(Topic ID: 149534)

Free 27" med rez monitors (for your help)

By CaptainNeo

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I have 2 cruisin USA sit down drivers. I want to convert them both to flat screens. both have 27" (i think) med rez monitors in them. One works perfect. the other works but the vertical hold went out, so you see what's going on, but it's displayed on a line.

If you help me convert them, you can have and keep both monitors. Med rez monitors are very expensive and high in demand. Also, would like it if you could go through the games and make sure everything is working good and all the hardware is working like it should be. I would buy the VGA converters and displays, just let me know what I should get. Need someone local to SE WI. So milwaukee/chicago area. both games startup , link and play. So they would only need minor tweeking if anything.

#2 3 years ago

You will be disappointed in flat screen lcds I tried to do this with 2 off-road thunders and ended up getting my originals repaired by skip from coin op service for less than 100 bucks. The problem is that the colors are made to look good on crt and play to the scan lines. I tried just about everything before giving up...converter boards, scan line generators, monitors vs TV...just get the originals repaired by skip...totally worth it.

#3 3 years ago

Btw the vertical hold sounds like a relatively simple fix...I assumed you tried adjusting it via the control board?

#4 3 years ago

As long as you get good lcd screens with large viewing areas they can look amazing. If you want the monitors you have fixed drop me a pm But I would convert, i believe the last set we did we spent 350 per lcd.

#5 3 years ago

i've watched plenty of video of cruisins converted and they look pretty damn good.

With the vertical, I tried to adjust and realized there are not adjustment pots for it. Must be hardwired. One has adjustment pots, the other does not.

#6 3 years ago

Hrmm ive seen orts and mario kart gp 2 conversions.. Both looked better with good crt monitors. Brighter colors, no notable pixelation...I've seen these side by side too.

#7 3 years ago

What lcd's will you be using? Will they be 4:3 like the 27" crt's or will they be 16:9 like most lcd's?

I've been wanting a large 4:3 lcd for my MAME cabinet.

#8 3 years ago

I got completely fed up with these 20+yr old med res crts so i convert all of my older drivers to flat screen now and every one ends up earning more on location with the lcd in it and that's all that matters to me. I've used cheaper lcd tv's in the past but they're getting harder to find with vga connector and the auto-on feature.

I used AOC 28" LED computer monitors for the last 3 that i've converted, but looks like tigerdirect is out of stock i paid $168 shipped for the last ones. PC monitors always have auto-on and vga unlike the newer tv's. I found a Viewsonic on there for $175 right now, but you can shop around for better deals. I saw on KLOV that you can mount a 32" with some modifications to the tv case and it will be an exact match to the original 25" display, but my games are for my route and they look good with 28s and it's cheaper.

Here's a list of what i use to convert them. You will also need some nuts and bolts to attach the flat bar together. i use spare carriage bolts from coin doors. My brother bought a plastic LCD bezel from HAPP for the cruisn in his gameroom and it looks perfect. i just make one from black poster board when needed. I also build custom connectors for the power and rgb/sync cables on the cga/vga converter so it's plug and play with the original system, but you can easily hack them in.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9635896&CatId=5469

ebay.com link » Ul 16awg Pdu Power Monitor Adapter Cord 1 Ft C14 To 5 15r

ebay.com link » M4x12mm Tv To Wall Mount Bracket Phillips Bolts Screws Stainless Vesa 75 100

you will need four 2' sections of slotted flat bar. i buy two 4 footers and cut them in half. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-3-8-in-x-48-in-Zinc-Plated-Punched-Steel-Flat-Bar-with-1-16-in-Thick-802067/204225777

ebay.com link » Genuine Gonbes Gbs8200 Cga Ega Yuv Rgb To Vga Arcade Game Video Converter Latest

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=201214

#9 3 years ago

Hi Sanctum, How long does this set up last before the lcd or conv. bd. needs to be repaired or replaced? Thanks Joe

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

I got completely fed up with these 20+yr old med res crts so i convert all of my older drivers to flat screen now and every one ends up earning more on location with the lcd in it and that's all that matters to me. I've used cheaper lcd tv's in the past but they're getting harder to find with vga connector and the auto-on feature.
    I used AOC 28" LED computer monitors for the last 3 that i've converted, but looks like tigerdirect is out of stock i paid $168 shipped for the last ones. PC monitors always have auto-on and vga unlike the newer tv's. I found a Viewsonic on there for $175 right now, but you can shop around for better deals. I saw on KLOV that you can mount a 32" with some modifications to the tv case and it will be an exact match to the original 25" display, but my games are for my route and they look good with 28s and it's cheaper.
    Here's a list of what i use to convert them. You will also need some nuts and bolts to attach the flat bar together. i use spare carriage bolts from coin doors. My brother bought a plastic LCD bezel from HAPP for the cruisn in his gameroom and it looks perfect. i just make one from black poster board when needed. I also build custom connectors for the power and rgb/sync cables on the cga/vga converter so it's plug and play with the original system, but you can easily hack them in.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9635896&CatId=5469
    ebay.com link » Ul 16awg Pdu Power Monitor Adapter Cord 1 Ft C14 To 5 15r
    ebay.com link » M4x12mm Tv To Wall Mount Bracket Phillips Bolts Screws Stainless Vesa 75 100
    you will need four 2' sections of slotted flat bar. i buy two 4 footers and cut them in half. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-3-8-in-x-48-in-Zinc-Plated-Punched-Steel-Flat-Bar-with-1-16-in-Thick-802067/204225777
    ebay.com link » Genuine Gonbes Gbs8200 Cga Ega Yuv Rgb To Vga Arcade Game Video Converter Latest
    http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=201214

awesome info. I'll start here assembling the stuff I need. Any suggestions for the converters to use? I know some of the older ones do not have the best selections for adjustments to keep the screen from jumping and stuff.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

awesome info. I'll start here assembling the stuff I need. Any suggestions for the converters to use? I know some of the older ones do not have the best selections for adjustments to keep the screen from jumping and stuff.

This is important. The one I got for my Golden Tee 2005 produced bad colors at medium resolution. Most people use them for CGA so it probably goes un-noticed. I wound up putting a 27" tube monitor back in it. The ones being sold online look just like the one I had, but maybe they've improved in the last couple years.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Any suggestions for the converters to use?

i use this exact one and never had any issues with them.

Quoted from joe2012:

Hi Sanctum, How long does this set up last before the lcd or conv. bd. needs to be repaired or replaced? Thanks Joe

Hi Joe my oldest arcade equipment with lcd displays have been running pretty much everyday for 6-7yrs without any issues but i'm sure a component could fail at anytime. I have some megatouch lcd panels that have died after 8-10yrs of use so i'd be happy with that timeframe.

#13 3 years ago

Hi Sanctum, Do your think your setup would work in a Fast And Furious sitdown? Thanks for your help. Joe

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from joe2012:

Hi Sanctum, Do your think your setup would work in a Fast And Furious sitdown? Thanks for your help. Joe

Yes, it is the same exact cabinet as Cruisn Exotica, also F&F already has a VGA output on the Raw Thrills I/O board so you won't need the VGA conversion board for it.

#15 3 years ago

I would try to squeeze in the biggest panel possible. Here's a link to a 32" in a Midway cab running 4:3.
    http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=307698

#16 3 years ago

Thanks for the info. Joe

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from joe2012:

Thanks for the info. Joe

You're welcome. It's nice that the I/O board connected to the Dell PC has dip switches for EGA/VGA/CGA so adding a LCD is plug and play with the Fast & Furious setup. You can purchase a drop-in LCD kit from HAPP or build one for less than half the cost if you're into that kinda stuff.

#18 3 years ago

thanks for the info. Now it's just finding the right TV/monitor that can fit 28 1/4" dimension. I'd like to maximize this as much as possible.

#19 3 years ago

I was using the same Insignia 32" panels as the one shown in the Offroad conversion, but last time i went to get them at Best Buy they removed the VGA input and it only had HDMI. I've never messed with HDMI signal conversions maybe somebody knows something about it.
    ebay.com link » Insignia 32 Class 31 1 2 Diag Led 720p Hdtv Black

#20 3 years ago

AV tech friend of mine just said this is what i'd need to convert HDMI to VGA
    ebay.com link » 1080p Hdmi Male To Vga Female Video Converter Adapter Cable Pc Dvd Hdtv Tv New

#21 3 years ago

Best policy when it come to monitors in arcade machines... CRT or GTFO. Personal preference.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

AV tech friend of mine just said this is what i'd need to convert HDMI to VGA
    ebay.com link » 1080p Hdmi Male To Vga Female Video Converter Adapter Cable Pc Dvd Hdtv Tv New

and this will work with the conversion board and not screw anything up? If this works, it really opens up new possibilities for TV's available.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 59.00
    $ 159.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 199.99
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 89.99
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside