So, I had thought about trying something like this for a while. Recently, the bottom RGB light strip in the back box had started to partially detach. It's just glue securing it to the backbox. I figured it was a good time to test out my idea.
Instead of pressing the strip back into place, I removed it completely. I then cut the small tie wrap holding the wiring in place. This gave me enough slack to feed the strip through the hole on the bottom left side of the backbox, into the cabinet over the upper playfield. I was then able to stick the stip along the back of the cabinet near the top of the glass with the strip facing down towards the playfield. I ran it just behind the lip there, to obscure the strip from direct sight. The results are amazing! Not only is the rollover area and pop bumper area fully illuminated, but it's illuminated with full color changing RGB. The ghosts on the backboard also really pop! I hardly notice the difference with the translite, so this seems like a win-win. It only takes a few minutes to do and costs nothing. I'm sure my photo won't do it justice. This really has a huge impact on the look of the game.