IMG_7483.gif
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 103.
#2201 5 years ago

If you have not picked up new plastic yet, Kydex might be be easier to pull from the mold, and more impact resistant.

Guys who make magnetic break away gun holsters swear by the stuff.

#2202 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you have not picked up new plastic yet, Kydex might be be easier to pull from the mold, and more impact resistant.
Guys who make magnetic break away gun holsters swear by the stuff.

Just got back from picking up plastic and saw your note. Checked with my supplier and they do carry it under another name but same product. Quite a bit more expensive than ABS. I'll see if I can get a sample on my next run to test. Not sure if it would be any easier than ABS or PETG to pull from the mold though. That is usually dependent upon the shape and or angles of the mold.

I did locate some black dye locally today so will be testing that as well and will post photos of both the ABS and the dyed black PETG this weekend.

#2203 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

will post photos of both the ABS and the dyed black PETG this weekend.

image.gifimage.gif

#2204 5 years ago

Do we get to see any finished product pick yet?

#2205 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Do we get to see any finished product pick yet?

OK. Still need to dye one black this evening. Here's a photo of an ABS formed ready to be finished and a completely finished clear that is basically my Master. I did the weigh comparison on an original(est .060") vs my clear PETG (.118") and as expected the clear one is almost exactly double the weight of the original.

I have ABS to produce these here now but was intrigued by Vid1900's post about Kydex. It is similar in appearance to ABS but significantly stronger. I was anticipating a charge around $65 for the black ABS Cycle Jump and probably $70 for a dyed PETG. The Kydex is significantly more expensive than ABS (2.5 times more expensive) but might be a good choice for this piece given its historic destruction. I will consider doing these in Kydex if there is interest. Expect I would ask $70-$75 for it. I can have Kydex in my hands by Wednesday.

IMG_1354 (resized).JPGIMG_1354 (resized).JPG

#2206 5 years ago

Freeplay40 you're going to make comet a very hot title.. great job making both ramps for owners!

Quoted from vid1900:

Kydex might be be easier to pull from the mold, and more impact resistant.

Holy crap!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kydex

#2207 5 years ago

I'd be in for the Kydex version at that price. Looking good as usual Mark!

#2208 5 years ago

At this point I'm thinking I'll just offer either black ABS or the Kydex version. If anyone is seriously interested in a dyed PETG Cycle Jump, let's talk.

#2209 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

At this point I'm thinking I'll just offer either black ABS or the Kydex version. If anyone is seriously interested in a dyed PETG Cycle Jump, let's talk.

Have you tried any dye colors yet?

I'd buy it in trans green (if it matches the playfield green), or trans red if the green is too hard to match.

#2210 5 years ago

Kydex sounds good to me, thanks.

#2211 5 years ago

I'm in for the smoke dye if you do them. I think translucent would balance the orange clear ramp.

#2212 5 years ago

What size Kydex do you need to sample. I have a source where I can get by the sq' ft. I can get exact dimensions that you need.

#2213 5 years ago

Kydex seems to be the one i will go for.

#2214 5 years ago

Kydex is amazing. My concealed carry holsters are made from it. I would say if its only really an up-charge of $5 -$10 from PETG or ABS, I would just use that. The other nice thing is its pretty easy to reshape it if it doesn't make it out of the mold just right. Put a wet washcloth on the areas you don't want to move, and heat it with a heat gun or hair dryer and you can reform it really easy.

Can't wait for them to be done! Seems like every time i play my comet, a piece of the corkscrew ramp comes off...lol.

#2215 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Have you tried any dye colors yet?
I'd buy it in trans green (if it matches the playfield green), or trans red if the green is too hard to match.

Quoted from CraigC:

I'm in for the smoke dye if you do them. I think translucent would balance the orange clear ramp.

I haven't developed a green yet, so dyed red or blue are OK and I will go ahead and dye a dark smoke today.

#2216 5 years ago

Oh hell yes its getting exciting now for sure! All I can say is i'm glad I own this game already otherwise i'd be scrambling to find one after all this hype. Mark i would definitely prefer to go with kydex for my cucle jump ramp.

#2217 5 years ago

Time out!!!... Tried to order the Kydex product this morning and appears I was quoted the wrong price initially. Actually over 5 times the cost of ABS. I may still be able to do it but going to shop around real quick for a better price. Typically the plastic I buy is purchased in full 4' by 8' sheets, then cut down. The Kydex product, at least with my current supplier is sold in 2' by 4' pieces. I think before I commit to it I am going to test it first.

#2218 5 years ago

OK...Stuck my neck out and found a local source for about 4 times the cost of ABS so have committed to a sheet. I will commit to a $75 price per Cycle Jump ramp made with Kydex. 1/8" ABS which is still twice as thick as the original and will also be a good choice for $65. Picking up the Kydex product tomorrow morning.

#2219 5 years ago

So what are the differences in strength and also color?
Kydex: I'm assuming is the strongest but is that in Black only also
ABS: Black VS PETG clear or died

Smoke would still be my choice if it's an option but again not a deal breaker if the Black options are much better. I agree with an above comment that the smoke would match the transparent orange better also.

#2220 5 years ago

Setting up to dye one blackish now. Will post photos either tonight or tomorrow morning.

The Kydex and ABS will be similar in appearance. Both have a textured side and a smooth side. Both are black. Texture will be on the out side of the ramp and smooth on the inside.

#2221 5 years ago

Hey Mark I don't want you to have to eat the cost of making all the rest of us a much needed part. If it takes another $10 or $15 to make sure you are compensated for all your hard work so be it. The cycle jump ramp gets the hell beat out of it so if I can get one made of kydex for a little more $$$ ghen i'm in.

#2222 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Hey Mark I don't want you to have to eat the cost of making all the rest of us a much needed part. If it takes another $10 or $15 to make sure you are compensated for all your hard work so be it. The cycle jump ramp gets the hell beat out of it so if I can get one made of kydex for a little more $$$ ghen i'm in.

+1, 100 years from now my great great grandchildren will appreciate the kydex.

#2223 5 years ago

No worries, guys. Happy to give you what you need! Also something new for me to try!

#2224 5 years ago

Freeplay40! You are amazing.

#2225 5 years ago

So I did a first attempt with a black dye and am not pleased with it. The black dye is very aggressive taking only a few minutes to really darken the plastic. I am going to greatly dilute the dye batch to slow it down for more control of the color. May also add a bit of silver dye to it.

IMG_1355 (resized).JPGIMG_1355 (resized).JPG

IMG_1356 (resized).JPGIMG_1356 (resized).JPG

#2226 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Freeplay40! You are amazing.

No........he is better than that.

#2227 5 years ago

Kydex is in the house. I've been running a wait list for Space Station ramps for quite a while so I am processing a bunch of those today. I'll post photos of the Comet Cycle Jump Kydex ramp as soon as I get one formed.

#2228 5 years ago

Now that you know prices can I pay for both? It'd help offset the cost of making them.

#2229 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

So I did a first attempt with a black dye and am not pleased with it. The black dye is very aggressive taking only a few minutes to really darken the plastic. I am going to greatly dilute the dye batch to slow it down for more control of the color. May also add a bit of silver dye to it.

Looks like you have a winner for purple.

#2230 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looks like you have a winner for purple.

Bad lighting. The black is so aggressive that it gets very dark very fast and trying to keep it lighter doesn't give it time to penetrate very well. I think I'll keep dying this one to see how black I can get it. As far as a dark smoke I'll try a silver/grey plus some black.

#2231 5 years ago

Thank you for all your hard work.

#2232 5 years ago

After a few trial and errors and the Kydex Cycle Jump ramp successfully formed. In the photo below is a ABS on the left and the two on the right are Kydex. Setting up jigs now for the machining. Getting close!

IMG_1357 (resized).JPGIMG_1357 (resized).JPG

#2233 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

After a few trial and errors and the Kydex Cycle Jump ramp successfully formed. In the photo below is a ABS on the left and the two on the right are Kydex. Setting up jigs now for the machining. Getting close!

Nice!!! Any chance you can use the cutouts to do some strength testing? I'll still go Kydex, just curious to see what happens when pressure is applied. Like does Kydex bend where ABS crack or vice versa? No need to be super scientific, just squeeze with pliers and see what happens. Thanks!!!

#2234 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Sweet. I like the sheen on the Kydex too.

#2235 5 years ago

Looking really good. The kydex should be bulletproof

#2236 5 years ago

Any pictures of Smokey clear? I'm thinking it would look like taf/tz ramp in my mind, but even if it is blotchy like fire plastics that would look like cycle exhaust and be cool.

-c

#2237 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Hmmm.. can you please post a picture what the ramp formed with ABS looks like from "above" or "underneath"? Kydex looks cool, but only the bottom side ( when installed on the playfield... )
I have marked the playfield view with a red arrow .

2018-05-14 23_01_52-Freeplay40 Ramps  Pinside Forum (resized).jpg2018-05-14 23_01_52-Freeplay40 Ramps Pinside Forum (resized).jpg

#2238 5 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

Hmmm.. can you please post a picture what the ramp formed with ABS looks like from "above" or "underneath"? Kydex looks cool, but only the bottom side ( when installed on the playfield... )
I have marked the playfield view with a red arrow .

Both the ABS and the Kydex are only textured on one side. Not sure how the texture would react if pulled in reverse with the texture against the mold so it is my intent to form them with the texture down and the smooth side up.

Quoted from CraigC:

Any pictures of Smokey clear? I'm thinking it would look like taf/tz ramp in my mind, but even if it is blotchy like fire plastics that would look like cycle exhaust and be cool.
-c

I'll try to get an example of a smokey dye as soon as I can. I'm also going to dye one red for norcalrealtor to see.

#2239 5 years ago

Well, as I was ready to begin the production on the Cycle Jump ramps, I cracked one of my two molds. I form these two at a time and with the price of Kydex, it's the only way that makes sense. The most time involved with making ramps is getting the molds just right and when you have two of them, you spend a lot of time getting them identical. Fortunately, I have a formed, not finished clear ramp that makes a perfect mold. All the work that goes into getting them just right will not have to be repeated. Tomorrow I will cast it twice and have nice finished molds that will only require minor work to begin forming...just have to wait for the casting to cure.

So this will set me back probably 10 more days. In the mean time I do have I believe 6 Kydex Cycle Jumps formed that I will go ahead and finish. I have one that will need to go with an order to France with a few other ramps, and then I'll contact a few on the top of my list. I will also get some testing done for a nice smoked and I will also dye one red.

While I'm waiting for the Cycle Jumps to cure I will probably get the Pinbot pieces cast as well.

As the world turns......

#2240 5 years ago

Bad news about losing 1 of your molds for sure. You said will be about a 10 day setback to cast another mold but then will that new mold allow you to cast both versions of the ramp? Sorry if this sounds ignorant but wasn't sure if 1 mold was for the kydex and 1 was for the abs or if the molds were interchangeable. Either way i'm sure glad you don't have to start all the way over by having that 2nd mold otherwise could have been a much bigger setback.

#2241 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

will that new mold allow you to cast both versions of the ramp? Sorry if this sounds ignorant but wasn't sure if 1 mold was for the kydex and 1 was for the abs or if the molds were interchangeable

Typically you buy sheet stock for the size of your vacuum, so to prevent waste (especially with a higher priced kydex) you want to maximize how many parts you get out of each sheet. You could cut it down, but doing one part at a time sucks for cycle time. I'm guessing he wants to spend the least amount of time forming parts.

#2242 5 years ago

Just caught up with this thread,.. I’m interested in the PINBOT rear ramp assembly, if a list is still going.
Adding the thread to my favs so I can keep up with the progress.

#2243 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Typically you buy sheet stock for the size of your vacuum, so to prevent waste (especially with a higher priced kydex) you want to maximize how many parts you get out of each sheet. You could cut it down, but doing one part at a time sucks for cycle time. I'm guessing he wants to spend the least amount of time forming parts.

Ahhh... Good to know a little better how the whole process works. Just glad it wasn't a total loss and will just be a small speed bump on the road to our new ramps.

#2244 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

But just yesterday I realized I need a phantom of the opera main red ramp

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Could you do the Phantom of the Opera Magic Mirror subway?
Chris

Quoted from jboner1058:

I know I need a phantom magic mirror subway too

I am in need of a Phantom of the Opera main ramp and mirror subway please if you make these. I can’t seem to find them anywhere.

#2245 5 years ago

I need a playfield please

#2246 5 years ago

Got the new Cycle Jump molds cast today. Wanted to just reach the finish line on a couple of the Cycle Jump ramps. Photos below show a couple angles and topside and bottom of both the ABS and the Kydex. Other than a bath, these are actually finished pieces. Wanted to get some photos before the sun went down any further.

IMG_1358 (resized).JPGIMG_1358 (resized).JPG

IMG_1359 (resized).JPGIMG_1359 (resized).JPG

IMG_1360 (resized).JPGIMG_1360 (resized).JPG

IMG_1361 (resized).JPGIMG_1361 (resized).JPG

#2247 5 years ago

Kydex vs ABS. First point is that as far as strength, the Kydex is obviously much stronger/more durable than ABS... How much more durable? ...a lot!

Secondly, the original material used for the Cycle Jump ramp, I'm guessing, was .060". Both the ABS and the Kydex I used is twice as thick.

So...

ABS...much stronger than original

Kydex...like Superman

#2249 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Which is more scratch resistant?

It's hard to find any data sheet that address scratch resistance specifically. I think this says it best...

How does KYDEX® Thermoplastic sheet compare to other plastics such as ABS and HIPS?
KYDEX® sheet is stronger, stiffer, more impact resistant, and more chemically resistant than either ABS or HIPS. KYDEX® sheet also has superior flammability characteristics compared with ABS or HIPS.

#2250 5 years ago

Kydex for the win!

Maybe think in the direction of doing more ramps in kydex
???

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 110.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Poland, OH
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/45?hl=pindelapin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.