Topic Stats

• 3,741 posts
  • 594 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Freeplay40
  • Topic is favorited by 340 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 458 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

73452DDF-9DEB-434A-B010-008E44F5E6B3 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
received_434946987313828 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20191106_183142686 (resized).jpg
BCFDAD5F-9992-4B30-82F8-F249954DDA72 (resized).jpeg
A6D455C7-A027-4BFF-A53F-0923AC1DB65C (resized).jpeg
IMG_1578 (resized).JPG
5cbc34cfd8b096523e1c8b8fd0d7ef287e3eb5e6 (resized).png
IMG_1323 (resized).JPG
IMG_1101 (resized).JPG
IMG_1324 (resized).JPG
IMG_1255 (resized).JPG
IMG_1253 (resized).JPG
0E6F7F1F-B8A1-476C-A5AC-F9B6A8F359D9 (resized).jpeg
840A5C03-43F6-43CC-971A-7EEC3B9AAAFC (resized).jpeg
10BE131E-4362-49D1-8846-53AAC933D4DD (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 3741 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 75.
#751 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Mostly the lighting and the original is pretty dirty.

That's what I thought.

#752 3 years ago

The clear Genesis ramps look great, thank you very much and I hope ur feeling better.

#753 3 years ago

So, Mark, now that you've figured this color thing out, have you considered taking on the yellow Road Show ramps?
PS. Glad you're feeling better, don't forget the CoQ-10 to go with your statin!

#754 3 years ago

Any future plans for data east Batman or ninja turtles?

#755 3 years ago

Feeling better. Probably about as good as I'm going to feel for a least a while. All that remains is that my right side is basically numb....at least with respect to hot and cold. I'm told that this too can fade over time. Fortunately I did not lose anything else...Whew!

Still working out some bugs on the coloring of ramps, but going well. Hope to have the first batch of the GnR red ramps colored today, then will move to the G ramp. Once I get some done I will finish a set for Scott (donor) and get those shipped right away. Hopefully when he gets them he can do a quick test fit for us while I get the production going on the rest.

Quoted from Lysurgeon:

Any future plans for data east Batman or ninja turtles?

Both have been talked about. For Batman, I need to get the green right. For Ninja turtles...will have to wait for consideration on the new machine.

Quoted from TheOnlyest:

So, Mark, now that you've figured this color thing out, have you considered taking on the yellow Road Show ramps?

Will consider Road Show after I get the initial runs done for GnR, Strange Science and the Wabac.

#756 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I have already shipped the DE Star Trek 25 subway ramps to,

Let me know when batch 2 starts. I don't need one right away; but I do want to get one for my NOS PF ... so when/if I do a restore I have a ramp.

#757 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Let me know when batch 2 starts. I don't need one right away; but I do want to get one for my NOS PF ... so when/if I do a restore I have a ramp.

No worries. Just let me know when you want one.

#758 3 years ago

Freeplay40 you are the "Cliffy" of ramp manufacture!! Stay healthy and keep up the great work!

#759 3 years ago

So...coloring ramps is a new process for me and it invariably takes a while to work out the bugs. Took me all day today to get the process right and that netted 5 "R" ramps that are now ready for final machining. Today...5 successful...10 failures. I want to get a rack of at least 12 of both ramps before I start finishing them for this first round. Will form some more R ramps tonight and tomorrow morning then finish coloring them tomorrow as well before I move on to the G ramp.

Whew! I guess if it was easy, everyone would do it! Late in the day when I took this photo and as usual, the red looks much richer in person.

IMG_1214 (resized).JPG

#760 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

So...coloring ramps is a new process for me and it invariably takes a while to work out the bugs. Took me all day today to get the process right and that netted 5 "R" ramps that are now ready for final machining. Today...5 successful...10 failures. I want to get a rack of at least 12 of both ramps before I start finishing them for this first round. Will form some more R ramps tonight and tomorrow morning then finish coloring them tomorrow as well before I move on to the G ramp.
Whew! I guess if it was easy, everyone would do it! Late in the day when I took this photo and as usual, the red looks much richer in person.

Ouch, that's a tough failure rate. Too bad you can't color them before you do the forming, but I imagine that the heat and stretching would ruin any color you applied. Are the ones that didn't work ruined, or just the wrong color?

#761 3 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

Are the ones that didn't work ruined, or just the wrong color?

The color is fine, but for the first few I did I rough cut out the center section and given the heat required to get the color to take to the plastic, I had some warping. The heat necessary to get the PETG to take the color is within just a few degrees of where the plastic can deform. The forming process yields the thinnest plastic at the inside edge towards the end of the ramp and that is where it would deform...So I just quit cutting out the center until after the color is applied....this allows that portion of the ramp to be supported while the color takes.

#762 3 years ago

FreePlay, has anyone inquired about getting this ramp done for Junkyard?

IMG_20160921_193546.jpg

#763 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I have not seen a Buzzard ramp in 10+ years.

#764 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I think that's the first I have heard of it. We'll see if any others chime in.

#765 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I think that's the first I have heard of it. We'll see if any others chime in.

Almost every one of these that I have seen has the two ears broken off at the bottom. Unfortunately I had to pass on buying any of them because of it. That entire assembly was $200 when it was in stock apparently. That's insane.

#766 3 years ago

Mark, are you coming out to Expo in Chicago in Oct?

I would like to meet and chat in person if so! I am super thankful for all you are doing and would liek to say so in person.

#767 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Almost every one of these that I have seen has the two ears broken off at the bottom. Unfortunately I had to pass on buying any of them because of it. That entire assembly was $200 when it was in stock apparently. That's insane.

I sold my JY many years ago ($2K) with a broken ramp. When I looked for it back then I could only find it out of stock but $400 price.

Now if you look around you will find it still OOS but $43 at BAA to $150 somewhere else.

Last year I bought another JY and the first thing I check was that ramp.

#768 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I sold my JY many years ago ($2K) with a broken ramp. When I looked for it back then I could only find it out of stock but $400 price.
Now if you look around you will find it still OOS but $43 at BAA to $150 somewhere else.
Last year I bought another JY and the first thing I check was that ramp.

What is BAA? Marco was the only place that I have seen it listed for sale, but of course its not in stock

#769 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

What is BAA? Marco was the only place that I have seen it listed for sale, but of course its not in stock

Bay Area Amusements.

#770 3 years ago

I would probably consider just making the ramp. The metal exit piece, light dome and wiring would really drive up the cost on low production run. Also, I would not be able to provide the decals.

#771 3 years ago

That buzzard ramp is rare...I put in a vote for that!

#772 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Mark, are you coming out to Expo in Chicago in Oct?
I would like to meet and chat in person if so! I am super thankful for all you are doing and would liek to say so in person.

Sorry. No intention of coming to the Expo. Too busy making ramps! However, extended to everyone...if ever in Seattle and want to see this stuff, I welcome all Pinball enthusiasts and always willing to chat on the phone!

#773 3 years ago

FP40 - I'd be in for two of those JY buzzard ramps.

And when you get your larger machine working, sign me up for a TZ subway and WCS ramps..!

#774 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Sorry. No intention of coming to the Expo. Too busy making ramps! However, extended to everyone...if ever in Seattle and want to see this stuff, I welcome all Pinball enthusiasts and always willing to chat on the phone!

My best buddy will hopefully be having his first kid next year so that will be an excuse to come out.

#775 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

FP40 - I'd be in for two of those JY buzzard ramps.
And when you get your larger machine working, sign me up for a TZ subway and WCS ramps..!

I think I read in one of the other threads (maybe the Unobtainium post) that PPS was working on getting the WCS ramp made. If when the time comes that I could do it, and they have not done it I will seriously consider that one.

#776 3 years ago

Progress report. As of a day or two ago, my goal was to complete a dozen sets (will also be sold individually) of the GnR ramps. However, given the set up for the coloring process, I am going to increase the initial run up to around 20 sets. Last night I completed the coloring process on 16 of the R ramps and will do at least 4 more today and then form more G ramps and begin the coloring process on those either later today or tomorrow. The reds are gorgeous and I will try and post another photo later today.

I went through a lot of plastic with the R ramp so picking up another order today. I'm getting there!

#777 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I think I read in one of the other threads (maybe the Unobtainium post) that PPS was working on getting the WCS ramp made. If when the time comes that I could do it, and they have not done it I will seriously consider that one.

Ah, cool! I hadn't seen that, so that works out.

(By the way, I've been quiet, to keep thread noise down, but the coloring is awesome. Good work there!)

#778 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Ah, cool! I hadn't seen that, so that works out.
(By the way, I've been quiet, to keep thread noise down, but the coloring is awesome. Good work there!)

I'm really pleased with the way the red has come out. Now to get the yellow right. Keep the noise coming!

#779 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I'm really pleased with the way the red has come out. Now to get the yellow right. Keep the noise coming!

Okay, fine - here's some noise!
In the future, if we wanted a ramp that's normally NOT colored, but wanted a color, could we gives a little extra $ for the coloring process?

#780 3 years ago

Mark:

Sorry to hear about the health scare, but am glad to hear all the tests came back "good". Please take care of yourself!

Finally got my High Speed ramp installed after making a sweet freeway waterslide decal (thanks, Vid for all the posts stressing their versatility) to install on the underside. That clear ramp is just incredible - keep up the great work!

Cheers and stay well!

#781 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, fine - here's some noise!
In the future, if we wanted a ramp that's normally NOT colored, but wanted a color, could we gives a little extra $ for the coloring process?

Probably!...so long as the color was doable.

#782 3 years ago

Here's a bright sunshine shot of 16 GnR R ramps ready to be machined. 4 more being colored right now for a total of 20 for the first round. Also a side by side of new vs old.

IMG_1215 (resized).JPG

IMG_1217 (resized).JPG

#783 3 years ago

D R O O L !!!!

Dang that's pretty!

#784 3 years ago

I have a question, do you ever use that hot tub? It sure makes a good stage for your ramps.

#785 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I would probably consider just making the ramp.

Thats perfectly fine by me!!!

#786 3 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

I have a question, do you ever use that hot tub?

Actually I don't. It works, but just costs a fortune to heat it.

#787 3 years ago
Quoted from scottmaggie:

D R O O L !!!!
Dang that's pretty!

As soon as I get a G done, I will complete a set for you ASAP and shoot them and your originals back to you....Then I will start production for all who want them.

#788 3 years ago

Mark

Looks like we are stalled with the TRANSPORTER ramps. Is there any opportunity in coming up with something palatable for this game?

#789 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Mark
Looks like we are stalled with the TRANSPORTER ramps. Is there any opportunity in coming up with something palatable for this game?

I thought PPS said they found the mold and were going to reproduce it. To be honest, if a true repro is coming I would probably not want to do a stop gap. Did PPS post something?

#790 3 years ago

I did not realize the demand for the r ramp,I just thought the g ramp is always cracked,I better look at mine

#791 3 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I did not realize the demand for the r ramp,I just thought the g ramp is always cracked,I better look at mine

As far as I know the R ramp has not been available for a long time and are certainly showing their age. Looking at the one I got as a donor, the switch plate riveted to the side of the ramp was, in my juvenile opinion, riveted incorrectly (roll over portion of the rivet against plastic...no-no). Roll over portion of the rivet should not be crimped directly over plastic, rather there should be a washer. When I install the new switch bracket I will rivet correctly with the head of the rivet on the inside of the ramp and the roll over against the switch plate. Note that opposite the rivets there is a cut-out in the ramp to facilitate riveting. I can rivet these without that cut-out so I will eliminate it which will look better.

#792 3 years ago

Tight work Mark!! Rivet lesson for all. Look forward to Strange Science ramps in few weeks when you get the chance.
Feel better and take it easy, no hurry.

#793 3 years ago

Guns n Roses G ramp.

I'm struggling a bit with the coloring of the G ramp. It is clear that I cannot exactly match the original color as it is a yellow with a green hue. I have two choices for yellow.. Basically yellow and golden yellow. First photo below shows the original and one dyed yellow and one dyed golden yellow. The yellow is a nice transparent yellow but not as dense as the original. The golden yellow just looks like the original, maybe aged a couple hundred years more!

Second photo is just the new red beside the yellow.

Third photo is just the yellow beside the original.

The fourth photo is the new yellow, the original and Nelly's reproduction. Nelly hit the color about as good as possible, but the plastic is not as transparent as I would like...nor as transparent as the R ramp.

I will try one more mix to see if I can increase the density of the color by starting with a base Yellow and adding a small amount of Golden Yellow.

Yel Gold Yel Orig (resized).JPG

New Red New Yellow (resized).JPG

Yellow vs Original (resized).JPG

IMG_1225 (resized).JPG

#794 3 years ago

One more note. Per Pinsider Nelly, there had been some interest in a Gun Metal G ramp. I am going to test that today as well.

#795 3 years ago

Can you get green dye. It would look sweet in green. Would match the red and green used all over the game

#796 3 years ago

For those of you patiently waiting for the Strange Science ramps, I was experimenting with the blue that I will use for the Anti-Gravity ramp and quickly colored one to show. I expect I might go a little denser on the color....but the color is right on and beautifully transparent!

IMG_1226 (resized).JPG

#797 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Can you get green dye. It would look sweet in green. Would match the red and green used all over the game

The "green" which is the same green that Batman Forever needs, I have not yet been able to match.

#798 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Oof. Thing would look like a Christmas tree.

Gun metal/smoke would look slick, if the R was done to match.

#799 3 years ago

I like the look of the lighter yellow. I think it would work well. I wish I had one of my production ramps to send you. They were much more transparent than the ones I sent you and would have been better for color matching.

Smoked would look fantastic in this game. Just not too dark.

#800 3 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

I like the look of the lighter yellow. I think it would work well. I wish I had one of my production ramps to send you. They were much more transparent than the ones I sent you and would have been better for color matching.
Smoked would look fantastic in this game. Just not too dark.

You did a great job matching the color. Personally I too lean toward the lighter yellow. With the System 11 games I've done where we replaced the black ABS ramps, the overwhelming choice has been the clears since they pick up the light so well. That's why I lean toward the lighter. Testing a mix right now which I hope will simply increase the color density.

Hope to test the Gun Metal today also.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Allen, TX
There are 3741 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 75.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside