IMG_9514 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9515 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9516 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9519 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9521 (resized).jpeg
large (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,077 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 102.
#5001 3 months ago

Add me to the list for Judge Dredd ramps. Thank you!! - Randy

#5002 3 months ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Just checking in - Is the best way to order anything here to just ping you direct with a message? I saw some directions, but that was 7 years ago and wanted to be sure before writing a novel.
thanks.

pm is best...

Happy Holidays!

#5003 89 days ago

Finally getting around to posting the pics of these BEAUTIFUL new anti-gravity ramps I purchased and installed on my Strange Science. Thanks so much, @freeplay40!

IMG_9514 (resized).jpegIMG_9514 (resized).jpegIMG_9515 (resized).jpegIMG_9515 (resized).jpegIMG_9516 (resized).jpegIMG_9516 (resized).jpegIMG_9517 (resized).jpegIMG_9517 (resized).jpegIMG_9519 (resized).jpegIMG_9519 (resized).jpegIMG_9521 (resized).jpegIMG_9521 (resized).jpeg
#5004 83 days ago

How are the Judge Dredd ramp’s coming along? Will be great to see them available. I have a judge Dredd project that I’d like to finish but the ramps it had were trashed.

#5005 83 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

How are the Judge Dredd ramp’s coming along? Will be great to see them available. I have a judge Dredd project that I’d like to finish but the ramps it had were trashed.

Ditto here. Freeplay’s replacements are always much higher quality than oem.

#5006 83 days ago

Turned 71 mid-November and as I am collecting Social Security and continue to work, I got a real bad taste last year how that affects taxes! So, for 2023 I decided to take it a little easier and let sales wane some by not bringing more new product to the table. I will be spending all of December getting the Dredd ramps ready for production and currently plan to begin releasing in January 2024. In addition to the ramp molds I will need to make a larger platen for my bigger forming machine to accommodate the largest ramp.

#5007 83 days ago

Belated Birthday Greetings, sad I thought only our system here didn't like any prospering!

#5008 83 days ago

Happy Birthday and ugh them taxes.

Can't wait to see the Judge Dredd ramps.

#5009 83 days ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Turned 71 mid-November and as I am collecting Social Security and continue to work, I got a real bad taste last year how that affects taxes! So, for 2023 I decided to take it a little easier and let sales wane some by not bringing more new product to the table. I will be spending all of December getting the Dredd ramps ready for production and currently plan to begin releasing in January 2024. In addition to the ramp molds I will need to make a larger platen for my bigger forming machine to accommodate the largest ramp.

You are appreciated and respected. Thank you for all that you make for us. It’s not just the product but the fact that you’re helping all of us restore these amazing machines.

#5010 83 days ago

Yes a very happy Birthday too u and your family and thanks for keeping us all the great ramps u make too keep theses machines looking new again

#5011 82 days ago

Question regarding Time Machine ramp:

I understand from what I've read that creating the mold, pouring, separating would be especially challenging and expensive. Something in the neighborhood of $500.

What about the possibility of getting a cleaned up 3D scan of the ramp, and having it machined or other? Something that could be posted on Shapeways or other and see what could be milled?

That cyclone ramp is what I'm sure is the hardest to form.

Just a thought. I do have a DE Time Machine and would be interested in a replacement.

#5012 82 days ago
Quoted from pb456:

I understand from what I've read that creating the mold, pouring, separating would be especially challenging and expensive. Something in the neighborhood of $500.
What about the possibility of getting a cleaned up 3D scan of the ramp, and having it machined or other? Something that could be posted on Shapeways or other and see what could be milled?
Just a thought. I do have a DE Time Machine and would be interested in a replacement.

Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far.... Well actually just a few years ago a local guy (Pinsider @MDK) had asked me to take a look at reproducing that piece. He gave me two donor pieces to use to reproduce it.....scratched my head several times over a couple years and just could not see a reasonable approach to doing it. Yes, ideally the mold would be made out of cast or machined aluminum. I got back in contact with the guy maybe 18 months ago and he said he had some friends that might be able to scan and create a mold for the ramp and thought he might be able to call in some favors. Unfortunately, I have not heard back from him and I suspect it was likely just too costly to have the mold carved out of aluminum. He also has not been on Pinside since December 2022.

#5013 82 days ago

Been keeping up with the progress of the Judge Dredd ramps. Happy to hear January is going to be the release month for these ramps. This is going to be my 1st order from you. I know I'm on your list for JD but not sure what the process is going to be for payment and shipment. Do you reach out to us by PM or just make a statement on this Form once the ramps are finished?

#5014 82 days ago
Quoted from GunFighter:

Do you reach out to us by PM or just make a statement on this Form once the ramps are finished?

Basically both. As soon as I get the initial pieces finished I will begin posting photos. When I am ready to ship I will start sending pm's to the people on the list. Payments are accepted via PayPal.

#5015 82 days ago

Quoted from Freeplay40:

Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far.... Well actually just a few years ago a local guy (Pinsider MDK) had asked me to take a look at reproducing that piece. He gave me two donor pieces to use to reproduce it.....scratched my head several times over a couple years and just could not see a reasonable approach to doing it. Yes, ideally the mold would be made out of cast or machined aluminum. I got back in contact with the guy maybe 18 months ago and he said he had some friends that might be able to scan and create a mold for the ramp and thought he might be able to call in some favors. Unfortunately, I have not heard back from him and I suspect it was likely just too costly to have the mold carved out of aluminum. He also has not been on Pinside since December 2022.

Has anyone scanned a ramp with a recent consumer-priced 3D scanner?

How did it turn out?

#5016 82 days ago

I don't think that will work for many reasons but I would love to see someone try it.

#5017 82 days ago

Any updates on Who Dunnit?

#5018 81 days ago

Time to start taking payments in grocery gift cards

#5019 81 days ago

Hoping you have a plan to keep this business going!

Such an asset to yhe community!

#5020 80 days ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

I don't think that will work for many reasons but I would love to see someone try it.

I am going to try it - hoping it will produce a model that can be sent to fabrication.

Freeplay40 do you still have those Time Machine ramps?

I got a reply from Arkify, they do 3D scanning, and are willing to give it a go.

#5021 80 days ago
Quoted from pb456:

I am going to try it - hoping it will produce a model that can be sent to fabrication.
Freeplay40 do you still have those Time Machine ramps?
I got a reply from Arkify, they do 3D scanning, and are willing to give it a go.

No I do not have the ramps.. I returned them to Pinsider @MDK. Also of note here is that the two ramps I had were damaged and finding a pristine one might be difficult. Also note the\at the ramp is actually two pieces. A second formed piece is attached to the bottom of the upper formed part.

#5022 80 days ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

No I do not have the ramps.. I returned them to Pinsider MDK. Also of note here is that the two ramps I had were damaged and finding a pristine one might be difficult. Also note the\at the ramp is actually two pieces. A second formed piece is attached to the bottom of the upper formed part.

If I can produce the top ramp (the "cyclone") piece, is the secondary ramp - the long straight/curved one something that could be produced?

#5023 80 days ago
Quoted from pb456:

If I can produce the top ramp (the "cyclone") piece, is the secondary ramp - the long straight/curved one something that could be produced?

Is that a subway ramp? if so due to the length, I'd say it is doubtful simply due to its size. The big ramps are costly to reproduce and sales on this one would be risky. Since a subway ramp is not visible, suggest simply repairing it.

#5024 80 days ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Is that a subway ramp? if so due to the length, I'd say it is doubtful simply due to its size. The big ramps are costly to reproduce and sales on this one would be risky. Since a subway ramp is not visible, suggest simply repairing it.

I was thinking the difficulty was in the "cyclone" ramp; sorry I don't know the proper terminology. Perhaps a picture is worth 1,000 rambling thoughts

Time Machine ramps (resized).pngTime Machine ramps (resized).png
#5025 80 days ago
Quoted from pb456:

I was thinking the difficulty was in the "cyclone" ramp; sorry I don't know the proper terminology. Perhaps a picture is worth 1,000 rambling thoughts
[quoted image]

That whole assembly is basically all one piece. The orange on the bottom is a separate piece glued to the large clear piece. Making the bottom orange piece would be the easiest. It is the upper clear piece that is the difficult part due to the thin clearance between the lanes. These days we typically make our molds out of a plastic resin. Due the very thin mold walls required to form and separate those lanes, resins simply will not withstand the rigors of molding and demolding....That's why those walls in the mold must be metal.

#5026 80 days ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

That whole assembly is basically all one piece. The orange on the bottom is a separate piece glued to the large clear piece. Making the bottom orange piece would be the easiest. It is the upper clear piece that is the difficult part due to the thin clearance between the lanes. These days we typically make our molds out of a plastic resin. Due the very thin mold walls required to form and separate those lanes, resins simply will not withstand the rigors of molding and demolding....That's why those walls in the mold must be metal.

Very enlightening; thanks for that - I understand it more now.

If the mold for the two problem lanes were made of aluminum (I assume a negative mold), it would be what's needed to make it?

I understand also size of that mold is a problem...?

#5027 80 days ago

I actually refer to the mold needed as a female mold. The mold would be upright with the plastic being drawn down into the mold. I'm not real familiar with the game and when you referred to a subway ramp I assumed that was under the playfield and in the manual it looks like a long ramp. If a mold was made for the upper left ramp it would not be too big.

Judging by the condition of the two pieces that were loaned to me, it may also be difficult to find a pristine original to use to model a mold.

#5028 74 days ago

Does anyone know where to find decals for the JD Ramps? I have tried a few online pin stores and I get out of stock or in stock in but can't go thought with the order.

I have tried

Marco: Out of stock
Pinball Decals, Inc: Out of stock
Pinball Inc: They have them in stock but no luck when it comes to ordering them. I fill in my info hit order and then noting happens.

Any Ideas?

#5029 74 days ago
Quoted from GunFighter:

Does anyone know where to find decals for the JD Ramps? I have tried a few online pin stores and I get out of stock or in stock in but can't go thought with the order.
I have tried
Marco: Out of stock
Pinball Decals, Inc: Out of stock
Pinball Inc: They have them in stock but no luck when it comes to ordering them. I fill in my info hit order and then noting happens.
Any Ideas?

#5030 74 days ago
Quoted from underlord:

Facebook judge dredd pinball group. Admin makes decal repros

As I get closer to the production of these ramps, I will reach out to Planetary for decals. Another Pinsider did find NOS decals at Pinball Inc.

https://www.pinballinc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=292&search=Judge+Dredd

#5031 74 days ago

Send a private email to [email protected]

#5032 74 days ago

Great information guys. I will reach out to Pinball Inc once again, and I will also check out the Facebook Judge Dredd pinball group. I appreciate it.

#5033 74 days ago

Was Apollo 13 ramps every available? Thank you!!

#5034 68 days ago

Got everything squared away with Pinball Inc. My JD ramp decals are on their way and wanted to thank Jamies Loflin from Pinball Inc.

#5035 67 days ago
Quoted from GunFighter:

Got everything squared away with Pinball Inc. My JD ramp decals are on their way and wanted to thank Jamies Loflin from Pinball Inc.

should of told him to print a bunch, gonna need them soon.

#5036 67 days ago

Always something new to learn. I was speaking to Larry at Starship the other day and I brought up that another Pinsider had spotted NOS decals for Judge Dredd at Pinball Inc. My first thought was what kind of condition might the decals be in since they are 30 years old. Larry assured me the decals themselves are probably fine, however the adhesive may had dried some. If that is an issue, new adhesive is relatively easy to apply after the old adhesive is removed. I also learned from Larry that the original decals were screen printed and with the Judge Dredd this is easy to see as they are very detailed. Many decal reproductions these days are printed vs silk screening.

I just finished removing all the decals from the playfield ramps for Judge Dredd with freeze spray and they are in perfect condition still. I will have to clean off a little residual glue, but I intend to reapply adhesive (3M product 467MP) to my decals for my new ramps. Photo of my removed decals attached.

So, at this point, I am leaning towards not providing decals for the new Judge Dredd ramps and encouraging reusing the existing decals. As I said, my decals came off the old ramps beautifully and certainly in good enough condition to reuse. Now if your decals do appear damaged, you might want to consider purchasing the decal set from Pinball Inc and note that he only has about 20 sets left last time I checked.

IMG_1867 (resized).JPGIMG_1867 (resized).JPG

#5037 64 days ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

you might want to consider purchasing the decal set from Pinball Inc

Thank you for the heads up on these decals, I ordered them incase mine do not come off the ramps happily, should be arriving at my house either today (per tracking) or sometime this week (most likely)! Can't wait to get your ramps to bring this cool pin back to pristine condition.

#5038 64 days ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Always something new to learn. I was speaking to Larry at Starship the other day and I brought up that another Pinsider had spotted NOS decals for Judge Dredd at Pinball Inc. My first thought was what kind of condition might the decals be in since they are 30 years old. Larry assured me the decals themselves are probably fine, however the adhesive may had dried some. If that is an issue, new adhesive is relatively easy to apply after the old adhesive is removed. I also learned from Larry that the original decals were screen printed and with the Judge Dredd this is easy to see as they are very detailed. Many decal reproductions these days are printed vs silk screening.
I just finished removing all the decals from the playfield ramps for Judge Dredd with freeze spray and they are in perfect condition still. I will have to clean off a little residual glue, but I intend to reapply adhesive (3M product 467MP) to my decals for my new ramps. Photo of my removed decals attached.
So, at this point, I am leaning towards not providing decals for the new Judge Dredd ramps and encouraging reusing the existing decals. As I said, my decals came off the old ramps beautifully and certainly in good enough condition to reuse. Now if your decals do appear damaged, you might want to consider purchasing the decal set from Pinball Inc and note that he only has about 20 sets left last time I checked.
[quoted image]

Any tips on applying the 3m? It’s super thin and from my experiences , difficult to keep it from not peeling together.

#5039 64 days ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Any tips on applying the 3m? It’s super thin and from my experiences , difficult to keep it from not peeling together.

I clean the ramp decal thoroughly with alcohol, peel one side of the 3m backer off, apply the decal to the 3M material. Then trim around the decal with scissors or an x-acto knife. Then remove the other side of the adhesive backer when you are ready to apply.

If you have trouble getting the old goo off the decal all the way, Goo Gone will make quick work of it and not damage the decal. Just be sure to clean the Goo Gone residue off with alcohol before applying.

#5040 64 days ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Thank you for the heads up on these decals, I ordered them incase mine do not come off the ramps happily, should be arriving at my house either today (per tracking) or sometime this week (most likely)! Can't wait to get your ramps to bring this cool pin back to pristine condition.

I ordered a set yesterday, also. Says they shipped them out, same day. My Judge Dredd will be very happy. Really looking forward to new ramps.

2 weeks later
#5041 44 days ago

Judge Dredd new plastic set. Been looking for a new set for sometime now. Does anyone here know of someone or some company that is going to make them or has them in stock? I know Pinball Central makes them, but they do not ship to the USA.

#5042 44 days ago
Quoted from GunFighter:

Judge Dredd new plastic set. Been looking for a new set for sometime now. Does anyone here know of someone or some company that is going to make them or has them in stock? I know Pinball Central makes them, but they do not ship to the USA.

You can email the B/W license holder Planetary Pinball and ask when they’ll be babk in stock.

#5043 41 days ago

Update on JD Plastic set. Found a set thanks to a PM sent to me on Pinside. It will take about 4 weeks to receive the set and I will keep you guys informed.

#5044 40 days ago
Quoted from GunFighter:

Update on JD Plastic set. Found a set thanks to a PM sent to me on Pinside. It will take about 4 weeks to receive the set and I will keep you guys informed.

Best of luck to you.!

#5045 40 days ago

Where did you buy it from, the moon?

#5046 40 days ago

Yep it was a risk for sure.

#5047 40 days ago

Freezing cold here in Seattle, so not much fun working in the garage right now. I still need to finish the mold for the large ramp as well as make the new larger forming platen, but thought I would give an early peek at some of the Judge Ramps I have successfully formed and finished in the meantime.

IMG_1868 (resized).JPGIMG_1868 (resized).JPGIMG_1869 (resized).JPGIMG_1869 (resized).JPG
#5048 40 days ago

so awesome. didn't think id ever see you do these, thanks from many of us dredd heads.

#5049 39 days ago

Getting excited to finally having my Judge restoration completed! So thankful for your hard work and dedication!

#5050 39 days ago

Looking good!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
There are 5,077 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 102.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.