IMG_7483.gif
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,098 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 102.
#801 7 years ago

The Anti--Gravity ramp looks awesome Mark.

#802 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The Anti--Gravity ramp looks awesome Mark.

Yeah, it's pretty. Expect when I get around to doing Pinbot, that is the color I will use.

#803 7 years ago

Agree lighter yellow on G ramp.

#804 7 years ago

Any update on an ETA for the "Comet" ramp for Cyclone by Williams?

a (resized).jpga (resized).jpg

#805 7 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Agree lighter yellow on G ramp.

I've been experimenting with a color mix on the yellow and have decided that I will incorporate a small amount of the golden yellow, which really does not change the color much, but allows the plastic to achieve the desired result sooner. So, I will now form and color the G ramps as quick as I can.

#806 7 years ago

Simply had to watch the debate tonight...Will test Gunmetal for GnR in the morning.

Quoted from Fred802:

Any update on an ETA for the "Comet" ramp for Cyclone by Williams?

Honestly? It will certainly have to wait until I get the new larger machine running. As soon as I complete the initial runs on GnR and Strange Science, the majority of my attention will move to the new machine. There are several ramps to consider for the new machine and probably foremost, at least in my mind at this time, are Space Shuttle and Pinbot.....Pinbot reeeeaaaaly needs that transparent blue ramp.

#807 7 years ago

I would love gun metal for the G ramp vs the yellow. So if you only make one gun metal I'll buy that haha

#808 7 years ago

When do you expect to do the Wabac ramp?

Thanks for bringing back to life a lot of machine.

#809 7 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

When do you expect to do the Wabac ramp?
Thanks for bringing back to life a lot of machine.

GnR has been a new challenge and I was somewhat interrupted by a medical problem... So that said, I think I have everything in line to get busy producing the GnR ramps and will make a mold for the Wabac probably this week. I don't anticipate any problems producing the Wabac ramp. Once I have the mold (I may actually make two molds) ready I can then begin production in about a week (edit: note that I will work through the Strange Science production first) . The long and short is that I will do the Wabac in this round of ramps before I slow up a bit to work on the new machine.

#810 7 years ago
Quoted from adams_arcade:

I would love gun metal for the G ramp vs the yellow. So if you only make one gun metal I'll buy that haha

Tune back in tomorrow. I will be testing the gun metal tomorrow morning.

Up until now, I have basically made ramps on demand. As far as colored ramps are concerned, that will change a little going forward since it takes a lot to set of for the coloring process. I have been keeping a list of everyone who has indicated interest. My first run will be 20 R ramps(already produced awaiting finishing), 20 yellow G ramps and if the gun metal colors works, probably about 6 of those. I will then work through the list to see what folks want, then based on what I have left and how many still want them, I will do another run so that I get to everyone that wants one in the initial run and probably make a few extras.

Next I will then work through the Strange Science orders. All three ramps for Strange Science have been successfully formed. I will make quite a few of the blue Anti-Gravity ramps and then just a few of the other two ramps. Since I will be coloring the Anti-Gravity, I will also color one each of the other two in case anyone wants blue ones. I expect most of the demand will be just for the Anti-Gravity ramp.

Then production of the Wabac and I don't anticipate any problems with that one.

#811 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

GnR has been a new challenge and I was somewhat interrupted by a medical problem... So that said, I think I have everything in line to get busy producing the GnR ramps and will make a mold for the Wabac probably this week. I don't anticipate any problems producing the Wabac ramp. Once I have the mold (I may actually make two molds) ready I can then begin production in about a week. The long and short is that I will do the Wabac in this round of ramps before I slow up a bit to work on the new machine.

I just don't know how you do it Mark, you are the hardest worker of all the mod makers.

#812 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

For those of you patiently waiting for the Strange Science ramps, I was experimenting with the blue that I will use for the Anti-Gravity ramp and quickly colored one to show. I expect I might go a little denser on the color....but the color is right on and beautifully transparent!

nice !

#813 7 years ago

Gun Metal color took well to the plastic. Just for comparison, there is a clear G ramp and a colored red ramp. Expect I would use this going forward for any tinted ramp. Note that as far as what the gun metal looks like in person vs the photo, it is pretty much right on.

Gun Metal (resized).JPGGun Metal (resized).JPG

#814 7 years ago

Do I see a pack of Camel's in that pic??!! Mark, do I have to actually type it????

#815 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Do I see a pack of Camel's in that pic??!! Mark, do I have to actually type it????

Funny...wondered if anyone would notice....Struggling with the smokes. Seeing my Doctor tomorrow and will go the Chantix route. Did it once in the past and worked well. Incentive much higher this time.

#816 7 years ago

So now we know how smoked ramps are made!

#817 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Funny...wondered if anyone would notice....Struggling with the smokes. Seeing my Doctor tomorrow and will go the Chantix route. Did it once in the past and worked well. Incentive much higher this time.

Mark, you need to kick this NOW!

I don't care what it takes, just do it.

For me, i read a book and never looked back. Allen Carr the easy way
Https://psv4.vk.me/c537517/u219081570/docs/42a12a4c8958/Allen_Carr-Easy_Way_To_Stop_Smoking.pdf?extra=tETLKPNI0S5k3zKARlLGVI0LLVFO0P1nZAPc-m8vLJDF9na7vews7ciVNZVKBNFXyhTjK5GmsKMSxxwkN3pp_QleDtBgLfHcR-URgxHyVQ

#818 7 years ago

That was supposed to be a link to a pdf of it.

#819 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Pinbot.....Pinbot reeeeaaaaly needs that transparent blue ramp.

Hope you're feeling well! When you get around to Pinbot, I would very much like to see a topper. Mine is missing, as well as the lighting harness but I'm hoping to figure that out. Be well.

#820 7 years ago

Patch worked for me to quit. Just don't sleep with it on lol

#821 7 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Patch worked for me to quit. Just don't sleep with it on lol

I do remember the vivid dreams. Recall one doctor saying, "some think the dreams are pretty cool".

#822 7 years ago

Wasn't the dreams for me rather I didn't smoke sleeping and found it made me want more nicotine. So I took it off at bed time and stuck it back on if I didn't fall asleep. I also found the largest patch to be too much and didn't follow their recommendations. I was only on it for a week then I stayed on the middle patch for a few months.

Oh and I failed at quitting quite often. Everyone used to joke how many times I quit. Well it finally stuck.

#823 7 years ago

Nice blue on that Anti-Gravity ramp.
Question. Does this ramp include the little clear ramp that the blue one feeds into?

#824 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

As far as colored ramps are concerned, that will change a little going forward since it takes a lot to set of for the coloring process

Can you elaborate a bit on how it's done? I don't mean to ask you to reveal any of your secret sauce or anything.. just curious how the process is done. I would have thought the plastic was actually died while liquid form. To hear you die it after molding no less sounds pretty interesting and I'm just curious how its done!

Thx!

#825 7 years ago

Some plastics are really porous. He's also heating the bath which helps the dye get in.

#826 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Can you elaborate a bit on how it's done? I don't mean to ask you to reveal any of your secret sauce or anything.. just curious how the process is done. I would have thought the plastic was actually died while liquid form. To hear you die it after molding no less sounds pretty interesting and I'm just curious how its done!
Thx!

Quoted from jwilson:

Some plastics are really porous. He's also heating the bath which helps the dye get in.

The dye bath must be heated in order for the plastic to take the color. The real trick is very tight temperature control. If the bath is too hot, the plastic will deform. If too cold the dye won't penetrate well.

#827 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Nice blue on that Anti-Gravity ramp.
Question. Does this ramp include the little clear ramp that the blue one feeds into?

That is a separate ramp and I will also be offering it as well as the large Particle Separator ramp.

#828 7 years ago

I solicited some feedback on the Gun Metal coloring of the GnR G ramp. Under the lighting in my kitchen we thought it looked a little more bronze, so I took another photo today in natural light.

IMG_1230 (resized).JPGIMG_1230 (resized).JPG

#829 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

That is a separate ramp and I will also be offering it as well as the large Particle Separator ramp.

awesome. thanks.

#830 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

The dye bath must be heated in order for the plastic to take the color. The real trick is very tight temperature control. If the bath is too hot, the plastic will deform. If too cold the dye won't penetrate well.

So its a dunk tank? pretty cool. That's kind of what I was asking.. if it was some sort of vaporization, melt on, soak, etc. Just fascinated by the production details. Thx for sharing

#831 7 years ago

I'm running cyclone comet right now.

#832 7 years ago

Is there a way to see all of the ramps you have available or can make on demand? Maybe one post in this thread (first post) could be used to keep that info current? Looks like great stuff!

#833 7 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

Is there a way to see all of the ramps you have available or can make on demand? Maybe one post in this thread (first post) could be used to keep that info current? Looks like great stuff!

I recently did a list of what I have made and what I am currently working on... Can be found here about half way down the page....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/14

#834 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Can you look into the dr who time expander cover. It looks simple to mold can be left bare plastic as the decal is sold at planetary pinball.

Yes, I'd like one of these, as would others that have already posted in the other thread.

#835 7 years ago

Love your work!!!

Mike in Kentucky

#836 7 years ago

The anti-grav ramp looks great. It's awesome that you're remaking these. Thank you!

#837 7 years ago

When it's your birthday and your dad makes killer ramps, you get sweet ramps for your new custom pin. Here is a pic of the molds we made trying some new workflows. Picking up the finished ramps tonight. They will be in our booth at Expo too.

Codename Ramp MoldsCodename Ramp Molds

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#838 7 years ago

I quit smoking over 8 years ago (started @ 13 with first job as dishwasher), cold-turkey, with HUGE free help from Joel Spitzer. Just watch his videos when you're feeling the friggin' itch. And keep watching. I'll never be a slave to nicotine again.

https://www.youtube.com/user/joelspitz

#839 7 years ago

Drinking ridiculous amounts of water whenever I got the urge to smoke helped me quit 4 years ago. Flushes your system out from what I understand. I'm talking a gallon a day at least.

#840 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

When it's your birthday and your dad makes killer ramps, you get sweet ramps for your new custom pin. Here is a pic of the molds we made trying some new workflows. Picking up the finished ramps tonight. They will be in our booth at Expo too.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

Those look like wood molds. Is there any problem with getting the plastic to release from the wood? Do you cover the wood with something?

#841 7 years ago

This was a very rushed job. Aaron had actually done some 3D printing of the basic ramps. We then incorporated wood and Bondo to finish sculpting them. Wood is OK to use within a mold, but when you vacuum form wood, you pick up the wood grain clearly. Same goes for the 3D printed pieces within those molds. We used Bondo to smooth them out as best we could on a tight timeframe. Coupled with the stroke I had, 2 14 hour days kicked my ass. So today I am resting. Whew!

#842 7 years ago

You're definitely giving me incentive to try my hand at forming my own ramps. What kind of heat source do you use?

I love the whirlpool style ramp. I'm actually thinking of using something similar on my game.

#843 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

You're definitely giving me incentive to try my hand at forming my own ramps. What kind of heat source do you use?
I love the whirlpool style ramp. I'm actually thinking of using something similar on my game.

I am embarrassed to say that everything I have made so far has been heated in a household oven. Clearly this limits the size of the ramps you can do. The new machine I am build will have a sliding heater panel with around 40 ceramic elements.

#844 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I am embarrassed to say that everything I have made so far has been heated in a household oven. Clearly this limits the size of the ramps you can do. The new machine I am build will have a sliding heater panel with around 40 ceramic elements.

Your output looks stunning .. regardless of the tools in use! This kind of news is really encouraging for a part of the parts hobby that has historically been problematic. Your work is motivational

#845 7 years ago

I knew ovens were used but I didn't realize you were using an oven. Like Flynnibus said, that's motivational.

#846 7 years ago

Mike modeled the ramp molds from the Future Pinball mockup that Mark made. We are focused on creating repeatable processes to get more people making rad new pins. After going through the process once we have some adjustments to make to speed up the ramp finishing process. Overall, pretty cool to see it come together so quick.

Here are a pics of the 3D printed molds before final prep:

IMG_8481 (resized).JPGIMG_8481 (resized).JPGIMG_8473 (resized).JPGIMG_8473 (resized).JPGIMG_8462 (resized).JPGIMG_8462 (resized).JPGIMG_8439 (resized).JPGIMG_8439 (resized).JPGIMG_8452 (resized).JPGIMG_8452 (resized).JPG

I will bring the molds with my to Expo if anyone would like to see them first hand.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#847 7 years ago

Here are most of the ramps for the Codename pin we worked on this weekend. The last is the whirlpool ramp which is getting pulled tomorrow.

These need to have the edges and ends trimmed a bit still. We left the extra plastic to give us options for mounting. Then we can cut the excess.

IMG_8509 (resized).JPGIMG_8509 (resized).JPG

Here is a rendering of what the right ramps look like when they are all tied in together.

IMG_5955 (resized).JPGIMG_5955 (resized).JPG

Love this stuff!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#848 7 years ago

Can i get added to the list for GNR ramps.

#849 7 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

Can i get added to the list for GNR ramps.

Yup and done.

#850 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

We are focused on creating repeatable processes to get more people making rad new pins

I was going to just 3d print all my ramps, but I may take you up on some professional vacuum formed ramps at some point.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
There are 5,098 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 102.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.