and every single one was like buying years of fun, the excitement getting each box in the mail was off the charts.

Thanks again for your continued efforts!

#3576 4 years ago

any intentions to do Black Rose?

#3577 4 years ago

Hi Freeplay40,

Thanks for having the skills to do work like this.
Thanks as well, for taking the time to provide insight to your rationale on deciding what to work on.

I would also add to the interest on the Jokerz! ramp sets.
While the UPF is available here and there, it is hard to source the Left, Right, and Center(lock) ramps.

Thanks again!

#3578 4 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

any intentions to do Black Rose?

Quoted from Morinack:

Hi Freeplay40,
Thanks for having the skills to do work like this.
Thanks as well, for taking the time to provide insight to your rationale on deciding what to work on.
I would also add to the interest on the Jokerz! ramp sets.
While the UPF is available here and there, it is hard to source the Left, Right, and Center(lock) ramps.
Thanks again!

Black Rose has been discussed several time and yes I will most likely do it sooner than later. Jokerz is also in my thoughts...just wish I could come to a reasonable arrangement with Planetary to make the decals available.

#3579 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

just wish I could come to a reasonable arrangement with Planetary to make the decals available.

Mark are you trying to get a license to make the labels? Maybe if you share how many total of each ramp you plant to make they can make an equivalent amount of labels that customers could buy directly from pps.

#3580 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Mark are you trying to get a license to make the labels? Maybe if you share how many total of each ramp you plant to make they can make an equivalent amount of labels that customers could buy directly from pps.

sending pm

#3581 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Good idea. Plus, in most cases the decals people have are fine -- or could be scanned, cleaned up, and reprinted with ease. It's the yellow, cracked unobtainium ramps that we need

#3582 4 years ago

Space Station Upper ramp? My Gorilla tape is wearing thin

#3583 4 years ago

Riverboat Gambler ramps would be in demand (I think). It's a huge one piece ramp though, not sure your equipment could fit it, but I know of several who need one.

I have a spare if you need one for a mold.

Chris

#3584 4 years ago
Quoted from thelazybman:

Space Station Upper ramp? My Gorilla tape is wearing thin

That is an injection molded piece. There was a Pinsider that was trying to make up an alternative for that ramp but I think it died on the vine. Best hope is that Rick with Planetary will find the original injection mold for that one. Pretty sure if he finds it he will get them made.

#3585 4 years ago

Jokerz is also in my thoughts...just wish I could come to a reasonable arrangement with Planetary to make the decals available.

That's good to know. My right ramp is in pretty bad shape and at this point I think quite a few of us would be willing to take naked ramps and try to salvage the old decals. Thanks for all the hard work you are doing for the community!

#3586 4 years ago

Great news Mark, that you will be soon turning your attention to the larger heater. Speaking of which, have the Demo Man ramps now fallen off your radar? I understood it that this set of ramps were one of your first priorities with the new setup?

#3587 4 years ago

I need demolition man ramps too but it worries me. To get them in and out , you need to squeeze and pull and yank on them. Thicker plastic might make it darn near impossible to install.

#3588 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Great news Mark, that you will be soon turning your attention to the larger heater. Speaking of which, have the Demo Man ramps now fallen off your radar? I understood it that this set of ramps were one of your first priorities with the new setup?

Yes, Demo Man ramps are still planned...I already have the donor ramps here. I might go ahead and make molds for what I can do on the current set up as the longer they cure the stronger the get.

#3589 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I need demolition man ramps too but it worries me. To get them in and out , you need to squeeze and pull and yank on them. Thicker plastic might make it darn near impossible to install.

I just took a close look at the three ramps I have for Demo Man. The largest ramp appears to be made out of .118"/.125" plastic. The two smaller ramps appear to me to be made out of possibly .100" plastic.....at the very least the two smaller ramps appear to be made from a thinner plastic than the larger ramp. I would like to make to make these with .150" plastic, but could offer them also in .118". For the two smaller ramps I would make those in at least .118". They also appear to have been formed on male molds which is how I would do them as well. So if your ramps are suffering cracks at the entrances' lower edges, a thicker plastic would help strengthen those.

The difference between .150" and .118" is only .032"....or roughly 1/30th of an inch...../not much at all, but certainly greater strength. If you were to measure for instance the outside width of the entrance walls, in total the result with the thicker plastic could increase that measurement by about 1/16".

#3590 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I just took a close look at the three ramps I have for Demo Man. The largest ramp appears to be made out of .118"/.125" plastic. The two smaller ramps appear to me to be made out of possibly .100" plastic.....at the very least the two smaller ramps appear to be made from a thinner plastic than the larger ramp. I would like to make to make these with .150" plastic, but could offer them also in .118". For the two smaller ramps I would make those in at least .118". They also appear to have been formed on male molds which is how I would do them as well. So if your ramps are suffering cracks at the entrances' lower edges, a thicker plastic would help strengthen those.
The difference between .150" and .118" is only .032"....or roughly 1/30th of an inch...../not much at all, but certainly greater strength. If you were to measure for instance the outside width of the entrance walls, in total the result with the thicker plastic could increase that measurement by about 1/16".

I agree, the thicker material will be a bonus and ensure the new Demo Man ramps last much longer. Yes, you need to manipulate the ramps to get them all interwoven when reassembling the playfield, but if you do it in the right order it won't be a problem. Really looking forward to these being made sometime soon.

#3591 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Yes, Demo Man ramps are still planned...I already have the donor ramps here. I might go ahead and make molds for what I can do on the current set up as the longer they cure the stronger the get.

I will take 2 sets of Demo Man Ramps, Thanks

#3592 4 years ago

Transporter Ramps Arrived -- Cannot Thank you enough Mark for taking the time to make these ramps. It is people like you and this sort of effort that makes the pinball community a good one. Ramps look to be very high quality and I can tell the right side return ramp is of superior design just by looking at it.

Keep up the great work -- I'd buy your ramps for any game I own. . . even if I don't need them. Its the best way I can think of to show my appreciation.

5J5A2428 (resized).JPG5J5A2428 (resized).JPG
#3593 4 years ago

I should be done contacting the last folks on the Transporter and Radical lists in just the next couple days. Pretty much everything I have made for both of those projects is out the door so need to assess how many more I need to make to complete this first runs of these two.

As I have said, once done with these projects my primary focus will turn to the new heater. I did say however that I might consider slipping in some work for Black Rose.

Well....I was contacted by a local friend who told me he is just beginning teardown on two Black Rose machines and wondered if I wanted to do the ramps. Timing is everything, eh? I'm not totally familiar with the ramps on BR but he is going to send me some photos tonight so I can see if there are any I can't do right now. Either way, I think I will get the ramps from him and at least start making the molds for them...even if any of them are too large as I could follow up with those on the new heater.

So...BLACK ROSE RAMPS...

I would appreciate your feedback as to which ramps are needed/desired.

No rest for the weary!

#3594 4 years ago

Interested in Demoman ramps and probably black rose also so if you have a list going please put me on it

#3595 4 years ago

+1 Black Rose Ramps.
Mark-There are 2 key plastic pieces on BR.
The whirlpool ramp I want.
Entrance to left ramp, about 10 inches.

#3596 4 years ago

4 ramps. Mains that need done are #1 Whirlpool, #2 left ramp... numbers 3&4 not so much. 3 is subway and 4 is back panel

BE1EDD3F-8B88-4D4A-A27D-1516881F414C (resized).jpegBE1EDD3F-8B88-4D4A-A27D-1516881F414C (resized).jpeg840A5C03-43F6-43CC-971A-7EEC3B9AAAFC (resized).jpeg840A5C03-43F6-43CC-971A-7EEC3B9AAAFC (resized).jpeg0E6F7F1F-B8A1-476C-A5AC-F9B6A8F359D9 (resized).jpeg0E6F7F1F-B8A1-476C-A5AC-F9B6A8F359D9 (resized).jpeg10BE131E-4362-49D1-8846-53AAC933D4DD (resized).jpeg10BE131E-4362-49D1-8846-53AAC933D4DD (resized).jpeg
#3597 4 years ago

I’d be in for at least whirlpool and left.. all of mine are are in good shap except whirlpool is cracked but still whole. If you need them for molds let me know.

#3598 4 years ago

I would grab a set

#3599 4 years ago

As I recall most requests have been mostly for the Whirlpool and some for the left ramp.

#3600 4 years ago

If the back is done I would take one as well as a whirlpool and subway ... personal taste I would love to see the back ramp made in black , the white shows the dirt and with Black Rose it's a pain to get at it ...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 138.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
€ 8.00
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marion, NC
$ 40.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
There are 5,092 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 102.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/72 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.