Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2409 (resized).jpg
IMG_2408 (resized).jpg
IMG_2407 (resized).jpg
IMG_2406 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I'm still working through the virus shutdowns but today was a day off so I was able to pick up a 1974 William's Dealer's Choice. A friend's mother was moving and she had it in a her basement. It was there when they moved in 18 years ago. She got it for free and now has given it to me for free - and I've pledged, when the time comes, to give it away for free.

It hadn't been used in years but - surprisingly - turned on, reset the score, and played. It needs a lot of cleaning and refreshing but nothing seems really bad. The inserts need to be worked on and a pop bumper doesn't work. The backglass has typical flaking but is pretty good.

The photos were the best I could do given the light in the room at the time.

Love the black and hot pink color combo!

IMG_2406 (resized).jpgIMG_2406 (resized).jpgIMG_2407 (resized).jpgIMG_2407 (resized).jpgIMG_2408 (resized).jpgIMG_2408 (resized).jpgIMG_2409 (resized).jpgIMG_2409 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

They’d have to pay me! Woof!

#3 4 years ago

Hah! Got one of these for free once myself. I had to get it out of a second floor walkup in midtown Manhattan. It was a sweltering Sunday afternoon, and I was totally exhausted by the time I got it in my truck. It had an immaculate original cabinet as I recall. I sold it years ago.

#4 4 years ago

Nice machine... These free machines are hard to find. I've been in the hobby for many years and I've only managed to find two free machines. I guess you never know what you might find in the pinball world.

#5 4 years ago

When I still had extra games in my garage I had a Dealer's Choice in there for quite a while, I miss it, good game especially for free. Closest I ever got to getting a pinball machine for nuthin' was fifty bucks!

#6 4 years ago

I like that backglass and the interesting flipper arrangement too. Haven't played one but I'd like to someday. Congrats on the pickup.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

They’d have to pay me! Woof!

I know it's not the prize pig ... but I'm hoping that it's not a total dog either. The upside is that once I clean it up, it's going in the youth room at my church. Most of those kids don't have the extremely refined palette that we pinsiders do.

#8 4 years ago

Good on you, that’s a GREAT idea. You never know what will spark a kid’s imagination and we all remember our first machine!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from iohonnes:

I know it's not the prize pig ... but I'm hoping that it's not a total dog either. The upside is that once I clean it up, it's going in the youth room at my church. Most of those kids don't have the extremely refined palette that we pinsiders do.

Oh, but it is a prize pig. Under-rated by almost everybody. It may not be the one everybody wants but it is the one that everybody SHOULD want. Set-up properly, it is the fastest playing EM I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot. There's a lot more to shoot for than people realize.

Captain Fantastic ripped a lot off from this game, Bally substituted drop targets for stand-ups but they left out the 9 rollover buttons which gives you much more to shoot for while still keeping the playfield wide open, and a triple bonus potential.

Those rollovers are the heart of the game and getting that last one (to double or triple bonus) can get the adrenaline pumping, especially if you do it multiple times to light that Special in the upper right lane.

You did good.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Oh, but it is a prize pig.

And this is why I love pinball - there is something for everyone. Like I hate Tron but my daughter loves it. Many different strokes for many different folks.

#11 4 years ago

Welcome to the Low end pin club. Great score!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freebie-pickup-of-the-day-1974-williams-dealer-s-choice?hl=fredsmythson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.