IMG_7483.gif
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider freeplay40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

1,284 posts in this topic match your search for posts by freeplay40. You are on page 4 of 6.
#2860 5 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

Center Ramp for Comet please!

First one when the new heater is done.

#2862 5 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I’d like to suggest the other BR ramp too as mine is broken worse than the whirlpool

I could probably do both.

#2866 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Hey Mark with your current setul are you able to reproduce the rocky and bullwinkle center ramp?

I've only done the WABAC ramp so far....

IMG_1284 (resized).JPGIMG_1284 (resized).JPG
#2869 5 years ago

Not yet on the Space Shuttle ramps. Will require the new heater. This ramp and the Comet center ramp will be the first ones I do.

#2876 5 years ago

I have 95% of what I need for the heater....it's just procrastination more than anything. While I appreciate the offers, I do not believe in crowd funding. Expense is mine and I would never ask or expect anyone to put up money.

#2877 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Freeplay, your'e gonna have a mutiny on your hands if you keep waiting on the larger heater.

Why do I get the feeling that would make you happy?...

#2878 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Mark any chance you have the blue and red Jackbot ramp done yet?

I have 6 ready to dye now (I do them 6 at a time). Will start the blue dye tomorrow and the red dye probably Friday...The red dye has a couple High Speeds going in tonight.

#2883 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

its just a clear flat piece riveted to a metal ramp, correct?

That's a quote from a very old post...What ramp were you referring to?

#2885 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Several people have mentioned that they want Mark to make the Black Rose whirlpool ramp. This guy is saying that he will be making this ramp.
Seller: Kevin James Bradley
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pinball4sale/permalink/2523983470961770/?sale_post_id=2523983470961770&rt=11
"I'll be doing a run of this Whirlpool ramp plastic replacement for Black Rose. Blue plexi engraved with the "Whirlpool" text. Also making slingshot protectors. Only doing one run, PM me if interested."

Might want to ask for clarification. Sounds like he is just making the cover for the Whirlpool ramp out of blue acrylic. If he is just making the cover and the slingshots, also ask what type of plastic the slingshots will be made of. You would not want, especially the slingshots, made with acrylic....probably wouldn't last a week.

#2887 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I confirmed with the seller that he is making the ramp cover and slingshots but not the ramp itself. The ramp cover will be acrylic and the slingshots will be petg.

Thanks for confirming. I have always made my own plastic protectors....rough cut then sand to desired shape. Here in the Seattle area we have a plastic store called Tap Plastics. About the only plastic they don't carry is PETG...Go figure. However, they have a nice bin full of scrap pieces of a variety of plastics that they sell by the pound. Every so often I go in and buy all the 1/8" Lexan (Polycarbonate)...this is what I make protectors with or clear covers for ramps. Yes the 1/8" is a little thick considering the nuts that hold the plastic and protector in place. For this I drill enough of an inset around each hole (underside) in the protector to make the nuts fit. And as opposed to PETG, the edges of Lexan can be polished....but given it's Lexan it takes some effort.

#2889 5 years ago
Quoted from Chynnalou:

Mark, I have the use of my lasers at work.

Wish I could say that.

#2892 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

does that include the piece that the claw drops the ball onto, mine beat up and cracked... sadly can't seem to find that damn part anywhere.

We can take a look at that one also, provided it is not injection molded.

#2893 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

that was from the fire ramps

Also got a request today for the lift ramps for Fire!

#2900 5 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

While we are all on the ramp frenzy....bumping for Grand lizard ramps in smoke or green!

Quoted from Dicky:

Grand Lizard in Green would be fantastic

I intend to do Grand Lizard eventually...again ...bigger heater. Already have the original ramp here.

#2909 5 years ago
Quoted from cooke:

Due to demand, I've ordered 10 more sets of the two Rufio ramp decals. My costs have increased slightly, so they're now $12 USD including shipping within North America. I should have them in stock next week. PM me and I'll send my paypal info if you're interested in acquiring a set.
Once again, they're printed in reverse on clear and backed with translucent vinyl. They're not die cut, so they need to be trimmed by hand right to the edge of the image. Takes about 5 minutes and looks great on Freeplay40's new ramps.

Above was posted in the New Rufio Ramp thread...

#2911 5 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Has the plastic ramp for Secret Service ever been mentioned or considered

I don't recall that one being requested or at least not a lot. Would look good in either red or blue.

#2918 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimstalvey:

Another vote for Jokerz, any intentions on making the right & left ramps?

If I made them it would be without the decals....

#2920 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

is the whirlwind lift ramp the same as fire lift ramp

No, but actually discussing this with another Pinsider now. It is very similar to the Pinbot/Jackbot lift ramp with what appears to be just a difference in the upper bridge flap.

#2925 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Has the Road Kings main Y ramp ever been brought up? So many of those are broken, not sure if it's to big also.

Don't recall that one being brought up before. Can consider at a later date for the larger setup.

#2930 5 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Is the skill shot ramp for jackbot and pinbot the same? A clear or tinted one would really brighten up the game and it would be neat to see the ball going around in there.

I believe they are the same, however that is an injection molded piece...not vacuum formed.

2 weeks later
#2942 5 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

can you also offer assembly service for High Speed or do you require parts from the old ramp? or do you have these parts available?
cheers
Trevor

I do offer assembly for High Speed, but unfortunately, I do not have the extra parts available. BTW, I finished your red F-14 last night with the extra set of hardware I have for it!

#2944 5 years ago
Quoted from apiontek:

Hello, I am looking for the G ramp for my GNR, any chance anybody is still making these, I see that Freeplay40 was, wondering if he still is. Thanks

I have pretty much promised another Pinsider in Australia that I would do another run of G ramps this Spring. Do you want me to add you to the list?

#2947 5 years ago
Quoted from apiontek:

Yes [lease that would be awesome, thank you.

On the list

#2949 5 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Are you doing yellow G Ramps?

I will do another small run of the yellow G ramps. Also make the R ramp. Want to get on the list?

#2953 5 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Interested in a yellow G Ramp

Added to the the list.

#2954 5 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

I'd be interested in both G and R ramps

On the list

Quoted from apiontek:

I would take an R ramp also please. Thank You

Noted!

#2956 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Ill throw in a Black Rose bump!

I think this might be one I slip into the queue soon. I looked at the manual for the playfield parts and it appears the left ramp to the cannon is two pieces. If so, I can probably do both.... or all three.

On another note, last night on Craig's List a guy was giving away a model of the Black Rose pirate ship...free. There was a Coke can in the photo for scale...Looked like it would have made a perfect topper.

#2959 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Transporter!????

I have said more than once that Black Belt and the Transporter ramps will be the next I produce. Relax.

#2967 5 years ago
Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

Ours is smashed, I’d be in for the Road King’s Y ramp.

Will consider it when the new heater is done.

#2970 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

This was 6 months ago and i still don’t see these WCS ramps on their website. Any knowledge of if they will be available or if you’re able to make them?

I won't be making them. Would be duplication of effort and the community would be better served if we try not to do that. That said Larry just posted somewhere here on Pinside that he has the ramps and is still waiting on vendors...I think it was the decals.

#2972 5 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Recently picked up a Mousin' Around without the center ramp. If I can't manage to find an original in good shape, I'd definitely buy one from you if you ever make it. Do you think there's any chance you will?

Never say never...but not anytime real soon. So many others already committed to.

#2975 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I was on the RFM thread and a request for the clear shield that covers the ball trap came up. I think someone had one NOS for sale, otherwise it is unobtainium. You can't play RFM if the shield is broken. It's a clear piece that is rectangular with one angled bend. It looks like it would be fairly simple to form and make compared to what you are doing and I'm guessing a lot of RFM owners would buy one just to have a spare. Just an idea.
If you are interested, I can forward a pic of the piece. It's very small compared to a ramp.

Sure. Shoot me a photo. Either here or to [email protected]

Mark

#2976 5 years ago

Couldn't resist posting this photo. Pretty sure this is my biggest single order so far. Off to Australia tomorrow.

IMG_14302 (resized).JPGIMG_14302 (resized).JPG
#2982 5 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Is there a list for Space Shuttle or are you waiting until the bigger heater is ready?
Thanks!

I have not started a list yet.

#2986 5 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Thanks Mark, really looking forward to receiving these, they are really a work of art, I might even just hand them on my wall and just look at them, lol.....
cheers

Since I mostly make stuff on demand, I never have anywhere near a complete inventory. So I took a quick tally of what I make that is not in that photo..

Space Station
Genesis
WWFRR
Heavy Metal Meltdown
Swords of Fury
Strange Science
Guns n' Roses
DE Star Trek subway
Rocky and Bullwinkle WABAC
Hook Rufio
Doctor Who Time Expander
Jackbot main blue/red ramp...….Paul...it's cut out and just needs to be finished!

Now I want to make one of everything so I can take picture of all of them!

#2993 5 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Not a ramp - but the dome on top of Tee'd Off? Also used on Bone Busters?

Maybe someday

#2995 5 years ago
Quoted from dpapclare:

Hi there, I was looking at your work and it's amazing stuff! Was wondering if you have ever done a Police Force center ramp?

Police Force ramps are available at Starship Fantasy. If you just want the center ramp, he only offers that one in the two ramp set.

#2998 5 years ago
Quoted from fane:

freeplay40 , could you help me for frankenstein ramp ?

Sorry...years away at best.

#3001 5 years ago
Quoted from fischermj74:

Hi, I'd be interested in "DE Star Trek 25 – Subway ramp $98 with all hardware" version, please and Thank You

Sending pm

#3004 5 years ago

About a week ago I saw a post by Dayhuff……

"Looking for the acrylic part # 03-10008 that catches the ball in RFM. Mine is broken and makes the game unplayable. I'll take new or used as long as it's in good condition. HELP!!"

If I see something that I think I can pretty easily help with, I like to try. I asked John to send me the pieces he had from the broken RFM ball catcher and I would try to make him a replacement. I think this will work for him...

RFMDayhuff (resized).JPGRFMDayhuff (resized).JPG
#3010 5 years ago

Transparent orange Cork Screw ramps back in stock tomorrow. Also have the transparent red Cycle Jump ramp available and the black ABS Cycle Jumps will be made on demand.

IMG_1353 (resized).JPGIMG_1353 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#3016 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Any chance of a Getaway U turn ramp thingie?

I'm not familiar with that ramp.

#3018 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Isn’t that a metal ramp?

That was my first thought....

#3024 5 years ago

Hollywood Heat has been requested several times and it's right up my alley given the size and the color, so chances are good for it. Also a lot of requests for Jokerz, but I think it will need to wait for the bigger heater.

#3025 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

U turn ramp COVER thingie, my bad I missed a word. The plastic that covers the U turn takes a beating from balls going airborne from the "Super Charger" My plastic is dented in so bad its actually curved in. Im amazed its not cracked through. I can take a picture if you'd like. Was just an idea, I know you cant do TMNT ramps cause they are too big so I was thinking of small pieces that would be great to have.

Is that the piece in the upper left corner?

#3031 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Yes, top left corner
[quoted image]

Not something I'm real interested in doing, but I will help/coach anyone on how easy it would be to do yourself. PM me.

#3033 5 years ago
Quoted from Les73gtx:

Any possibility of making that one?

Never say never!

#3037 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

When this happens Mark will that include the ramp flap and the sticker?

Nice try... Actually as we get closer I will try to work something out with Planetary. I did check Bay Area Amusements' site and they do show the decal, but out of stock.....So I would assume the artwork is available.

2 weeks later
#3055 5 years ago

OK...Let's please put an end to this discussion now. Yes, initially I found it a little rude and thanks to those defending me as well as the overall discussion. If anything I would appreciate heads up private communications....but its a free world and I have no right to dictate what and where comments can be posted. In the end, the important thing is that the community gets more reproduction parts to restore games. There are more ramps needed than I or Starship Fantasy could possibly make in ten years.

Don't expect me to hand you ramp making on a silver platter...mostly because I just don't want to expend the time and I seriously doubt that very many would actual produce something. Secondly, because not just anyone can do this. I've said many times that it is not rocket science, but more of a art. If I see you bringing ramps to production...point here being you have demonstrated the ability and the initiative, I would be happy to spend the time to help you and I will support you. I have done this for a few others here on Pinside. I often refer folks to Starship if I know Larry has something needed in stock. If he doesn't stock something and has no intention of doing so, he will send them my way.

Some of you may recall a few years back a guy trying to make the center ramp for Comet (yes it will be the first one I do when I get the heater built). Although he said he had access to a industrial forming machine and a friend proficient with molds I could see he desperately needed help. We exchanged just a few messages and then he just disappeared. I've seen quite a few of these attempts just go no where... So, clearly not everyone will be successful at this.

So let's get back to having fun with Pinball machines....

#3059 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

When is that Godzilla Ramp getting done?

Ooooohhh….Green...Haven't done a good green yet.

#3067 5 years ago

Ahhh...I've been somewhat distracted from ramps for the last couple months and just filling orders for the ramps I already make. As far as near term plans.... Focus is now on the Transporter ramps and the Black Belt ramps. As soon as I have those molded they will need to cure for up to two weeks. During that time I will be doing one more run of Guns n' Roses (Sort of promised a guy from down under that I would do a run in the Spring). I think I have about a dozen folks listed for those.

And of course the new heater. I have almost all of the parts I need for the heater...yes I have had those parts for a long time I had a stainless steel heater panel made by a local company that is already slotted to accept the ceramic heater panels I have. I need to design and build the structure on my new machine that will carry and allow movement of the panel over the plastic. As soon as I have the panel installed and wired, I will likely do the Comet center ramp by heating on the new machine and forming it on my existing machine. Hoping to get started on the bigger stuff before I actually finish my new machine.

#3071 5 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Is there any setup/tweak tips you can recommend?

Generally the plunge shot doesn't scream around the ramp like the upper flipper will do...Sometimes if I'm be lazy I don't even get up the ramp or fall into one of the wire forms. High Speed requires a "red" shooter spring which is the strongest. Other than that, the only things I can think of for you is to be sure the plastic sleeve in the shooter housing (Just like a coil sleeve, but narrower) is in good shape and not binding at all. Another would be to see if the plunger is striking the ball good an squarely.. Is the game angle too steep? Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express?

#3077 5 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I have a question about your time expandor plastic. Its thicker than original. Will the studs still have enough thread?

Have not heard that is an issue.

#3081 5 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

Waiting on the Comet center ramp... any idea what price on these will be?

Don't really like to predict until I actually make it, but if I had to guess I'd say $120-$130

Quoted from arcademan1:

what about sega independence day

Don't recall any other requests for those...Certainly not anytime soon by me. Low production and low requests not favorable to reproduction.

1 week later
#3086 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_McGrew:

Do you sell just the center ramp cover for the Hurricane?

Not normally but I will. I don't see where you live. If there is a Lowes near you, you could buy a small piece of Lexan (polycarbonate) and make your own. Rough cut to the shape (fine blade like a hack saw) and then finish it with Dremel sanding drums. Drill holes slowly.

If you want it from me....$20 shipped.

#3089 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Any pictures on a Transporter ramps molds or anything. Dying to see some I candy !

Been terribly sidetracked for a while now with other stuff I just couldn't put off. Refocusing now.

#3091 5 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Also interested in ramp for transporter (already have the crossover)

Added to the list.

#3094 5 years ago

I promised Pinsider alpha70 that I would do another run of Guns 'n Roses this Spring. I posted a note in the GnR club thread but thought I should post here too. In the next two weeks I will do one last run of the GnR ramps.

G ramp includes entrance flap and exit bracket. Does not include decal. Trap door mechanism would need to be transferred from the old ramp to the new ramp. Price $155 Note on the main decal. I was able to easily remove the decal with Goo Gone and then re-glue to the new ramp.

R ramps is complete. New entrance flap, new switch bracket, new exit bracket and new Lexan cover. Price is $125
If interested in one or both, let me know and I will add you to the list.

IMG_1315 (resized).JPGIMG_1315 (resized).JPG
#3100 4 years ago

LOL! You have to ask yourself, how could that happen! Working with ReadyPO we actually did 2 traces on this package. I personally believe that the US Post Office was just hoping no one would trace and they could sweep it under the rug....or maybe in this case under the truck again. I'll bet they were happy they didn't have to get a signature!

In defense of the Post office, I ship everything USPS both domestically and internationally, unless a customer requests something different. In all the stuff I have shipped they have never lost anything...even my International stuff that I usually get in a box small enough to go regular mail. As far as actual damage beyond use....has only happened once and that was my fault for not packaging well enough....maybe one other time and the Post Office said it was likely due to my boxes being very light and the mechanical mail sorter being some sort of gorilla.

All's well that ends well!

#3104 4 years ago
Quoted from GBSouth:

Hey, have you ever thought of doing the Y-Ramp for Road Kings?

Haven't considered that one yet, sorry.

#3109 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Can I still get a space station ramp?

Yes...Sending pm.

#3110 4 years ago

Sun came out and it's been a while since I've had a ramp photo on the hot tub. Eye candy for the folks on the GNR list. Going to make just a few more G ramps then give last call. I will start finishing them tomorrow and expect I'll start shipping on Monday or Tuesday.

IMG_1444 (resized).JPGIMG_1444 (resized).JPGIMG_1445 (resized).JPGIMG_1445 (resized).JPG
#3114 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I LOVE seeing pictures of you ramps in the sunlight. Soooooooo colorful.

@MustangPaul, me and the hot tub photos go wayyyyy back.

#3119 4 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Do you have any Star Trek 25th subways? I could use one.

Yup

#3122 4 years ago

I have Demo Man ramps here from a friend...Waiting for the new heater.

#3125 4 years ago
Quoted from trumpy:

DO YOU HAVE / CAN YOU MAKE , THE PIECE THE CLAW DROPS BALL ON TO . ASKED BEFORE ABOUT IT, sorry about capitals

I'm sure I can, but would prefer to do it in conjunction with the other ramps.

#3127 4 years ago

Why not! I had expected this to be a modest run to clean up those I had missed over the last couple years. Turning out to be a very large run. I am just starting to ship orders as I complete sets. I have the bulk of the ramps already formed and dyed and as orders keep coming, I've decided I will keeping making some until there are no more orders. The GnR ramps are a lot of work and I really want to put this run behind me.

So, that said....You are on the list!

#3130 4 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

I’ve been MIA for a bit so I apologize if this has been
discussed. Could your setup be used to recreate the diner coffee
cup?

Sorry, no. That is an injection molded piece….not vacuum formed.

#3135 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

have you made this one mark?

Yes, I still offer the Hurricane center ramp with cover. I've only produced it in clear so far but could do it in red, blue or yellow.

#3143 4 years ago
Quoted from J67ab:

Mark have you done the ramp to Jokerz before? Any plans for a run?

Nothing yet and no plans in the near future.

#3144 4 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Is Black Belt still coming up?

Yes definitely. I was hoping to have them ready by the NW Pinball Show so I could return the donor's ramp plus a new one. Might still be possible, but this GnR run is killing me!

#3147 4 years ago

Custom request...one of a kind!

IMG_1450 (resized).JPGIMG_1450 (resized).JPG
#3152 4 years ago

I will consider the JD ramps. I'm at a point where I need to get a few things promised done. I'm in the middle of a last call GnR ramp run that turned out to be much bigger than I expected, but I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. The GnR ramp was delayed due to a large number of the G ramps being rejected by the quality control department. (uh, me). So I decided to rerun a bunch of the G ramps. I am anxious to put this run behind me as in comparison to a lot of other stuff I do, these are tough. I am notifying the GnR folks on my list starting today. I am currently out of plastic for the rest of the GnR run, but picking more up tomorrow....actually the last stuff my supplier has at the moment in this special thickness. The NW Pinball show begins on the 31st and I will be done with this run by then. Next up is to complete the molds for Black Belt and Transporter as I have promised those for a long time. That will clear the board on real commitments and I can focus on what I will do next along with the new heater. I'm really anxious to lighten my load so I can focus on the next ramps.

1 week later
#3158 4 years ago

Guns 'N Roses ramp update...

I believe everyone who had indicated interest has been contacted for ramps. At the moment I have just enough G ramps to cover everyone, but expect I will see some who no longer want them. R ramps will continue to be made on demand and at the moment I am short R ramps only because I am almost out of the thickness I use for these ramps and my supplier is out of this thickness. I actually have enough to cover everyone on the R ramps, but I do not want to make any more than I need since I'm short.

If you had indicated interest and did not hear from me let me know. There are already a couple Pinsiders that have not responded to the notification so I expect I will end up with 2 or 3 extra G ramps.

Please, those of you who have been notified that are no longer interested, let me know so I can whittle down the final list.

To all of you who ordered, thank you. Personally?...Whew!

Mark

#3163 4 years ago
Quoted from roshi:

Can I get a High Speed ramp?

Of course!....pm sent

1 week later
#3170 4 years ago
Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

Finally both GnR ramps arrived today, they got caught in costums, and had an extra customfee of 30$
they are absolutly wellmade and were packed perfectly, thanks Mark
one issue though...the bubblewrap left marks on both ramps, how to remove those marks? and the cover on the R ramps was cracked around all 3 holes due to overtightent screws
[quoted image]

This is the second set that I have seen that has been damaged by excessive heat at some point in transit. Sending pm and we can chat.

#3174 4 years ago

So...I think I am actually catching my breath with ramps. Pretty much wrapped up the Guns' 'N Roses...I seriously doubt I will ever do those again! Focusing on just filling orders for existing stuff and working on the molds for Black Belt and Transporter. I have almost finished prepping the Blackbelt donor ramp for casting. Will probably hold off casting the Blackbelt until I get the Transporter ramps ready...btw...going to do all three of them. Once I have all of them cast, I will probably be taking some time off to enjoy a little summer in the mountains while the molds cure. I chose to set up the Blackbelt mold first 'cause it was a bitch!

You all know I get lobbied for ramps a lot. Over the past couple years I have pretty much promised certain ones that I have not gotten to yet. The hardest part and probably my least favorite, is making the molds. I did get a request for one of the ramps for Radical, and I explained that it just was not on any near term radar. He asked if it would help if he made the mold...uh, yeah. So we talked a few times and he took a shot at it. He sent it to me just a week or two ago. He did pretty well....probably 90% there for me. He worked on it a long time and said he never wanted to do that again. I spent today tweaking his handiwork and have it ready to form. Hoping to pull the first one tomorrow. Attached are two photos...How he sent it to me and how I modified it.
IMG_1454 (resized).JPGIMG_1454 (resized).JPGIMG_1455 (resized).JPGIMG_1455 (resized).JPG

#3184 4 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

What was your thinking behind the modification? Does that somehow make it easier to finish after the pull?

Couple things...Obviously we need angled edges all the way around for the form to release from the plastic. Also reduced overall size just to make the forming process easier. Last thing was there is a point on the inside turn of the ramp where the ramp wall stops and goes to the bottom...This transition point needed to be extended for a clean break.

#3185 4 years ago

I did get a Radical ramp formed today, however, some of the underlying Bondo was unstable and the plastic actually pulled some of it free. I will need to aggressively sand the entire mold and recoat it with a new layer of Bondo. Will end up completely grey when I am done. Probably a day, maybe two for me to fix it.

IMG_1457 (resized).JPGIMG_1457 (resized).JPG
#3186 4 years ago

Didn't take me long to change my mind. While the first pull wreaked havoc on the mold it formed nearly perfectly...just had to wash off some Bondo that stuck to the plastic. As I began sanding the mold I encountered some cracks in the mold so not confident I can continue and be as successful as I want. Not all is lost. I will use the first formed piece in the photo above to cast a ceramic tomorrow. This will insure we have a stable mold. Expect it will take 10-12 days to cure and then we should be good to go. Still many thanks to dung for the model. Once cured, it will only take maybe a day to finish the mold for forming. The fact that I too hate Bondo dust may or may not have had a role in this decision.

As my son and I brainstorm new design ramps we actually envision using CNC cut material to use for the first pull which then in turn is used to cast a final durable mold.

#3188 4 years ago

Not sure on the material, but not steel or aluminum and yes way too expensive, unless you are set up to do it already. My son has something in mind and I can't remember at the moment what it is. Contracting that out is very expensive and you still have to come up with the technical data to program it. Would make sense if you doing production like the old days where you were producing 10 to 20 thousand units. These days we have to consider only maybe 100 for runs at best and far fewer than that on some. While I do "runs" for new releases and some of the stuff I have already done like Guns 'N Roses (4 runs!), since I do everything, I can basically make ramps on demand. I really keep very little inventory. Making the molds is the hardest and most time consuming part. Even though I am actually going to recast what @dung did for me, he still did 80%-90% of the work. Forming is the easiest part and then finishing the ramps is a challenge as well and where you suffer the most losses. On the last run of GnR I threw out 26 G ramps.

#3190 4 years ago

@dung's Bondo ramp successfully and very nicely converted to ceramic.

IMG_1458 (resized).JPGIMG_1458 (resized).JPG
#3195 4 years ago

Very possible to damage the ramp when making a mold. See photo below if Bondo is used to cast one. I do plan on doing the Whirlpool ramp fairly soon and I think I can do the other one as well. Can you measure the length of it?

IMG_1460 (resized).JPGIMG_1460 (resized).JPG
#3197 4 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

I chime in for Black Rose ramps also...as it is sitting next to me: the length of the left Black Rose ramp is about 49cm, nearly 20", excluded the ramp flaps.
[quoted image]

I can do that one with the current. Black rose is probably next up for me to do, so I will probably do both. At the moment, I am working on the molds for Black Belt, Transporter and we slipped in the one ramp for Radical that dung assisted with. The Radical ramp was cast a few days ago, the Black Belt ramp and the Transporter ramp cover were cast last night. I am working on the other two Transporter Ramps today. I hope to have those cast in just a couple days. Once those are all cast, they need to cure for 12-14 days. Once cured and finished I will produce all of them. Another game I want to work on is Demo Man. I can presently reproduce two of the three ramps. The third will require the new heater and will be one of the first ramps up when I get the heater done.

#3203 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I would hope that some of the original molds still exist.
Does someone currently own the ramp molds to these original games?
Will they share them with you or let you copy them?
Regardless glad to see someone making this happen on their own steam.
We appreciate all the time your putting into this. Wish there
were a few others that could help jump into the fray.
If I had the space for the machine or home made rig I'd be in.
I've been hoping 3d printing would evolve to the point we could
print some of these. For now my focus is PF resto.

There are original molds still in existence for many games. When Pinball Inc sold to Fantasy Pinball, a significant portion of the purchase was for the molds. Rick at Planetary still occasionally resurrects an original mold. Seems most of the molds still in existence are for Bally/Williams games. The original molds were monstrosities designed for large production runs and not suitable for a non-commercial forming machine and they did not have CNC back I the day so often there are jigs associated to the ramps to facilitate the cut-out. These days, even the production runs for new games pales in comparison to the runs of ~20k games likes Adam's Family. Creating a mold out of solid aluminum would simply be cost prohibitive with the demand these days. I do this because I like to and frankly because the community needs these.

I just received an email from dung saying he was disappointed that his mold only made it through one run...I've been there and I have at least two ramp molds made of Bondo and wood that I still use. Not as durable as the steel reinforced ceramic I use, but still an effective medium. Last night I cast a mold for Black Belt. The donor ramp was actually a prototype yellow one. This is clearly one of the very first formed Black Belt ramps formed as the finish on that ramp is frankly horrible indicating that is was made out of something soft in the game design phase. When I say the finish is horrible, the ramp itself has a very rough finish so is not clear as we would expect. Will require the entire mold surface to be smoothed before I can mold them. The one form I got from the mold dung provided yielded an almost perfect specimen and will require very minor finishing. The process I just went through with dung greatly accelerated a ramp to production.

So, you CAD guys out there....Can you scan a ramp then CNC it out of wood-like medium? Scanning would be cool, otherwise I assume you would need to program the entire ramp. I've been intrigued by the CNC process, but just don't think it is worth it for me to take the time to learn and again is it worth the time considering the size of runs. gotta' be an expert out there. 3D printing is another possibility, not for making finish ramps, but possibly for making proto-type ramp shapes that can be formed one time to produce a form that can then be cast. We actually tried a 3d print with my son and it sort of worked. Many of the 3D printed stuff I've seen are not really very strong and the machine I use has incredible power and can just a 3D print piece.....It has even cracked a few ceramics. Possibly a good idea for a new game, but again, how much time does it take to program it to reproduce an existing ramp.

Rambling now...back to work on the Transporter ramps.

#3204 4 years ago
Quoted from tdddddd:

Regarding materials, Radical! ramps seem to be thicker than most ramps. Will you use thicker stock and will that pose any problems with heating and trimming?

Guessing the original Radical ramps were .187" thick. Not sure what type of plastic was used on the originals. I will be using .150" PETG which should be sufficient. As far as thicker material, I can easily form up to 1/4" plastic.

#3209 4 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I'm certainly no expert on 3D printing, but if I had the object files I could certainly run off some prototype prints for you to use.
I don't have access to a 3D scanner, but know a few friends quite good at Fusion 360.

That's the problem with the original ramps...I don't think data files exist on them.

#3210 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Thanks for the explanation on Ramp molds. I had no idea they made steel molds.

I don't think they were ever made of steel....Aluminum is what they were made of. In my ceramic molds I actually use rebar for added strength. On another note...the Black Belt I cast last night was a total of 28 pounds mixed. The mix rate on the ceramic I use is all done by weight. 1 pound of water and 3 pounds of the powder. So Black Belt was 21 pounds of powder and 7 pounds of water. You actually gauge the cure of the ceramic by it's weight. In theory over time, the Black Belt ramp will weigh close to 21 pounds when fully cured.

#3214 4 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Do you need another black belt ramp as example or are you good? Couldn’t tell by last post

No, but thanks. We're good...already cast.

#3216 4 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I'm going to verify, but I do know someone who can 3D scan and clean up the objects - but they were telling me clear objects will not scan correctly.
Meaning, the ramp must be painted before it can be scanned.
I can try results with some garbage ramp and see how it goes...? If you have one for me to try that would be great, I don't have anything like that around here.

Honestly, I'm just curious. Since I will likely never pursue it on my own, I can't see adding another party to the process that I can already do myself without a 3D printed mold since I have access to the ramps already. While 3D printing has come a long way, at least plastic is not a good material for a durable mold. However, I do see where the home brewers who would likely model their ramp and print their ramp which could then in turn be made into a mold.

#3227 4 years ago
Quoted from Jabbles180:

Any chance you are going to make a space shuttle ramp? Mine just cracked all the way across the bottom portion of the ramp, making it top of my list to find a replacement for. So far it hasn't affected play. But I am kind of afraid to have my league play the machine these days.[quoted image]

It's one of the first ones for the new heater.

#3228 4 years ago

Concerning the Radical left ramp....I am working on several molds right now for various games. The molds will take time to cure and finish, but Radical will easily be the first one I can begin reproductions on. I anticipated using a plastic .150" thick, but the question was raised that the original was a very thick plastic....actually .187". I do not use this thickness for anything else so I will begin a list for these using the thicker .187" material. I expect I will handle the first 8-10 with the first full sheet and then gauge interest for a second run.

Causally, on my list at the moment is:
FanofPinball
Whysnow (2?)
hisokajp

Ramp will be plastic only with new entrance flap. There are two light domes and twist sockets on the original ramp. I considered attaching new of both but have not located either part. On your original ramp, these two light domes/twist socket mounts are riveted to the ramp. If sent to me I will rivet for free, but in this case since there is no ball travel involved, there is no reason why these could not be attached with screws and nuts to the new ramp. Expecting cost to be $120-$130 plus shipping.

If interested, let me know and I will add you to the list.

#3237 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Assuming the list includes the one for myself and the spare machine I used to make the mold?

Top of the list!

#3238 4 years ago
Quoted from Leeezard:

Hey Mark, do you still have Comet corkscrew and cycle jump ramps available?
Your work is an inspiration, thank you!

Sending pm

#3245 4 years ago
Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

freeplay40
how to store the ramps (longtime)?
as i´m putting the ramps on the shelf for backup, any advise?
for now there are in the cardboard boxes they where shipped in (removed the bubblewrap) in a dry, a ca 20°C environment (about 68°F )

Good question and I am certainly no expert on long term storage. Personally, I would not apply anything to the ramp plastic. If they are colored they are dyed and who knows what could interact with the dye or the plastic over time. I have some colored ramp failures sitting in my garage for a couple years now with no apparent changes. I would wrap them in soft cloth and place them in a plastic bag. Protect from excess heat and sunlight. Fort the flaps, I generally clean them with WD40 before I install them. For long term storage, I would spray a shot of WD40 on a paper towel and wipe, then dry the surface of the flap trying not to get any on the plastic. The WD in WD40 stands for water displacement.....the 40 means the 40ith formula attempt.

#3247 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

The ramp flap is what I was referring to.

Roger!

#3251 4 years ago
Quoted from spent85:

I am not sure if this is the right place, but I would love to buy a new subway for my Data East Jurassic Park, and a ramp too if possible, but definitely the subway!

Can you measure the JP Subway ramp end to end?

#3253 4 years ago

So, although the calendar says summer, it's been cool and damp here for the last week and looks like it will continue for a bit. This really slows down the curing of the molds. I have cast 8 different pieces to do the Transporter ramps (3 casts), and the Black belt (actually cast 4 pieces). The Black Belt has a clear cover and I cast three pieces to make a full "pie" so I can get three at a pull. Lastly, but will actually be first produced is the Radical ramp. I can do some work on the molds, but just below the surface you can still see a lot of moisture.

The Radical Ramp is probably 98% ready to use. Just needs a final sanding and a hole or two drilled in it....and yes, it is still curing. The thickness plastic I am going to use for the Radical ramp is .177". Next readily available thickness is .250 and that would be overkill. Everything is metric now, so .177 equates to approx. 4.5 mm.

My supplier does not have any .177 in stock so it will be coming up from Los Angeles....Looks like two weeks before I get it. Mold will certainly be sufficiently cured by then. First formed and finished will be for @dung (donor). Once I have the plastic, I will have his ready in just a day or two.

#3257 4 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

~23 inches from the long end to the other along the outside.

Unfortunately that's just a little too long...another one for the new machine.

#3261 4 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

It has been mentioned several times in this thread, but I would really love to get a set of new left/center/right ramps for a JOKERZ!. The Upper Playfield is the only part that is easy to obtain. The ones I have are slightly cracked and one is slightly malformed around the flasher hole, but overall they are probably good enough to be used as a mold. I'd be happy to work something out where I send the ramps to you.

I have and will continue to consider those. Artwork for the upper ramps is not available.

#3268 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Do you mind scanning them since you have them off? I’m sure someone will need the files soon . This would help tremendously!

I already contacted dung to see if he could scan them. Unfortunately, he does not have a scanner.

1 week later
#3273 4 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Somewhat Off topic hope you don’t mind but can anyone help me understand where to buy a ramp flap for Bally Atlantis? Where the ramps for Bally Atlantis ever considered? Thanks I’m advance[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like a complete new lift ramp is needed.

#3276 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

You can buy the stock housing now at pinball life.... It's no longer unobtanium

That's great, but you are missing the point. Goal here was a more realistically shaped housing.

#3278 4 years ago

I doubt I will ever attempt those. Too much artwork.

#3281 4 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

What if you just made generic ones?

Too big anyway for now.

#3283 4 years ago

It's hard to avoid some damage. While Bondo is nice when finished, if you try to cast with it, it will damage the original as it gets too hot.

#3285 4 years ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

I have Blackwater 100 tools but it just isn't a viable commercial option unless you want to pay 500-600 for a set.

Ouch!

#3289 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

This has probably already been asked Mark but is a silicone mold able to handle the heat? I guess the other question would be is it too flexible for the forming process?

Sorry, don't know.

#3291 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Is cutting a new ramp flap something you would be willing to do? For a price obviously. I have acsess to the material and a person who can re-rivit it but he doesnt have the tools to cut it.

Not something I ordinarily do, but yes I can make you one. Can you scan it and then give me a couple measurements....like distance between the holes?

#3292 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

This has probably already been asked Mark but is a silicone mold able to handle the heat? I guess the other question would be is it too flexible for the forming process?

Just another note on whether silicone could handle the vacuum forming process. In order to get good definition on ramps, the typical shop vacuum set up just isn't strong enough. I use either wood/bondo combinations (custom stuff) or a ceramic. Vacuum strength is measured by how far a vacuum can pull mercury up a tube. The typical shop vacuum can only pull that mercury 6"-8". My set up will pull that mercury 25". That said, it is actually strong enough to occasionally crack a mold....so silicone will probably not withstand the vacuum.

#3297 4 years ago
Quoted from jhozeska:

I see work is in progress on Black Belt ramps. Do you have an estimated completion date? Thank you.

I'm not very good with estimates, but it's pretty close. Hardest part is just getting the mold cast and cured which is done...Just need final finishing. I'll give myself some hedge here and say I should have something to show within 2 weeks. Once the first one is made I will arrange with a local friend to test fit.

#3300 4 years ago

Radical Ramp update.... Just received word that the special thickness plastic I need for the Radical ramp is in town. Needs to be cut so won't be able to pick it up until Monday. In the meantime I will do a test pull on the ramp with .150 plastic so I will be ready when I get the plastic. Should be able to start shipping by mid next week.

#3302 4 years ago

Radical test forming....Perfect! Just waiting on the plastic now.

IMG_1468 (resized).JPGIMG_1468 (resized).JPGIMG_1469 (resized).JPGIMG_1469 (resized).JPG
#3306 4 years ago

I was able to get my thick plastic order picked up today and got a couple formed. Those of you who have followed for a long time might recall I've mentioned that ramps can be formed either over a male mold or into a female mold. To me, this ramp was a no brainer that it should be done over a male mold, so that is what was done. Looking closely at the donor ramps I have, they were done into female molds. In this case doing a female mold results in the plastic drawn down into the mold and thinning as it stretches out to the lower inside edges. I suspect this is why they went with the very thick plastic. Guessing they used .187" material for the initial ramps. I used .177". By using a male mold, the form naturally results in thicker plastic at the bottom of the ramp (Uh, where the ball is) and most importantly at the two lower edges at the entrance. Both of the donor ramps failed at the entrance bottom edges. I've attached a photo of the donor ramp (Bondo stained) and the first completed ramp (Yes I got one formed today and one completed). Pictures aren't the best, but the plastic on the new ramp at that critical lower edge at the entrance is at least twice as thick as the original. I also increased the radius on the edges slightly for even greater strength.

IMG_1472 (resized).JPGIMG_1472 (resized).JPGIMG_1473 (resized).JPGIMG_1473 (resized).JPG
#3307 4 years ago

Oh, and here is a photo of the first completed ramp.

IMG_1471 (resized).JPGIMG_1471 (resized).JPG
#3309 4 years ago

I am meeting tomorrow morning with a local friend to test fit the Radical ramp.

#3311 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Sweet. I can’t remember if I signed up. I want one.

You are on the list. I'll be honest that I do not think the current mold is correct. That said, since I have already purchased the thick plastic for this I will secure another donor ramp and fast track this one.

#3318 4 years ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

The problem with High Speed and Space Shuttle ramps is ABS shinney on both sides is no longer available. Kydex would work but be horribly expensive. I'm still trying to find a custom extruder to do the job.

Kydex is pretty cool to work with. I made a couple dozen Cycle Jumps for Comet with Kydex.Forms very well. I've only seen it similar to ABS with a texture on one side. On a cost per ramp for High Speed, it really only adds about $10 in cost....small price to pay for indestructibility!

#3320 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Why would it matter if it not shiny on the bottom? Better than a cracked one no?

I agree, but Larry's (Starship) desire is to match the stock original. While I made some Comet Cycle Jumps with Kydex, I still offer them in black ABS and leave the textured side down. I actually think it looks better than smooth.

#3324 4 years ago

The Radical ramp... First the bad news. As I feared, the mold provided to me is not correct to properly form the ramp. When the mold was made it was forced flat which affected the proper shape of the ramp. While I expect the ramp made from this form would fit in the game, the biggest issue I see is that at the end of the ramp, where the ball can fall off, that angle would be much greater resulting in the ball falling off much easier.

A big thank you to James (@fanofpinball). He is getting ready to go to CA Extreme this Friday and agreed to meet with me this morning so we could effectively assess the ramp I had made. As soon as I got there he got an emergency call to repair some high tech medical equipment. He still took the time to quickly pull his ramp out of his Radical. We discovered immediately that the shape of the one I had brought was not correct.

In the attached photo, you can see the two ramps side by side. The one I made sits flat on any surface and you can see that his original turns up at the end. Might seem minor, but this is a very big difference. So I cannot use the existing mold, nor can it be easily modified. If I had not already purchased the plastic for this, I would likely be tabling this ramp for future reproduction. But, since I have the plastic I am going to get this ramp re-molded as quick as I can.

IMG_1474 (resized).JPGIMG_1474 (resized).JPG
#3325 4 years ago

OK...That was the bad news. Here's the good news. Not only did fanofpinball loan me the Radical ramp in the photo above, but he also loaned me the lower left ramp. Going to mold it too. Anyone interested in that one? His is missing some plastic on the right side of the entrance to the ramp, so would appreciate it if anyone has one of these ramps with an intact entrance and could provide a photo

IMG_1475 (resized).JPGIMG_1475 (resized).JPG
#3329 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

It would be great if you sold the ramp cover for that lower ramp.

I can do that. Made one of those for a local friend recently.

#3331 4 years ago
Quoted from metal-mods:

Where are you on Transporter?

Finishing the molds.

#3333 4 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Black belt???

Getting close. Still finishing the mold. Just have a lot of molds right now to finish.....Black Belt (Actually two molds...one for the ramp and one for the ramp cover), three molds for The Transporter and now that I have to redo the Radical ramp mold, plus I am also going to make the lower left Radical ramp. Also slipped in a new mold for the Wabac ramp due to a crack.

#3338 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I know a few guys need that right rear Radical ramp, no one seems to ask about that one

When I met with my friend to assess the fit of the first ramp I was doing we had just a few minutes to pull the ramps as he was called out to an emergency medical service call. It looked to me that there might be only one ramp that I could not do at this time. The right ramp appeared to be a two piece ramp...is that correct?

#3339 4 years ago
Quoted from Namnuta:

And i would love the ramp cover for the lower ramp.

I will make this as well.

#3343 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Is there any plans for DM?

On my to do list. Actually have the donor ramps here.

Quoted from Skypilot:

Please add me to the Radical list. I would be thrilled to get a complete set.

On the list!

Quoted from Butch2099:

Any chance of Batman Forever ramps? They seem to be a good size. Not sure if making them green is a difficulty for you or not.

Probably at some point....Have not experimented with green yet.

#3345 4 years ago

Just a teaser....

IMG_1476 (resized).JPGIMG_1476 (resized).JPG
#3348 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

That looks Amazing!

I thought you'd be the first to notice!

I also have both other pieces ready to form. The long narrow ramp is also doable right now. The larger ramp I might have a problem with due to the fact that I chose to do it on a male mold (original was done on a female mold). I chose to do it as a male mold for increased strength at the bottom of the ramp. The female mold results in very thin walls at the bottom of the ramp and certainly at the entrance. This leaves me with two options....reform as a female mold (really not my choice) or wait for the larger heater.

As I complete the ramps for Black Belt and Radical, I will be pausing new ramp development and focusing on the heater.

#3351 4 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

Freeplay40, I have not been following along very closely here. Great to see Radical ramps being made! When do you need to be on the list by? My game is in storage yet and I will get it and examine the ramps closely. I remember 1 ramp has a chunk out of it.

Kind of hard to say on this one as it required a thickness of plastic that I do not presently use for anything else. I have I think about 32 sheets of this plastic and at least 14 folks on the list.....some buying two sets. In total I'd guess I have close to 28 ramps on the list if everyone took both. Once I am sold out I will start another list and when I have enough requests, I will special order the plastic again.

#3356 4 years ago
Quoted from cougtv:

Any chance of a Data East JP subway?
I would really like a new one

Quoted from J85M:

Hi freeplay40 any chance or plans for Goldeneye ramps? Thanks

Never say never, but have quite a few to do before I consider any more. Working to complete the Transporter pieces, the Black Belt and also the two pieces for Radical. Once I get these in production I will likely pause a bit on any new ramps....maybe slip Black Rose in...and focus on the new heater. Really want to get to the Comet main ramp and Space Shuttle.

#3377 4 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

How long do you think it will take to get the new heater going?

I'm not very good with answering this question. Right now I am just trying to get through the Transporter, Radical and Black Belt reproductions. Once I get though these I will focus on the heater. I am incented to get to the heater as I am having doubts about my ability to form one of the Transporter pieces on my current set-up.

#3378 4 years ago

1st test form of the second Transporter ramp...

IMG_1479 (resized).JPGIMG_1479 (resized).JPG
#3380 4 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

I would definitely be interested in this one and any other Radical ramps you do. This is the one I need the most however as you can see.

On the list....

#3382 4 years ago

Looks like I'm getting into a round 2 already for the radical ramps and given the lead time to get this thickness plastic, will likely place an additional order this coming week. I just got the Vertical ramp cast on Thursday. It will take another week to 10 days to cure. The upper left ramp is now cured and I am finishing it now. Expect I will start forming these either tonight or tomorrow.

As you know, there are two different designs for the upper left ramp....one with the original cut-out and a cover for the abandoned VUK and one where the cut-out was simply eliminated. I plan on offering both designs...Expect the one with the cut-out to be priced a little higher due to the extra cover piece. I will be reaching out soon to see which one each person wants. In the meantime, if you read this and have already been placed on the list, if you would let me know which you prefer I would appreciate it.

#3386 4 years ago

First formed Black Belt ramps....Radical Upper ramp tomorrow.....Radical Vertical ramp in a week to 10 days.

IMG_1480 (resized).JPGIMG_1480 (resized).JPG
#3388 4 years ago
Quoted from panthera:

Beautiful! I guess you did the test-fit already? Oh man I'm excited to play that game!

This Friday.

#3390 4 years ago

Another teaser. The Black Belt ramps will all be hand finished. Once I get a ramp formed I go through the process to finish as soon as I can so I can see a final product. One area I was really concerned with was the tab on the top of the ramp edge at the right side ramp exit. The model I have is paper thin in that area and already cracked. I used a forced heated plug to form this area and it turned out perfect!...Nice and thick now. Very happy with this first result.

IMG_1481 (resized).JPGIMG_1481 (resized).JPGIMG_1482 (resized).JPGIMG_1482 (resized).JPG
#3398 4 years ago

Eye Candy... This the first completed ramp, but I discovered something I need to address in the mold. Making another today. Will be heading south toward Tacoma on Saturday to deliver the first Black Belt and the upper Radical ramp to a friend. He's been after me for years to do the Black belt and also loaned me his Radical ramps. There was a guy a couple years ago that offered me an obscene amount of money for a Black Belt ramp. Told him it just didn't work that way and he should just wait for either me or someone else to reproduce it....hope he sees this if he still wants one.

On a general note, I am presently working on 8 new vacuum formed pieces for Black Belt, Transporter and Radical as well as a few associated pieces. This is the most I have ever done at one time. My house is, uh, a bit cluttered (actually very cluttered) and have someone coming on Saturday to pick up a WABAC ramp and view the ramp making process. Black Belt and the upper left Radical ramp will be the first ones available. If you are only interested in the upper left ramp for Radical, I will begin shipping those soon. Most seemed interested in both ramps for Radical and I expect to have the Vertical ramp mold ready in week to 10 days (curing). Amongst that stuff I will also be working on the Transporter pieces. Have not yet attempted the one large ramp yet....keeping my fingers crossed that I can form it on the current machine.
IMG_1483 (resized).JPGIMG_1483 (resized).JPG

#3401 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

There was a guy a couple years ago that offered me an obscene amount of money for a Black Belt ramp. Told him it just didn't work that way and he should just wait for either me or someone else to reproduce it....hope he sees this if he still wants one.

He just contacted me!

#3404 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Is he still offering an obscene amount of money?

I only dream of those prices!

#3405 4 years ago

The Black Belt ranks right up there with the G ramp for Guns 'n Roses.....challenging to say the least. Attached photos of the first production ramp with a new clear cover for @fanofpinball. Delivering it, returning his Radical ramps and also delivering a first production of the Radical upper ramp tomorrow.

IMG_1490 (resized).JPGIMG_1490 (resized).JPGIMG_1491 (resized).JPGIMG_1491 (resized).JPG
#3407 4 years ago

Delivered the first Black Belt ramp today. His ramp was pretty damaged and we initially had a tough time getting it in...then we realized some of the band-aids installed over it's life, specifically a metal protector of some sort at the center entrance was fouling things up. Once we removed that, it was a perfect fit.

IMG_0497 (resized).JPGIMG_0497 (resized).JPG
#3410 4 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Looks great!!! When will these be for sale?

Production this week.

#3411 4 years ago

After we got the new Black Belt ramp installed, fanofpinball commented that the new ramp was very smooth likely due to the removal of the band-aid fixes. We played a game as soon as it was assembled and James said it was his best game ever! I honestly don't recall if I have ever played the game before this but really enjoyed it.

#3413 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Freeplay40, is there a post in the 69 pages (nice) about your process and how you work and what you'd eventually like to accomplish and such?

Too deep for me. I make ramps because people need them and I enjoy contributing to the hobby.

#3415 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

and that's rad too!
Is this just a side hobby or a main gig? Keep doing what you're doing. You're helping save games for future generations!

I'm retired and do this pretty much full time.

#3418 4 years ago

UPS just came...CPR Gold

IMG_1494 (resized).JPGIMG_1494 (resized).JPG
#3420 4 years ago

I will begin shipping the new Black Belt ramp on Friday. Had to order a special box to fit this one nicely.

New ramp with new clear cover installed $150
New ramp with no cover $135
Shipping $16 (Estimate at the moment...need to get one packaged and weighed)

There is a unique bracket on the left side of the ramp that is riveted to the ramp. This will need to be transferred to the new ramp. I am considering fabricating this bracket and offering it installed for $15.

IMG_1496 (resized).JPGIMG_1496 (resized).JPGIMG_1499 (resized).JPGIMG_1499 (resized).JPGIMG_1500 (resized).JPGIMG_1500 (resized).JPG
#3421 4 years ago

Just packed up the first Black Belt with the cover and the bracket so I could see the weight. Shipping is confirmed at $16... 1 pound 15 Ounces!

I am also able to fabricate the bracket at the left ramp exit and install for $15

Accepting orders now. If you see this feel free to contact me. Later tonight or in the morning I will send pm's to everyone on my list.

#3426 4 years ago

Radical update....

The Vertical ramp mold is almost sufficiently cured and in the mean time I went ahead and formed one so I can check it for fit with my friend's machine. Finishing the Vertical mold will only take a day or two after I confirm fit. I did place an additional order for the thick plastic for these ramps and I see I have been charged so it's on the way. I will start forming the upper ramps, maybe yet today or certainly by tomorrow.
IMG_1501 (resized).JPGIMG_1501 (resized).JPG

#3427 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I'm very happy with my Kaydex ramp

I probably should have guaranteed those Kydex ramps for life! I guessed it to be at least 50 times more durable than the original.

#3429 4 years ago

Well....Up early today to form the upper Radical ramps. First form...perfect...second form...snapped the mold! The vacuum machine I use is very powerful. I use a mesh under the forms to distribute the vacuum. I left the upper edge of the form hanging off the mesh and I paid for it! Typically when I make a form I do quite a bit of finishing and often will use Bondo for minor repairs. This mold did not have a smooth bottom...actually slightly convex upward which is commonly seen in old ramps. I corrected this with Bondo to make it perfect. As I said, the first form today came out perfect. I will immediately cast another mold from this perfect form. Will take a while to cure, but once done it really requires little to no finishing. I had already formed a few a couple days ago so as this new cast cures I will perfect the machining process as well as wait for the additional plastic to arrive.

I have most of the Black Belt folks taken care of so will switch focus also to the Transporter ramps. I have successfully formed two of the three pieces and today will be the test to see if I can form the big one.

#3430 4 years ago

So, the post above shows how my day started. I will cast a new mold for the fractured Radical ramp today. I have already successfully formed two of the Transporter pieces and although the third mold has been ready for probably a couple weeks, I have been hesitant to attempt to mold it fearing I just would not be able to do it as its height and width are just the most I have ever attempted on the current machine. This ramp was originally formed on a female mold. I could have gone that route and it would have been easier to form. When vacuum forming into a female mold the plastic thins as it is pulled down into the mold. This is most critical at the entrances of ramps due to the plastic being the thinnest at the two bottom edges of the entrance and generally where we see the most failure due to the ball having the most energy when it smashes into the entrance. That coupled with the fact that plastic degrades and becomes more brittle over time...it cracks. Whenever possible, I prefer to form on a male mold as it puts more plastic on the bottom of the ramps and especially at the bottom edges at the entrance....just plain better.

So as my day started poorly, it took a turn for the good. Threw the third mold on the machine and successfully formed this piece...

IMG_1502 (resized).JPGIMG_1502 (resized).JPG
#3432 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Man, what a drag about the radical form, so bummed for you.

Seriously, not a big deal. Just a loss of time. I've already cast a new one this afternoon. The recasts are always better than the first cast which generally has repairs done to it. I have plenty to do with normal requests and Transporter.

#3437 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

is there an informal request system? Like with the CPR playfields, maybe as a community we can start indicating the parts we need / would order if made available?

Typically....over the years....Pinsiders lobby within this thread what they need. Generally, there has to be some expectation on my part that I can sell enough pieces to warrant the amount of time it takes to bring a piece to production. That's generally how I operate. Occasionally I take on what I consider to be favors to the community where I do not expect very many sales, but for these pieces, if I don't make them no one else will. I am doing two of these now with Black Belt and Transporter.

Everything I have made and in most cases continue to provide on demand is listed in the first post in this thread on page 1.

#3444 4 years ago
Quoted from izzy:

I don't need them both.
thx

I've been asked several times to do the center ramp for Police Force. Since that ramp is already available at Starship, unfortunately in a two ramp set, it just doesn't make sense for me to produce it. Larry and I try to avoid any duplication of effort.....focusing on what is not available. I know it can be a little painful for the wallet, but I agree with what many say here on Pinside...If you see it...buy it. I expect when Larry runs out of the stock he has, most likely they will not be run again.

#3450 4 years ago

You mean...this one? These are ready for final finishing.

IMG_1503 (resized).JPGIMG_1503 (resized).JPG
#3452 4 years ago

Looks like you are almost ready for them. I have already formed the Cross-Over covers as well. Just need to do the right ramp.

#3455 4 years ago
Quoted from metal-mods:

Sweet. Be sure to reserve my spot on the list. Hope you saved me a Pinbot blue-red ramp as well

The Transporter list? All three pieces?

#3457 4 years ago

First completed Radical Vertical ramp with new Lexan cover installed. Off this afternoon for a final test fit.
IMG_1505 (resized).JPGIMG_1505 (resized).JPG

#3458 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Off this afternoon for a final test fit.

...perfect fit.

1 week later
#3467 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Hey there, any chance you'll do this popeye ramp? Can't manage to find it anywhere (blue, top left)[quoted image]

To be honest?...Probably when there are no other ramps to make. This is the only request I have ever seen for this game.

#3474 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

just curious what do you use to cut these out, mark?

Ax and a hand saw

#3479 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Tar Pit for LAH would be a must! Someone just recently posted an OEM of it, but wants a good chunk of change for it. It would be perfect for replication. This plastic piece is very particular and needs to be replicated.

Is there a link so I can see it?

#3481 4 years ago

First finished piece for Transporter. In the foreground is a new one and the original.

IMG_1506 (resized).JPGIMG_1506 (resized).JPG
#3485 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Any news on the radical ramps?

Actually, yes. Already set up for the final machining on the Vertical ramp and will be ready today to start machining the upper ramp today... Will be shipping soon.

#3488 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Since I do not have any pieces to this plastic bowl, can anyone help me get part numbers or actual parts to the bowl...
The flasher inserts (they’re blue I think)
The lamp socket
Switch[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow...Those might be tough to find...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Something to consider is an alternative to original setup for those flashers. If you could come up with an alternative to how the flasher is hung, you could then simply attach to domes to the piece... We could custom finish one of the covers to accommodate an alternative.

#3489 4 years ago

A standard dome would easily fit on the piece, mounted above or below. Just machine a slightly smaller hole in the piece and eliminate the two snap in ends to the stock hole. Just need to figure out how to attach the lamp socket.

IMG_1509 (resized).JPGIMG_1509 (resized).JPG
#3490 4 years ago

Working on both the Transporter and Radical right now. Some of the first finished Radical ramps....

IMG_1508 (resized).JPGIMG_1508 (resized).JPG
#3493 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Good ideas! Let’s see if any parts come out of the wood work, I am a master of modifying things cleanly but would like to hopefully find the pieces

If it comes down to a modified cover I can do that....Also, if you are interested, I have the ramp parts for the upper ramp.

#3500 4 years ago
Quoted from Code:

Will you be making any TMNT plastic ramps in the near future? I believe there is some small demand for these.

Possibly, but not soon.

#3503 4 years ago

Minor hiccup on the Radical ramps. Up until now I have been ordering this particular thickness of plastic from my local vendor. They do not as a practice, stock this thickness, so when I order, it takes 2-3 weeks for me to get it. The last order I received had just too many flaws in it for me to use a lot of them....I will be returning this to the vendor for credit. Now the good news... I have located a new vendor just north of Tacoma that regularly stocks this thickness of plastic and was competitive on the price. Normally, he can cut what I need same or next day, but my timing wasn't the best as his guy that cuts plastic will be on vacation next week. That said, I will get the next order in on Sept 8-9, which is still much faster than I would have gotten it from my current vendor who I have lost confidence in with this thickness. I have enough good product to cover most of the orders, but those toward the bottom of the list will have just a little more wait.

#3505 4 years ago
Quoted from pfinny:

You mean October ?

LOL...How time flies! Yes....October.

#3506 4 years ago

Radical Ramps Update.

While I wait a bit for the next plastic purchase so I can complete the list for the Radical ramps, I'm going to start shipping in just a couple days.

So here is the deal. I'm going to offer individual prices for the Upper left ramp (in 3 versions), the Vertical ramp and the Vertical ramp cover. A typical package would be the upper left ramp in any version, the Vertical ramp and the vertical ramp cover. Any combination order of 3 or more pieces I will knock off $5 per piece.

Individual Prices:

Upper left no cut-out for VUK $125
Upper left with cut-out for VUK $125
Upper left with VUK cut-out and factory VUK cut-out cover $135

Vertical Ramp $125
Vertical Ramp cover $25

Order 3 or more pieces take $5 per piece off.

I will figure out shipping shortly.

As soon as I figure out the domestic shipping I will start contacting folks on the list as well as confirming which upper left ramp version is desired.

Thank you for your patience....I know it seems like this stuff takes forever...... but I get there eventually!

Mark

#3508 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Glad to hear it. If you think this feels like forever just remember my game has been down for 2.5 years now waiting for a ramp :/

You are at the top of the list!

#3510 4 years ago
Quoted from SkaterVet:

Freeplay40, Thank you for everything you are doing!!! Forgive me if this has already been addressed in the previous 70 pages....is there any intention to remake the other Radical ramps?

One of the other two pieces for Radical is larger than my current heat source can handle...I can form larger plastic, but just not set up yet to heat larger plastic. What I'm doing right now is working to complete the two Radical ramps and the Transporter pieces. Once that is basically done, I will continue to get regular orders for stuff I've already made, but I will pause new ramp development (Considering slipping Black Rose in) while I finish the work on the new heat source. Once the new heater is operational, the first pieces I will do are the Comet center ramp and the two remaining Radical Ramps....after those probably Space Shuttle.

#3520 4 years ago

At this moment, I have 2 Main transparent Blue/Red ramps left that just need to be finished (They are not finished because I can make them for Pinbot or Jackbot). One, I'm holding for someone so really only 1 available.

IMG_1404 (resized).JPGIMG_1404 (resized).JPG
#3532 4 years ago

Shipping the first two Radical Ramps in the morning to the original donor (@dung). Note that the upper left ramp has the two light brackets riveted to the new ramp...because he sent them to me. Not included in my offering. Those brackets are normally riveted, but could just as easily be attached with small screws and nuts for those not set up to rivet.

IMG_1510 (resized).JPGIMG_1510 (resized).JPG
#3534 4 years ago

The Radical pieces pictured below are now available. There are three different versions available of the upper left ramp. The original version on the left has the cut-out for the VUK. The version in the center is what I refer to as the "transition" piece. When the VUK was eliminated from the game, existing inventory of ramps with the VUK cut-out were provided a cover for the VUK cut-out. The version on the right is the newest version where the cut-out for the VUK was eliminated.

The second photo shows the new Vertical ramp and also the available new ball control cover.

Upper ramp original version $125
Upper ramp "transition" version with new cover $135
Upper ramp newest version $125

Radical ramp $125
Radical ramp cover $25

Package deal for the three pieces $260 ($270 if "transition version of upper ramp selected) There are a few of you who have requested additional sets...for each piece above the "package" simply take off $5 per piece.

Shipping for just the Upper ramp or the Vertical ramp $16
Shipping for the upper ramp, Vertical ramp and Vertical ramp cover $20
Shipping for just the Vertical ramp cover $10

Shipping for more pieces than shown above will be handled case by case based on what is ordered.

At this moment I only have 4 of the Upper ramps with the VUK cut-out simply because I was producing them secondly and ran into a bunch of unacceptable plastic that I am returning. I am picking up another order of plastic from another vendor for these on Tuesday.

I have a list but rather than spend the time to work through the list I'll let these go first come first serve as it is my ultimate intention to cover everyone interested.

Thanks....Mark

IMG_1512 (resized).JPGIMG_1512 (resized).JPGIMG_1513 (resized).JPGIMG_1513 (resized).JPG
#3542 4 years ago
Quoted from Spillzy1:

How do I go about ordering a set of clear genesis ramps?

pm sent...

#3546 4 years ago
Quoted from izzy:

Have you done or can you do the GTB Genesis ramps in color? Pink/Purple?
thx
izzy

The original ramps are not colored plastic...rather they were painted on the bottom side and a crappy paint job as well. When I first did the ramps I did produce a couple that were airbrushed painted pink. Real pain in the ass, especially while trying to do a good job, but still try to do a crappy job. The clears were overwhelmingly requested so I simply never did a colored set again. As far as dying them, I could do blue, but in conjunction with the blue request was to do the other in green. Not a lot of ramps done in green and I have yet to even attempt to mix the proper green. There is no stock dye for either the blue or the green so they have to be mixed. I do a lot of blue stuff so I have figured out that mix....haven't figured attempted the green mix yet.....maybe when I get to Grand Lizard. As far as pink or any other color, again no other demand for these colors.

I only did 2 pink painted sets and a couple others in blue. Over 98% of the orders have been clear, so that's all I offer. Genesis is somewhat unique in that it has artwork under the ramps so the clears work well.

#3549 4 years ago
Quoted from izzy:

Did you see these original WMS ramp molds for sale on Ebay?

Old school stuff. No CNC cutting back then so once molds were made and plastic formed, they used jigs to cut them out and position the mounting holes.

#3551 4 years ago

Transporter ramp update....

Well, I'm finally done....finished some of the last piece last night. Over the years (wow...how time flies!) I've, on several occasions, discussed the differences between male mold and female molds. Sometimes you simply have no choice but to form a new ramp the same way as the original, simply due to the design...Space Station for example was formed on a female mold and cannot possible be formed on a male mold. Whenever I can I opt to form on male molds. The reason is it simply puts more plastic at the bottom of the ramp where it is needed for strength (thicker!)

The Transporter upper left and the right ramp were formed on female molds. I converted both of these to male molds. When formed as female molds as I mentioned, the plastic thins incredibly as it is pulled down into the form. If you look at the thickness of the plastic at the drop hole on the right ramp for example, you will see that the plastic there is only about 1/32" thick and as shown in the photos below, where that ramp is failing. The side by side photos of both the entrance and exit to that ramp demonstrate the improvement by forming on a male mold. Both the upper left ramp and the right ramp had portions of the top edge "rolled over". This is difficult to reproduce when forming on a male mold. I was successful in "pulling" this off on the upper left ramp, but the right ramp fought me every step of the way. The right ramp has some of these rolled over edges, but I simply had too many failures to continue to make them exactly as the original. This was compounded by the fact that I chose a thicker plastic than the originals as well. So, I simply eliminated the rolled over parts of the right ramp....this is how I would have designed this ramp. The result is simply better all around.

I will announce pricing shortly and begin shipping tomorrow.

IMG_1568 (resized).JPGIMG_1568 (resized).JPGIMG_1569 (resized).JPGIMG_1569 (resized).JPGIMG_1570 (resized).JPGIMG_1570 (resized).JPG
#3552 4 years ago

Transporter pricing...

Individual piece pricing...

Upper left ramp $135 (Includes new entrance flap...not installed yet in photo below)
Right ramp $80
Cross-Over Bowl cover $80

Order all three for package price of $275

Shipping:

All three pieces $22
Upper left and right ramp $22

Upper left ramp only $16
Right ramp only $16
Cross-Over Bowl cover $11

I have not made enough to cover everyone on my list, but as soon as I start shipping and get a better idea of just how many I will need to complete this run, I will make the necessary pieces I need to finish this project....at least for now.

IMG_1571 (resized).JPGIMG_1571 (resized).JPGIMG_1572 (resized).JPGIMG_1572 (resized).JPGIMG_1573 (resized).JPGIMG_1573 (resized).JPG
#3553 4 years ago

I forgot to mention... The upper left ramp has a switch bracket riveted to the ramp. That will be included.

#3555 4 years ago

Received a pm asking about the thickness of the Transporter upper left ramp. First as I explained above, by reverse forming this ramp on a male mold, we get much thicker plastic at the bottom of the ramp....this is especially important at the entrance of the ramps, specifically at the two bottom edges. Additionally, best guess the original was made from .118" or .125" plastic at best and I formed it with .150" plastic.

See photo below of the original ramp verses my reproduction at the entrance.

IMG_1575 (resized).JPGIMG_1575 (resized).JPG
#3559 4 years ago
Quoted from Godpinzilla:

Do you still have the upper left ramp with vuk cut out
Not on the list please let me know
Thanks anthony

Yes...Sending PM

#3560 4 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

All the best Larry

BTW....Larry is the other ramp guy!

#3564 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

But your good friends call you Larry, right?

It's the thought that counts!

#3566 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Do you plan on doing T2 ramps? I'm only asking because I'm about to start a play field swap and would be more than happy to send you the stock ramps while I do the top and bottom side tear down, cleaning, and swapping

Haven't really considered T2 ramps yet...Sorry

#3574 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Frog:

Do you do one-shots (or small batch, as it were)?

Well, back in more recent pages, I have discussed that in addition to reproducing ramps that I can expect enough orders to make the it worth the time it takes to bring and produce a particular ramp....yes, economically, that I occasionally like to do what I consider "favors to the community". These are projects that I do not expect many sales on but if I did not do them, no one else ever would. I'm just wrapping up a couple of these now.....specifically the ramp for Blackbelt and the 3 pieces for Transporter the Rescue. Planetary was able to get the Transporter Cross-Over ramp done. This is an injection molded piece. Since they did that I decided that I would make the other three vacuum formed pieces to complete some of the most needed pieces for that game.

I also like making clear or colored ramps for games that had black plastic ramps....love the System 11's. Clear and colored ramps with the LED lighting that is available can make dramatic changes in a game.

I enjoy doing this and it is always challenging and I like making small changes in the ramps to improve strength. I really only show my stuff here on Pinside and have gotten tremendous support from the folks here...honestly it is what keeps me going.

As far as doing one-offs....Don't do that. I'm retired and I work on this stuff more than full time. It takes about a month to bring just one piece to production. Generally I just do one game at a time. Just recently, and all at pretty much the same time, I produced Black belt (Actually 2 pieces), Transporter (3 pieces) and initially one but evolved to 2 pieces for Radical. Concurrent with those I still produce pretty much everything I have ever made basically on demand.....I keep very little inventory.

One note on Black Belt. A couple years ago I was approached and offered $1500 for 2 Black Belt ramps. I just couldn't bring myself to, one, stop what I was doing to cater to one individual, but mostly because I would never expect anyone to have to pay that much. Told him to wait and see if I or anyone else ever decided to do that one....fortunately for him I also have a friend that wanted one, so I decided to do it. He never found a replacement, but did see I was making them and of course ordered....He sent me $500 for one....Couldn't accept that so I refunded the difference...well all accept for $19 which I did keep as a "tip"!

For those that have followed me for what is now years!, I have been saying forever that I have to build a bigger heater so I can do larger pieces. I am actually catching my breath here and have been casually working my way through the Transporter and Radical lists. Once I get through those, my main focus will be on finishing the heater. First up on the new heater will be the Comet center ramp (since I already made the Cork Screw and Cycle jump) and I think I will do the rest of the ramps for Radical. I had indicated I would do Space Shuttle, but I think Larry at Starship is gearing up for those (Yes we do talk, but mostly to avoid duplication). Really no sense in both of us making the same ramp since so many others are needed. If he doesn't make the Space Shuttle ramp, I will.

Cheers!

#3578 4 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

any intentions to do Black Rose?

Quoted from Morinack:

Hi Freeplay40,
Thanks for having the skills to do work like this.
Thanks as well, for taking the time to provide insight to your rationale on deciding what to work on.
I would also add to the interest on the Jokerz! ramp sets.
While the UPF is available here and there, it is hard to source the Left, Right, and Center(lock) ramps.
Thanks again!

Black Rose has been discussed several time and yes I will most likely do it sooner than later. Jokerz is also in my thoughts...just wish I could come to a reasonable arrangement with Planetary to make the decals available.

#3580 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Mark are you trying to get a license to make the labels? Maybe if you share how many total of each ramp you plant to make they can make an equivalent amount of labels that customers could buy directly from pps.

sending pm

#3584 4 years ago
Quoted from thelazybman:

Space Station Upper ramp? My Gorilla tape is wearing thin

That is an injection molded piece. There was a Pinsider that was trying to make up an alternative for that ramp but I think it died on the vine. Best hope is that Rick with Planetary will find the original injection mold for that one. Pretty sure if he finds it he will get them made.

#3588 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Great news Mark, that you will be soon turning your attention to the larger heater. Speaking of which, have the Demo Man ramps now fallen off your radar? I understood it that this set of ramps were one of your first priorities with the new setup?

Yes, Demo Man ramps are still planned...I already have the donor ramps here. I might go ahead and make molds for what I can do on the current set up as the longer they cure the stronger the get.

#3589 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I need demolition man ramps too but it worries me. To get them in and out , you need to squeeze and pull and yank on them. Thicker plastic might make it darn near impossible to install.

I just took a close look at the three ramps I have for Demo Man. The largest ramp appears to be made out of .118"/.125" plastic. The two smaller ramps appear to me to be made out of possibly .100" plastic.....at the very least the two smaller ramps appear to be made from a thinner plastic than the larger ramp. I would like to make to make these with .150" plastic, but could offer them also in .118". For the two smaller ramps I would make those in at least .118". They also appear to have been formed on male molds which is how I would do them as well. So if your ramps are suffering cracks at the entrances' lower edges, a thicker plastic would help strengthen those.

The difference between .150" and .118" is only .032"....or roughly 1/30th of an inch...../not much at all, but certainly greater strength. If you were to measure for instance the outside width of the entrance walls, in total the result with the thicker plastic could increase that measurement by about 1/16".

#3593 4 years ago

I should be done contacting the last folks on the Transporter and Radical lists in just the next couple days. Pretty much everything I have made for both of those projects is out the door so need to assess how many more I need to make to complete this first runs of these two.

As I have said, once done with these projects my primary focus will turn to the new heater. I did say however that I might consider slipping in some work for Black Rose.

Well....I was contacted by a local friend who told me he is just beginning teardown on two Black Rose machines and wondered if I wanted to do the ramps. Timing is everything, eh? I'm not totally familiar with the ramps on BR but he is going to send me some photos tonight so I can see if there are any I can't do right now. Either way, I think I will get the ramps from him and at least start making the molds for them...even if any of them are too large as I could follow up with those on the new heater.

So...BLACK ROSE RAMPS...

I would appreciate your feedback as to which ramps are needed/desired.

No rest for the weary!

#3599 4 years ago

As I recall most requests have been mostly for the Whirlpool and some for the left ramp.

#3603 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Is the material you use to form ramps available in any different translucent colors? Just curious.

Quoted from jrockne:

I'd be in for the whirlpool and left ramp as well! Any chance of doing the whirlpool ramp in transparent blue?

I really only use two types of plastic....Black ABS for just a couple things I make and predominately several thicknesses of clear PETG. I can dye the PETG in some colors. I did yellow for GNR, transparent orange for the Comet Cork Screw, I've done quite a few pieces in transparent red and blue (Even one in transparent red AND transparent blue....PINBOT), and a couple pieces in a lighter blue (turquois)

I could do the Whirlpool in blue...Generally charge an additional $10 for the color.

#3604 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Is the material you use to form ramps available in any different translucent colors? Just curious.

I didn't really answer this question. PETG can be sourced in almost any color...However in order to do so, the order must be placed overseas and the minimum requirement for an order is several thousand pounds...Just not economically feasible.

#3606 4 years ago

Closing the Radical Ramps list today. I believe I have notified everyone who indicated interest. If I did not hear back from you I have deleted you. If I've missed you let me know. Will be making the last pieces I need for this run today and tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's support on this project.

Mark

#3608 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

What does the " lighter blue" look like? That sounds nice.
And when its dyed, can the color be scratched away over time?

The dye does penetrate the plastic to some degree. I've been dying ramps for several years now and have yet to hear of any loss of color. As far as the lighter blue, see attached photo of some piece I did for Strange Science in the light blue.

IMG_1253 (resized).JPGIMG_1253 (resized).JPGIMG_1255 (resized).JPGIMG_1255 (resized).JPG
#3609 4 years ago

This are some samples of the darker blue I use...

IMG_1101 (resized).JPGIMG_1101 (resized).JPGIMG_1323 (resized).JPGIMG_1323 (resized).JPGIMG_1324 (resized).JPGIMG_1324 (resized).JPG
#3610 4 years ago

I've just sent out the last notifications for interest in the Transporter pieces to see how many more pieces I need to make to cover all who are interested. I will also be closing this list in the next couple days. If I missed you, let me know.

Trying to wrap up both this project and the Radical projects so I can move on to the HEATER!

#3615 4 years ago

You will enjoy and endless amount of opportunities and requests for ramps that fit your current setup. Hopefully the temptation to do “just one more” with the current heater will not win out over finally getting the big unit into production! I’d be curious to see if the big unit makes you more efficient, too, by allowing smaller ramps to be formed concurrently with large ramps if there’s room on the sheet. Heater! Heater! Heater! Yay!

The new heater will force me, at least for the forming process, to be more efficient as running the new heater is just like having your dryer running...just the heater will pull approximately 35-40 amps. So the forming process will become a "planned" event. Mostly due to the fact that the molds build up and retain heat, so when doing a forming event I would need to plan on several different molds being executed during the event. Typically in a high volume production, the molds are often "plumbed" so that coolant can be circulated through them....just not feasible for the size of runs pinball ramps require.

#3616 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

I wonder how that darker blue would look on space shuttle. When you guys determine who is making the space shuttle ramp, keep us updated. I have to believe at this point it is going to be a best seller.

Blue had been my plan all along. Larry had indicated he would certainly do the black ABS, and possibly a clear, but no mention of a blue.

#3617 4 years ago

You will enjoy and endless amount of opportunities and requests for ramps that fit your current setup. Hopefully the temptation to do “just one more” with the current heater will not win out over finally getting the big unit into production! I’d be curious to see if the big unit makes you more efficient, too, by allowing smaller ramps to be formed concurrently with large ramps if there’s room on the sheet. Heater! Heater! Heater! Yay!

Actually, I will keep my existing machine and the associated heating process as, at least as far as heating the plastic, it is very efficient. I do envision at this time to build the new heater and still use my current machine for the forming as the machine I have can already handle larger plastic. In the end I will have two complete machines.

#3618 4 years ago

Based on the feedback, at this point I think I am going to do just the Whirlpool and left ramp for Black Rose. Doing these two now won't really slow me down much. Since I do intend to do them, at least getting the molds made sooner than later makes more sense to me as they simply get stronger over time (Recently, due to the power of my vacuum setup, I had a couple molds that were reinforced with steel rebar actually snap under the pressure)

#3621 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Wouldn't call that a light blue but rather a very nice turquoise!

Concur....definitely a turquois!

#3624 4 years ago
Quoted from snextime:

If you ever make the lower ramp for Hurricane count me in!

I think the best chances for the other Hurricane ramps is with Starship. Larry and I recently talked about the changes that were made in the design of the center ramp and he actually shared a photo of the Hurricane ramps mold...huge mold with all the ramps on one form.

#3626 4 years ago

Larry with Starship shared a photo of an original Williams mold for Hurricane with me. Monstrous heavy pieces with all the pieces on one mold. Thought some of you might find this interesting. For those of you who have followed the development of my Hurricane center ramp, you may recall that I discovered there were two different versions of this ramp with respect to the position of the center drop hole. If you look closely at the center ramp portion of this mold (Upper left) you can see that the mold was modified (Extended) for the newest, correct version.

5cbc34cfd8b096523e1c8b8fd0d7ef287e3eb5e6 (resized).png5cbc34cfd8b096523e1c8b8fd0d7ef287e3eb5e6 (resized).png
#3627 4 years ago

I have started an official list for Black Rose. I picked up the names of those who indicated interest in the last couple pages of this post. If anyone else is interested just drop me a pm.

#3636 4 years ago

Local friend stopped by today and brought me the Black Rose Whirlpool and left ramps to model from. Spent some time discussing the failures on these ramps and I see some simple modifications that will make them much stronger/more durable. Appears the originals were formed on male molds (The best way) and probably out of .118"/.125" plastic. First off I will definitely go to the .150" plastic. Secondly, while they had the forethought to put protectors on both sides of the entrances to both ramps, the position of the two rivets in each protector are too close to the entrance and due to ball impact close to the rivets, the ramps are developing cracks starting at the rivet holes. What I will do on the left ramp is to extend the protectors about an additional 2" (Up to the decal) and then I can rivet further up the ramp. For the Whirlpool ramp, I will extend the left protector all the way to the cut-out and extend the right protector about 1.5".

Since these protectors are all riveted to the ramps, I think it best if I provide new installed ones....but that will add to the cost. I will also offer a new Lexan cover for Whirlpool. As you all know by now I do not provide decals. As a side note, since I cannot sell the decals I do intend to do some experimenting and already have some ideas to recreate/reuse existing underside decals and if I come up with a simple effective method I will gladly share that knowledge with anyone interested.

The Whirlpool ramp has one unique piece that would be difficult for me to reproduce cheaply. This is a bracket at the top of the ramp where the ramp connects to a wireform. This is something that I would offer to install for you for free if that piece was sent to me.

Probably about a month away.....This is the last project I will start for the time being as my focus turns to the new heater....and...If I don't get busy on that, I fear some Pinsiders will start making death threats or at the least an IMPEACHMENT inquiry!

Cheers...

IMG_1578 (resized).JPGIMG_1578 (resized).JPG
#3640 4 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Mark, I recently saw in the HEP thread where he showed reclaiming a decal for reuse. Hope this is of use to you!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/92#post-5171979

Absolutely. I wasn't sure if the 3M decal transfer tape would work for the underside decals....this confirms it for me. I have been successful at removing original decals just using Goo-Gone and slowly working them loose and then cleaning the remaining glue off also with Goo-Gone.....and whenever I remove one I scan it!

I was going to next experiment with adhesive backed reverse imaged clear vinyl then backed with white vinyl, but now I see no need to do that since the 3M transfer tape works so well. So I am now just going to test print to white vinyl and just use the 3m transfer tape.

I recall years ago when I was applying a factory stripe to one of the early Mazda rotary engine cars. In that installation you simply spray Windex on the car then apply the decals over the Windex which allows you to slide it around until you get the alignment just right. Then you just squeegee out the Windex and voila!... perfect application. That is probably one of the first things I will try with the 3m tape.

Just seems impossible to get the license holders to make decals available so best if we figure out how to just do our own.

Thanks again for the link.

#3647 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

Mark
Forgive my naivete but I don't understand the decal issue. Since you said it was hard getting the license holders to create decals but your scanning decals as you're able to save them why can't you just start printing them out or are you saying individuals can basically print their own for personal use if they have a useable decal to scan?
For "Comet" for instance, how is it that people can buy the dunk the dummy, million shot and rabbit and duck decals but not a center ramp decal? Did the license holders authorize the release of those or are people just reproducing them without permission? I just bought a million shot decal from Marco and have in the past bought a dunk the dummy from another source. Repopped decals for cars come to mind for instance, as you mentioned above. I know people repop decals and offer them for sale on a car website I'm on. Is it just because some companies or license holders don't have a hard-on for going after people making them?
I know because a lot of decals stick to the bottom of the ramp people have said they might not be easy to scan but why couldn't they be stuck to a thin piece of PETG or similar material like playfield protectors are made of and then scanned? Would that work? I ask because I have a NOS Comet center ramp decal and if I can get away with it and figure out a good way to do it I'd start cranking them out since it seems like there's a demand.
Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

I'll send you a pm directly...

#3649 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

The decals that I've found under plastics are silkscreened on some type of thin mylar. Even if you scan them, I don't think its possible to reproduce them and look like the originals.

I honestly haven't played around with decals for several years. I recreated some plastics for my High Speed years ago with reverse image water slide decals which were then shot with white paint for the translucence. It took some experimenting to get the color saturation just right but in the end, they looked great. The hardest part was to get the black dense enough. I handled that by simply making an exact duplicate of the plastic image and removed all color except the black. I then just ran the decal through the printer again only printing black over the already printed decal. Printer (Ink Jet) lines it up perfectly for the second pass of just the black.

Bottom line is I think good quality reproductions can be made with a bit of tinkering if necessary.

#3651 4 years ago

Whirlpool ramp decal numbers..
31-1655-3-SP
31-1655-4-SP
31-1656-5-SP

I do not see a number on the "Whirlpool" decal on the ramp cover.

left ramp
31-1655-1-SP
31-1655-2-SP
31-1656-3-SP

#3655 4 years ago
Quoted from KoSLoW:

Do you plan to make roller coaster tycoon ramps ?

Honestly, have not even consider them yet.

#3658 4 years ago

Transporter and Radical ramps.

I believe I have contacted everyone who had indicated interest on these two ramps sets. Basically sold out now, but if I have missed anyone who is still interested let me know and I will get you what you want. I do expect I will produce these on demand again in the future, but other than any last minute requests now, I will table and start a new list for these so I can move on to the heater.

#3667 4 years ago
Quoted from pfinny:

Any chance of doing ramps for last action hero ?

Not anytime soon....sorry

#3676 4 years ago

OK... I know I have been quiet on the Space Shuttle ramps. As you all know, I need the bigger heater IF I am going to do them. Starship Fantasy has indicated that he will do them, but he has yet to commit to them. So....When my heater is done and I could do them, if they are not on the near horizon with Starship, I will do them.

#3679 4 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

I would be interested in a kydex version if you do reproduce them.

I will admit that the Kydex material is pretty cool. If and when the time comes, I would consider it, but it would require commitment from at least 8 individuals to do it. I really don't like doing ramps in black ABS, but Kydex is just such a great material...super strong. I could probably warrant those for life....uh, my life that is...I'm 67 on Sunday!

#3691 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

What exactly is a kydex ramp?

Kydex is a very strong plastic. In black, it looks a lot like ABS in that it is shiny/smooth on one side and textured on the other side. Kydex vacuum forms very nicely. It is used to make plastic gun holsters, aircraft interiors and even jet engine cowlings. Guessing $15 to $20 extra for Kydex over ABS. I doubt I would have any trouble getting quite a few to commit to the Kydex. Perfect for those that want to maintain an original look while getting a ramp that is probably at least 10 times stronger than ABS.

#3704 4 years ago

Thanks for all the Birthday wishes....The one time of the year where I have to recognize may age...Otherwise when I asked I just reply, "I don't know!"

#3706 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Happy birthday mark. Mine is today also.
Seems the biggest demand is demo man and space shuttle.
I cant wait for demo man ramps.

Happy Birthday to you too!

#3712 4 years ago

On a sadder note. There are a few of you who are sending me parts to install on new ramps and be assured I will get to those quickly. After suffering for nearly 10 years with full blown dementia, my mother passed away today. Was not a surprise and honestly a blessing. She had not eaten in over two weeks and has been under the care of Hospice for this last week with the goal to keep her comfortable. We were very lucky to have placed our mother in an adult care home (not the big ones) where the woman/owner took absolutely wonderful care of our mother for nearly 9 years. She has spent pretty much the last two years in a bed staring at the ceiling. Virtually no verbal communication. She is finally at peace.

So other than dealing with the immediate ramp stuff, I will a little slower responding right now....at least for this coming week.

2 weeks later
#3741 4 years ago
Quoted from nhman:

I would like to purchase center ramp from free play. New to pinball and this forum, how do I set this up. Thx for assistances

pm sent...

#3742 4 years ago

Black Rose ramp update. Life events slowed things down in November, but getting back on track. The molds for the two Black Rose pieces I will reproduce are cast and curing. On another note, Planetary just today announced some significant releases in the Black Rose owners club...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-rose-club-owners-and-fans-welcome/page/23#post-5344001

Good timing for Black Rose owners!

#3747 4 years ago
Quoted from fane:

hello freeplay40,
no way for a sega mary shelley's Frankenstein plastic ramp ????? or any solution ?
nice day

No plans at this time for this one..Have a long list to get through first.

#3749 4 years ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

Is there a red or smoke grey HS ramp coming?

Transparent reds are available as well as the clear.

IMG_1504 (resized).JPGIMG_1504 (resized).JPG
#3751 4 years ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

I wish these photos did justice. The ramps are beautiful!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

For the Pinbot I had on loan from a friend, when I installed his ramps I replaced the orange domes on the main ramp with blue and red domes.

#3753 4 years ago
Quoted from Houst:

Hello,
I would like to buy the clear Genesis ramps please.

pm sent...

#3754 4 years ago

Happy Holidays!

Finished the Black Rose molds this evening. First test forms tomorrow. Once I get a couple masters finshed I will design the new protectors.

#3757 4 years ago

First formed and finished masters for Black Rose....

IMG_1592 (resized).JPGIMG_1592 (resized).JPG
#3773 4 years ago
Quoted from chriz99:

I am searching for a Doctor Who - Time Expander cover. Do you have stock at the moment?
Thanks a lot
Chris

Yes

#3777 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Is there a timeframe for DM?

Well, I do have the donor ramps here, but like many, some are too large for the current setup. Just need to build the heater so I can do the larger ones. I do intend to do them, just can't say exactly when.

#3780 4 years ago

Look what Santa brought High Speed!

IMG_1594 (resized).JPGIMG_1594 (resized).JPGIMG_1603 (resized).JPGIMG_1603 (resized).JPGIMG_1604 (resized).JPGIMG_1604 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#3784 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Where can I get that?

Local friend is the maker of those. They should be available soon.

#3788 4 years ago
Quoted from Andy1:

Are you still doing the subway ramps for DEST

Yes

#3795 4 years ago
Quoted from Phoobooz:

What's the price on these? I just pulled a Black Rose out of a storage unit today that's been sitting for 10 years. Ramps are totally warped and no good. What great timing to see you're doing this!

I haven't set the prices yet. Had planned on test fitting yesterday with the donor but we have been snowed on and where he lives is semi remote and has a reeeeeally long driveway and an amazing house!....so going to have to wait until the snow clears.

Still debating what I will offer...Both ramps have ramp entrance protectors that are riveted to the ramps. I am designing new longer ones that I will be able to offer installed and also considering offer the ramps without protectors installed, thinking you could install your existing ones for a lower cost version....However, that would require riveting o your part. There is also another issue with the Whirlpool ramp. There is a unique bracket at the end of the ramp (exit) that will need to be transferred to the new ramp. I expect I will offer to do that for free if the bracket is sent to me. The other issue is decals. I do not provide them, so expect those will need to be removed from the original ramp and reapplied to the new ramps.

#3797 4 years ago
Quoted from Phoobooz:

As far as the decals go, I believe I found replacement decals online elsewhere, so that isn't much of a problem at all.

I'm sure others would be interested in those BR decals if more are available.

#3817 4 years ago

The Comet center ramp is the first one I will do..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 34.95
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
1,284 posts in this topic match your search for posts by freeplay40. You are on page 4 of 6.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider freeplay40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/4?tu=freeplay40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.