(Topic ID: 93844)

Free pinball while you wait for an oil change!?!?!!

By Minneapolispin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG
Pinky-and-the-Brain.jpg
IMG_1001.jpg
IMG_0776-821.jpg
IMG_1249.jpg
Picture 006.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg
image-223.jpg
photo.JPG
#1 9 years ago

My mouth about hit the floor when I took my truck in for an oil change this afternoon at a Ford dealership here in Apple Valley, Minnesota. There sat the new Mustang pinball machine! I walked up to it thinking my son and I are about to drop some money into it while we wait for the oil change. To my absolute delight, it was set to free play!!

photo.JPGphoto.JPG
#2 9 years ago

image-223.jpgimage-223.jpg

#3 9 years ago

I'd certainly be damn sure to get my oil changed and each month!!!!!

#4 9 years ago

Hopefully they know how to keep it clean and working.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I'm sure they follow a strict service schedule and rotate the balls every couple thousand plays.

#6 9 years ago

People actually get their oil changed at the dealership?!?

Dont they charge a lot more?

#7 9 years ago

You can't believe how badly beat up the playfield already is. I was shocked. It surely is played hundreds of times a day, but if this was in someone's house, I wonder if their machine will look like this in a few years of playing time.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Depends. Here at my dealership you can buy a 4 pack of oil changes for 58.00. My truck takes 7 quarts of oil. Add the costs up for filter and oil alone and it's a no-brainer.

#9 9 years ago

Looks like the theory that some dealers would buy it is playing out (at least one). Cool dealer.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Depends. Here at my dealership you can buy a 4 pack of oil changes for 58.00. My truck takes 7 quarts of oil. Add the costs up for filter and oil alone and it's a no-brainer.

Wow....that is a great price, it costs more just to buy the oil and filter at an auto part store.

Sorry , not trying to derail thread... i would love to play some free pinball while someone else changed my oil for cheaper than I could do it...

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

I paid $19 for the oil change and played $30+ worth of pinball! This dealership rocks! They also have free popcorn and a free soda fountain. I think I'm going to go over there again today after work.

#12 9 years ago

I change my own oil.. but something like that might make me reconsider

#13 9 years ago

That's awesome! Hopefully more dealers pick up on this. Occasionally I'll have a machine in the garage for people to play while I'm working on their cars.
// Error: Image 244928 not found //
IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0001.jpg
Picture 006.jpgPicture 006.jpg
// Error: Image 244929 not found //
IMG_1249.jpgIMG_1249.jpg
IMG_0776-821.jpgIMG_0776-821.jpg
IMG_1001.jpgIMG_1001.jpg

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

You can't believe how badly beat up the playfield already is. I was shocked. It surely is played hundreds of times a day, but if this was in someone's house, I wonder if their machine will look like this in a few years of playing time.

Can you elaborate? All the ones I saw at TPF looked fine after the show and I'm guessing they all got close to 1000 plays. Are you talking about dimpling or were their wear spots already? Assuming the scoop is starting to show signs of play but outside of that I can't imagine any real damage since dimpling is normal.

#15 9 years ago

Very nice offering at the dealership - Next time you go and if you don't mind, post some pics of the problems with the playfield - Is it just dirty or is it getting worn and out of shape? Maybe ask them if you can open it just to see how many balls have been played? (Take a thumb-drive with the latest software and upgrade it for 'em while you're at it). . .be kinda cool to know.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Can you elaborate? All the ones I saw at TPF looked fine after the show and I'm guessing they all got close to 1000 plays. Are you talking about dimpling or were their wear spots already? Assuming the scoop is starting to show signs of play but outside of that I can't imagine any real damage since dimpling is normal.

The lower playfield area was badly dimpled, but there were also several wear spots and a lot of black residue that looked like scuff marks. It was strange, because the rest of the game, including the cabinet and back-box were in mint condition. I've never seen a new game like this, have such a terrible looking playfield. I'm going to sneak back over there this weekend for some more free games, and will take a few photos to post up.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

You know they have wax and a few guys who know how to detail.

They might even have a few guys with mechanical skills (might).

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

They only charge $59.

#19 9 years ago

I'd like to hear more about the wear spots. I'm interested in getting one of these down the road so am curious about this.

The dimples are normal and will blend over time so I think that's a non-issue. My AV looked like a golf ball after about 100 plays. Now I have about 700 on it and it looks smooth again. Mustang is so bright with bright colors it will look worse than most others. Could be a bad PF though.

The black is probably just dirt. I bought my ST Pro at the TPF from Marco. It was played non stop for 3 days. I got it home and saw several scuf marks that got me real nervous that it was damaged. Took the novus 2 out and it looks brand new again (minus the dimples of course )

The wear spots is what has me tuned in. Pics would be awesome.

P.S. - I'm going to have to check out my dealership to see if they have one. If not, I wonder if I can make a deal with them to where maybe I could buy one and put it on location there and we split the profits.

#20 9 years ago

I kept looking at all the people sitting there reading magazines or flipping around on their iPhones and was yelling in my head, "People -there's a free pinball machine over here!!".

#21 9 years ago

Was in Madison WI just under a year ago and had to get a tire fixed and luckily they have a Creature for the BL there for me to play while I waited. I couldn't believe it, it was awesome. The place is actually on the pinside map. It is called DIMAGGIO'S SERVICE CENTER..

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They might even have a few guys with mechanical skills (might).

Jeeees! I hope so!

#23 9 years ago

That's been my worry with the new sterns...
There is a ST Prem at the pinball hall of fame, and the playfield looks like absolute hamburger.
So I know everyone says the dimples will eventually go away (blend together) and all that...
But I'm not convinced.

#24 9 years ago

I hope you let the manager know how happy that made you!

#25 9 years ago

Are you sure it was wear? The black crap is just from the rubbers, it cleans up sweet. I'd be interested in seeing the wear as well, but guessing that's not happening for another month

I wish there were pinball machines everywhere I had to wait. I wonder if places like this would get more business if they had freeplay machines in the lobby. Who want's a crappy coffee and to sit and watch CNN - blah!

#26 9 years ago

anyone thinkin what I'm thinkin?
Pinky-and-the-Brain.jpgPinky-and-the-Brain.jpg
I think I need to visit a few ford dealers in a couple years. The playfields will probably be beat to death, can probably pickup a Stern Mustang for a song.

#27 9 years ago

My local Prime Honda has a World Cup Soccer but it has been turned off for god-knows how long.

#28 9 years ago

Working at a Ford dealer I inquired about pricing on the machines.
Our cost is $100 under list....sucks. I got mine from Gio lol.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But they don't have anyone who knows how to unlatch a lockdown bar and remove the playfield glass. It sounds like it has never been cleaned. I doubt Ford has a service plan for pinball machines.

Original poster should ask the service manager if he can show someone how to clean the game. Then he wouldn't need to 'sneak' over there. He could go any time he wants.

#30 9 years ago

its a ford. it will break down soon

#31 9 years ago

Try getting an oil change when your truck takes 13 quarts of oil with the filter. Plan on changing to synthetic soon and change my own.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I'd volunteer to come in every month or two and do a quick cleaning for them, assuming they didnt have anyone. Just so everyone enjoyed a nice working pin!

#33 9 years ago

By the way, the volume had been turned almost all the way down, so the only thing you can hear is the banging of the flippers and the pop bumpers. Apparently they were getting complaints from people in the waiting room lounge about the noise.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

By the way, the volume had been turned almost all the way down, so the only thing you can hear is the banging of the flippers and the pop bumpers. Apparently they were getting complaints from people in the waiting room lounge about the noise.

Bah,
I hate that!

Think I need to take my Mustang to a dealer, get a test drive in a new one, and see if they have a Pin! There's my Saturday!

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Jeeees! I hope so!

Union shop, they will only clean it with a repair or work order.

#37 9 years ago

Ha ha! No way, that is awesome. I can't wait to show him this. He's going to think that is so cool that Stern saw his photo. Thanks for the heads up! -Ben

#38 9 years ago

We had a chance to play the Premium (or is this the LE?) version of Mustang yesterday at Blainebrook Bowl, in Minneapolis. I was completely blown away by this version! What an amazing game. I’m not a Mustang car fan, but would buy this pin in a second.

By the way, you should have seen the smile on his face when I showed him the Stern Facebook post. Best Father’s Day ever. Thanks Stern!

photo 5.JPGphoto 5.JPG

photo 4.JPGphoto 4.JPG
#39 9 years ago

They just picked him as one of the winners of their Facebook contest!! Thanks Stern! I'm ordering a Metallica Pro this week, so the timing is awesome to get a signed translite.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-pinball-while-you-wait-for-an-oil-change and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.