Topic Stats

• 3,743 posts
  • 594 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by Ericpinballfan
  • Topic is favorited by 340 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 458 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

73452DDF-9DEB-434A-B010-008E44F5E6B3 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
received_434946987313828 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20191106_183142686 (resized).jpg
BCFDAD5F-9992-4B30-82F8-F249954DDA72 (resized).jpeg
A6D455C7-A027-4BFF-A53F-0923AC1DB65C (resized).jpeg
IMG_1578 (resized).JPG
5cbc34cfd8b096523e1c8b8fd0d7ef287e3eb5e6 (resized).png
IMG_1323 (resized).JPG
IMG_1101 (resized).JPG
IMG_1324 (resized).JPG
IMG_1255 (resized).JPG
IMG_1253 (resized).JPG
0E6F7F1F-B8A1-476C-A5AC-F9B6A8F359D9 (resized).jpeg
840A5C03-43F6-43CC-971A-7EEC3B9AAAFC (resized).jpeg
10BE131E-4362-49D1-8846-53AAC933D4DD (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 3743 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 75.
#3301 4 months ago

Nice!

#3302 4 months ago

Radical test forming....Perfect! Just waiting on the plastic now.

IMG_1468 (resized).JPGIMG_1469 (resized).JPG
#3303 4 months ago
Quoted from Fezlar:

I would love it if you done the y ramp for road kings, these are always yellow and cracked, I reckon you would sell a few.
Cheers
Paul

I’m in for a road kings y ramp

#3304 4 months ago

Looks great and one step closer to Black Rose ramps!

#3305 4 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Radical test forming....Perfect! Just waiting on the plastic now.[quoted image][quoted image]

Mad talent and dedication!

#3306 4 months ago

I was able to get my thick plastic order picked up today and got a couple formed. Those of you who have followed for a long time might recall I've mentioned that ramps can be formed either over a male mold or into a female mold. To me, this ramp was a no brainer that it should be done over a male mold, so that is what was done. Looking closely at the donor ramps I have, they were done into female molds. In this case doing a female mold results in the plastic drawn down into the mold and thinning as it stretches out to the lower inside edges. I suspect this is why they went with the very thick plastic. Guessing they used .187" material for the initial ramps. I used .177". By using a male mold, the form naturally results in thicker plastic at the bottom of the ramp (Uh, where the ball is) and most importantly at the two lower edges at the entrance. Both of the donor ramps failed at the entrance bottom edges. I've attached a photo of the donor ramp (Bondo stained) and the first completed ramp (Yes I got one formed today and one completed). Pictures aren't the best, but the plastic on the new ramp at that critical lower edge at the entrance is at least twice as thick as the original. I also increased the radius on the edges slightly for even greater strength.

IMG_1472 (resized).JPGIMG_1473 (resized).JPG
#3307 4 months ago

Oh, and here is a photo of the first completed ramp.

IMG_1471 (resized).JPG
#3308 4 months ago

I am IN as soon as you are ready. just LMk

#3309 4 months ago

I am meeting tomorrow morning with a local friend to test fit the Radical ramp.

#3310 4 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I am meeting tomorrow morning with a local friend to test fit the Radical ramp.

Sweet. I can’t remember if I signed up. I want one.

#3311 4 months ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Sweet. I can’t remember if I signed up. I want one.

You are on the list. I'll be honest that I do not think the current mold is correct. That said, since I have already purchased the thick plastic for this I will secure another donor ramp and fast track this one.

#3312 4 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

You are on the list. I'll be honest that I do not think the current mold is correct. That said, since I have already purchased the thick plastic for this I will secure another donor ramp and fast track this one.

thanks

All good. Perfection takes time.

#3313 4 months ago

+1 for a space shuttle ramp

#3314 4 months ago

@Freeplay40 - Nice job on the Tailslider ramp!

Here is a pic of the cutout section from the early ramps and the cover piece that was installed after the VUK was eliminated. You can see how thick that ramp is and how the original design had a ball dropping on the ramp.

TailsliderCutout (resized).jpgTailsliderCover (resized).jpg

#3315 4 months ago
Quoted from ruralcollector:

+1 for a space shuttle ramp

Not sure how many of us are dying for Space Shuttle as they are unobtanium and all of us who've replaced
the Playfield or done Hardtop are left with the original fragile as glass one. I'd even go with a 2part ramp as
they are rather large.

#3316 4 months ago

I always thought it'd be fun to do new Space Shuttle ramps from carbon fiber or kydex

-Hans

#3317 4 months ago

The problem with High Speed and Space Shuttle ramps is ABS shinney on both sides is no longer available. Kydex would work but be horribly expensive. I'm still trying to find a custom extruder to do the job.

#3318 4 months ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

The problem with High Speed and Space Shuttle ramps is ABS shinney on both sides is no longer available. Kydex would work but be horribly expensive. I'm still trying to find a custom extruder to do the job.

Kydex is pretty cool to work with. I made a couple dozen Cycle Jumps for Comet with Kydex.Forms very well. I've only seen it similar to ABS with a texture on one side. On a cost per ramp for High Speed, it really only adds about $10 in cost....small price to pay for indestructibility!

#3319 4 months ago

Why would it matter if it not shiny on the bottom? Better than a cracked one no?

#3320 4 months ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Why would it matter if it not shiny on the bottom? Better than a cracked one no?

I agree, but Larry's (Starship) desire is to match the stock original. While I made some Comet Cycle Jumps with Kydex, I still offer them in black ABS and leave the textured side down. I actually think it looks better than smooth.

#3321 4 months ago

If you have a list going, I don't even have a space shuttle, but I'd buy a kydex ramp anyway.

-Hans

#3322 4 months ago

Looking for a black rose whirl pool ramp if any one has one or willing to make one

#3323 4 months ago

Any chance of making Batman Forever ramps? I'm sure they're in the topic somewhere but I couldn't find it

#3324 4 months ago

The Radical ramp... First the bad news. As I feared, the mold provided to me is not correct to properly form the ramp. When the mold was made it was forced flat which affected the proper shape of the ramp. While I expect the ramp made from this form would fit in the game, the biggest issue I see is that at the end of the ramp, where the ball can fall off, that angle would be much greater resulting in the ball falling off much easier.

A big thank you to James (@fanofpinball). He is getting ready to go to CA Extreme this Friday and agreed to meet with me this morning so we could effectively assess the ramp I had made. As soon as I got there he got an emergency call to repair some high tech medical equipment. He still took the time to quickly pull his ramp out of his Radical. We discovered immediately that the shape of the one I had brought was not correct.

In the attached photo, you can see the two ramps side by side. The one I made sits flat on any surface and you can see that his original turns up at the end. Might seem minor, but this is a very big difference. So I cannot use the existing mold, nor can it be easily modified. If I had not already purchased the plastic for this, I would likely be tabling this ramp for future reproduction. But, since I have the plastic I am going to get this ramp re-molded as quick as I can.

IMG_1474 (resized).JPG
#3325 4 months ago

OK...That was the bad news. Here's the good news. Not only did fanofpinball loan me the Radical ramp in the photo above, but he also loaned me the lower left ramp. Going to mold it too. Anyone interested in that one? His is missing some plastic on the right side of the entrance to the ramp, so would appreciate it if anyone has one of these ramps with an intact entrance and could provide a photo

IMG_1475 (resized).JPG
#3326 4 months ago

Yup. I’m in for 1. It would be great if you sold the ramp cover for that lower ramp.

#3327 4 months ago
5E72E230-9799-48E4-84DA-82D9620A6E5B (resized).jpegD3291CCE-64EF-4ED5-9E1C-DB93EA9FEB55 (resized).jpeg
#3329 4 months ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

It would be great if you sold the ramp cover for that lower ramp.

I can do that. Made one of those for a local friend recently.

#3330 4 months ago

Where are you on Transporter?

#3331 4 months ago
Quoted from metal-mods:

Where are you on Transporter?

Finishing the molds.

#3332 4 months ago

Black belt???

#3333 4 months ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Black belt???

Getting close. Still finishing the mold. Just have a lot of molds right now to finish.....Black Belt (Actually two molds...one for the ramp and one for the ramp cover), three molds for The Transporter and now that I have to redo the Radical ramp mold, plus I am also going to make the lower left Radical ramp. Also slipped in a new mold for the Wabac ramp due to a crack.

#3334 4 months ago

sorry for your hassles with Radical, but THANKS fr making it happen!

I will take 2 of EVERY Radical ramp you make.

Hope you can do them all!!!

#3335 4 months ago

Will you be making the large right return ramp for Radical? And i would love the ramp cover for the lower ramp.

Love the Rocky and Bullwinkle ramp i got from you.

Cheers,

#3336 4 months ago

I'll also take two of every radical ramp or pieces you make. Someday I'll find a machine! I'm hoping the one that made it to CAX last year is there again.

#3337 4 months ago

I know a few guys need that right rear Radical ramp, no one seems to ask about that one

#3338 4 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I know a few guys need that right rear Radical ramp, no one seems to ask about that one

When I met with my friend to assess the fit of the first ramp I was doing we had just a few minutes to pull the ramps as he was called out to an emergency medical service call. It looked to me that there might be only one ramp that I could not do at this time. The right ramp appeared to be a two piece ramp...is that correct?

#3339 4 months ago
Quoted from Namnuta:

And i would love the ramp cover for the lower ramp.

I will make this as well.

#3340 4 months ago

Is there any plans for DM?

#3341 4 months ago

Please add me to the Radical list. I would be thrilled to get a complete set.

#3342 4 months ago

Any chance of Batman Forever ramps? They seem to be a good size. Not sure if making them green is a difficulty for you or not.

#3343 4 months ago
Quoted from dri:

Is there any plans for DM?

On my to do list. Actually have the donor ramps here.

Quoted from Skypilot:

Please add me to the Radical list. I would be thrilled to get a complete set.

On the list!

Quoted from Butch2099:

Any chance of Batman Forever ramps? They seem to be a good size. Not sure if making them green is a difficulty for you or not.

Probably at some point....Have not experimented with green yet.

#3344 4 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

When I met with my friend to assess the fit of the first ramp I was doing we had just a few minutes to pull the ramps as he was called out to an emergency medical service call. It looked to me that there might be only one ramp that I could not do at this time. The right ramp appeared to be a two piece ramp...is that correct?

The large "X" ramp has an extension piece at the lower right. You can see it in this post. It begins right above the flasher dome.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/radical-club-only-skaters-welcome/page/10#post-5128018

If the original mold does include 2 ramps I would suspect that this is the second ramp that it forms.

#3345 4 months ago

Just a teaser....

IMG_1476 (resized).JPG
#3346 4 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

It's one of the first ones for the new heater.

put me down for 2 for space shuttle ramps when they are done

#3347 4 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Just a teaser....[quoted image]

That looks Amazing!

#3348 4 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

That looks Amazing!

I thought you'd be the first to notice!

I also have both other pieces ready to form. The long narrow ramp is also doable right now. The larger ramp I might have a problem with due to the fact that I chose to do it on a male mold (original was done on a female mold). I chose to do it as a male mold for increased strength at the bottom of the ramp. The female mold results in very thin walls at the bottom of the ramp and certainly at the entrance. This leaves me with two options....reform as a female mold (really not my choice) or wait for the larger heater.

As I complete the ramps for Black Belt and Radical, I will be pausing new ramp development and focusing on the heater.

#3349 4 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

As I complete the ramps for Black Belt and Radical, I will be pausing new ramp development and focusing on the heater.

Nice! Getting closer to Comet time!

#3350 4 months ago

Freeplay40, I have not been following along very closely here. Great to see Radical ramps being made! When do you need to be on the list by? My game is in storage yet and I will get it and examine the ramps closely. I remember 1 ramp has a chunk out of it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 3743 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 75.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside