IMG_7483.gif
IMG_1874 (resized).JPG
IMG_1873 (resized).JPG
IMG_1871 (resized).JPG
IMG_1872 (resized).JPG
DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_7422.gif

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 102 of 103.
#5051 3 months ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

Where did you buy it from, the moon?

-Offtopic-
It's built to order based from Brazil or Hungary.
4 weeks is nothing in pinball world, you know it very well

#5052 3 months ago
24CD9589-8561-4949-90E5-F8A0F2FB1C6D (resized).jpeg24CD9589-8561-4949-90E5-F8A0F2FB1C6D (resized).jpeg8B899D9C-499E-4433-9F57-0AB97DBAB1DC (resized).jpeg8B899D9C-499E-4433-9F57-0AB97DBAB1DC (resized).jpeg
#5053 3 months ago

Those are beautiful.

#5054 3 months ago

More Dredd! This is the two-piece lunar landscape subway set. Two pieces to go. Mold for the Blackout ramp is ready, but needs to be done on the larger machine. Hoping to have the BIG ramp mold ready tomorrow. Then on to building the new larger platen for the machine.

IMG_1870 (resized).JPGIMG_1870 (resized).JPG

#5055 3 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

More Dredd! This is the two-piece lunar landscape subway set. Two pieces to go. Mold for the Blackout ramp is ready, but needs to be done on the larger machine. Hoping to have the BIG ramp mold ready tomorrow. Then on to building the new larger platen for the machine.
[quoted image]

This is awesome. The ramps are a mess on my Judge Dredd. A ramp set is the last set of parts I need to get the machine back together. I can use a set as soon as they are ready.

3 weeks later
#5056 66 days ago

Judge Dredd update... I've been pretty quiet lately, so thought I'd give this update. There are a total of 7 pieces in the Judge Dredd ramp set. What I call the nonfunctional lunar subway is actually two of those 7 pieces. With the functional subway, we have three pieces below the playfield and 4 above the playfield. I have successfully formed 6 of the 7 pieces. Of course the one left to form is the BIG ramp. So far I have had 4 failed attempts to form this ramp.

I designed my big machine to accommodate plastic of varying length but only 24" wide which nets a formable area about 22" wide. Given that most pinball playfields are about 20" rail to rail, this width is sufficient for most ramps. Judge Dredd, however being a wide body, the BIG ramp is wider than the max width that would fit in a non-wide body game. The big ramp at its widest point is over 21". Technically, that sounds doable, but given the ramp's contour which affects the height of the mold, there must also be draft angles in the mold to facilitate the mold to release after forming. All that said, this mold pushes my width ability to the absolute maximum attemptable.

Over the past week I have made various modifications to my machine in attempts to accommodate this width problem. I will make one more attempt to form this today, but I am not sure it will work and more importantly, work consistently.

Now not to fear... In making the mold for the BIG ramp, I effectively destroyed my own ramp....so I am incented to solve this. And, I am sure I can. If my attempt today fails, I will need to build an additional platen specific for this ramp which should solve the width issue. Without going into detail, I simply need to make a deeper platen. Today is Friday, and as I want to get this resolved this weekend, I have already ordered some additional steel that I will pick up today, that I would need to do this.

So stay tuned as I work through these challenges...

#5057 66 days ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Judge Dredd update... I've been pretty quiet lately, so thought I'd give this update. There are a total of 7 pieces in the Judge Dredd ramp set. What I call the nonfunctional lunar subway is actually two of those 7 pieces. With the functional subway, we have three pieces below the playfield and 4 above the playfield. I have successfully formed 6 of the 7 pieces. Of course the one left to form is the BIG ramp. So far I have had 4 failed attempts to form this ramp.
I designed my big machine to accommodate plastic of varying length but only 24" wide which nets a formable area about 22" wide. Given that most pinball playfields are about 20" rail to rail, this width is sufficient for most ramps. Judge Dredd, however being a wide body, the BIG ramp is wider than the max width that would fit in a non-wide body game. The big ramp at its widest point is over 21". Technically, that sounds doable, but given the ramp's contour which affects the height of the mold, there must also be draft angles in the mold to facilitate the mold to release after forming. All that said, this mold pushes my width ability to the absolute maximum attemptable.
Over the past week I have made various modifications to may machine in attempts to accommodate this width problem. I will make one more attempt to form this today, but I am not sure it will work and more importantly, work consistently.
Now not to fear... In making the mold for the BIG ramp, I effectively destroyed my own ramp....so I am incented to solve this. And, I am sure I can. If my attempt today fails, I will need to build an additional platen specific for this ramp which should solve the width issue. Without going into detail, I simply need to make a deeper platen. Today is Friday, and as I want to get this resolved this weekend, I have already ordered some additional steel that I will pick up today, that I would need to do this.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your original large ramp. Hope you get it resolved soon! It is exciting to hear the others worked out ok and that you are almost there. Ramps/flaps are the only piece left now that I need to get my Judge Dredd back together. Been sitting for a year. Will be great to finally be able to get that together.

#5058 66 days ago

Good luck Freeplay40 we're all cheering you to this finish line.

#5059 66 days ago

Ive had a couple "sweaty palm" moments myself when making ramp molds from an irreplaceable ramp I borrowed from someone. One way or another, it always works out though. As we have said many times, every new ramp project is different from the previous ones!

#5060 66 days ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Over the past week I have made various modifications to may machine in attempts to accommodate this width problem. I will make one more attempt to form this today, but I am not sure it will work and more importantly, work consistently.

Is this a help for you?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/84#post-5912645

#5061 65 days ago

That's a photo I posted a while back. That is one of the original molds and is all aluminum probably 25" or 26" wide. Would have been formed on a machine larger than mine!

#5062 65 days ago

Thank you for all your hard work and can do attitude! Hope this weekend goes as expected and you prevail with your upgrades to create the massive ramp! Cannot wait to get all these parts replaced in my Dredd!

#5063 65 days ago

Thanks for the update and hope it goes well this weekend for you.

#5064 65 days ago

appreciate all your effort, brother!

1 week later
#5065 53 days ago

So.... Good day today. After spending nearly 2 weeks to redesign a platen specifically for the Judge Dredd big ramp, after an initial forming failure today, on my second try after making a few tweaks to both the platen and the forming process, I successfully formed the monster. I have rough cut the ramp out of the form and will spend tomorrow hand finishing the first one. Once it is finished, I will be test fit all the pieces in the game. Once I am satisfied with the fits, I will spend a couple days just forming and rough cutting out the pieces. Once I have a bunch ready I will start finishing them. With the loss of our favorite resin for molds and the difficulty with the big ramp, this has been the toughest project so far....but feels real good to be at this point.

#5066 53 days ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

So.... Good day today. After spending nearly 2 weeks to redesign a platen specifically for the Judge Dredd big ramp, after an initial forming failure today, on my second try after making a few tweaks to both the platen and the forming process, I successfully formed the monster. I have rough cut the ramp out of the form and will spend tomorrow hand finishing the first one. Once it is finished, I will be test fit all the pieces in the game. Once I am satisfied with the fits, I will spend a couple days just forming and rough cutting out the pieces. Once I have a bunch ready I will start finishing them. With the loss of our favorite resin for molds and the difficulty with the big ramp, this has been the toughest project so far....but feels real good to be at this point.

Getting excited!

IMG_7422.gifIMG_7422.gif
#5067 53 days ago

Great work!! If you have a waitlist for the Dredd ramps, please add me.

#5068 53 days ago

Awesome news! Thank you sooooo much for all your time and hard work! I can’t wait to place my order! Going to be a great year for pinball thanks to you!

#5069 53 days ago

The only reason that I am excited is because you said The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends is next.

#5070 53 days ago
Quoted from Mope161616:

The only reason that I am excited is because you said The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends is next.

I hope so! I need ramps for that too.

#5071 53 days ago

Sounds great. I’m definitely in for a set of JD.

Thanks again. I just turned 49

Quoted from Freeplay40:

Exciting news!! Thank you for the work you do!!

#5072 53 days ago

So basically, you are killing the value of these including the rest of them that I was hoping would help finance my retirement?

Thanks a lot. Thanks a whole lot.

Just kidding. Haha.

DSCN8848 (resized).JPGDSCN8848 (resized).JPG
#5073 53 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

So basically, you are killing the value of these including the rest of them that I was hoping would help finance my retirement?
Just kidding. Haha.[quoted image]

Go Ebay before it's too late!!!

#5074 53 days ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Go Ebay before it's too late!!!

Lol. That's the second set of NOS I've owned just in case. First set I sold years ago when I thought I was done. I'm keeping them.

Glad you are doing what you are so nobody will make me feel guilty for hoarding them again.

#5075 53 days ago
Quoted from Mope161616:

I was hoping Grand Lizard was next...

#5076 53 days ago

my fingers crossed for the grand Lizzie

#5077 53 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just kidding. Haha.[quoted image]

I shall bequeath thee 4 shiny pence and a how do you do for that fine ware my good Sir…

1 week later
#5078 42 days ago

They do exist! Sun came out so I thought I'd share some photos of the last two pieces for Judge Dredd.

IMG_1871 (resized).JPGIMG_1871 (resized).JPGIMG_1872 (resized).JPGIMG_1872 (resized).JPGIMG_1873 (resized).JPGIMG_1873 (resized).JPGIMG_1874 (resized).JPGIMG_1874 (resized).JPG
#5079 42 days ago

awesome!

#5080 42 days ago

Please let me know when I can order a set of the Judge Dredd ramps. Awesome.

#5081 41 days ago

Nice work!

#5082 37 days ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

They do exist! Sun came out so I thought I'd share some photos of the last two pieces for Judge Dredd.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

IMG_7483.gifIMG_7483.gif
#5083 31 days ago

The Dredd's are here!

I will begin notifying those on my list later today. If you know you are on my list and no longer interested, please let me know. I still have a lot of ramps to make, but I have a good deal already to ship. What people order will help me adjust production to fit the needs.

Regardless of where you are on my list, if you want to let me know what you want, I would appreciate that a lot, again so I can adjust production.

The first thing I noticed when removing the ramps from my own game is that they were very fragile. I immediately made the decision to make all of the Dredd pieces out of my thicker (.150") plastic for greater strength and durability. I think the most fragile was the big ramp. When I removed it I had to be careful to support it as I thought it would just break in my hands! In addition to making them out of thicker plastic, I also corrected some items and where I could, I left more plastic for strength, particularly at mounting points. Although I ended up destroying my own ramps in the molding process, they were in very good shape for making the molds. The only actual breakage I had was at the big ramp right side exit. The mounting tab had broken off and this is one point where I left more plastic for strength. All in all I am very pleased with the results of all of the pieces.

One other thing I noted that I would like everyone to check when assembling the pieces. On the Big ramp at the center Exit (to Dead World) the two brackets at the exit I found to be a little tight with respect to how they fit, specifically the top edges where they meet the underside of the top edge of the ramp. I checked the fit against the original ramp and it is was also tight. Once the pieces are riveted to the ramp, I feel they will put additional stress on the top edge of the ramp. So, I will be shaving my own bracket tops down about 1/16".

The ramps are being offered without decals and without any metal beyond the entrance flaps. There are I think 16 pieces in total that the whole set that need to be riveted to the new ramp. If I were to provide these 16 pieces, I suspect the cost overall would increase $150-$175, so I promote reusing your existing metal.

All pieces are pre-drilled for the metal that must be transferred. Odin noted that on the prototype Big ramp, one of the optic sensors was mounted down near the entrance to the ramp vs at the upper left corner. I am reproducing the ramp as if that sensor is in the upper left corner. If you have a Prototype Big ramp that has this optic sensor down near the entrance and want to preserve it, let me know and I will send you a Big ramp without the pre-drilling at the upper left corner. You would need to position your sensor on the ramp then mark and drill the mounting holes for the bracket and the two 1/4" holes in the side of the ramp.

I am also not providing decals and I was easily able to remove my own. They cleaned up beautifully and I will reuse them. As soon as I take a break from ramp making, I will assemble my own set of ramps and post pics. If you want a new set of NOS Dredd Decals, there are some available to purchase at Pinball Inc. Note that as I write this they only have 12 left in stock.

https://www.pinballinc.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=120&product_id=292

Prices:

Big ramp $235
Stakeout ramp $125
Air Raid ramp $65
Black Out Ramp $130
Functional Subway $65
2 Piece Dead World Subway $115 (This is a non functional subway.

There is a full set discount of $35

For those interested, JodyG here on Pinside (aka rampomatic.com) has hand held rivet kits for sale.

Also check out his tutorials for both riveting and reusing decals!

Sun came out today so took outside photos.
IMG_1878 (resized).JPGIMG_1878 (resized).JPGIMG_1880 (resized).JPGIMG_1880 (resized).JPGIMG_1881 (resized).JPGIMG_1881 (resized).JPGIMG_1882 (resized).JPGIMG_1882 (resized).JPGIMG_1883 (resized).JPGIMG_1883 (resized).JPGIMG_1884 (resized).JPGIMG_1884 (resized).JPGIMG_1885 (resized).JPGIMG_1885 (resized).JPG

#5084 31 days ago

So i follow this post to see what's in store, always pays to know what ramps are out there in case of an impulse machine buy. I've had 2 of freeplays ramps in the past (high speed and swords).
I have to say, this judge dredd ramp set is a serious accomplishment and i have enjoyed watching it happen (even though i don't have a judge dredd, lol).

#5085 31 days ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

The Dredd's are here!
I will begin notifying those on my list later today. If you know you are on my list and no longer interested, please let me know. I still have a lot of ramps to make, but I have a good deal already to ship. What people order will help me adjust production to fit the needs.
Regardless of where you are on my list, if you want to let me know what you want, I would appreciate that a lot, again so I can adjust production.
The first thing I noticed when removing the ramps from my own game is that they were very fragile. I immediately made the decision to make all of the Dredd pieces out of my thicker (.150") plastic for greater strength and durability. I think the most fragile was the big ramp. When I removed it I had to be careful to support it as I thought it would just break in my hands! In addition to making them out of thicker plastic, I also corrected some items and where I could, I left more plastic for strength, particularly at mounting points. Although I ended up destroying my own ramps in the molding process, they were in very good shape for making the molds. The only actual breakage I had was at the big ramp right side exit. The mounting tab had broken off and this is one point where I left more plastic for strength. All in all I am very pleased with the results of all of the pieces.
One other thing I noted that I would like everyone to check when assembling the pieces. On the Big ramp at the center Exit (to Dead World) the two brackets at the exit I found to be a little tight with respect to how they fit, specifically the top edges where they meet the underside of the top edge of the ramp. I checked the fit against the original ramp and it is was also tight. Once the pieces are riveted to the ramp, I feel they will put additional stress on the top edge of the ramp. So, I will be shaving my own bracket tops down about 1/16".
The ramps are being offered without decals and without any metal beyond the entrance flaps. There are I think 16 pieces in total that the whole set that need to be riveted to the new ramp. If I were to provide these 16 pieces, I suspect the cost overall would increase $150-$175, so I promote reusing your existing metal.
All pieces are pre-drilled for the metal that must be transferred. Odin noted that on the prototype Big ramp, one of the optic sensors was mounted down near the entrance to the ramp vs at the upper left corner. I am reproducing the ramp as if that sensor is in the upper left corner. If you have a Prototype Big ramp that has this optic sensor down near the entrance and want to preserve it, let me know and I will send you a Big ramp without the pre-drilling at the upper left corner. You would need to position your sensor on the ramp then mark and drill the mounting holes for the bracket and the two 1/4" holes in the side of the ramp.
I am also not providing decals and I was easily able to remove my own. They cleaned up beautifully and I will reuse them. As soon as I take a break from ramp making, I will assemble my own set of ramps and post pics. If you want a new set of NOS Dredd Decals, there are some available to purchase at Pinball Inc. Note that as I write this they only have 12 left in stock.
https://www.pinballinc.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=120&product_id=292
Prices:
Big ramp $235
Stakeout ramp $125
Air Raid ramp $65
Black Out Ramp $130
Functional Subway $65
2 Piece Dead World Subway $115 (This is a non functional subway.
There is a full set discount of $35
For those interested, JodyG here on Pinside (aka rampomatic.com) has hand held rivet kits for sale.
Also check out his tutorials for both riveting and reusing decals!
Sun came out today so took outside photos.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great to see these complete.

#5086 31 days ago
Quoted from jcar302:

So i follow this post to see what's in store, always pays to know what ramps are out there in case of an impulse machine buy. I've had 2 of freeplays ramps in the past (high speed and swords).
I have to say, this judge dredd ramp set is a serious accomplishment and i have enjoyed watching it happen (even though i don't have a judge dredd, lol).

Can’t agree more! I don’t own this title either but have seen the requests. Glad this came about to keep the owners happy and the hobby going !

#5087 30 days ago

Woohoo, great job Mark! Thank you for following through with these.

#5088 30 days ago

Mark. What can we say? My Dredd restoration can finally continue after all these years. I’m in for a complete set Sir.

IMG_6453.gifIMG_6453.gif
#5089 30 days ago

Any other Aussies interested in combining an order to save on shipping costs?

#5090 30 days ago

Just received my Dredd ramps yesterday. Thank you Freeplay40! Packaging was excellent with lots of foam peanuts and bubble wrap to protect all the ramps. Can’t wait to install and get Judge back up and running! Well worth the wait!

#5091 30 days ago

Glad to see this is completed,and thanks for the email. You will be hearing from me soon. Excited, my big ramp is broken in 4 places, the game is a keeper.

#5092 30 days ago

I also follow this thread just for entertainment so far. This set rivals Whitewater in cost to make all ramps. I never realized there were so many plastic ramps on this game. Very nice work!

#5093 26 days ago

USPS knew it was a hot item , fast shipping. The Judge Dredd ramps Arrived today. Thanks again Mark!!

20240320_162130 (resized).jpg20240320_162130 (resized).jpg
#5094 26 days ago
Quoted from chad:

USPS knew it was a hot item , fast shipping. The Judge Dredd ramps Arrived today. Thanks again Mark!![quoted image]

I got mine today, too. Very nice, and fast shipping.

#5095 26 days ago

I think I've discovered something about USPS...Monday is a good day to ship...Both of the orders above were shipped USPS ground, but clearly went by air (Priority Mail Service). This happened last week as well when I shipped on a Monday.

#5096 20 days ago

Got my Ramps last week. Fast shipping and great packing. Thanks Freeplay

#5097 20 days ago

Got mine! Amazing craftsmanship!

#5098 19 days ago

I got all 4playfield ramps installed . Very smooth and fast like a new game.

#5099 16 days ago

Do the Dredd ramps need any additional drilling or shaving to make them install correctly? I've had another repo ramps that were very thick where they met the playfield, requiring dremel work.

#5100 16 days ago
Quoted from roffels:

Do the Dredd ramps need any additional drilling or shaving to make them install correctly? I've had another repo ramps that were very thick where they met the playfield, requiring dremel work.

That happens with a lot of remade ramps. It's a small price to pay.
Besides, there are no other options anyway, so if you need ramps you just have to accept that whatever it takes, it takes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 5,109 posts in this topic. You are on page 102 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/102 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.