IMG_0876.JPG
image-166.jpg
image.jpg
366894.jpg
366895.jpg
365674-i.jpg
image-471.jpg
AMH_RGB_Betelgeuse.jpg
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

So, I had thought about trying something like this for a while. Recently, the bottom RGB light strip in the back box had started to partially detach. It's just glue securing it to the backbox. I figured it was a good time to test out my idea.

Instead of pressing the strip back into place, I removed it completely. I then cut the small tie wrap holding the wiring in place. This gave me enough slack to feed the strip through the hole on the bottom left side of the backbox, into the cabinet over the upper playfield. I was then able to stick the stip along the back of the cabinet near the top of the glass with the strip facing down towards the playfield. I ran it just behind the lip there, to obscure the strip from direct sight. The results are amazing! Not only is the rollover area and pop bumper area fully illuminated, but it's illuminated with full color changing RGB. The ghosts on the backboard also really pop! I hardly notice the difference with the translite, so this seems like a win-win. It only takes a few minutes to do and costs nothing. I'm sure my photo won't do it justice. This really has a huge impact on the look of the game.

Brian

AMH_RGB_Betelgeuse.jpgAMH_RGB_Betelgeuse.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Cool. Can't wait to get mine. Already thinking of ways to customize and personalize. Is that Elvira checking out your game?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from vilant:

Is that Elvira checking out your game?

She's my game room cocktail waitress.

#5 9 years ago

Wow awesome idea

#6 9 years ago

*bump for the day crowd

#7 9 years ago

Well I hate to hear the RGB strip worked loose, but nice adaption! We did something similar at MGC last year with the proto zombie game. It worked so well we actually adopted it permanently.

#8 9 years ago

Is pinball bulbs going to do a brighting kit it for amh,in understand they are working on it

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Well I hate to hear the RGB strip worked loose, but nice adaption! We did something similar at MGC last year with the proto zombie game. It worked so well we actually adopted it permanently.

Does that mean you've adopted it permanently into AMH or another Zombie game?

#10 9 years ago

Well I hate to hear the RGB strip worked loose, but nice adaption!

It was a blessing in disguise, Charlie. I'm definitely leaving the strip where it is now.

Quoted from rockrand:

Is pinball bulbs going to do a brighting kit it for amh,in understand they are working on it

I had been waiting for this to be released for a while now, but I confirmed with them that it does not include any RGB additions.

#11 9 years ago

I did the same on my amh and wow what a difference it made,do it.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I did the same on my amh and wow what a difference it made,do it.

Nice! I had some friends over playing the game the other night and they couldn't believe it. I was able to watch the lighting as a spectator and really check out the effects. The pulse to green when the pops are hit and the lightening crashes in the boss battles looked particularly awesome. Somehow that back panel with the ghosts on it pops like an LCD display with the lighting like this.

#13 9 years ago

Hey Charlie -

Does the power supply working the LED strips have enough juice to run an extra strip of LEDs?

Since it's GI, I'm guessing that they aren't individually addressable strips, so chaining on should be pretty easy if there's enough power.

#14 9 years ago

nice adaption! We did something similar at MGC last year with the proto zombie game. It worked so well we actually adopted it permanently.

Charlie... are you going to move the light strip to this new location, on the rest of the AMH games to be shipped?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Charlie... are you going to move the light strip to this new location, on the rest of the AMH games to be shipped?

Feel free to do this with mine!

One of the benefits of a later build is having the early buyers evolve this game into a masterpiece!

Probably a headache for Spooky though.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeHogue:

Feel free to do this with mine!

Do mine too! Thanks!

#17 9 years ago

I added 4 cointaker star post LEDs under the slings and it looks very very cool also and of course it take a little longer than the light strip relocation but both are a must

image-471.jpgimage-471.jpg

#18 9 years ago

The sling lighted posts are real nice!

#19 9 years ago

This gave me the motivation to finally finish a new video. Here's the game with the light mod!

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

This gave me the motivation to finally finish a new video. Here's the game with the light mod!
» YouTube video

That's the best gameplay video yet. Spooky should promote it.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I clicked the vid link and it wouldn't play for me.

I'm looking to add the (4) lighted cone posts under slings, and relocate the light string to above the ghosts in back (if Spooky & gang doesn't do it to future games shipped). I'm excited should be paid in full 2 months.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I clicked the vid link and it wouldn't play for me.
I'm looking to add the (4) lighted cone posts under slings, and relocate the light string to above the ghosts in back (if Spooky & gang doesn't do it to future games shipped). I'm excited should be paid in full 2 months.

rt click new tab (left clicking is broke for now)
-mof

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

rt click new tab (left clicking is broke for now)
-mof

Ah, I wondered about that, I had to do that too.

#24 9 years ago

Thanks mof... right clicking did it.

#25 9 years ago

Yea, I'm not sure what's up. I can't seem to get the video to imbed properly. I added the direct link.

#26 9 years ago

those lit sling posts look like they do real wonders for the lower playfield, great idea rockrand!

#27 9 years ago

Looks like left clicking the vid is working now...

I should also mention that I did change some of the audio tracks in the game, so this is not as it comes from the factory.

#28 9 years ago

Vid worked for me, and thanks for posting. Just awesome. That simple mod lighting effect sure does make the ghosts pop and adds more of an eeriness factor as well, it seems. It makes me even more excited to receive my game, which I expect in a month or two. If you'll be at PAPA, I'll look you up so we can talk some AMH.

#29 9 years ago

Looks great. I normally install 12v LED strips under the backbox in my pins just like that. Facing down and the upper playfield gets lit up terrifically.

Here's my Star Wars and a Frankenstein I shopped and modded for a friend with the LED strips.

365674-i.jpg365674-i.jpg 366895.jpg366895.jpg 366894.jpg366894.jpg
#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

» YouTube video

Nice gameplay video - thanks for making it!

#31 9 years ago

We use bog standard 12 volt RGB strips. We cut two 6 foot pieces in half.

There are technically left and right sides though I didn't do much separating the colors. Point is, you could add this strip onto the existing wire in parallel. Check the PCB marking near the plug for the pin out.

+12 volt out
Red return
Green return
Blue return

Additionally this could drive the color changing ColorDmd in Sigma mode.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Point is, you could add this strip onto the existing wire in parallel.

Thanks Ben. I'll pick up a strip so I'm ready to go when my game shows up. With some extra wiring, it should be easy to add to the apron if I want as well.

Are they 60leds/m or 30leds/m?

Post edited by pinlynx: Added Question

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Check the PCB marking near the plug for the pin out.

+12 volt out
Red return
Green return
Blue return

Thanks, Ben! I was wondering if this was possible. I hope you don't mind me mucking with your masterpiece.

#34 9 years ago

It's yours now do whatever you want to it!

I would say though, better to add stuff to the 12 v line than 5 as 5 is used for a lot more stuff.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

So, I had thought about trying something like this for a while. Recently, the bottom RGB light strip in the back box had started to partially detach. It's just glue securing it to the backbox. I figured it was a good time to test out my idea.

Very nice Betelgeuse!

#36 9 years ago

If someone could snap a few pics of this process and the installation it would be great. I'm a little more challenged in this area and need Lego like parts and instructions.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

If someone could snap a few pics of this process and the installation it would be great. I'm a little more challenged in this area and need Lego like parts and instructions.

I'd like this too...especially if it's buying and adding a new one on to what's existing. I could probably figure out taking one from the backbox, but it sounds like adding one might be cool if it can be done.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from zero:

I'd like this too...especially if it's buying and adding a new one on to what's existing. I could probably figure out taking one from the backbox, but it sounds like adding one might be cool if it can be done.

I ordered these off of eBay to add a strip. Will let you know how it turns out. Should be able to use the quick connector to just add onto the end of the existing strip.

5050 3528 RGB led strip connector + wire cable extension any feet solderless

image.jpgimage.jpg

RGB 5050 WATERPROOF SMD Flexible strip 300 led lights5 meters 16.4 feet IP65 NEW

image.jpgimage.jpg

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I just ordered these off of eBay to add a strip. Will let you know how it turns out. Should just be able to use the quick connector to just add onto the end of the existing strip.

Great, thanks! I'll wait to hear before I try it, but sounds easy enough...even for me .

#40 9 years ago

I installed an extra LED strip under the backbox today. Just wired it in series with the bottom backbox strip using the connector I posted earlier. It works great to light up the back of the playfield. The first couple pics show it going from red to blue.

Also color matched the inserts and upgraded the GI with Comet Twin 2835 SMD's. The color matched inserts make a huge difference.

Overall, I think the game went from being a little dark and washed out to perfect.

IMG_0876.JPGIMG_0876.JPG IMG_0879.JPGIMG_0879.JPG IMG_0862.JPGIMG_0862.JPG IMG_0864.JPGIMG_0864.JPG IMG_0886.JPGIMG_0886.JPG IMG_0888.JPGIMG_0888.JPG
#41 9 years ago

Just a quick note that I did the exact same thing Luckymoey did today to mine. I love it and it really brightens things up.

Thanks for the suggestion and the help with this!

#42 9 years ago

We need to bombard Chuck with emails so he'll offer these great ideas as pre-installed options.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

We need to bombard Chuck with emails so he'll offer these great ideas as pre-installed options.

I'd pay a bit extra to have this factory installed on my game!

#44 9 years ago

Brighter, color-matched insert bulbs upgrade
RGB light strip

Um... anything else?

#45 9 years ago

I agree, mines coming in a couple weeks and I'd pay extra to have the pinballbulbs kit preinstalled + other lighting enhancements.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I agree, mines coming in a couple weeks and I'd pay extra to have the pinballbulbs kit preinstalled + other lighting enhancements.

Random update
We shipped out first amh kit few days ago. Not on The site yet to buy as it's being tested by this customer. Im at the hospital at the moment having a baby so add a few days extra for it beingadd.

More like my wife is having a baby and I'm just walking and panicking

#47 9 years ago

What would be great is to get the GI at 6.3v instead of 5V so that the LED bulbs glow at the normal brightness.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

What would be great is to get the GI at 6.3v instead of 5V so that the LED bulbs glow at the normal brightness.

Don't quote me on this, but didn't maybe Ben in a thread mention it was updated to around 6volts? Maybe I made that up, so he'd need to comment of course

#49 9 years ago

No, we use the 5 volt line for GI. On the last 15 or so games Chuck dials the PSU up to 5.2 to help a little but that's also used for some logic so we can't push it.

The 12 volt line could be put through a variable power regulator to get 6.3 volts but that might cause a brownout on the RGB lighting.

Amps are not unlimited

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Brighter, color-matched insert bulbs upgrade
RGB light strip
Um... anything else?

I added one double spotlight on the right to light the helevator and playfield a bit, but I think that' s good now with the RGB strip and brighter color-matched bulbs.

I may add a purple or blue LED strip under the flippers as well, but that may be more personal preference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-and-easy-amh-lighting-enhancement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.