You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2721 (resized).JPG
175AE47D-D344-485D-8902-05C592A25D29 (resized).png
05C3AB55-889D-47A1-A0C1-AE3F454647FB (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I've read that someone has wired in a free play circuit from the coin return put-on on an Early Bally SS coin door, but for the life of me I can't figure out how. If you've done it, could you post a pic of how you installed it?

I do not want to do the start button double leaf switch setup...

#2 4 years ago

It's better to change the settings, so even a very low score wins a replay and adds credits.

Installing a physical switch creates extra problems.

#3 4 years ago

You can use the coin reject button as a free play button. Try this: Remove the left coin acceptor. Remove the coin micro switch from that side and reinstall it so that the trip wire is positioned just below the coin reject bar at the top of the removed coin acceptor's bracket. You should be able to reuse an existing hole and you will just have to drill one additional hole. You can reuse the original #4/40 bolts from the coin switch but you will have to tap the holes with a 4/40 SAE tap (The original 4/40 X 5/8" are not long enough to place nuts on them and a 4/40 x 1" bolts are generally not available at the local hardware store.) Install the bolt in the top hole first and tighten it in the desired position. Test the switch to make sure it works as desired. Use a 3/32" drill bit and drill the second hole using the lower hole in the micro switch as a guide. Remove the switch and tap the second hole. Reinstall the micro switch placing the top bolt in first but don't tighten it yet. Use an awl or similar sharp tool and push it through the lower hole to align it. Tighten the top bolt and then install the lower bolt. Now you will be able to use the coin reject button as a free credit button. Picture's are attached.
The good thing is that this method is reversible and no cosmetic damage is done to the door or cabinet. I did this on a Flash Gordon and pressing the button to hear Emperor Ming laugh never gets old. My 5 year old loves it!
05C3AB55-889D-47A1-A0C1-AE3F454647FB (resized).png05C3AB55-889D-47A1-A0C1-AE3F454647FB (resized).png175AE47D-D344-485D-8902-05C592A25D29 (resized).png175AE47D-D344-485D-8902-05C592A25D29 (resized).png

#4 4 years ago

US Bally games only used 2 of the 3 coin chutes the door was wired for. A common practice was to take the unused coin chute wires and connect them to a switch on top of the start button. Setting the coin chute for 1 or more credits per coin would then start a game and add credits at the same time.
I used to request we add a free play setting to the code but was rebuffed. The argument being Bally only made coin operated games.

#5 4 years ago

I found this solution applied on a Black Pyramid project I just picked up. A leaf switch is screwed to the coin mech in a way that the switch is activated when the coin return button is depressed.

IMG_2721 (resized).JPGIMG_2721 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greeneville, TN
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nutley, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.