13 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by Brokedad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

Right now my games are both on free play, but I'm toying with the idea of setting them to take tokens. There is something I miss about the sound and feeling of dropping a couple tokens in the machine to get a credit. Plus, I think in some weird it way makes it more special when you get a free game. What do you guys think? I have no experience with coin mechs. Do they break/jam often?

#2 13 years ago

None of my pinball machines have token mechs. Tokens are normally lighter than coins. The only machine I have that takes them is a slot machine built for them. There is a mechanical spring adjustment inside it as well as a switch setting. Do your machine(s) have a token option or just the normal quarters and dollar coins ? It'll be interesting to hear others responses on this.

#3 13 years ago

"Do your machine(s) have a token option, or just the normal quarters and dollar coins?"

This just goes to show how ignorant I am on the subject, because I honestly have no idea. I assume that both of my machines are set to take quarters, but I've never actually stuck a coin in one to see if the mechs even work. I am fairly certain that my TZ home ROM (9.4H) can only be set to free play, but I think there is a hacked version of the ROM available if I decide to go the token route. How easy is it to switch a game over from quarters to tokens? Does it require two completely different mechs?

#5 13 years ago

The other option is to just buy coin mechanisms made for tokens, as opposed to converting over quarter mech's. New ones are about $15-$25 each for the mech, or a lot of times you can find them on arcade forums for much less. It's just a matter of popping out the old mechanism and popping in the new one, real easy.

The other thing is that some of the coin slots may have to be modified, as tokens are thinner but bigger diameter than quarters. If you have the SBA dollar entry plates, those will work just fine, but a quarter entry plate needs to be filed a bit longer to fit the tokens.

-Hans

#6 13 years ago

"The other option is to just buy coin mechanisms made for tokens, as opposed to converting over quarter mech's ..."

For someone as mechanically handicapped as me, this probably makes the most sense. I'm beginning to think the whole idea may just be more trouble than it's worth. I was hoping that it was a simple as flipping a switch on the mech.

#7 13 years ago

Are you planning on putting them out somewhere to make money off them? I don't see why you should want to convert them if this is not the case, unless you just want to do it for the experience of doing it.

#8 13 years ago

I get what you are trying to do - there is something really cool about getting a reply in an arcade that is naturally lost when the game is on freeplay. Extra ball is def. cool - but its just not the original intent of that special obtained in the game. I sometimes feel giving an extra ball for a replay score further separates the good games from the ok games since you are already having a good game and now you have another ball to work with. Not saying its good or bad...just an observation.

anyway, I like your idea of tokens. I think it would be kinda cool to have some people over for a tournement where everyone had a set amount of tokens...if you earned a replay then its just another chance you have at having a high score on that game.

#9 13 years ago

I have some $1 / $5 bill feeders leftover from jukeboxes. Maybe I should put those in for parties ? hehehehe

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-play-or-tokens and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.