New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 271359)

FREE Playfield Scan Restoration

By SilverballSleuth

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by SilverballSleuth
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 months ago

So, I’m presently working on Alien Star, to make a NOS quality scan, available to all, for free, for educational purposes.

I’d like to tackle another one straight away when I’m done with this one.

Here’s what you need to qualify;

1. The game must be considered to be “rare.” I’m gonna say 1,500~ units or less.

2. A complete Playfield Scan.

3. A reply in this game thread with the title and statement saying you have a scan or can get one done quickly.

I’ll choose the winner in a week or so. The more upvotes on a given response will act as a vote, and that will influence my decision.

Cheers!

#2 4 months ago

Out of curiosity, what exactly are you offering? Are you going to touch up the digital image and get it ready for print? Are you actually applying the print to the game?

#3 4 months ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Out of curiosity, what exactly are you offering? Are you going to touch up the digital image and get it ready for print? Are you actually applying the print to the game?

I’m offering digital touch ups to any playfield scan you might have, and I’ll send it back nice and shiny. Up to you to get it printed.

#4 4 months ago

What is the best way to get a playfield scan these days? To me the scaling has to be perfect across the whole playfield in order to line up the new art.

Second question is can I buy or build a scanner that will work for a reasonably cost?

#5 4 months ago
    Quoted from John_I:

What is the best way to get a playfield scan these days? To me the scaling has to be perfect across the whole playfield in order to line up the new art.
    Second question is can I buy or build a scanner that will work for a reasonably cost?

The technical aspect of the scanning itself is not in my wheelhouse.

Yes, the scaling does indeed have to be perfect.

#6 4 months ago

Look for a website that’ll list companies (usually large format printers) that have cruse scanners. Pay them to scan a playfield, backglass, etc.

2 weeks later
    #7 3 months ago

City Slicker. We finished scanning mine. Playfield is trash, the paint on these games is trash and all of them are usually pretty badly worn. They only made 300 and I think there’s maybe 15-30 floating around the US and that’s being generous, I’ve seen less then 10 for sale and very little documentation. It’s also a terrible game, RFAR strongly applies.

However, I don’t believe in trashing games that suck if they’re rare enough, as they are good examples of pinball history and they can be fun for casual play.

#8 3 months ago

Qbert's Quest - it's a rare bird and they're usually trashed

#10 3 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

City Slicker. We finished scanning mine. Playfield is trash, the paint on these games is trash and all of them are usually pretty badly worn. They only made 300 and I think there’s maybe 15-30 floating around the US and that’s being generous, I’ve seen less then 10 for sale and very little documentation. It’s also a terrible game, RFAR strongly applies.
    However, I don’t believe in trashing games that suck if they’re rare enough, as they are good examples of pinball history and they can be fun for casual play.

How trashed? Attach a photo of the scan.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 999.00
    $ 12.95
    $ 109.99
    $ 279.95
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.00
    $ 169.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.50
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 30.00
    Various Novelties
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 35.00
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 229.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside