Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Dr_Gonzo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2317_(Large).JPG
    IMG_2311_(Large).JPG
    2803f1.jpg
    IMG_2297_(Large).JPG
    IMG_2278_(Large).JPG
    gazzelle.jpg
    IMG_2261_(Medium).JPG
    wizard2.JPG
    wizard11.JPG
    wizard10.JPG
    wizard9.JPG
    wizard8.JPG
    wizard7.JPG
    wizard5.JPG
    wizard4.JPG
    wizard3.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

I had postulated in another thread that there were pins out there that I wouldn't cross a county line much less a state line to get for free

Took a road trip to look at a project pin. Seller was listing it for $300. Apparently the seller has had it for decades in their home, but it hadn't been fully functional for a decade. I had powered about a month ago when another prospective buyer came to look, but no longer would power. For a project machine, the description seemed compelling enough to take the 300+ miles (each way) to take a look.

Long story short, I ultimately was going to walk away. I considered offering a token amount, but decided against it. As we were backing out of the driveway the wife stopped us and asked if we would just haul it. We obliged.

We wrap it, pack it in the back of the truck and hauled it home.

wizard1.JPGwizard1.JPG

Someone mentioned in another thread cautioning against getting a pin that was in a fire. Check!

wizard2.JPGwizard2.JPG

#2 12 years ago

It did seem to have the much sought after two-prong plug conversion.

wizard3.JPGwizard3.JPG

Along with the foil wrapped fuse power bypass

wizard4.JPGwizard4.JPG

#3 12 years ago

Apparently an accelerant was used in the fire and ate at the art that didn't burn.

wizard5.JPGwizard5.JPG

#4 12 years ago

And the playfield

wizard7.JPGwizard7.JPG

The inserts were actually dimples in the playfield. I could see the ball talking some wild hops - not good since the glass seemed to be regular plate glass rather then tempered

wizard8.JPGwizard8.JPG

#5 12 years ago

Its definitely had a hard life

wizard9.JPGwizard9.JPG

#6 12 years ago

The one jewel is the backglass. I didn't want to acknowledge it while checking it out because the seller kept mentioning it. As it turns out, its absolutely beautiful. No flaking or scratches that I've found (the mud dauber nest aside). It doesn't appear coated, so I will definitely work on that first. It might just get framed after that even though I'm sure I could sell it to pay for the trip

wizard10.JPGwizard10.JPG wizard11.JPGwizard11.JPG

#7 12 years ago

I really doubt that this machine will ever be playable again. I plan to fix the plug and fuses to see if I can get it powered. However, even if I do manage to get it lit up, I doubt the guts are in sufficient shape that it could play again. It'd be difficult just to trace wires as the insulation of wires in many bundles are simply faded and cracked at this point.

Nonetheless, I was looking for a pin that I could learn/practice restoration skills - albeit with the expectation that it'd play at the end of the effort. Much like a med student learning surgery skills on a cadaver, I'll use this as my cadaver to develop the skills and tool set to restore a pin to working condition once I locate a true project pin.

In the meantime I'm still on the lookout for that first pin. I beleive there is a certain expectation of functionality for a pin to be a pin. As such, I don't think this quite qualifies as my first pin.

#8 12 years ago

You can do it!! Get that sucker up and running!!

#9 12 years ago

You would be surprised after a good cleaning what you may end up with,
    Think you have a good winter project on your hands

#10 12 years ago

Are you sure this pin wasn't the CAUSE of the fire? Wow.

PF doesn't seem to be too bad... considering 100k plays.

#11 12 years ago

The upper playfield has most wear. One of the reasons I like this pin to restore first is the lack of detail in the playfield art. Makes it easier for my decidedly non-artistic abilities.

I just don't know if I could get the pf and inserts level to be playable. It'll likely get cleaned, retouched and finished nonetheless if only for the practice.

IMG_2261_(Medium).JPGIMG_2261_(Medium).JPG

#12 12 years ago

Damn, that is one DIRTY pin. But hey - for just the price of a long drive - it's a great deal. You're right, that backglass alone would have been worth the trip. As Hellodeadcity said, you may be surprised how good it will clean up. But if all the wire's are crispy, getting it running again may be a challange.

#13 12 years ago

Is the playfield warped? Inserts are easy to level.. hairdryer, block of wood, mallet, gel super glue.. and a little patience.

Most appear to be just circles or rollover stars, you don't even have to worry about decals on the inserts.. cupcake. You.. can.. DO IT!

gazzelle.jpggazzelle.jpg

#14 12 years ago

Looks like one HDC can help if no other .. no more EM's for me especially four player project machines. I just traded another EM for $200 credit at the local store dropped off for free.

#15 12 years ago

Good deal! Get that thing working.

The Backglass is spectacular. The PF is gonna take a bit of work to get looking nice again, but with 100k plays, i'm surprised it's in that condition too (esp on a machine of that vintage)... What i'm most worried about is the electromechanical gizzardry that runs it...

#16 12 years ago

It looks a bit better once the plastics are gone. For some reason there was two rubber bands on each of the sling shots.

It'll take a couple days to get the new cord, fuses and fuse holder. Then we'll see if/how it powers up.

IMG_2278_(Large).JPGIMG_2278_(Large).JPG

#17 12 years ago

Hey it's got Flag Targets

#18 12 years ago

Shame it's in such terrible shape. Fun game with excellent artwork. Playfield and plastics have been reproduced, if you decide to go that route.

#19 12 years ago

I know this may sound completely off topic, but is that a BMW 6-series in the first picture?

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I know this may sound completely off topic, but is that a BMW 6-series in the first picture?

Why, yes it is. my 85 635CSi (arctic blue) rolling restoration project car. Its awaiting time for me to replace a freezing caliper (as well as other things).

IMG_2297_(Large).JPGIMG_2297_(Large).JPG

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from wizzardz:

Its awaiting time for me to replace a freezing caliper (as well as other things).

Can't wait to see it restored. Keep up the good work.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Can't wait to see it restored. Keep up the good work.

Don't know where in Sandy Eggo you live...but you may have seen it (or the Z3) cruisin around. I lived there 25 years (until about 4 years ago) in the RB/Carmel Mtn area and worked in Mira Mesa

#23 12 years ago

hit it with a magic eraser and some 90% alcohol. You might be suprised how much the playfield brightens up. Then you can decide from there. Good luck.

#24 12 years ago

They play field is dirty, but it looks like it will clean up nice enough. Mr clean eraser and some novus 2 For the plastic and you should be good to go.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from wizzardz:

Don't know where in Sandy Eggo you live...but you may have seen it (or the Z3) cruisin around. I lived there 25 years (until about 4 years ago) in the RB/Carmel Mtn area and worked in Mira Mesa

I might have seen it, but since there are a lot of 635CSi's and Z3's here in SD, I'm not totally sure if I saw your car.

#26 12 years ago

You can do it, the backglass and field look much better than the cabinet

#27 12 years ago

Do it for Ann-Margaret!

2803f1.jpg2803f1.jpg

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Do it for Ann-Margaret!

Might be more inspiring if she was dressed and posed like in the backglass (not sure what pose she's going for here).

If I can get the thing running, I'll likely do new cabinet art. I just noticed that the brochure has the red and blue (black?) colors reversed from production. Might have to consider using black and getting black side rails and legs.

#29 12 years ago

After a bit of Magic Erasure and 91% isopropyl. There's still a haze to the treated side. I was perhaps a bit more aggressive than I should have, but went thru a pad just for this area. I might have to see if I can get a couple layers of grime off with iso and paper towel before using the pads. I'll be easier once I can get to taking the rest of the playfield down - after I check electrical first.

IMG_2311_(Large).JPGIMG_2311_(Large).JPG IMG_2317_(Large).JPGIMG_2317_(Large).JPG

#30 12 years ago

BAM! Melamine foam for the win!

#31 12 years ago

go for it

#32 12 years ago

sometimes it would take 3 - 4 times with millwax pinball wax to get a game clean
    keep at it- no pain no gain

#33 12 years ago

Looks like it's cleaning up nicely. Don't sweat the haze, it's a byproduct of the eraser and alcohol. Comes right off.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-pin-first-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.