IMG_7483.gif
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 103.
#2851 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

After I finish the Black Belt and Transporter ramps I'm thinking two of the Demo man ramps and also we could squeeze Whirlpool ramp.

Great news.

#2853 5 years ago

Demo man ramps will print money

#2854 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Demo man ramps will print money

So will that BR whirlpool ramp!

#2855 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Below is most of a post I made in another thread here on Pinside....Thought I'd put it here as it pertains to the TMNT ramp
athenspin was kind enough to send me some really nice photos of the TMNT ramp...Thank you very much. I have been lobbied a lot to do the ramp for Time Machine. The reason I haven't even tried yet is due to some very thin walls between 2 lanes on that ramp... Although not quite as bad, they are very similar to the walls between the lanes on the TMNT ramp. Both the Time Machine ramp and TMNT ramp are what is referred to as a female form...In other words, the mold looks pretty much like the actual ramp and the plastic is pulled down into it as opposed to a male mold where the plastic is pulled down over an inverted form of the ramp. So imagine the mold with fairly thin walls separating the lanes. The material I currently use for my molds is a ceramic. It would be difficult to cast the mold with thin walls like that (Even thinner and more curve on Time Machine) and not have them break when I tried to remove the original from the cast ceramic. Let's say that I did get a good cast. While the forming process itself generally won't damage a mold, I suspect that those walls in the form would certainly bust when trying to remove the plastic from the mold after forming. The mold for Time Machine would not withstand one pull. TMNT is not quite as bad, but I do not think I would even attempt it with a ceramic.
This was not a problem with the original manufacturing of this ramp as the original mold was no doubt made of solid aluminum. Given the relatively low volume production runs these days, it simply makes no economic sense to spend several thousand $$$ to have a mold made out aluminum. Starship Fantasy still uses the original molds for most of his ramps.
So can it be done? I am looking at another medium to make molds with...actually an aluminum impregnated epoxy. This might be strong enough for molds like the TMNT and possibly for Time Machine, but will it be smooth enough and can it be machined after cast for corrections. It's quite expensive so errors can get costly quick, but certainly a whole lot cheaper than having a mold cut from an aluminum Block! As far as Time Machine is concerned, I would certainly be more inclined to test a new mold medium on TMNT first.
Oh yeah...and I need the bigger heater. Added a photo below so you can see what I'm talking about with respect to the thin walls.[quoted image]

Noooooooooo. Hopefully you find a way one day

#2856 5 years ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

Noooooooooo. Hopefully you find a way one day

I think I will. I love a challenge!

#2857 5 years ago

its so awesome your doing this. so many games with broken and damaged ramps and not many options to fix them. I am excited about this. now we just need someone who does all the wire form ones.....but those mostly rust more the break.

#2858 5 years ago

I am down for Demolition Man ramps, sweet...

#2859 5 years ago

Center Ramp for Comet please!

#2860 5 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

Center Ramp for Comet please!

First one when the new heater is done.

#2861 5 years ago

I’d like to suggest the other BR ramp too as mine is broken worse than the whirlpool

#2862 5 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I’d like to suggest the other BR ramp too as mine is broken worse than the whirlpool

I could probably do both.

#2863 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I could probably do both.

Fantastic keep us posted

#2864 5 years ago

My center ramp in comet was the only thing NOT broken. LMK when you do TMNT

#2865 5 years ago

Hey Mark with your current setul are you able to reproduce the rocky and bullwinkle center ramp?

#2866 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Hey Mark with your current setul are you able to reproduce the rocky and bullwinkle center ramp?

I've only done the WABAC ramp so far....

IMG_1284 (resized).JPGIMG_1284 (resized).JPG
#2867 5 years ago

Have you got a chance to do any work on the Space Shuttle Ramps? Consider me presold I just completed playfield restore and made the best of the situation with ramps. Cabinet is next up and I will be prepping that in weeks to come.

Love to see any teasers or help in anyway.

#2868 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Have you got a chance to do any work on the Space Shuttle Ramps?

I second this. With Hard Tops on the market I would think we will start seeing a lot more Space Shuttle restorations.

#2869 5 years ago

Not yet on the Space Shuttle ramps. Will require the new heater. This ramp and the Comet center ramp will be the first ones I do.

#2870 5 years ago

Hope your new heater is on the way. I think many of us would help crowdfund. Not sure it would get your there.

#2871 5 years ago

Hey Mark any chance you have the blue and red Jackbot ramp done yet?

#2872 5 years ago

Fingers crossed on TMNT!!

#2873 5 years ago

Hope your new heater is on the way. I think many of us would help crowdfund. Not sure it would get your there.

I would be up for donation, need that big Demoman right ramp.

#2874 5 years ago

This is a great idea and a way that we can further support Mark's contribution to our hobby. What do you think Mark??

#2875 5 years ago

Freeplay, your'e gonna have a mutiny on your hands if you keep waiting on the larger heater.

#2876 5 years ago

I have 95% of what I need for the heater....it's just procrastination more than anything. While I appreciate the offers, I do not believe in crowd funding. Expense is mine and I would never ask or expect anyone to put up money.

#2877 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Freeplay, your'e gonna have a mutiny on your hands if you keep waiting on the larger heater.

Why do I get the feeling that would make you happy?...

#2878 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Mark any chance you have the blue and red Jackbot ramp done yet?

I have 6 ready to dye now (I do them 6 at a time). Will start the blue dye tomorrow and the red dye probably Friday...The red dye has a couple High Speeds going in tonight.

#2879 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I have 6 ready to dye now (I do them 6 at a time). Will start the blue dye tomorrow and the red dye probably Friday...The red dye has a couple High Speeds going in tonight.

Thanks Mark

#2880 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Why do I get the feeling that would make you happy?...

You just gotta be careful about expectations. Easy to get hopes up and get burned out.

#2881 5 years ago

Several people have mentioned that they want Mark to make the Black Rose whirlpool ramp. This guy is saying that he will be making this ramp.

Seller: Kevin James Bradley
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pinball4sale/permalink/2523983470961770/?sale_post_id=2523983470961770&rt=11
"I'll be doing a run of this Whirlpool ramp plastic replacement for Black Rose. Blue plexi engraved with the "Whirlpool" text. Also making slingshot protectors. Only doing one run, PM me if interested."

#2882 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

If there was enough interest I could do those....but not the artwork. Probably do them in clear then lobby PPS to reproduce the decals.

its just a clear flat piece riveted to a metal ramp, correct?

#2883 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

That's a quote from a very old post...What ramp were you referring to?

#2884 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Yes I think Bluespin is mistaken that guy is just making the top cover piece not the whole whirlpool ramp

edit : oops I thought you were talking about the post above you

#2885 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Several people have mentioned that they want Mark to make the Black Rose whirlpool ramp. This guy is saying that he will be making this ramp.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pinball4sale/permalink/2523983470961770/?sale_post_id=2523983470961770&rt=11
"I'll be doing a run of this Whirlpool ramp plastic replacement for Black Rose. Blue plexi engraved with the "Whirlpool" text. Also making slingshot protectors. Only doing one run, PM me if interested."

Might want to ask for clarification. Sounds like he is just making the cover for the Whirlpool ramp out of blue acrylic. If he is just making the cover and the slingshots, also ask what type of plastic the slingshots will be made of. You would not want, especially the slingshots, made with acrylic....probably wouldn't last a week.

#2886 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I confirmed with the seller that he is making the ramp cover and slingshots but not the ramp itself. The ramp cover will be acrylic and the slingshots will be petg.

#2887 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I confirmed with the seller that he is making the ramp cover and slingshots but not the ramp itself. The ramp cover will be acrylic and the slingshots will be petg.

Thanks for confirming. I have always made my own plastic protectors....rough cut then sand to desired shape. Here in the Seattle area we have a plastic store called Tap Plastics. About the only plastic they don't carry is PETG...Go figure. However, they have a nice bin full of scrap pieces of a variety of plastics that they sell by the pound. Every so often I go in and buy all the 1/8" Lexan (Polycarbonate)...this is what I make protectors with or clear covers for ramps. Yes the 1/8" is a little thick considering the nuts that hold the plastic and protector in place. For this I drill enough of an inset around each hole (underside) in the protector to make the nuts fit. And as opposed to PETG, the edges of Lexan can be polished....but given it's Lexan it takes some effort.

#2888 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Thanks for confirming. I have always made my own plastic protectors....rough cut then sand to desired shape. Here in the Seattle area we have a plastic store called Tap Plastics. About the only plastic they don't carry is PETG...Go figure. However, they have a nice bin full of scrap pieces of a variety of plastics that they sell by the pound. Every so often I go in and buy all the 1/8" Lexan (Polycarbonate)...this is what I make protectors with or clear covers for ramps. Yes the 1/8" is a little thick considering the nuts that hold the plastic and protector in place. For this I drill enough of an inset around each hole (underside) in the protector to make the nuts fit. And as opposed to PETG, the edges of Lexan can be polished....but given it's Lexan it takes some effort.

Mark, I have the use of my lasers at work. I can cut plastic protectors, and ramp covers. Just need the old one, or a template to digitize a program.

#2889 5 years ago
Quoted from Chynnalou:

Mark, I have the use of my lasers at work.

Wish I could say that.

#2890 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

That's a quote from a very old post...What ramp were you referring to?

that was from the fire ramps

#2891 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Demolition man is in the cards.

does that include the piece that the claw drops the ball onto, mine beat up and cracked... sadly can't seem to find that damn part anywhere.

not really a ramp per se, but it's the starting place for most of them.
P/N - A-18057

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/williams-parts/demolition-man/a-18057.html

51_010551_3 (resized).jpg51_010551_3 (resized).jpg
#2892 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

does that include the piece that the claw drops the ball onto, mine beat up and cracked... sadly can't seem to find that damn part anywhere.

We can take a look at that one also, provided it is not injection molded.

#2893 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

that was from the fire ramps

Also got a request today for the lift ramps for Fire!

#2894 5 years ago

Not ramp related, but can you make the curved plastic piece for LW3 that prevents airballs over the center targets?

#2895 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

We can take a look at that one also, provided it is not injection molded.

That'd be great! hopefully it's not injection molded then.

#2896 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Not yet on the Space Shuttle ramps. Will require the new heater. This ramp and the Comet center ramp will be the first ones I do.

If you have a list started for people that want SS ramps you can put me on it for sure. Thanks!

#2897 5 years ago

I'm in on

Demo Man ramps

Black Rose Whirl Pool ramp. I really need the main ramp on BR but I know that's to big right now, just hate the thought of folding up my BR till a main ramp gets made someday.

And of Course the Comet center ramp

So far of the ramps that can possibly be in que

#2898 5 years ago

While we are all on the ramp frenzy....bumping for Grand lizard ramps in smoke or green!

#2899 5 years ago

Grand Lizard in Green would be fantastic

#2900 5 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

While we are all on the ramp frenzy....bumping for Grand lizard ramps in smoke or green!

Quoted from Dicky:

Grand Lizard in Green would be fantastic

I intend to do Grand Lizard eventually...again ...bigger heater. Already have the original ramp here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/58?hl=lathroum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.