Topic Stats

• 3,747 posts
  • 595 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by Freeplay40
  • Topic is favorited by 340 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 458 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

73452DDF-9DEB-434A-B010-008E44F5E6B3 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
received_434946987313828 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20191106_183142686 (resized).jpg
BCFDAD5F-9992-4B30-82F8-F249954DDA72 (resized).jpeg
A6D455C7-A027-4BFF-A53F-0923AC1DB65C (resized).jpeg
IMG_1578 (resized).JPG
5cbc34cfd8b096523e1c8b8fd0d7ef287e3eb5e6 (resized).png
IMG_1323 (resized).JPG
IMG_1101 (resized).JPG
IMG_1324 (resized).JPG
IMG_1255 (resized).JPG
IMG_1253 (resized).JPG
0E6F7F1F-B8A1-476C-A5AC-F9B6A8F359D9 (resized).jpeg
840A5C03-43F6-43CC-971A-7EEC3B9AAAFC (resized).jpeg
10BE131E-4362-49D1-8846-53AAC933D4DD (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 3747 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 75.
#301 3 years ago

How about some ramps for Radical?

#302 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

How about some ramps for Radical?

Possible down the road a bit. Will require the new machine.

#303 3 years ago

Everyone needs a Star Warp Ramp for Time Machine...It's front in line so far.

#304 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Everyone needs a Star Warp Ramp for Time Machine...It's front in line so far.

I don't think my arm will twist any further!!

Hoping to get a good look at this ramp in the next few days.

#305 3 years ago

Finally finished a Hurricane center ramp today. Will start accepting orders on Tuesday.

Hurricane_11_(resized).JPG

#306 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Finally finished a Hurricane center ramp today. Will start accepting orders on Tuesday.

#307 3 years ago

I'll take it, i'll take it!!

#308 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

You've got a nice collection now.

#309 3 years ago

I'm just glad to see some new ramps being made for any pinball machine this is one of the things that can save a machine from being parts. two thumbs up for Freeplay40 actually doing it same year its talked about.

#310 3 years ago

Pricing for the limited first run for the Hurricane center ramp was just posted here...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-hurricane-center-ramp#post-3210199

I'm only going to do 9 of them right now then need to take a break!

1 week later
#311 3 years ago

Time Machine - Star warp ramp next perhaps??? Please??

#312 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Time Machine - Star warp ramp next perhaps??? Please??

Very possible...I will take a serious look at it this coming week. Doing the small center ramps for Champion Pub right now for a friend and he's the one with the Time Machine that I'll work with.

#313 3 years ago

I think all Data East Time Machine members will be very happy with this... It is extremely necessary for this game.
I will buy two of these right off the bat.

#314 3 years ago

I would be in for a Time Machine ramp too. Correct me if I am wrong but I remember the starwarp ramp consists of 2 pieces.....the "corkscrew" is glued at the main piece. I hope this will not be an issue in reproducing it.

Marco

#315 3 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

I would be in for a Time Machine ramp too. Correct me if I am wrong but I remember the starwarp ramp consists of 2 pieces.....the "corkscrew" is glued at the main piece. I hope this will not be an issue in reproducing it.
Marco

Don't see that as a problem however, color might be an issue.

#316 3 years ago

Freeplay40
Is there a Petg resin available?

If there is couldn't you cast in a mold?
Add pigment for color

Quoted from Freeplay40:Don't see that as a problem however, color might be an issue.

#317 3 years ago
Quoted from wierdeer:

Is there a Petg resin available?

None that I am aware of. Typically with newly produced colored ramps, the color is actually paint. PETG in colors is no longer available domestically. I'll know more after I get a good look at the ramp.

#318 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Typically with newly produced colored ramps, the color is actually paint. PETG in colors is no longer available domestically. I'll know more after I get a good look at the ramp.

I wouldn't paint it (though candle apple paint is translucent). I would dye them:

That way you can choose the opacity based on time dipped, and you can do color on demand so you don't have to stock specific colors. Dying will embed the color into the plastic unlike paint.

#319 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I wouldn't paint it (though candle apple paint is translucent). I would dye them:
ยป YouTube video
That way you can choose the opacity based on time dipped, and you can do color on demand so you don't have to stock specific colors. Dying will embed the color into the plastic unlike paint.

I saw that video when snux had posted it. I did purchase dye and will try it soon. Was thinking of dying a scrap clear ramp then cutting it up and keeping one piece in the house and throwing one out in the yard!

I think I'll try it today!

#320 3 years ago

Another ramp (subway) that nobody make is the subway for Earthshaker. I know mine is being held together with glue and tape. I can get the other 3 ramps but that subway is impossible to find.

#321 3 years ago

First attempt at dying plastic failed. Soaked a ramp at about 140 degrees for an hour and no color absorbed. Will research further but unless simple to do, I seriously doubt I will get into it....just another big step and expense.

#322 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Soaked a ramp at about 140 degrees for an hour and no color absorbed. Will research further but unless simple to do, I seriously doubt I will get into it....just another big step and expens

if you watch the video, they got color within 7 minutes. They also said in the comments that RIT dye from a typical store does not work well, you need to buy Idye poly:
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/idye.html

#323 3 years ago

Found some Idye poly locally and will get some today. Hopefully something to show in a day or so. Fingers crossed!

#324 3 years ago

Any chance you want to do a TMNT ramp in the near future?

#325 3 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

Any chance you want to do a TMNT ramp in the near future?

Almost any ramp will be possible once the new machine is up. Have been several requests for this one. Is that ramp all one piece?

#326 3 years ago

It has been repaired but I believe it is. I have access to two of them at the moment.

#327 3 years ago

Both are in one piece. The one in Edmonds now is in better shape, mine has serious hack repair resin splat on it.

received_10154584417925101_(resized).jpeg

#328 3 years ago

First test at dying PETG has gone pretty well. This took about 30 minutes to get to this color. I was initially concerned as to whether or not the result would be transparent and it is. I chose green first as there is interest in ramps for Batman Forever. Might not be quite the right green for it, but I suspect the use of green LED's might help. Anyway, I am quite pleased with this first test. This may very well open the door for the Guns and Roses ramps. There are quite a bit of colors available, but can't really tell the end result until they are actually dyed. The green dye solution looks like army green...but the result is pretty nice.

In th photo I also showed examples of colored acrylic ramps to demonstrate the intensity of the color.

IMG_1140_(resized).JPG

#329 3 years ago

Is it too late for me to order a F-14 red ramp?

#330 3 years ago

I vote for a complete set of STTNG ramps!

#331 3 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

Is it too late for me to order a F-14 red ramp?

I had a problem with my last batch of red and am awaiting a reply from my supplier...However, I do have a few pieces from another batch that are slightly larger and I can cut one down and make you one.

#332 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I had a problem with my last batch of red and am awaiting a reply from my supplier...However, I do have a few pieces from another batch that are slightly larger and I can cut one down and make you one.

Thanks, that sounds good.
What email should I send paypal payment to and how much should I send?

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

Thanks, that sounds good.
What email should I send paypal payment to and how much should I send?

Sending pm

#334 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

This took about 30 minutes to get to this color. I was initially concerned as to whether or not the result would be transparent and it is

That video seemed to get decent results in the first 7 minutes. I would try another batch at like 10 minutes, I bet you get a nice translucent coating of color while still being nice and transparent. I would also post some photos with a bulb or two behind it in a somewhat dark room to see how much line shines through it.

#335 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I chose green first as there is interest in ramps for Batman Forever. Might not be quite the right green for it, but I suspect the use of green LED's might help.

Hey Mark, thanks for thinking about BF but that green is just all wrong. I wonder where they got that color green plastic for the game.

#336 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Mark, thanks for thinking about BF but that green is just all wrong. I wonder where they got that color green plastic for the game.

looks like there is only green and kelly green in the poly:
amazon.com link »

The plain green looks closer:
http://kcpinballshop.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/IMG_2182_1280x853.jpg

not sure which one you bought. I'm assuming water was cleaned out between tests? It almost looks like some blue dye bled into the green? Getting colors to match the original exactly could be tricky if not impossible with the limitations of dyes.

#337 3 years ago

The green I used was the plain green (#452) That was the only green I saw in their rack. Might be worth a test of the Kelly green as you never really know until you try if for exact color. Green was the only color I have tested so no chance of any leftovers...the others in the photo are colored acrylic ramps.

As far as the original green plastic, it could very well have been true green PETG....Just can't source that stuff domestically...unless you want to buy a couple thousand pounds of it!

The result above is extremely transparent if it doesn't look that way in the photo....I was very pleased with the transparency.

#338 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Just can't source that stuff domestically...unless you want to buy a couple thousand pounds of it!

How much is it in small quanities....non domestic?

#339 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

How much is it in small quanities....non domestic?

Nothing in any quantity available domestically. Must be ordered from overseas and they have minimum order amounts of probably in the neighborhood of at least 50 sheets.....can't imagine a demand for 600 ramps.

#340 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Might not be quite the right green for it.

Probably gonna have to mix colors to get the desired green.
http://www.dyes.com/plastics/keyplast-colorants#/product-lines/dyes/product/406-028-52

image_(resized).png

#341 3 years ago

More research and development lol

#342 3 years ago

The dyed ramp looks cool. I guess it might be a challenge to get a fairly consistent colour throughout a batch, or more so between batches? Good to see that it seems to work though

#343 3 years ago

Freeplay, How many people would you need to commit for this to be produced and will you need a master? I mentioned it awhile back here but we never talked numbers. I wanted to let people know in the WCS94 thread as I know myself and a few others are in need.

img_2831_(resized).jpg

#344 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Freeplay, How many people would you need to commit for this to be produced and will you need a master? I mentioned it awhile back here but we never talked numbers. I wanted to let people know in the WCS94 thread as I know myself and a few others are in need.

This is larger than I can do on my current set up. I am in the process of building a larger machine, but just takes time. Pretty sure I will do it once the new machine is running.

#345 3 years ago

Funhouse main ramps. Unobtanium right now.

#346 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

This is larger than I can do on my current set up. I am in the process of building a larger machine, but just takes time. Pretty sure I will do it once the new machine is running.

Excellent . I have let people know and there is interest so I have redirected them here

#347 3 years ago

Yeah, I'd be in for WCS ramp - both of the ramps, even.

#348 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I would also post some photos with a bulb or two behind it in a somewhat dark room to see how much line shines through it.

Request to see the dyed ramp with game lighting.... The ramp that I dyed is a rough cut Hurricane center ramp that is the early design, so used it as a test subject. I have a Hurricane on loan, however it does not work...not even GI....so I set the ramp in My F-14 and took two photos...one with flash and one without flash. Excellent transparency.

IMG_1144_(resized).JPG

IMG_1145_(resized).JPG

#349 3 years ago

Sweet!

#350 3 years ago

Have you done any scratch testing on the died ramp? What does it look like if scratched? How about after being cleaned with novus?

Question above was posted in another thread....

Perfect questions. Scratching has no affect on the color. The dye I am using completely penetrates the PETG....basically color all the way through it. I just took the first test piece and sliced off the end of the ramp to show that the color completely penetrates (see photo). So polishing is no problem. I also just ran a torch over it for those who like to flame polish and it acts just like the original clear PETG.

IMG_1146_(resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 3747 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 75.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside