Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    corody.jpeg
    payphone.jpeg
    pay toilet.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 9 years ago

coins and free play...

working nickle and dime mechs on machines that should have them...

i tumble up quarters as needed and make them all shiny, then put them in bowls of them close to the machines...

i have them free play modded just in case someone wants to "just push the button", but everyone seems to prefer dropping a coin... invariably they will feed the machine when the credit reel reads zero...

plus it's a "parts piggy bank"...

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

well that's even worse.
    I can't imagine anything tackier than asking guests to pay for pinball games that most of them probably dont really care about anyway.

yea, i'd never do that... that would be about as low as someone could go...

that's why i have bowls of them polished up for everyone to use... i have no shortage...

y'know whats really sick? when i empty the coin boxes, i don't re-use them, i take them to the bank and feed them through the change counter and get bills for them... like i mentioned before, "parts piggy bank"...

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Manbearpig:

Free play! Coin mech are just another thing to get jammed or create problems. I realize most people remember playing in arcades with actual quarters but this is home arcade. I would think that most guest would simply not play any games if they have to pay. Only a fellow pinhead would pay for a home use machine. I actually with Stern and other manufacturers would make it optional to have coin mech or just have dollar bill slots. It would save some money and labor to make games.

sure, it'd be a total weasel move to make guests pay to play games...

thousands of quarters pass through my mechs with no issues...

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from oldcarz:

I wouldn't charge my guests to play pinball.
    The bathroom, however, is a different story.

pay toilet.jpg

man, that brings back OLD memories... i haven't seen a pay toilet in FOREVER...

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Really hard to find one of these any more either.
    payphone.jpeg

yup... pay phones are rarely, if ever, seen any longer... let alone a booth....

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

For my 1954 Mystic Marvel I have a roll of mint 1954 Nickels

now that's what i'm talkin' about...

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The knocker stops working when you have maxed out credits.

sadly, i never have this "problem"....

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Coin op.
    And am really surprised at all the other folks here that are too. I just figured it was another one of my little 'deals' that I believed in... and would have to campaign or fight for.
    I just think it is the best possible way to play these games and get the most out of them. That is really my ultimate ambition... to get the most fun out of playing. I've read and heard it said on the newsgroups: "Replays... why? Come over to my house and I'll show you why. And yeah... if all you have to do is push the credit button again when it's on 'Free Play' of course replays aren't going to matter, that's my whole point. Now granted, I don't think you could ever get the same feeling as one played on route, that is 'always' going to be the best way. This is just the best you can do in a home environment .
    I remember one time my friend, Kenny Zdun was over here playing and said to me: "I get it, I understand now... and I think you're right". That made me feel real good.. because he knew what I was trying to do. It's not about trying to make money. The lousy little bit of coinage that is put in, doesn't even pay for the electricity these things use anymore... but that's not the point.
    And I must admit, that more often than not... I am just putting the coins in myself for a lot of the people that come over here and play these games. I wouldn't 'dream' of asking them to put money in my games. You have to be 'good' to put money in my games!!!
    But I have other collector friends that come over to play and put money in my games.. and I put money in their machines. And..... am happy to do so! Hey, I just got the specials lit...Whoo hooo!!

well put glen...

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Sure you can. Just close a switch on the replay unit so it never really zeroes out. You can still add credits via coin chute and replay.

yup, this is how mine are set up... best of both worlds...

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBellMan:

Cliffy shared with me his fix to free play without putting the game on free play. He installed a switch behind the coin eject button that adds credits and that way you still get to hear all of the sounds you are supposed to hear but without the coins. I believe it's just a leaf switch that's attached to the actual coin drop switch.

here is another switch re-location for "free play" that i installed on my jacks open...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-fonz-mod#post-1115830

#89 9 years ago

DF ain't givin' it up easily!!

Quoted from MikeO:

He isn't, is he?
    If he gets us too worked up with anticipation we'll truly be disappointed once he discloses it to us.

darnit... now i am going to have to heave my carcass out of my recliner and go try it... i've only fed a zillion quarters into it already, i'm gonna feel rather non-observant once i see what he means...

#92 9 years ago

You gotta do it, ccotenj... the suspense is killing us!!

ok, i went downstairs and did a few quick experiments... game is set to 2 plays per quarter on both coin slots...

- turned on game, game had credits... dropped quarter in both slots, nothing unusual...
    - ran all credits off game, turned off, turned back on... dropped quarter in both slots (resetting back to zero before trying 2nd slot, nothing unusual...

i gotta eat, i'll try different credit settings in a bit...

its also always possible that whatever is supposed to be happening is "broken" on my game...

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Or, it could be a custom tweak on mine too.
    I suppose I could always opt to fix it, but I kinda liked it.

since i gave it the old college try and experimented.... cough it up!

Quoted from dasvis:

Maybe he just does not have the current code update installed.

when a switch goes out of adjustment, the "code" is broken...

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

All right, I suppose I should fess up.

Someday I'll dig in and see where H is getting a signal, but it's not affecting anything else on the game, and I liked the mini light show so much, I've let it be. But you only get to see it via coining up.

at least i now know that i wasn't being completely oblivious...

uh, yea, you do, because i feel like i am missing out and want to reverse engineer it into my game...

#101 9 years ago

yes cool!!!

now you definitely have to figure out "why/how" so the rest of us can do it...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-player-or-coin-dropper?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.