Freedom Bally 1976 boots some playfield items work wont advance ball

By MarkAnderson

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1970s-bally-em-score-motor-unit-used_1_5c40a2071721393c14886ac6f8e759f5 (resized).jpg
bally Freedom Coin Door lock switch (resized).jpg
freedom 002 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markanderson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

1. New credit button is pressed
2. Score motor runs
3. Score reset relays run
2. Score reels reset to zero
3. The outhole kicks the ball out into the plunger lane.
4. The following work:
Rubbers with switches on the playfield score 10 points,
Spinners score points.
Flippers flip,
outlane and inlane rollovers score points and seem to trigger the lit value on the center playfield wheel.
5. The following do not work:
targets drop with no score,
spinners do not advance the center playfield lit wheel,
kick out holes do not score or kick out.
6. When the ball drains the bonus is not scored nor does the ball count advance to next player or ball two.

7. Previous issues that could potentially affect these problems are: When moved the score motor unit was left unlocked and must have whacked the top of the score motor stack while flopping around. The coin switches were wired incorrectly. I received photos of the coin door switches and used them to correct the wiring. The solenoid on the playfield spinning arrow light burned melted when on of the spinners malfunctioned. It was replaced with the correct solenoid and the contacts with carbon were cleaned.
freedom 002 (resized).jpgfreedom 002 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkAnderson:

1. New credit button is pressed
2. Score motor runs
3. Score reset relays run
2. Score reels reset to zero
3. The outhole kicks the ball out into the plunger lane.
4. The following work:
Rubbers with switches on the playfield score 10 points,
Spinners score points.
Flippers flip,
outlane and inlane rollovers score points and seem to trigger the lit value on the center playfield wheel.
5. The following do not work:
targets drop with no score,
spinners do not advance the center playfield lit wheel,
kick out holes do not score or kick out.
6. When the ball drains the bonus is not scored nor does the ball count advance to next player or ball two.
7. Previous issues that could potentially affect these problems are: When moved the score motor unit was left unlocked and must have whacked the top of the score motor stack while flopping around. The coin switches were wired incorrectly. I received photos of the coin door switches and used them to correct the wiring. The solenoid on the playfield spinning arrow light burned melted when on of the spinners malfunctioned. It was replaced with the correct solenoid and the contacts with carbon were cleaned.
[quoted image]

I was troubleshooting the Freedom Wheel unit and found the spring for it on the bottom of the machine. The Wheel unit now works but skips lighting intermittently.

#3 2 years ago

I was troubleshooting the Freedom Wheel unit and found the spring for it on the bottom of the machine. The Wheel unit now works but skips lighting intermittently.

My issue was the top leaf switch on stack one of the score motor (1f) It was connected all the time. I believe it was 1f. Correcting that issue started it working again. Then switch 1C corrected the issues with it not scoring at the end of a ball and advancing to the next ball and not scoring a variety of targets and bumpers.
Now it scores for each target drop.
The spinners advance the center playfield lit wheel.
The kick out holes score the lit spinner wheel item and kick out.
When the ball drains the bonus is scored and the ball count unit advances to next player or ball.
Currently the only issues that I am still having are that the pop bumpers rarely respond to the ball hitting them. It is a mechanical issue the skirts do not seem to pop down to trigger the bumper unless hit from above. Sometimes the Freedom Wheel is lit at other times it is not lit. I don't know if it isn't lit because bulbs are out or if the one way wheel that drives it is not making electrical contact at times. The right side The coin door lockout never activates so it is impossible to use quarters to put another credit on the game or to activate a new game with a coin.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Garrett:

If the pops do work but are slow to react it's just a matter of switch adjustment and cleaning of the spoon. The skirt assembly under the playfield comes down to a small extension that sits in a dish or bowl looking leaf switch. Touch the skirt on the top of the playfield with your finder to see how much action it creates on the skirt/spoon to close the contact that initiates the pop bumpers. The spoon itself is sitting upwards so it tends to get grimy and gummy, clean it off.
While your there it's a good idea to clean the contacts too. Don't make them too touchy as they can then pop due to playfield vibration in the vicinity.
Also make sure the end of stroke (EOS) contacts for the pop bumper allow for almost full travel before closing these EOS contacts, provides the intended power.

Thank you great points on all of them. I adjusted and cleaned and they are working great.

#6 2 years ago

Sometimes the Freedom Wheel is lit at other times it is not lit. I don't know if it isn't lit because bulbs are out or if the one way wheel that drives it is not making electrical contact at times. The right side The coin door lockout never activates so it is impossible to use quarters to put another credit on the game or to activate a new game with a coin.

As Garett Stated the leaf switches on the pop bumpers needed to be adjusted and the EOS switches needed to be adjusted to allow for full travel. My spoons had a little dirt in them but not much. The Freedom Wheel only had light bulbs that were out after replacing them it works well. The coin door would reject all coins put in the coin slot. That issue was caused by position 1d on the score motor. In the schematic it looks like 1C so I accidentally was looking at 1c and could not see any issues. I traced the route in the schematic and found that if I bypassed the motor connection with two alligator clips and a wire it started working. So I looked again and realized that I had been looking at 1c and I needed to be looking at 1D. Even when I looked at 1D it looked like it was making a connection when the first Motor reel was in the trough position. I put a piece of paper behind the first wheel and then shined a bright light behind it and saw that there was space between the two leaf switches. As soon as I turned the machine off and adjusted it with a leaf adjustment took and turned it back on it was working.

1970s-bally-em-score-motor-unit-used_1_5c40a2071721393c14886ac6f8e759f5 (resized).jpg1970s-bally-em-score-motor-unit-used_1_5c40a2071721393c14886ac6f8e759f5 (resized).jpgbally Freedom Coin Door lock switch (resized).jpgbally Freedom Coin Door lock switch (resized).jpg
#7 2 years ago

Thank you
Garrett
David Volansky
Mark Gibson
and HowardR

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markanderson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freedom-bally-1976-boots-some-playfield-items-work-wont-advance-ball?tu=markanderson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.