New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 150775)

Freeplay40 Ramps

By Freeplay40

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,219 posts
  • 665 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by PinDeLaPin
  • Topic is favorited by 380 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 554 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E8FE1304-E52F-4002-9362-1466CE54E507 (resized).jpeg
124572184_358916842005717_8168906729087502350_n (resized).jpg
124554767_679766266076734_2112385640318771999_n (resized).jpg
PXL_20201103_011621444 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1454[1] (resized).JPG
PXL_20201014_035222609 (resized).jpg
20201016_073304 (resized).jpg
IMG_1451 (resized).JPG
IMG_6476 (resized).jpg
DSCN7277 (resized).JPG
C63BD060-53DA-4BAB-B23E-B4AB6846980B (resized).jpeg
B9986BE6-D7BB-4111-B986-92D9FDDD5573 (resized).jpeg
7ADD8B22-B002-49E5-B053-BED57831A558 (resized).jpeg
0BEC1DEC-4804-43CF-9A9F-DB63124C606D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4219 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 85.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Can't believe nobody has said it yet but GNR G ramps seem to be broken a lot and impossible to find.
Thank you for all that you do for us and the community btw!

PETG color availability is not the only reason.
This ramp has come up quite a few times requested over the past 20+ years.

It is actually a difficult ramp to build based on molding, angling, and height. This is another primary reason it has not been reproduced.

Fortunately, technology has moved forward.

#152 4 years ago

Since i haven't seen in it in the requests, how about WABAC and other for Rocky and Bullwinkle.

#153 4 years ago

Any chance of a remake of the blue ramp on Apollo 13?

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Been a lot of request for both of them actually. The biggest hurdle with these two ramps is the type of plastic to use. Since they have been prone to damage I would be hesitant to use acrylic for them. Further, I could source the red in acrylic but most likely not the yellow (Note that only extruded Acrylic can be vacuum formed and while most any color is available in "Cast" Acrylic, the choices in extruded are very few.) Ideally these ramps will be formed with PETG which unfortunately these days in only readily available in clear. Custom colors can be sourced overseas but are subject to minimum orders, like 2000 pounds.
That leaves only two other alternatives.... Clear that is painted or what I will be testing soon.....dyeing.

I think both GNR ramps would look fantastic as clear ramps, with a yellow/red third-party wire lighting solution following the edges. There's so much color on the PF as it is, I think I'd actually prefer them clear, or the gunmetal/smoke of the G prototype that Dave was looking into.

1 week later
#155 4 years ago

So, ramp production has been a little slow lately as I just had to get this project finished. Done today. Back on ramps!

IMG_1096_(resized).JPG

#156 4 years ago

Very nice!!!

PS...if you need a good donor ramp for checkpoint, shoot me a message. I have an undamaged one sitting here.

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Very nice!!!
PS...if you need a good donor ramp for checkpoint, shoot me a message. I have an undamaged one sitting here.

Post a photo of it?

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

So, ramp production has been a little slow lately as I just had to get this project finished. Done today. Back on ramps!

Wow Mark that looks great. You have all kinds of talent.

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Wow Mark that looks great. You have all kinds of talent.

Well, I don't really feel that talented....just handy.

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Post a photo of it?

I will get a couple posted tonight for you

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Absolutely beautiful.

#162 4 years ago

fathom looks AMAZING!

#163 4 years ago

Wasn't sure what photos you might want specifically so I took a bunch lol.

https://goo.gl/photos/EYnC8Sreg9aPax7BA

Has two small cracks, one at the entrance and one at the exit ball drop. No missing pieces and the cracks are very minor

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Wasn't sure what photos you might want specifically so I took a bunch lol.
https://goo.gl/photos/EYnC8Sreg9aPax7BA
Has two small cracks, one at the entrance and one at the exit ball drop. No missing pieces and the cracks are very minor

Nice set of photos. Good news with this ramp is that art is a non-issue. Also it appears that everything attached to the ramp is with screws and nuts....excepting the flap which would be provided. Curious how those entrance protectors are secured to the ramp.

#166 4 years ago

Yes, yes Checkpoint.
Take my money $$$$
Ramps are going to make this pin so much more desirable and off the dog list.

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Nice set of photos. Good news with this ramp is that art is a non-issue. Also it appears that everything attached to the ramp is with screws and nuts....excepting the flap which would be provided. Curious how those entrance protectors are secured to the ramp.

Thanks. I will take a closer look hopefully tonight and let you know.

The exit drop reinforcement is also riveted in place.

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Thanks. I will take a closer look hopefully tonight and let you know.
The exit drop reinforcement is also riveted in place.

I see that now. IF I make these, that part would likely need to be sent to me vs me fabricating.

#169 4 years ago

Well if you decide to move forward with it just let me know.

I've thought about putting it in my game but the ramp currently in there is doing the job so far. For the time being it's just sitting in a box.

#170 4 years ago

Started a File for Checkpoint and have our name on it. Chances are good, but it will be a while.

#171 4 years ago

I am in for a Checkpoint ramp too. Also, I would like to mention the reproduction of the right ramp from Hook.

Thank you for doing this and keep up the good work! I am still very happy with the clear Genesis ramps.

Marco

#172 4 years ago

another vote for Checkpoint

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Curious how those entrance protectors are secured to the ramp.

Protectors are held in place with very thin foam tape.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Protectors are held in place with very thin foam tape.

Interesting....probably just double back tape. I actually like that idea as allowing greater shock absorption. I thought of using silicone, but this probably makes more sense.

#175 4 years ago

Anyone coming to the NW Pinball Show? I'll be around pretty much all weekend.

#176 4 years ago

Agree with Marco on Hook. Over 6000 machines and most have broken right ramps.

#177 4 years ago

Freeplay, Have you done a run of these yet for WCS, and if not what would you need to get the ball rolling if possible?

img_2831_(resized).jpg

#178 4 years ago
#179 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Freeplay, Have you done a run of these yet for WCS, and if not what would you need to get the ball rolling if possible?

Well, first off it will require my new machine which I'm still building!

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

New WCS ramps would be amazing.

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

New WCS ramps would be amazing.

The more I look at that one, the more I want to do it. Looks challenging and fun. Put on the list of ramps I want to do. Would appreciate any info on where the original ramps are failing to see what I could do to improve.

#182 4 years ago

Any progress on the Hurricane ramp(s)?

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Any progress on the Hurricane ramp(s)?

This one (center) has been tough to get molded. I hope to have the mold completed today, then will take several days to cure and finish. Should stat forming inside of a week.

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

This one (center) has been tough to get molded. I hope to have the mold completed today, then will take several days to cure and finish. Should stat forming inside of a week.

I knew it would be a challenge, probably because its so steep and curvy. If you can, it would be cool if you could post some pics of the process here!

#185 4 years ago

Would love to have some new Party Zone Ramps.

#186 4 years ago

I've got some pretty nice ramps on my Party Zone, the left one is perfect, right one has just a small chip. I'd be happy to send them in to Freeplay to make molds when the new machine is ready. I'm about to pull the playfield soon to restore the cabinet anyway.

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Would appreciate any info on where the original ramps are failing to see what I could do to improve.

You got it!! I'll post pics of the failure areas shortly

#188 4 years ago

Okay, Here are the problem areas. In the top left corner inside the circle, that wall area is thin and takes a pretty good hit from the ball repeatedly so it cracks eventually leading to a large piece falling out and a gaping hole. The bottom left corner of the ramp also takes large hits which results in that entire corner cracking behind the metal guard that goes in front of it which covers the damage that most owners cannot see behind it. Also the entrance at the bottom is to thin resulting in cracking around the screw holes eventually leading to cracks becoming longer over time with use.

Untitled_(resized).png

#189 4 years ago

It might be a good idea to bend a metal "cliffy" around that bend.

b751c98b0d73b64f084f3ffda3fbcb53b3306a16_(resized).jpg

#190 4 years ago

do you have strange science ramp on your shot list?

#191 4 years ago

Party Zone, Demo Man, and wcs would be awesome to have.

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

do you have strange science ramp on your shot list?

There seemed to be interest a while back.
The Particle Separator ramp was already remade.
The Anti-Gravity ramp is the one, everybody needs in blue, although a new Atom Smasher would nice as well.
All completely feasible based on simpler designs.

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

There seemed to be interest a while back.
The Particle Separator ramp was already remade.
The Anti-Gravity ramp is the one, everybody needs in blue, although a new Atom Smasher would nice as well.
All completely feasible based on simpler designs.

I would be cool with it in clear also. It looks relatively simple in design and pretty small.

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would be cool with it in clear also. It looks relatively simple in design and pretty small.

Are we talking about just the stock blue piece?...Or the blue piece and the ramp? As far as blue, the only formable plastic I have is a dark blue transparent acrylic. Given the failure on that ramp, acrylic would not be a good choice. Leaves clear PETG or clear PETG painted.

#195 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Are we talking about just the stock blue piece?...Or the blue piece and the ramp? As far as blue, the only formable plastic I have is a dark blue transparent acrylic. Given the failure on that ramp, acrylic would not be a good choice. Leaves clear PETG or clear PETG painted.

Both, they equally get busted up badly.
I don't even know one owner off the top of my head that does not at least have some type of cracking on this ramp.
No factory jack squat on protection.
Cliffy protectors in some ways saved that game from a landfill.
The couple of people that I did know that bought the game NIB are now longer with us now, that was a bad sales year anyway for pinball.

#196 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It might be a good idea to bend a metal "cliffy" around that bend.

Could also consider reinforcing it with a formed additional piece of plastic to wrap around the outside and cemented in place.

Since you say the bottom of the ramp is very thin, that would mean this was likely done with a "female" mold.....other words, upright. The upper turn would also be very thin at the bottom as the plastic gets pulled down into the mold. The need for the female mold would be due to how narrow the turn to the left is and the resultant narrow gap between them. That narrow space between the upper left portions of the ramp are most likely why this was done in a female mold to avoid the plastic "webbing" which is what would happen on a male mold....tough to pull plastic down into an area like that without some assistance. I think I would lean toward a male mold and plug assist that area. Doing this on a male mold might resolve most of these issues.

#197 4 years ago

I'd be fine with a clear Anti-Gravity ramp. Mine is totally busted up pretty bad.

#198 4 years ago

any update on the pinbot parts?

#199 4 years ago

I'm in for an F-14

Scott

#200 4 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I'm in for an F-14
Scott

Clairvoyance?.... Just finishing up this mold. Will start forming in the next day or two while the Hurricane mold cures.

IMG_1097_(resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 11.95
There are 4219 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 85.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside