Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinMonk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180329_211443 (resized).jpg
    thats what she said (resized).jpg
    DSCN5766 (resized).JPG
    images (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    20180328_143253 (resized).jpg
    20180328_163445 (resized).jpg
    20180328_163503 (resized).jpg
    20180328_163434 (resized).jpg
    20180328_163415 (resized).jpg
    There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Motion handling issues? Either I'm playing too many games and not watching enough TV or I'm just not susceptible to that. I remember some of the older LCD's having those like 10 to 15 years ago.

I've seen judder on every LCD I've ever owned. It varies depending on content.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Oh, yeah, I've heard of that, but after 14 years, still don't see any. I think half of that was from store displays showing static images 14 hours a day. I could of course be wrong.

As mcluvin stated, only an issue if your contrast is cranked and the screen orbiter is off. Even then, you can always "wipe" the screen clean with a static white/gray image.

I refuse to let go of my Panny VT60 (which is based off Pioneer Kuro technology), especially since no one is making 3D-compatible sets anymore. My black levels are amazing.

Upgrade your TV when ATSC 3.0 and HDMI 2.1 become readily available. 8K is not too far around the corner.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Oh, yeah, I've heard of that, but after 14 years, still don't see any. I think half of that was from store displays showing static images 14 hours a day. I could of course be wrong.

no it's prob there - you just don't see it or you're very lucky as all plasma's suffer from it. If you ran a color slide deck you would pick it up.

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

no it's prob there - you just don't see it or you're very lucky as all plasma's suffer from it. If you ran a color slide deck you would pick it up.

That is simply not true. Maybe with the first gen but it was fixed after that.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from highdef:

I refuse to let go of my Panny VT60 (which is based off Pioneer Kuro technology), especially since no one is making 3D-compatible sets anymore. My black levels are amazing.

Exactly, I have the same set. Awesome picture!

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

That is simply not true. Maybe with the first gen but it was fixed after that.

I had basically the last generation of plasma's built and I had burn in on mine as well. It was never fixed. Better, yes, never fixed. OLED's suffer from burn in as well evidently.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

LED never surpassed Plasma picture quality, but OLED is an upgrade in every regard. That's what finally got me.

We are changed over from Plasma to about 50% OLED in the house now (never would touch LCD tech after having plasma). Fantastic tech, especially in HDR mode with good source material. We have this exact plasma still in our bedroom, though. Still going strong.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I had basically the last generation of plasma's built and I had burn in on mine as well. It was never fixed. Better, yes, never fixed. OLED's suffer from burn in as well evidently.

You must have turned off the pixel orbiter and/or ran the panel in vivid mode. We had many high end Panasonic Plasmas, ending with a P65VT60 (second highest model, below the ZT, and the last one made) and never had burn in. Persistence? Yes. Burn in? No.

OLED tech is cool in that it "cleans" the cells while the TV is "off", removing any persistence from the last session. We've had our main one for about 18 months now and no issues at all.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Motion handling issues? Either I'm playing too many games and not watching enough TV or I'm just not susceptible to that. I remember some of the older LCD's having those like 10 to 15 years ago. .

ALL LCD tech has it because of the way LCD tech works works. DO NOT let someone demo how to see the effect because once you can see it, you will NEVER, EVER unsee it. It will ruin all LCD TVs for you forever.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from highdef:

We had a 65VT60, too, but OLED makes the blacks on that top end plasma look like gray. It's really astounding.

#61 6 years ago

You guys hanging on to your old TVs are preaching to the choir here.

DSCN5766 (resized).JPGDSCN5766 (resized).JPG

Panasonic FTW!

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

If I can't see it, then it doesn't exist for me.

#63 6 years ago

All 4 of our tvs are plasma and I won't be getting rid of them until they go. 50" Pioneer in the living room has been running flawlessly(knock on wood) for over 11 years and the picture looks better than some of the junk I see in people's homes. No burn in here to complain of. Only complaints are energy use is higher and while it helps keep the room warm during colder months it also keeps the room really warm in warmer months.

#64 6 years ago

I grew up playing 16 bit games on CRT TVs. I found such a TV from 1999 that was dumped in someone's front yard, got rained on, has a busted case, and has some minor scrapes on the front. It had a broken tuner and video input jack. After modifying it with an RGB SCART input it works great. Have it hooked up to a Raspberry Pi using Recalbox to play emulators on!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/64-direct-view-single-tube-crt-displays/2484081-rgb-input-hack-attempt.html

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

55 incher - the last one Costco had and big display model discount. $1300 - half price at the time.
    Not selling till it blows up.

That picture looks like it was taken with a polaroid.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Exactly. Never "fixed" it's inherent to the technology

Btw I like the use of the word persistence for burn in that goes away eventually. Whatever you call it regardless if it's permanent it's a PIA and really was annoying to have to worry about.

I used to be crazy into TVs getting the latest etc. Since I bought my 65 OLED a few years back from LG, I haven't even thought about a new TV. It's unbelievable how nice of a pic it is. 4k HDR just adds to the insanity that I'm watching but as an owner of it I don't think it's imperative.

The fact that when the screen is showing black it looks like the tv isn't even turned on still impresses me three years later

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

When mounting them to the wall.

Yea I get it, and I’m not trying to be a smart ass here.. but you don’t move it from wall to wall right? 1 and done. I’ve logged thousands of hours on mine with no burn in. When it comes to FPS, I need every advantage I can get over those 12yr old zombies... 600mhz refresh is almost crt fast. Edit: without long term burn in. I’ve had some short term from the wife leaving dvd’s In the menus too long

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Yea I get it, and I’m not trying to be a smart ass here.. but you don’t move it from wall to wall right? 1 and done. I’ve logged thousands of hours on mine with no burn in. When it comes to FPS, I need every advantage I can get over those 12yr old zombies... 600mhz refresh is almost crt fast. Edit: without long term burn in. I’ve had some short term from the wife leaving dvd’s In the menus too long

The 600 thing will not help with gaming. What really counts with gaming is response time (input lag). Plasma is no better than LCD for that.

#69 6 years ago

Input lag is caused (partially but significantly) by digital signal processing (post-processing of an input signal before it is displayed on screen).
    TV manufacturers tend to develop newer and more processing-power demanding DSP techniques over time, which add to input lag when active.
    For this reason, newer TV models tend to have higher input lag figures than their previous generation counterparts (however, nearly all TVs nowadays have a 'Game Mode" picture preset which disables most of the post-processing effects in order to reduce input lag).

To avoid confusion, it is important to note that the two are independent of each other.
    A display can have a high response time but low input lag, and vice-versa. Ideally, you should be looking for a display with both a low response time and low input lag.

As mentioned previously in this thread, Plasma displays will beat nearly all LCD displays hands down when it comes to BOTH response time and input lag

#70 6 years ago

while we're talking about tvs, what's really impressed me on the super cheap side is TCL. Bought one recently as everyone was saying how good they were. I didn't believe it - but 400 bucks for 55 4k HDR and I will tell you - the pic is very very good. I've seen so many too in my years of being a TV techy. Highly recommned that TCL Roku one.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Plasma is no better than LCD for that.

It is if you get one old enough! The problem with input lag on LCD and LED televisions is all the stupid image processing that’s done. A lot of newer TVs have a “game mode” that minimizes the lag by less image processing, but there’s still definitely lag. I noticed this when playing some virtual console games on the Wii U on my LCD.

Old plasmas, if old and cheap enough, won’t have any image processors in it, and have (as far as I can tell), imperceptible lag compared to CRT monitors.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

God I miss Plasma

I was under the impression that the new OLEDs from LG were comparable to plasma. They sure look nice with the demo video at best buy.

#73 6 years ago

Did the OP ever find the TV a new home?
    Believe it or not I have had more difficulty trying to give something away vs. selling things at a cheap price. Not sure if it is the psychology -- people think there is a catch to getting something for free vs. they are more willing to pay a couple dollars and get a great deal?

Anyway, Iif I was closer I'd have picked it up by now -- my old Sony Tube TV went out in the spare room awhile back and I have not picked up a replacement yet.

GLWT Giveaway.

#74 6 years ago

I only have 3D and they're getting harder to find!

#75 6 years ago

I'm still rocking the 42'' plasma in the basement, but I'm upgrading to a projector soon. Gonna go as big as I can.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I only have 3D and they're getting harder to find!

I've got a 65" Sharp that is really a Hisense. If you load the Hisense firmware, it enables 3D.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Gonna go as big as I can.

thats what she said (resized).jpgthats what she said (resized).jpg

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

while we're talking about tvs, what's really impressed me on the super cheap side is TCL. Bought one recently as everyone was saying how good they were. I didn't believe it - but 400 bucks for 55 4k HDR and I will tell you - the pic is very very good. I've seen so many too in my years of being a TV techy. Highly recommned that TCL Roku one.

I have a 40 sum inch one over my bar, dude.. it’s incredible for the ~ 250 I paid for it. Wish it had more inputs for stuff, but that’s a whole different discussion

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

As mentioned previously in this thread, Plasma displays will beat nearly all LCD displays hands down when it comes to BOTH response time and input lag

I don't think that necessarily true. See this article from 2013, when plasma's were still being made:

https://www.cnet.com/news/game-mode-on-cnet-tests-tvs-for-input-lag/

The top 5 were all non-plasma. So you're saying, well those are newer, what about older models?

Looks like 46ms for an older 2008 Kuro.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

plasma tv's are awesome. Have a 65" in my bedroom.

Do you turn off the heat when the tv is on?

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Did the OP ever find the TV a new home?
    Believe it or not I have had more difficulty trying to give something away vs. selling things at a cheap price. Not sure if it is the psychology -- people think there is a catch to getting something for free vs. they are more willing to pay a couple dollars and get a great deal?
    Anyway, Iif I was closer I'd have picked it up by now -- my old Sony Tube TV went out in the spare room awhile back and I have not picked up a replacement yet.
    GLWT Giveaway.

Not yet. I hear ya though.

#82 6 years ago

Man Plasma's are turning into CRT's, nice to still folks running them. I just need my Arcades CRT's fixed sigh.

Sony 75" Z9D owner FALD estimate about 800 zones, I love 3D its better than movie theaters , I love bright HDR images & OMG the brightness on this set! right now with Sony Dolby Vision is waiting on other updates its a mess, knowing that OLED has 5-10% better blacks and not by much on my Z9D, but ot have 50-60% more brightness its moot since I am well under the price of a 75" OLED, since I never watch movies from an angle I am good. OLED will go the way of Plasma... MicroLED will replace OLED soon and be vastly superior.

Carry on

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I don't think that necessarily true. See this article from 2013, when plasma's were still being made:
    The top 5 were all non-plasma. So you're saying, well those are newer, what about older models?
    » YouTube video

My 2016 LG OLED has a 26ms lag time in game mode. And it looks like this year's LG OLEDs are down to 12.4ms in game mode (that's 4k + HDR). Both extremely good. So I don't think lag time should be a factor in sticking with plasma vs. upgrading to OLED.

Quoted from camcamaro1991:

OLED will go the way of Plasma... MicroLED will replace OLED soon and be vastly superior.

True enough! There will always be something better around the bend for us to spend our money on. And the TV industry learned their lesson from cell phone and laptop manufacturers, you don't maximize profits selling products that people will contentedly use for 10-20 years, you want 'em itching to upgrade every two or three years.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

» YouTube video

Yea, The older models were faster. I recall some of the panasonic’s in the 10-20 ms range.. I can’t find anything to back it up tho.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

I hear ya, but if you have any sort of articulating/extendable mount, the lighter the better. I have steel framing which makes it that much more of a consideration. I've got a fireplace mounted TV that extends out and down. It's a 65" LCD with FALD which makes it kinda heavy. It's no fun pushing it back up above the fireplace.

#86 6 years ago

Televisions, Refrigerators, Dishwashers, Toasters, Coffee Equipment, Motorbikes, Automobiles, Pin Haulers, Tool Boxes, Pools, Juke Boxes, Slot Machines, Watches, Home Bars, Security Systems, Garages, Travelling, Decks, Stereo Equipment, Kids Toys, Books, Art Work, Lighting, Pets, Significant Others, Families, Alcohol Choices, Bit Coin, Stocks, Amusement Parks, Boats, Movies, Music, Ghosts, UFO's. Pinside certainly has everybody's interests covered, it truly is a complete site.

#87 6 years ago

You need to move "Shitty music" up to the top of your list

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Televisions, Refrigerators, Dishwashers, Toasters, Coffee Equipment, Motorbikes, Automobiles, Pin Haulers, Tool Boxes, Pools, Juke Boxes, Slot Machines, Watches, Home Bars, Security Systems, Garages, Decks, Stereo Equipment, Books, Art Work, Lighting, Pets, Significant Others, Families, Alcohol Choices, Boats, Movies, Pinside certainly has everybody's interests covered, it truly is a complete site.

I'm waiting for vids guide on getting a colonoscopy, then I think we will have covered just about everything.

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Televisions, Refrigerators, Dishwashers, Toasters, Coffee Equipment, Motorbikes, Automobiles, Pin Haulers, Tool Boxes, Pools, Juke Boxes, Slot Machines, Watches, Home Bars, Security Systems, Garages, Decks, Stereo Equipment, Books, Art Work, Lighting, Pets, Significant Others, Families, Alcohol Choices, Boats, Movies, Pinside certainly has everybody's interests covered, it truly is a complete site.

and sports.

#90 6 years ago

Here's my 50" Pany . Pretty sure we got it in 2002

20180329_211443 (resized).jpg20180329_211443 (resized).jpg

Still looks great , I think.

#91 6 years ago

I don't have a fair opinion of plasma, as the 1 or 2 plasma TVs I've seen over the years have been crappy with a fuzzy picture. However, they seem to have a lot of similarities with CRTs. They have glass screens, are powered by high voltage, can suffer from burn in, generate heat, are self illuminating, have excellent contrast, standard definition content looks better than on an LCD, they last for many years, and are now somewhat sought after by enthusiasts. Who knew!

#92 6 years ago

So you're saying I should list this for more than I paid for it? Ok then, no longer free, new price is $2,500!

Ha, no, still free.

Did I mention it comes with a working remote?!?!

Free beer with pick up!

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Did I mention it comes with a working remote?!?!
    Free beer with pick up!

How is this still available?

The free beer should get it gone....

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Free beer with pick up!

On my way.

#95 6 years ago

Plasma has found a good home, I know you were all concerned

#96 6 years ago

Fiberdude120?

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Fiberdude120?

No it was not me. But I do help drink Rons beer.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Plasma has found a good home, I know you were all concerned

Sweet!

You got any free boots to give away?

#99 6 years ago

One more question,
    Any one have luck connecting one of these Panasonic Plasmas to A Roku device ?

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

One more question,
    Any one have luck connecting one of these Panasonic Plasmas to A Roku device ?

We had ours connected to a 2nd Gen roku.

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-plasma-tv/page/2?hl=hailrazer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.