You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1388672_10151743609468528_882997_n.jpg
WOZnado v1.2.jpg
WOZnado.jpg
#1 10 years ago

OK, I'm not big on excessive pin mods, but I do like the look of a tornado behind Dorothy's house in WOZ. But, is this Frugal Modder going to pay $50 or $100 for a little plastic tornado? Heck no! So here's how I made my WOZnado using a couple of things that were laying around the house. It was basically free, takes about 10-5 minutes (or less).

All you need is about 3 feet of flexible wire (I used 14 AWG white wire from standard house wiring conduit) and some clear plastic food wrap. Simply wind the wire in an expanding tornado-like coil shape. The bottom windings should be narrow (I used needlenose pliers to start) and then you can shape by hand as you go up. I left about 1/4" of the wire sticking down before starting the horizontal circle windings. Then take a few feet of food wrap, fold/bunch it to form a strip around an inch wide, and wind it in a spiral around the wire, bottom to top. Fold the last part of the food wrap over the top rim of the tornado, and that's it! You can shape the tornado even after you wind it up becaus ethe wrap and wire are both flexible.

I stuck a bit of putty on the bottom of the WOZnado and stuck the end of the wire into one of the 2 holes in the clear plastic behind Dorothy's house. Easy-peasy!

Here's what it looks like. (I might refine the wrap technique a bit, but it basically looks nice IMO. Can't beat it for price and required effort!)

WOZnado.jpgWOZnado.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Hmmm...yeah, I think I'm going to leave that section of my WOZ alone.

#3 10 years ago

Classic, I'm LOLMAO. It's not to scale. Love how you've slammed the Modders out there. What did it take 3 min to make and .05 cents?

#4 10 years ago

I'd rather pay for a 3D printed tornado then a plastic raped tin foil mod. Sorry just doesn't look right to me but its what you like in your machine that counts. Who has flexible wire hanging around the house I do but only because I craft with it.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Classic, I'm LOLMAO. It's not to scale. Love how you've slammed the Modders out there. What did it take 3 min to make and .05 cents?

Maybe 5 cents for the plastic wrap, probably less. Wire was free. I might fine-tune the wrapping part to be thinner and more textured, but it still looks more 'airy' and not like a solid plastic piece. I'll leave it in for now--it was just a quick throw-together. And it is the same size and place as the other tornado mods. Not everything is to scale in WOZ!

#6 10 years ago

Hey, at least the OPs tornado is rotating the correct way. The "official mod" appears to have been made for Aussie/Kiwi WOZs

#7 10 years ago

Hang on, I give the man props.

That's kick-ass.

Thanks for sharing and have fun with that pin!

#8 10 years ago

Thanks! Never claimed it was a work of art. But it just took a few minutes, cost me nothing, and it does look cool. (I think I can improve on the wrapping texture.) And maybe stick a few items on the tornado. One easy way is to go to a costume jewelry shop and get some toy post earrings, stick them thru the plastic....

#9 10 years ago

StevenP, can we get some pictures of your target decals on your game? Where did you get them?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

StevenP, can we get some pictures of your target decals on your game? Where did you get them?

I believe that's the little shop of games set of target decals, great looking set, I got a set waiting to be put on once my game arrives

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Moose615:

I believe that's the little shop of games set of target decals, great looking set, I got a set waiting to be put on once my game arrives

Correct. Saw them at Expo,so I grabbed a set for my new WOZ..... (Wow, just noticed that was spotted from just the single Good Witch standup!)

#12 10 years ago

Typical WOZ thread... Always turns into a shitnado

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Thanks! Never claimed it was a work of art. But it just took a few minutes, cost me nothing, and it does look cool. (I think I can improve on the wrapping texture.) And maybe stick a few items on the tornado. One easy way is to go to a costume jewelry shop and get some toy post earrings, stick them thru the plastic....

I'd glue a tiny model cow to the thing.

Not hard to find here in Wisconsin.

#14 10 years ago

I'm trying to find a nice way to say. It is creative, but it still looks like saran wrap. I would rather keep my food fresh and save 15 min. Something tells me based off of your other posts about mods that this was an attempt at humor. golf clap.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from jjsrt8:

I'd rather pay for a 3D printed tornado then a plastic raped tin foil mod. Sorry just doesn't look right to me but its what you like in your machine that counts. Who has flexible wire hanging around the house I do but only because I craft with it.

Gee, you may not like it... but to go to the length of claiming that its production actually involves plastic raping tin foil? I'm quite certain the OP wouldn't do anything that wasn't fully consensual.

(Of course I kid!)

#16 10 years ago

I like it . its people like this that has creativity and thinks outside the box, good job

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I'm trying to find a nice way to say. It is creative, but it still looks like saran wrap. I would rather keep my food fresh and save 15 min. Something tells me based off of your other posts about mods that this was an attempt at humor. golf clap.

More like a trial project, actually, because I like the look of a tornado behind the house, but can't see spending $100 for a plastic one. And it does look "windy" more than solid. Might look even better with a light spray of grey paint--would have better texture than a plastic 'nado IMO. I'm actually serious about this, in a lighthearted way.

#18 10 years ago

I think it looks better than the 3D printed one, imo.

Also, being that its made from plastic wrap, i could see an led (color changing perhaps) wired up somehow to make a little light show. I think that would look cool.

Nice work!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

More like a trial project, actually, because I like the look of a tornado behind the house, but can't see spending $100 for a plastic one. And it does look "windy" more than solid. Might look even better with a light spray of grey paint--would have better texture than a plastic 'nado IMO. I'm actually serious about this, in a lighthearted way.

To be fair, I believe he is selling the 3D printed tornado for $30, and if you want it to be lighted and controlled by the power connected to the spinning house motor then it is $100 (EDIT: HE HAS NOW LOWERED THE PRICE TO $80 which seems very reasonable to me) which is obviously paying for some electrical engineering design and a plug-and-play connector.

It is not too hard to make your own flasher circuit if you want to save some money:

#20 10 years ago

Hey, for what it is, I think it looks pretty sweet. perhaps the Pinball 3000 guys could use this design for the space elevator.

#21 10 years ago

OK, here's WOZnado v1.2. Took another 2 minutes with a Sharpie. Jeez, the time and cost for this mod keeps going up! (My cellphone flash makes it look shinier than it actually appears in person.)

But hey, I'm an "idea guy." I'm sure someone here can refine the aesthetics and make it look a bit cooler. The basic idea is solid, and it's pretty much free!

WOZnado v1.2.jpgWOZnado v1.2.jpg

#22 10 years ago

I think it's cool. Not for me personally but heck, the amount of things everyone stuffs in their pins...
If you're arty could always make a model. (tin foil core, epoxy putty) love the stuff.

#23 10 years ago

I'm all for innovation!

That said... you paid THAT much for a machine, and then stuck some wire and plastic wrap in it? That makes me giggle a little.

THAT said, I think it looks pretty good, all things considered.

#24 10 years ago

Hmm, not feeling it. Love the DIY attitude, but it just feels too cheap and tacky for such a beautiful (and expensive!) machine. As a prototype for an idea it works great though.

#25 10 years ago

I dig it. Free and able to MacGyver it from stuff already on hand.

#26 10 years ago

Coming along nicely!

#28 10 years ago

put an upside down oil funnel on top and call it the tinman mod. do you wear your red pumps when you play it?

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Darkslide632:

I'm all for innovation!
That said... you paid THAT much for a machine, and then stuck some wire and plastic wrap in it? That makes me giggle a little.
THAT said, I think it looks pretty good, all things considered.

People stick all sorts of things in their pins. That said, I like the idea of a twister behind the house, but not a solid plastic one that looks fake. This one looks less substantial (which is why I thought of plastic wrap initially)--even though the materials are cheap, I like the look better than a plastic one. And I didn't have to go the conventional route of finding, ordering, paying, waiting--just sat down and made a tornado in a few minutes! This one should light up nicely too.

If you see it in person, it does add to the game IMO and you wouldn't even know what it was made of if you didn't read it here first. (You might think someone took extra effort to make a twister out of clear textured plastic with dark highlights...) It's an idea I threw out; feel free to try or even improve on it. You might like it too!

#30 10 years ago

I think if you had made version 1.2 to begin with and not told people what it was made of they would think it looks great but people think because you didn't spend a bunch of money it's crappy. I think 1.2 looks cool and very much like a tornado.

#31 10 years ago

I say sour grapes for the detractors for not having been that clever!

#32 10 years ago

Ya done good!

#33 10 years ago

Now make us a 3d rainbow out of Starbursts!

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I think if you had made version 1.2 to begin with and not told people what it was made of they would think it looks great but people think because you didn't spend a bunch of money it's crappy. I think 1.2 looks cool and very much like a tornado.

Exactly. Someone might ask what it's made of or how I got it to look so airy/textured!

Quoted from smokey_789:

Now make us a 3d rainbow out of Starbursts!

I was gonna make one out of Skittles in an arch over the rainbow standups! (j/k)(?)

#35 10 years ago

Whip up some cheap Invisiglass....

#36 10 years ago

Hope pinball decal doesn't see this. That would be a $200 mod

#37 10 years ago

Now we know what to do with the leftover aluminum foil from the star trek asteroid mod.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

Hope pinball decal doesn't see this. That would be a $200 mod

shhhhhhhhh, don't give them any idea.

Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I think if you had made version 1.2 to begin with and not told people what it was made of they would think it looks great but.....

i agree, they'd jump on it and pay $100 for a piece of plastic.

#39 10 years ago

I think with a rapid color changing LED in it that lights when the house is spinning, it might look pretty good. I'd have to see it in person to make a final verdict, though. I will say this: Pretty clever. Some people are always thinking.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Whip up some cheap Invisiglass....

On it! (Well, I do have a PhD in materials science, so anything is possible!)

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

On it! (Well, I do have a PhD in materials science, so anything is possible!)

Sweet! Make sure it weighs very little and you design good packaging for it too so we can get it down here for a decent price.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Sweet! Make sure it weighs very little and you design good packaging for it too so we can get it down here for a decent price.

That would be a tall order.... It'll have to weigh the same as standard safety glass--can't see making that lighter!

#43 10 years ago

Great job on that Steven!

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Great job on that Steven!

Put one together. Won't take long, and you may be surprised how cool it looks, more tornado-y than a solid piece of plastic.

#45 10 years ago

nice work , I like it ....how much shipped ?

#46 10 years ago

1388672_10151743609468528_882997_n.jpg1388672_10151743609468528_882997_n.jpg

#47 10 years ago

I think it looks great.

Not every mod needs to be expensive to be cool

5 months later
#48 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Here's what it looks like. (I might refine the wrap technique a bit, but it basically looks nice IMO. Can't beat it for price and required effort!)

I Like it........ Looks good in the pics...... Can't hurt, and I am like you.... I will do it myself if I can. And I think this looks good.

We shall see.

I may be able to pull this off as good as yours looks. and maybe not. But I will certainly try.

Thanks for the idea............. like it alot!

#49 10 years ago

You should put a white super bright LED in it and hook it up to a flasher. When the flasher goes off it will look like lightning.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

You should put a white super bright LED in it and hook it up to a flasher. When the flasher goes off it will look like lightning.

Good idea, but WOZ doesn't have flashers! It would make modding a lot easier if it did...!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
13,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-woz-tornado-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.