IMG_7483.gif
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 103.
#3151 4 years ago

I cant remember if I have read through the entire thread or not, so forgive me if this has already been asked or addressed but I don't believe it has. Has there ever been any thought on reproducing the ramps for Judge Dredd? There are very few replacement ramps out there in the wild and they are very hard to come by. When you can find a new one, it is usually the large ramp and is almost always overseas and very expensive. Depending on price, I would be in for a set or 2 (would definitely replace my old worn and cracked set and probably a second backup set) and I know there are plenty of other JD owners out that that have talked about wishing there were replacement ramps available. The smaller ramps are almost impossible to find.

#3152 4 years ago

I will consider the JD ramps. I'm at a point where I need to get a few things promised done. I'm in the middle of a last call GnR ramp run that turned out to be much bigger than I expected, but I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. The GnR ramp was delayed due to a large number of the G ramps being rejected by the quality control department. (uh, me). So I decided to rerun a bunch of the G ramps. I am anxious to put this run behind me as in comparison to a lot of other stuff I do, these are tough. I am notifying the GnR folks on my list starting today. I am currently out of plastic for the rest of the GnR run, but picking more up tomorrow....actually the last stuff my supplier has at the moment in this special thickness. The NW Pinball show begins on the 31st and I will be done with this run by then. Next up is to complete the molds for Black Belt and Transporter as I have promised those for a long time. That will clear the board on real commitments and I can focus on what I will do next along with the new heater. I'm really anxious to lighten my load so I can focus on the next ramps.

#3153 4 years ago

we as customers surely appreciate you`re "QC"

cant wait for the GnR ramps to arrive

#3154 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

that's going to be the prettiest hurricane west of the Mississippi!!! thanks again mark!

Red works! Told you Mark is the Man!
PLEASE post pic once installed.

#3155 4 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Still holding out for Grand Lizard and have ramps I can send, Mark! They would be so sweet in green!

Put me in for a set too!

#3156 4 years ago

Any plans for the who dunnit right ramp?
thnx

#3157 4 years ago

Judge Dredd would be great as well.

1 week later
#3158 4 years ago

Guns 'N Roses ramp update...

I believe everyone who had indicated interest has been contacted for ramps. At the moment I have just enough G ramps to cover everyone, but expect I will see some who no longer want them. R ramps will continue to be made on demand and at the moment I am short R ramps only because I am almost out of the thickness I use for these ramps and my supplier is out of this thickness. I actually have enough to cover everyone on the R ramps, but I do not want to make any more than I need since I'm short.

If you had indicated interest and did not hear from me let me know. There are already a couple Pinsiders that have not responded to the notification so I expect I will end up with 2 or 3 extra G ramps.

Please, those of you who have been notified that are no longer interested, let me know so I can whittle down the final list.

To all of you who ordered, thank you. Personally?...Whew!

Mark

#3159 4 years ago

Just got mine today
Great stuff Mark !!

#3160 4 years ago

I am desperately in need of a set new Black Rose ramps…..

WP_20190530_12_26_30_Rich (resized).jpgWP_20190530_12_26_30_Rich (resized).jpg

#3161 4 years ago

Mark: I still have Grand Lizard ramps to send you as a blueprint when you're ready.

I would also be onboard for Jokerz ramps...and they are a reasonable size.

#3162 4 years ago

Can I get a High Speed ramp?

#3163 4 years ago
Quoted from roshi:

Can I get a High Speed ramp?

Of course!....pm sent

1 week later
#3164 4 years ago

Got my GnR ramps today great job Mark thanks so much

#3165 4 years ago

How is your work on the larger heater progressing? Are you still thinking it'll be online this month? (At least that's what I seem to remember you saying awhile ago as a goalpost for the project.)

#3166 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Red works! Told you Mark is the Man!
PLEASE post pic once installed.

Havent got to installing ramp/ shopping game yet gonna be next project, but ive had several requests for pics, so...... you get the idea of how it will look
10872949-6543-4DB8-BD2C-C62C1073370B (resized).jpeg10872949-6543-4DB8-BD2C-C62C1073370B (resized).jpeg

1B7DB788-5B37-41B0-B01A-363355085189 (resized).jpeg1B7DB788-5B37-41B0-B01A-363355085189 (resized).jpeg856E6A61-B63D-4E4A-8508-76E5644A532C (resized).jpeg856E6A61-B63D-4E4A-8508-76E5644A532C (resized).jpeg
#3167 4 years ago
3002C8D7-0AB3-4D99-ABE9-15E57EC2D03C (resized).jpeg3002C8D7-0AB3-4D99-ABE9-15E57EC2D03C (resized).jpeg
#3168 4 years ago

Finally both GnR ramps arrived today, they got caught in costums, and had an extra customfee of 30$

they are absolutly wellmade and were packed perfectly, thanks Mark

one issue though...the bubblewrap left marks on both ramps, how to remove those marks? and the cover on the R ramps was cracked around all 3 holes due to overtightent screws
IMG_20190611_121827355 (resized).jpgIMG_20190611_121827355 (resized).jpg

#3169 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Havent got to installing ramp/ shopping game yet gonna be next project, but ive had several requests for pics, so...... you get the idea of how it will look
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

RED Hurricane ramp looks awesome!

#3170 4 years ago
Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

Finally both GnR ramps arrived today, they got caught in costums, and had an extra customfee of 30$
they are absolutly wellmade and were packed perfectly, thanks Mark
one issue though...the bubblewrap left marks on both ramps, how to remove those marks? and the cover on the R ramps was cracked around all 3 holes due to overtightent screws
[quoted image]

This is the second set that I have seen that has been damaged by excessive heat at some point in transit. Sending pm and we can chat.

#3171 4 years ago

Another request for both JP ramps. I am rebuilding my machine right now and it's a sad thing to put on these old, tired and broken ramps. Please!

#3172 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

This is the second set that I have seen that has been damaged by excessive heat at some point in transit. Sending pm and we can chat.

The issues are resolved privatly via PM, thank you Mark

#3173 4 years ago

Mark is a great guy too deal with happy flipping

#3174 4 years ago

So...I think I am actually catching my breath with ramps. Pretty much wrapped up the Guns' 'N Roses...I seriously doubt I will ever do those again! Focusing on just filling orders for existing stuff and working on the molds for Black Belt and Transporter. I have almost finished prepping the Blackbelt donor ramp for casting. Will probably hold off casting the Blackbelt until I get the Transporter ramps ready...btw...going to do all three of them. Once I have all of them cast, I will probably be taking some time off to enjoy a little summer in the mountains while the molds cure. I chose to set up the Blackbelt mold first 'cause it was a bitch!

You all know I get lobbied for ramps a lot. Over the past couple years I have pretty much promised certain ones that I have not gotten to yet. The hardest part and probably my least favorite, is making the molds. I did get a request for one of the ramps for Radical, and I explained that it just was not on any near term radar. He asked if it would help if he made the mold...uh, yeah. So we talked a few times and he took a shot at it. He sent it to me just a week or two ago. He did pretty well....probably 90% there for me. He worked on it a long time and said he never wanted to do that again. I spent today tweaking his handiwork and have it ready to form. Hoping to pull the first one tomorrow. Attached are two photos...How he sent it to me and how I modified it.
IMG_1454 (resized).JPGIMG_1454 (resized).JPGIMG_1455 (resized).JPGIMG_1455 (resized).JPG

#3175 4 years ago

Damn... I'd make a JP mold to send to you but the ramp is HUGE. Wonder what a thermoform place charges to just make molds.

#3176 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Damn... I'd make a JP mold to send to you but the ramp is HUGE. Wonder what a thermoform place charges to just make molds.

So, having been the one who did the mold above. I spent two years on that bondo monstrosity. Never, never again. Never ever again. It sucks, sucks hard. If I were to do it over I'd build a box and use some sort of pourable plaster. Then cut the shape that freeplay went with. I still have bondo all over my workbench, bondo dust galore. Just no.

#3177 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

So, having been the one who did the mold above. I spent two years on that bondo monstrosity. Never, never again. Never ever again. It sucks, sucks hard. If I were to do it over I'd build a box and use some sort of pourable plaster. Then cut the shape that freeplay went with. I still have bondo all over my workbench, bondo dust galore. Just no.

I wonder could you buy huge block of delrin material and CNC the delrin to make a mold?

#3178 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I wonder could you buy huge block of delrin material and CNC the delrin to make a mold?

So, knowing a machinist who is into pins, sure. Problem is you need the geometry. I originally looked to make a 3d model to print and then cover in bondo, but getting accurate measurements proved too much.

#3179 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

So, knowing a machinist who is into pins, sure. Problem is you need the geometry. I originally looked to make a 3d model to print and then cover in bondo, but getting accurate measurements proved too much.

I see your point. We purchased a JP over a year ago and of course the owner said the pin was in good shape and was just serviced. Well the ride home the fuse holder clips on power supply were crap and then we noticed one the pop bumpers would stop working. So I took it apart and noticed the subway ramp was in bad shape and the main ramp has cracked. With no ramps available it's time to purty this pig up and ship it.

#3180 4 years ago

So happy to see radical is starting!

Mark me down for two!

#3181 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Shit, that's what I assumed you did. I have no time either way right now but still interested in doing it since my JP ramp is now shit.

#3182 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

That would be me...

If I had the 3-d geometry, I could give it a try. It would be costly for the material if you were to go with Delrin, (Acetal).

#3183 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

So...I think I am actually catching my breath with ramps. Pretty much wrapped up the Guns' 'N Roses...I seriously doubt I will ever do those again! Focusing on just filling orders for existing stuff and working on the molds for Black Belt and Transporter. I have almost finished prepping the Blackbelt donor ramp for casting. Will probably hold off casting the Blackbelt until I get the Transporter ramps ready...btw...going to do all three of them. Once I have all of them cast, I will probably be taking some time off to enjoy a little summer in the mountains while the molds cure. I chose to set up the Blackbelt mold first 'cause it was a bitch!
You all know I get lobbied for ramps a lot. Over the past couple years I have pretty much promised certain ones that I have not gotten to yet. The hardest part and probably my least favorite, is making the molds. I did get a request for one of the ramps for Radical, and I explained that it just was not on any near term radar. He asked if it would help if he made the mold...uh, yeah. So we talked a few times and he took a shot at it. He sent it to me just a week or two ago. He did pretty well....probably 90% there for me. He worked on it a long time and said he never wanted to do that again. I spent today tweaking his handiwork and have it ready to form. Hoping to pull the first one tomorrow. Attached are two photos...How he sent it to me and how I modified it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

What was your thinking behind the modification? Does that somehow make it easier to finish after the pull?

#3184 4 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

What was your thinking behind the modification? Does that somehow make it easier to finish after the pull?

Couple things...Obviously we need angled edges all the way around for the form to release from the plastic. Also reduced overall size just to make the forming process easier. Last thing was there is a point on the inside turn of the ramp where the ramp wall stops and goes to the bottom...This transition point needed to be extended for a clean break.

#3185 4 years ago

I did get a Radical ramp formed today, however, some of the underlying Bondo was unstable and the plastic actually pulled some of it free. I will need to aggressively sand the entire mold and recoat it with a new layer of Bondo. Will end up completely grey when I am done. Probably a day, maybe two for me to fix it.

IMG_1457 (resized).JPGIMG_1457 (resized).JPG
#3186 4 years ago

Didn't take me long to change my mind. While the first pull wreaked havoc on the mold it formed nearly perfectly...just had to wash off some Bondo that stuck to the plastic. As I began sanding the mold I encountered some cracks in the mold so not confident I can continue and be as successful as I want. Not all is lost. I will use the first formed piece in the photo above to cast a ceramic tomorrow. This will insure we have a stable mold. Expect it will take 10-12 days to cure and then we should be good to go. Still many thanks to dung for the model. Once cured, it will only take maybe a day to finish the mold for forming. The fact that I too hate Bondo dust may or may not have had a role in this decision.

As my son and I brainstorm new design ramps we actually envision using CNC cut material to use for the first pull which then in turn is used to cast a final durable mold.

#3187 4 years ago

Efforts so appreciated Mark! I love hearing about the process. What kind of cnc cut material are you thinking, aluminum or steel? Or is that too expensive?

#3188 4 years ago

Not sure on the material, but not steel or aluminum and yes way too expensive, unless you are set up to do it already. My son has something in mind and I can't remember at the moment what it is. Contracting that out is very expensive and you still have to come up with the technical data to program it. Would make sense if you doing production like the old days where you were producing 10 to 20 thousand units. These days we have to consider only maybe 100 for runs at best and far fewer than that on some. While I do "runs" for new releases and some of the stuff I have already done like Guns 'N Roses (4 runs!), since I do everything, I can basically make ramps on demand. I really keep very little inventory. Making the molds is the hardest and most time consuming part. Even though I am actually going to recast what @dung did for me, he still did 80%-90% of the work. Forming is the easiest part and then finishing the ramps is a challenge as well and where you suffer the most losses. On the last run of GnR I threw out 26 G ramps.

#3189 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

On the last run of GnR I threw out 26 G ramps.

Wow that's a crazy amount of work.

#3190 4 years ago

@dung's Bondo ramp successfully and very nicely converted to ceramic.

IMG_1458 (resized).JPGIMG_1458 (resized).JPG
#3191 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

dung's Bondo ramp successfully and very nicely converted to ceramic. [quoted image]

Stunning guys, great work!

#3192 4 years ago

Happy Father’s Day Ramp Dad! Can you believe there was a time when you weren’t sure if making ramps was something you wants to do? Then the next time I saw you, you were deep into ramps! Thanks for showing me that making things was awesome when I was a kid.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#3194 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

[quoted image][quoted image]

With the Black Rose Whirlpool ramp a possibility in the near future I would be interested in helping do a mold for the main ramp. It might be to long for your current set up but if it takes as long to make a good mold it would hopefully get done by the time you have your larger rig ready and that way you could offer a set for BR, again with reproduction playfields hopefully available in the near future also and how much I personally Love BR I would give it a whirl since that is the main ramp I need for my personal pin.
Does the molding process damage the ramp used to make the mold? Mine is repaired but complete and functional, not sure though since it's repaired if it's a good candidate for molding.

#3195 4 years ago

Very possible to damage the ramp when making a mold. See photo below if Bondo is used to cast one. I do plan on doing the Whirlpool ramp fairly soon and I think I can do the other one as well. Can you measure the length of it?

IMG_1460 (resized).JPGIMG_1460 (resized).JPG
#3196 4 years ago

I chime in for Black Rose ramps also...as it is sitting next to me: the length of the left Black Rose ramp is about 49cm, nearly 20", excluded the ramp flaps.

WP_20190616_12_56_05_Rich (resized).jpgWP_20190616_12_56_05_Rich (resized).jpg

#3197 4 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

I chime in for Black Rose ramps also...as it is sitting next to me: the length of the left Black Rose ramp is about 49cm, nearly 20", excluded the ramp flaps.
[quoted image]

I can do that one with the current. Black rose is probably next up for me to do, so I will probably do both. At the moment, I am working on the molds for Black Belt, Transporter and we slipped in the one ramp for Radical that dung assisted with. The Radical ramp was cast a few days ago, the Black Belt ramp and the Transporter ramp cover were cast last night. I am working on the other two Transporter Ramps today. I hope to have those cast in just a couple days. Once those are all cast, they need to cure for 12-14 days. Once cured and finished I will produce all of them. Another game I want to work on is Demo Man. I can presently reproduce two of the three ramps. The third will require the new heater and will be one of the first ramps up when I get the heater done.

#3198 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I can do that one with the current. Black rose is probably next up for me to do, so I will probably do both.

We're ready for it, take our money!

#3199 4 years ago

I would hope that some of the original molds still exist.

Does someone currently own the ramp molds to these original games?
Will they share them with you or let you copy them?

Regardless glad to see someone making this happen on their own steam.
We appreciate all the time your putting into this. Wish there
were a few others that could help jump into the fray.

If I had the space for the machine or home made rig I'd be in.
I've been hoping 3d printing would evolve to the point we could
print some of these. For now my focus is PF resto.

#3200 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I can do that one with the current. Black rose is probably next up for me to do, so I will probably do both. At the moment, I am working on the molds for Black Belt, Transporter and we slipped in the one ramp for Radical that dung assisted with. The Radical ramp was cast a few days ago, the Black Belt ramp and the Transporter ramp cover were cast last night. I am working on the other two Transporter Ramps today. I hope to have those cast in just a couple days. Once those are all cast, they need to cure for 12-14 days. Once cured and finished I will produce all of them. Another game I want to work on is Demo Man. I can presently reproduce two of the three ramps. The third will require the new heater and will be one of the first ramps up when I get the heater done.

I have a Radical near you that could definitely use some fresh ramps

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.