Topic Stats

• 3,418 posts
  • 552 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by Freeplay40
  • Topic is favorited by 325 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 405 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1494 (resized).JPG
IMG_0497 (resized).JPG
IMG_1491 (resized).JPG
IMG_1490 (resized).JPG
557BF6D1-A787-4005-BB3F-9B2585EDACE3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1483 (resized).JPG
B6CCDCCC-BAFC-467A-94C7-8B8CBE62F7D0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1482 (resized).JPG
IMG_1481 (resized).JPG
IMG_1480 (resized).JPG
XnBG3wHyTWyy+57F8cZChQ (resized).jpg
IMG_1479 (resized).JPG
comet3.jpg
comet2.jpg
comet1.jpg
comet4.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 3418 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 69.
#251 3 years ago

I'm going to mention the center ramp for Who Dunnit as well.

#252 3 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

not a vac formed ramp

#253 3 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Quoted from Whysnow:

not a vac formed ramp

Yes the original was an injection molded ramp. The chances of this being made again are slim at best. If the original molds could be located the chances might be better, however, if the original molds cannot be found the chances are probably nil....

However.....I have discussed this with a friend locally and we are seriously going to take a stab at creating a vacuum formed replacement for this ramp.

#254 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Yes the original was an injection molded ramp. The chances of this being made again are slim at best. If the original molds could be located the chances might be better, however, if the original molds cannot be found the chances are probably nil....
However.....I have discussed this with a friend locally and we are seriously going to take a stab at creating a vacuum formed replacement for this ramp.

Doh!....and thanks.

#255 3 years ago

I have't checked-in a couple weeks. Exciting news about Hurricane center ramp. Just a few weeks from starting that one, pulled all the boards last week. Only sound card is worth saving. I have everything ready to go except that center ramp.

#256 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I have't checked-in a couple weeks. Exciting news about Hurricane center ramp. Just a few weeks from starting that one, pulled all the boards last week. Only sound card is worth saving. I have everything ready to go except that center ramp.

I'm mounting the mold in the machine now. Need to set up the plugs and should be able to form the first test early tomorrow!

#257 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I'm mounting the mold in the machine now. Need to set up the plugs and should be able to form the first test early tomorrow!

Sweet!! Your the man!

#258 3 years ago

First test of the Hurricane center ramp formed this morning. Went very well!

IMG_1116_(resized).JPG

#259 3 years ago

Amazing ! It is also amazing the excess plastic it takes. Looks like the hard part is cutting the ramp away from leftovers.
Clear is best on this one, no need to color.
Great work!!!!!

#260 3 years ago

The actual forming is the fun easy part for me. The hard parts are making the molds (this one took me over a month to get just right) and the finishing.

#261 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

The actual forming is the fun easy part for me. The hard parts are making the molds (this one took me over a month to get just right) and the finishing.

Looks like you must have a real knack for it! Fun thread to read. Pinball needs you.

Others have mentioned the crossover ramp in Transporter The Rescue. It is an injection molded ramp. I see this on ebay, which is a whitewater ramp it says. If it can be vacuum formed, I bet you could do a transporter crossover. PM me if you want to check one out

s-l1600_(resized).jpg

#262 3 years ago

I think alternatives to injection molding are very possible... However they would be certainly different than original. I'm working with a friend right now to see if we can come up with an acceptable version of the Elevator ramp for Who Dunnit. We think we can. Ultimately when I get the new machine running with everything I want on it, I will be able to do vacuum forming with pressure assist. With pressure assist greater detail can be achieved.

#263 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Amazing ! It is also amazing the excess plastic it takes. Looks like the hard part is cutting the ramp away from leftovers.
Clear is best on this one, no need to color.
Great work!!!!!

This could be formed in a shorter piece of plastic, but when I buy plastic, I buy full sheets cut to a certain dimension. This one happened to be basically 16" x 24" which nets me 12 pieces from a standard sheet.

#264 3 years ago

Hurricane Ramp update....will delay production by a few days

I have seen some subtle differences in ramps, but was very surprised today when I found a significant difference in two Hurricane ramps I now have in my possession. I modeled the new ramp after a ramp that was donated to me by pinster68. Dave Beecher with FAST Pinball has loaned me his Hurricane for test fitting. I removed Dave's ramp today as his was not as damaged as the one I received from pinster68. The one I got from pinster68 has a couple of the mounting tabs broken off and I wanted to get those properly "mapped". I discovered a very significant difference at the drop hole in the upper center of the ramp. Specifically is has to do with the position of the drop hole and its relation to where the ball will actually drop amongst the three pop bumpers.

The difference in the position of the drop hole is about 1/2"... Very significant. So I have two ramps so my odds of getting the right one were 50/50... Bummer...not so lucky.

I've attached a couple photos to demonstrate the difference just as info. I suspect that early in production with the first ramp (pinster86's) is that when the ball dropped through the hole it did not fall amongst the pop bumpers, but rather on the top lower edge of the upper bumper....pretty obvious when I position the two ramps in the game.

So I will be modifying the mold over the next couple days based on Dave's ramp. Nobody said it was going to be easy!

The first ramp is pinster68's and the second ramp is the one from Dave. I put a red line on the photos to show the difference. I think I'm going to widen the area where the drop hole is slightly so that the hole actually fits better.....kind of looks like it is crammed into the space.

IMG_1119_(resized).JPG
IMG_1120_(resized).JPG

#265 3 years ago

Here's another photo of one ramp on top of the other. Pinster68's ramp is on top and the correct one (Dave's) is below...

IMG_1121_(resized).JPG

#266 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Here's another photo of one ramp on top of the other. Pinster68's ramp is on top and the correct one (Dave's) is below...

Worth the wait... My ramp is like Pinster's, it drops the ball right on top of the pop bumper cap, hence a plastic was added to help defllect the ball to between the pop bumpers. The reality is that the mold you made would actually produce a correct part, as long as that "afterthought" goofy plastic was there. But I would rather have an improved version ramp that drops the ball in the correct spot.

s-l1600_(resized).jpg

#267 3 years ago

Will you guys make me buy my Hurricane back?

#268 3 years ago

Dave's was cleary an "upgrade". Basically it was just extended. I'm going to clean up some of the lines around this area. Found a small shortcut to get me closer quicker. I custom cut a piece of my mold material and cemented it in place. Now just need to let it set then clean up the lines. Want to get a new test ramp formed tomorrow morning. I will then cut one out manually to get the fit perfect.

#269 3 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

as long as that "afterthought" goofy plastic was there

Yeah, that would have been the Band-Aid to counter the problem with the earlier ramp already installed....sort of how I view the High Speed ramp cover which I designed out of mine.

#270 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Yeah, that would have been the Band-Aid to counter the problem with the earlier ramp already installed....sort of how I view the High Speed ramp cover which I designed out of mine.

Indeed, and the way they mounted that plastic is as half-assed as anything i've ever seen. But I wouldn't trade my early game for a later version, mine has the independently controlled, animated, lighted pop bumpers... My understanding is that the later games had NO lights in the pop bumpers at all!

#272 3 years ago

Oops lol

#273 3 years ago

Has anyone mentioned the subway ramp for data east Star Trek 25?

#274 3 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

Has anyone mentioned the subway ramp for data east Star Trek 25?

I think it has been mentioned. I don't know what it looks like off hand. Any chance someone could post a photo?

#275 3 years ago

I'm looking for swords of fury main ball shooter ramp thanks! Someone said you made some.

#276 3 years ago
Quoted from Caoliber01:

I'm looking for swords of fury main ball shooter ramp thanks! Someone said you made some.

Sending pm

#277 3 years ago

Not my picture but this is what it looks like

image_(resized).png

#278 3 years ago
Quoted from Djude:

I'd be interested in a Time Machine Starwarp ...

Time Machine - Starwarp ramp please. All of them are broken..

#279 3 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

Not my picture but this is what it looks like

I'll look into that one. I'll see if I can locate a donor locally.

Quoted from Barakawins1:

Time Machine - Starwarp ramp please. All of them are broken..

Getting several requests for this one so will look into it as well.

#280 3 years ago

Time machine yes. ..and from the looks of it everyone who owns time machine would want a replacement

#281 3 years ago

i am also in for the Time Machine Ramp

(and actually +3 for the upper right Hook ramp )

#282 3 years ago

Oh God yes. Please. +1 million for a Star Warp ramp for my TM. AND a backup or two. If you got the word out about it you'd sell to every single owner out there, I imagine. They are indeed almost all broken.

#283 3 years ago

Would a BTTF ramp be possible?

#284 3 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Would a BTTF ramp be possible?

Honestly, that one would be pretty far down the road...sorry.

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Put me down. for one....

#286 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Honestly, that one would be pretty far down the road...sorry.

#287 3 years ago

Took a day off to go up to some property in the mountains to cut down trees and burn stuff. Setting up now to form the corrected Hurricane center ramp. All goes well hope to post a finished form this evening. In addition to the entrance flap which will be installed, the ramp does have three metal pieces riveted to it. Expect options for this ramp will be new metal pieces riveted to the ramp or I will rivet your supplied pieces for free.

#288 3 years ago

Options are great, but won't lie. Fully populated center Hurricane ramp much easier to install!
I get all my boards back next week for Hurricane. Looking forward to putting this one back together.

#289 3 years ago

Just posted the first photos of a basically finished Hurricane center ramp. Started a thread specific to it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-hurricane-center-ramp#post-3202718

#290 3 years ago

I would be in for the Star Trek 25th subway too. Love the blue Space Station one I got from you...

#291 3 years ago

I asked about the subway ramp for STar Trek 25th in passing, but now I'm 100% in as I've got that machine coming tomorrow and unplayable until the ramp issue is solved. Going to try and rig something up in the interim.

#292 3 years ago

Every once in a while I get a bad batch of plastic. My supplier is usually pretty good about making it right. I had one red F-14 to get out so I formed one and finished it out last night. This morning I noticed a small bubble in the plastic and decided not to ship that one. I started off today forming the red again and each time I encountered the same bubbling in different degrees, so I stopped after the third one and contacted my supplier. Will go meet with them on Monday....I do have a couple pieces of red from another batch that is in a larger piece so I will cut it down and get the order covered.

The bad news is that I will be without red plastic for at least a couple weeks, uh, ... unless you guys would be OK with the quality of the ramp in the photo below..

IMG_1126_(resized).JPG

#293 3 years ago

Can I please join the big list of people that will want a Time Machine ramp please

#295 3 years ago

I would also like ramps for "Time Machine "

Milton

#296 3 years ago

I am in for the Time Machine ramp as well!

#297 3 years ago
Quoted from Milton187:

I would also like ramps for "Time Machine "
Milton

Curious, is your name really milton?

#298 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Curious, is your name really milton?

Milton187.... This being Milt.... Pretty heavy, hey dude?

#299 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

First test of the Hurricane center ramp formed this morning. Went very well!

Very nice!!

#300 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Put me down for a couple as well. Star war ramp that is.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Columbus, OH
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 3418 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 69.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside