Topic Stats

• 4,002 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by NorCalRealtor
  • Topic is favorited by 370 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 511 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200509_193129 (resized).jpg
20200509_193118 (resized).jpg
20200509_193105 (resized).jpg
20200509_162003 (resized).jpg
20200509_161956 (resized).jpg
JovialCheerfulAlabamamapturtle-max-1mb (resized).png
IMG_1647 (resized).JPG
IMG_5164 (resized).jpg
IMG_5148D (resized).jpg
IMG_5145D (resized).jpg
IMG_5146D (resized).jpg
IMG_20200430_134013 (resized).jpg
IMG_1646 (resized).JPG
Welder (resized).jpg
IMG_1645 (resized).JPG
IMG_1641 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

56 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4002 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 81.
#451 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Mark, would you send that to me so I can compare it to my ramps, I'll pay shipping. Unless that is you have a ramp you can compare it to.

Paul... I cut a couple flat pieces out of that partial green ramp and threw them in the mail this morning. Should be to you on Friday.

#452 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

On another note, since I'll be pondering the Star Warp ramp, I'd like to do the Strange Science Anti-Gravity ramps. I posted something locally for a donor but got no takers.....So looking for a set or ramps to be loaned so that I can make molds. Originals along with a free set of new ones to the donor... I need a fairly intact set to make molds from so that I can be sure of all the proper mounting. Let me know if interested.

I fully trust in your work after the fabulous Space Station Ramp ... absolute interested in to the Anti-Gravity ramp ...
in for 3x (in words three) piece

#453 3 years ago
Quoted from Gandalf37j:

I fully trust in your work after the fabulous Space Station Ramp ... absolute interested in to the Anti-Gravity ramp ...
in for 3x (in words three) piece

Just received the box from Drewscruis about 10 minutes ago. Sent me the two ramps for the Anti-Gravity as well as the Particle Separator ramp which might be too big from me to form at the moment, but I will go ahead and make a mold for it...What a flimsy piece of plastic...I'll make it better!!!

I'll be getting right on these as the Guns and Roses and Star Trek 25 subway ramps have not been sent quite yet. Probably about a week to get the Strange Science molds ready then will start forming.

#454 3 years ago

Bump in hopes that the Rocky & Bullwinkle ramps are still somewhere on the list of potentials!

#455 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Bump in hopes that the Rocky & Bullwinkle ramps are still somewhere on the list of potentials!

Yes....still in my thoughts

#456 3 years ago

what the price for Strange Science anti- grav ramp. I Could use one.
thanks

#457 3 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

what the price for Strange Science anti- grav ramp. I Could use one.
thanks

I don't set price until after I successfully form and machine them and I just got the models today.

#458 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Yes....still in my thoughts

i would probably also be interested in these. I don't think mine are terrible, but it never hurts to have them.

#459 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Paul... I cut a couple flat pieces out of that partial green ramp and threw them in the mail this morning. Should be to you on Friday.

Hey thanks. I'll post a couple of side by side pictures when they get here.

#460 3 years ago

super pumped for strange science ramps!

#462 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

super pumped for strange science ramps!

Starting on the molds today. For the first round I will do the two pieces for the Anti-Gravity. Pinsider Drewscruis also sent me the Particle Separator ramp which I will also moldnow, but not sure I can form it on my current machine...We'll see. If I can't form this one on the current machine, it will be one of the first one's up on the new machine.

#463 3 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Do you have a checkpoint donor yet?

Planning on this one, but it will have to wait for the new machine.

#464 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Planning on this one, but it will have to wait for the new machine.

Thanks! Cabinet decals are being worked on now

#465 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Starting on the molds today. For the first round I will do the two pieces for the Anti-Gravity. Pinsider Drewscruis also sent me the Particle Separator ramp which I will also moldnow, but not sure I can form it on my current machine...We'll see. If I can't form this one on the current machine, it will be one of the first one's up on the new machine.

how far away form getitng the new machine running?

#466 3 years ago

Quoted from Whysnow:how far away form getting the new machine running?

Took on several projects that I can do on my current set up... Something for Marco's, Strange Science, Star Trek 25 subway and then Guns and Roses. Will keep plugging away on it in the meantime.

#467 3 years ago

Dang Mark....there's only so many hours in a day.....I don't know how you do it.

#468 3 years ago

Yep Guns N Roses "G" and "R" as well as Star Trek 25th trough shipping out to you for repro...

:0)

20160720_203744_(resized).jpg

20160720_203740_(resized).jpg

20160720_203751_(resized).jpg

#469 3 years ago

Big kudos to Mark for keeping the new ramp hope alive and well!

#470 3 years ago
Quoted from scottmaggie:

Yep Guns N Roses "G" and "R" as well as Star Trek 25th trough shipping out to you for repro...
:0)

Maybe Mark could make the R ramp better so you wouldn't need that sneeze guard. He did for HS.

#471 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Maybe Mark could make the R ramp better so you wouldn't need that sneeze guard. He did for HS.

hmmmmm

#472 3 years ago

Oh....the gears are turning, something GREAT is gonna happen.

#473 3 years ago

Re: the Strange Science Anti-Gravity ramp/scoop. Attached are photos of the right and left sides of this piece. I've circled in red the same general area on both sides that I could use some feedback on. The lines in the left side appear basically undamaged. However, the same area on the right side is certainly damaged. My guess is that the right side is a mirror of the left, but if anyone could confirm, I'd appreciate it.

If everyone's is broken I will go with my first thought above and shoot one off for a test fit.

On another note, I do not know if the original ramp was actually blue plastic or painted plastic like the one I am modeling from. The painted one is not truly transparent....mine will be.

Mark

#474 3 years ago

I checked Bay Area Amusements and they have the Strange Science Particle Separator ramp showing not only in stock but at what I would consider a very attractive price of $113...honestly, if I made that one I would probably charge a bit more for it...so for the moment, I most likely will not produce this one....but if any of you are thinking about upgrading all your ramps, you might want to get your hands on one...I have no idea how many they have. The Anti-gravity and adjoining short ramp I will make for sure.

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Re: the Strange Science Anti-Gravity ramp/scoop. Attached are photos of the right and left sides of this piece. I've circled in red the same general area on both sides that I could use some feedback on. The lines in the left side appear basically undamaged. However, the same area on the right side is certainly damaged. My guess is that the right side is a mirror of the left, but if anyone could confirm, I'd appreciate it.
If everyone's is broken I will go with my first thought above and shoot one off for a test fit.
On another note, I do not know if the original ramp was actually blue plastic or painted plastic like the one I am modeling from. The painted one is not truly transparent....mine will be.
Mark

No pics attached

#476 3 years ago

Could you do the time expander cover for Dr who. These are an easy shape and impossible to get. there clear plastic and the decals are avalible to buy for it separately.

#477 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

No pics attached

DOH!...Here they are...

SS_AG_Left_(resized).JPG

SS_AG_Right_(resized).JPG

#478 3 years ago

Star Warp ramp split into two is WAY better than no Star Warp ramp. I say go for it and if I wasn't clear about it before, feel free to cut those ramps up I gave you anyway you see fit in the name of science. That sounds like a pretty workable solution to me. That in-between bit was really the main challenge/obstacle, right?

As far as machine shop access, I've got it. That's not the hard part though. The hard part is for someone who knows mastercam or another professional CAM software package to sit down and design this mold from scratch in excruciatingly precise details. If I could get that drawing, I'm pretty sure my friends at the machine shop would be glad to sit down with me over some beers and work up the toolpaths and knock one out on some Friday night. The likelyhood of this is pretty low though. If I sat down and designed something on Google sketchup for instance and took it in there, the guys would just laugh and say "we need to redraw this entirely, there is no point even attempting to import it".

Split ramp is way more likely than any of this. They could even be designed with an overlap where they could be screwed/riveted or otherwise fastened together which should make them stable enough to mount with only the existing stock holes.

#479 3 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Do you have a checkpoint donor yet?

I have offered mine if he needs it/when he is ready.

#480 3 years ago

Freeplay40 - The local news says Bothell is on fire. I hope you are alright and this isn't impacting you.

#481 3 years ago
Quoted from DorothyMacaw:

Freeplay40 - The local news says Bothell is on fire. I hope you are alright and this isn't impacting you.

My ramps are screaming, "I'm melting, I'm melting"

#482 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Could you do the time expander cover for Dr who. These are an easy shape and impossible to get. there clear plastic and the decals are avalible to buy for it separately.

Any way to get this on the list?

#483 3 years ago

Strange science ramp's I've seen are all like that, something in the old plastic breaking down?

#484 3 years ago

Mine is all busted in the same spot. I'd just mirror it but maybe someone has an intact one?

#485 3 years ago

I'll mirror it and send one off to the donor to test fit.

#486 3 years ago

about the StrangeScience Particle Separator ramp:
yes, there are reproduction ones available, once a while ... (over here in Europe, and as you see in the states as well)
if, then it make only sence to may be make in in other colors - my 2ct

about the anti gravitiy ramp:
as far as I can see, should be mirrored

#487 3 years ago
Quoted from Gandalf37j:

about the StrangeScience Particle Separator ramp:
yes, there are reproduction ones available, once a while ... (over here in Europe, and as you see in the states as well)
if, then it make only sence to may be make in in other colors - my 2ct
about the anti gravitiy ramp:
as far as I can see, should be mirrored

Thanks...hmmmm, Particle Separator might look good in either red or the same blue as the Anti-Gravity..

#488 3 years ago

personal: I would prefer blue, but that's my taste .. can imagien some "red" fans will be out there as well

#489 3 years ago

I am going to mold the Particle Separator ramp, but might not produce it until the new machine is done...might be a touch too big for my current setup. Colors no problem.

#490 3 years ago
Quoted from MDK:

Star Warp ramp split into two is WAY better than no Star Warp ramp. I say go for it and if I wasn't clear about it before, feel free to cut those ramps up I gave you anyway you see fit in the name of science. That sounds like a pretty workable solution to me. That in-between bit was really the main challenge/obstacle, right?
As far as machine shop access, I've got it. That's not the hard part though. The hard part is for someone who knows mastercam or another professional CAM software package to sit down and design this mold from scratch in excruciatingly precise details. If I could get that drawing, I'm pretty sure my friends at the machine shop would be glad to sit down with me over some beers and work up the toolpaths and knock one out on some Friday night. The likelyhood of this is pretty low though. If I sat down and designed something on Google sketchup for instance and took it in there, the guys would just laugh and say "we need to redraw this entirely, there is no point even attempting to import it".
Split ramp is way more likely than any of this. They could even be designed with an overlap where they could be screwed/riveted or otherwise fastened together which should make them stable enough to mount with only the existing stock holes.

So, I'll keep thinking on this one.... I think the only way to do them is to split them and at least redesign the center ramp.

#491 3 years ago

Freeplay, Would you have any use for both ramps from a Whirlwind? What I have I doubt anyone would buy and I didn't want to toss them. But if they can help produce more ramps so that more machines live on I'd like to donate them.

#492 3 years ago

Provided they are intact enough for me to reproduce.....most important is all the mounting locations. Can you post some photos?

I can reimburse you for mailing.

#493 3 years ago

Can't you already buy whirlwind ramps from starship fantasy?

#494 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Can't you already buy whirlwind ramps from starship fantasy?

Looks like you are right...so I probably won't do them. Like to do ones that are not available anywhere else.

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Looks like you are right...so I probably won't do them. Like to do ones that are not available anywhere else.

While I would like you to do EVERY ramp, I agree you should focus on the unobtainable ramps (FIRE! cough cough!)

#496 3 years ago

Since you're discussing custom two-part assemblies as better than nothing... Do you think there is any way to design a new Space Station mini-playfield, that could be vacu-formed? I understand the originals were injection molded. My best assumption as to why, is because of the integrated lane guides in the center? If not for those, looks like it would be just a simple flat part with some walls on the edges and a couple recessed spots for the habitrails. So then if there were a way to make a separate insert to add the lane guides, that could work? Heck, even settling for mounting standard, traditional lane guides might be better than a busted mini pf.

#498 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sorry to hear that.

Oh, thanks but I'm still OK for now! But it's been patched up more than a nicotine addict and looks as rough as a space winnebago... So even though I'm good at fixing things, I fear there may yet come a time when my luck runs out...

#499 3 years ago

Working on molds for Strange Science at the moment. Will have Guns and Roses ramps as well as the Star Trek25 subway ramp probably tomorrow and will get those molded ASAP. Then probably take a little break and work on the new machine.

#500 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Since you're discussing custom two-part assemblies as better than nothing... Do you think there is any way to design a new Space Station mini-playfield, that could be vacu-formed? I understand the originals were injection molded. My best assumption as to why, is because of the integrated lane guides in the center? If not for those, looks like it would be just a simple flat part with some walls on the edges and a couple recessed spots for the habitrails. So then if there were a way to make a separate insert to add the lane guides, that could work? Heck, even settling for mounting standard, traditional lane guides might be better than a busted mini pf.

We've talked about several of the injection molded ramps that likely will never get made again as injection molded pieces as the molds are likely gone and the cost to make new ones is just way too much. A friend of mine wants me to take a shot at the center ramp for Who Dunnit and the Transporter is another one that we could probably vacuum form a reasonable replacement.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 4002 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 81.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside